• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to be magician to guess that more Zelda news are coming (especially before the early April, when the Game Informer issue will be released).

Request i have, could you include a little translation or a short sentence what the text is about if you post tweets/stuff not in english? ^^

It seems Twitter removes the translation option.
Of course! "Ah, finally the smell of aggressive marketing for Zelda approaching... glorious times 🤤"

Request i have, could you include a little translation or a short sentence what the text is about if you post tweets/stuff not in english? ^^

It seems Twitter removes the translation option.
I agree with this.

Here's what Google lens says:

"Ah, finally the whiff of aggressive marketing for Zelda approaching... times of glory"

The translate button is still on Tweetdeck. You know, until Tweetdeck becomes Twitter Blue only...

"I have to say, I'm already getting tired of the incessant marketing of TotK, we're getting spoiler so many spoilers that come may 12th we'll know pretty much everything and why would we even buy the game at that point? You can see how Nintendo is not confident in the game and is trying to show every little thing before release in hope that more people will buy the game, why can't we play games anymore without knowing anything before it even releases? I miss the old days where you discovered everything in game instead of seeing it in the trailer, I ask them to stop this and bring back the old days of mistery in videogames" cit. A competent Nintendo fan

Coming to this thread to find out that I'm not a competent Nintendo fan.
cover1.jpg

Necro Felipe is hit and miss and I think he hints at more things than what he actually knows about, but usually for marketing related stuff he's okay.

To be fair, whether that person knows something or not

I think most of us had in our mind that after Bayonetta Origins releases it would be about time for the Zelda marketing to pick up eh?

To be fair, whether that person knows something or not

I think most of us had in our mind that after Bayonetta Origins releases it would be about time for the Zelda marketing to pick up eh?

While I expect a new trailer at the end of this month/early April, let's not forget that Advance Wars is also coming out in April. They will make space for that as well.

While I expect a new trailer at the end of this month/early April, let's not forget that Advance Wars is also coming out in April. They will make space for that as well.
I am sure they will market Advance Wars as low as possible. (and that's coming April 21st and they are not waiting that long obviously at that time everything TotK will be done and we will just be getting tweets/ads for the game).

I suspect Advance Wars will be less of a factor, not because of the scale/quality/circumstances of the game, but mostly because it doesn't seem to have ever been a primarily NCL backed product (it never had a Japanese release date set for it). TOTK is a global effort.

We need a proper thread to speak freely and discuss about concerns (valid/invalid) for Totk. This is clearly not the right place.
What determines an "invalid" concern? Criticism of the concern by others? In that case is this thread not already the right place?

I suspect Advance Wars will be less of a factor, not because of the scale/quality/circumstances of the game, but mostly because it doesn't seem to have ever been a primarily NCL backed product (it never had a Japanese release date set for it). TOTK is a global effort.
Not to mention the entire reason the game was delayed (the war in Ukraine) is still happening. I think they'll do as little as possible to try and promote this war game.

The fact that Advance Wars only had 40 seconds heads up in the Direct, with even only cutscene and no gameplay shown pretty much tells you they want to release it quickly as possible without even properly marketing it due to war in Ukraine.

I can’t argue against this individual’s anecdotal experience but I have a hard time believing this is the prevailing thought amongst “casuals” at this point. The $70 price increase generated a lot of headlines so for that reason alone, most people are aware that a) there is a new Zelda coming out and b) it has a name. Those tweets honestly seem made up to me.
yeah i was going to say none of that actually happened lol. Just someone whose upset with the marketing of the game

I would just like to state for the record that my general incompetence and my Nintendo fanhood are two unrelated personal problems.

What determines an "invalid" concern? Criticism of the concern by others? In that case is this thread not already the right place?
Any criticism that doesn’t align with our own view or ignorance of certain themes, like what happened to me when I was talking about bad marketing, and how I changed my mind when some people explained patiently about it.

And not every post of criticism about others concerns have been respectful. We even have people laughing/making fun of someone else’s opinions.

Some of us have already dragged this thread to some topics, like marketing, that not everyone wants to talk/discuss about it.

It's March 27th and Nintendo tweets:

Tune in 3/28 at 2 p.m PT for a world-first gameplay of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom featuring the game producer Mr. Aonuma and game director Mr. Fujibayashi. Join us in Hyrule for roughly 20 minutes of first ever gameplay footage.
It will be May 11 and Nintendo will tweet "Hope you people are excited for Zelda TotK launching tomorow"
And it will be fine. Game will sell the same anyway.

I am sure they will market Advance Wars as low as possible. (and that's coming April 21st and they are not waiting that long obviously at that time everything TotK will be done and we will just be getting tweets/ads for the game).
Not to mention the entire reason the game was delayed (the war in Ukraine) is still happening. I think they'll do as little as possible to try and promote this war game.

The entire reason for the delay is because they could not market it just as the war was starting and completely dominating headlines. If they never had the intention to market it in any way they would have already released the game without any fanfare. They delayed it so they could somewhat market it as it releases.

We will for sure see at the least an overview trailer, launch trailer, previews and reviews. They will make space for these.

The entire reason for the delay is because they could not market it just as the war was starting and completely dominating headlines. If they never had the intention to market it in any way they would have already released the game without any fanfare. They delayed it so they could somewhat market it as it releases.

We will for sure see at the least an overview trailer, launch trailer, previews and reviews.
Reviews for sure, probably a few previews, and maybe a launch trailer but I don't see a big overview trailer happening. I could be wrong but I don't think they'll bother giving it that much attention, also because it's a remake.

Reviews for sure, probably a few previews, and maybe a launch trailer but I don't see a big overview trailer happening. I could be wrong but I don't think they'll bother giving it that much attention, also because it's a remake.

Remakes/remasters get overview trailers like new releases do (SM3DAS, Skyward Sword HD, Link's Awakening, XC1, etc). It will probably release next week which is the usual timing for them.

If Nintendo just put out a press release/statement/developer interview where they said something like, "the new explorable areas in the sky/underground/seas/etc. are as large as the map from BotW" I would be satisfied. I just need some confirmation that the majority of this game takes place in new areas and not the BotW map. It doesn't have to be a trailer.

Question: where would I be able to find high quality screenshots of the newest trailer? I see them scattered across a bunch of different articles but many are still missing ones that I know exist online.

EDIT: I also remember there being talk here of which of the Nintendo channels had the highest quality trailer. Does anyone remember which one it was?

Last edited:

I'm expecting the worse case scenario for that game's marketing unfortunately. Zelda TOTK marketing will have way more than AW Re-boot Camp.

but I'll be surprised if Nintendo does a healthy push for that since they held off due to the Ukraine/Russia war the past year.

So I looked at when Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3 press previews were. Both were about 3 weeks away from launch.

Xenoblade 3 Preview July 7th release July 29th
Splatoon 3 Preview Aug 24th release sept. 8th

Any criticism that doesn’t align with our own view or ignorance of certain themes, like what happened to me when I was talking about bad marketing, and how I changed my mind when some people explained patiently about it.

And not every post of criticism about others concerns have been respectful. We even have people laughing/making fun of someone else’s opinions.

Some of us have already dragged this thread to some topics, like marketing, that not everyone wants to talk/discuss about it.
so you want to make another thread that only aligns with your view to complain about the marketing of the game?

No, I want a thread where people can express safely their own concerns and engage in fair discussions, and not be mocked for them.

I'm writing this with good intentions and please correct me if I'm wrong: expressing concerns about the game and its marketing is a valid opinion. But where does that lead the discussion? It's the same posts over and over. The game is out in less than 60 days. The marketing will ramp up soon. We'll see more stuff. We ran outta things to say after the last trailer and the artbook leak, and a wave of overly dramatic posts filled the void.

Come on, I'm just a lil bit goofy here, no harm.
But tbf, I feel like you are being a bit hyperbolic, especially the "can express safely their own concerns" part. Maybe I have a different tolerance level when it comes to this stuff, but I don't feel like people have been particulary malicious in this discourse. If anything, the only remotely mean-spirited arguments comes from the "competent Nintendo fan" user, who is on Team "TotK marketing is shit". But again, I think the discussion is maintaining a fair level, so there is no need to split the pre-release thread.

I'm writing this with good intentions and please correct me if I'm wrong: expressing concerns about the game and its marketing is a valid opinion. But where does that lead the discussion? It's the same posts over and over. The game is out in less than 60 days. The marketing will ramp up soon. We'll see more stuff. We ran outta things to say after the last trailer and the artbook leak, and a wave of overly dramatic posts filled the void.
I was talking about general concerns, like the DLC perception for the game (something I don’t share tbh), the higher price in some countries, or other ones aside of marketing.

But I believe this has been discussed before, and as someone else above pointed this is the thread for my needs and desires, where we are going to engage in sane discussions. So sticking to this thread and not derailing it anymore seems like the best option.

AW getting a bigger spotlight right now over TOTK would make me happier tbh, because that game will need it much more. Not gonna happen, unfortunately

I mentioned it before, but do you guys think we will get a TotK cover story with one of the two big magazines (Edge, GameInformer)?
Back during the BotW pre-release phase, the GameInformer collab gave us the funny "Miyamoto & Aonuma rapid question" interview. I'd love to see something like this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom