• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just learned you can switch party members mid battle now, I guess that makes filling out the bestiary better

developed by ArtePiazza
ArtePiazza.
F-kT14HaQAA8XwV.jpg
F-kT14BaMAAGII3.jpg

This is great news because not only does SMRPG look great, it also means that everyone's top suspects for who was developing this (Grezzo, NDCube) must be working on other projects!
I guess that depends on how you define top suspects. NDCube was always fanciful given this type of game is far outside their wheelhouse.

That the remake was developed by a studio with close ties and a history with Square Enix and remakes of SE games makes the most sense given Square developed the game in the first place.

One thing I like about Mario RPG is that it presents us with a “what if?” Version of Mario’s world. At the time, it was the first game to envision what Mario’s world was like outside of his traditional 2d platformers and Mario Kart. I love what they came up with, the team at square did a great job at giving Mario’s world texture without having much to work on.

An example of this is toad town and peaches castle. Super Mario RPG presents these locations as something more aligned with traditional European architecture, where as in other Mario RPG titles, these locations became a little more homogenized and fantastical. Peaches castle took on its form as presented in mario 64, and toad town got to have more rounded structures, more suited to the short rounded stature of the toads.

Also in some ways it doesn’t feel like a mario game because it’s world is so different than what we are used to from paper mario or the mario and luigi games, but that’s what I like about it. Its world, art, and character designs just ooze with atmosphere. It’s the same sensation I get from playing the original dkc trilogy. Mario RPG is its own unique universe, a different take on Mario that has not been revisited until now. And I’m glad they kept the art style faithful to that original release, because the game was able to keep its identity

ArtePiazza is pretty obvious in hindsight, lol
I thought about ArtePiazza multiple times since announcement, but SMRPG just looked a bit higher budget than the stuff they've been making recently, so I just brushed them off.

The idea that a company behind tons of dragon quest remakes would be behind SMRPG remake makes a lot of sense. Kinda makes me think this is going to be a one off remake and nothing more, which honestly I’m okay with that considering I never even thought this was exist to begin with

The idea that a company behind tons of dragon quest remakes would be behind SMRPG remake makes a lot of sense. Kinda makes me think this is going to be a one off remake and nothing more, which honestly I’m okay with that considering I never even thought this was exist to begin with
On the other hand, I wonder if this is a litmus test of sorts. If this SMRPG remake does well, then perhaps SE and Nintendo now have a designated team to make more and new like it.

After all, among other things, they may not be so needed for their older role with the DQ series, now that DQ3-HD provides a possibility for what the next wave of DQ game remakes will look like.

It was always ridiculous people latched onto studios like NDCube because of the UI aesthetic, of all things.
I went with TOSE for the longest.

Wrong squad, but it ended up being another with a close association with DQ, anyway!

It's crazy that it achieved probably 1080p 60fps when docked, with better graphics than Pokemon BD/SP created with the same Unity.
I expected it to be the NintendoWare Bezel Engine used in Mario Party.
BD/SP only had like a year in development. So it's not really Unity's fault to begin with.

Well.. my guess of an internal Square Enix team wasn't so off, since ArtePiazza is their partner and not Nintendo's.

Still, the CG animations is problably made by the same studio that do this stuff all the time for Square; even Balan Wonderworld had that.

I certainly hope the ArtePiazza remake isn’t the only thing we get SMRPG related for them. Hopefully they make a sequel, and it’d be in Nintendo’s best interest to keep churning Mario content, what with the sequel to the Mario movie probably coming in three+ years

I certainly hope the ArtePiazza remake isn’t the only thing we get SMRPG related for them. Hopefully they make a sequel, and it’d be in Nintendo’s best interest to keep churning Mario content, what with the sequel to the Mario movie probably coming in three+ years

Artepiazza doesn't really make many new games going by their history, so I j wouldn't bet on something from them specifically. They're very much a remaster/remake studio.

On the other hand, I wonder if this is a litmus test of sorts. If this SMRPG remake does well, then perhaps SE and Nintendo now have a designated team to make more and new like it.

After all, among other things, they may not be so needed for their older role with the DQ series, now that DQ3-HD provides a possibility for what the next wave of DQ game remakes will look like.
if this is a test, I'm gonna bet that SE won't have anything to do with a SMRPG2. maybe if Nintendo wants to bring Geno and Mallow back, but I can see Nintendo ditching them as far as importance goes

Can we all please stop pretending that every remake is a dress rehearsal for the developer to become the new home of a franchise and will start churning out sequels?

It wasn't the case for WayForward and Advance Wars, it's not the case for ArtePiazza and SMRPG.

Can we all please stop pretending that every remake is a dress rehearsal for the developer to become the new home of a franchise and will start churning out sequels?

It wasn't the case for WayForward and Advance Wars, it's not the case for ArtePiazza and SMRPG.
Advanced wars just came out, how would you know if we won’t get a continuation? And why would they even remake this game over the countless other Nintendo RPG’s if they didn’t have any potential plans for it in the future? I’m not saying this game is 100% getting a sequel or anything, but if the remake seels well why would they not make more

Advanced wars just came out, how would you know if we won’t get a continuation? And why would they even remake this game over the countless other Nintendo RPG’s if they didn’t have any potential plans for it in the future? I’m not saying this game is 100% getting a sequel or anything, but if the remake seeks well why would they not make more
1. WayForward moved on to other projects after work on AW wrapped before its extensive delay, Re-Boot Camp wasn't given a worldwide release, and the recent sales figures suggest Nintendo had either very limited expectations for it, or it tanked.
2. Super Mario RPG is a remake of a 25+ year old game that a lot of people have nostalgia for, but didn't receive a worldwide release in its day. That's enough reason to remake it as a one-off project. Further, people involved in the creation of SMRPG on the SNES already went on to make the Mario & Luigi RPG series, which eventually ran itself into the ground.

1. WayForward moved on to other projects after work on AW wrapped before its extensive delay, Re-Boot Camp wasn't given a worldwide release, and the recent sales figures suggest Nintendo had either very limited expectations for it, or it tanked.
2. Super Mario RPG is a remake of a 25+ year old game that a lot of people have nostalgia for, but didn't receive a worldwide release in its day. That's enough reason to remake it as a one-off project. Further, people involved in the creation of SMRPG on the SNES already went on to make the Mario & Luigi RPG series, which eventually ran itself into the ground.

Not that I expect a new AW anytime soon but.

Advance wars not having a worldwide release is nothing new; it's a series that exists basically entirely for PAL and NA regions. Advance wars 1/2 only got a really late port to Japan as a double pack years after the fact; Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict only got released as a DSiware freebie later and never actually sold. They've outright said before that the games don't sell in Japan and have done much better elsewhere.

Nintendo obviously had reasonable sales expectations for it; they're not going to have expected a series that has never had a million seller, and in all likelihood was not close to the bar either, to suddenly become a multimillion behemoth.

if this is a test, I'm gonna bet that SE won't have anything to do with a SMRPG2. maybe if Nintendo wants to bring Geno and Mallow back, but I can see Nintendo ditching them as far as importance goes
if IS started make real Paper Mario games after the TTYD remake that'd work.

if IS started make real Paper Mario games after the TTYD remake that'd work.

It never stops with the hot takes with you.

They've already got a "real" paper mario game on switch, and it's great. It's stuff like this that makes me think things like having anticipation for the day if it so happens that Origami kings sales are more than TTYD.

Last edited:
Boy, it never stops with the hot takes with you.

They've already got a "real" paper mario game on switch, and it's great. It's stuff like this that makes me think things like having anticipation for the day if it so happens that Origami kings sales are more than TTYD.
tok is a shadow of a paper mario game, even metacritic agrees all the modern sticker star games are worse than prior entries.

Hopefully the sales of the SMRPG remake and TTYD are enough to convince Nintendo there's a need for a Mario RPG series.

How is this anyone else's fault but your own? People are allowed not to like TOK. Deal with it.

tok is a shadow of a paper mario game, even metacritic agrees all the modern sticker star games are worse than prior entries.

Hopefully the sales of the SMRPG remake and TTYD are enough to convince Nintendo there's a need for a Mario RPG series.
How is this anyone else's fault but your own? People are allowed not to like TOK. Deal with it.
Would you both stop bring "real" Paper Mario discourse in here?

Why would you not continue to work with SE/Artepiazza if the remake does well? Having 3rd parties make exclusives for you frees up your internal teams to work on other projects.

Please try to remain cordial in your exchanges and don't accuse other users of "backseat modding". – Party Sklar, meatbag, MissingNo., big lantern ghost
Would you both stop bring "real" Paper Mario discourse in here?

I did not say anything about "Real" Paper Mario. Nice backseat modding.

I do not understand the tone the thread is taking. Let’s all agree to disagree. Paper Mario stopped being what 64/TTYD were with Super. I’ve come to terms with that and have enjoyed Super, Sticker Star, Color Splash and Origami King.

Would I like a new Paper Mario game to take after 64/TTYD? Yes.

Will that happen?
I dunno.

Will I support next Paper Mario?
Depends if I like it.

It’s my personal belief that, with each passing Paper Mario game, the devs are somewhat closing in on the more older games. Color Splash and Origami felt like steps in the right direction.

I’m veeery excited for the TTYD Remake.

Does that mean that Intelligent System will base the newer games more on TTYD?
No necessarily, but it could happen.

Already, you could say that Origami is an extrapolated TTYD, with a battle mechanic change and elements from SS/CS

—————

Why would you not continue to work with SE/Artepiazza if the remake does well? Having 3rd parties make exclusives for you frees up your internal teams to work on other projects.
It also means more games to churn out. If Nintendo internally can make, hypothetically, three games, Arte can add another one

Paper Mario fans should come together and embrace how great Origami King is so we can get to the real matters at hand and how Mario & Luigi is stuck in purgatory.

I didn’t realise that the English Overview highlighted the Extra Shiny Stone with that specific syntax. Does that imply that facing Culex with just a normal Shiny Stone leads to the party getting booted back out to the sealed door again, only this time gated by the Extra Shiny Stone? Hmm…

ArtePiazza, sure. that's not the part I'm getting at. it's SE's connection. they're only here because all the OG characters are owned by SE. but we also know they're not needed to sell a Mario rpg. if there's anything to take from this game's inevitable success, it's that people still like traditional-ass Mario rpg, not "SE is a major aspect in selling the game"

I'd wait a bit for WayForward (Re-Boot Camp was released less than a year ago!), but I agree with your general sentiment -- especially since the ArtePiazza guys have only done (great) remakes.

I also don't think that Mario RPG needs a sequel. Mario RPG already had two sequels. It's unclear what a "proper" sequel would bring to the table -- except maybe reintroducing Geno & Mallow, but they can already appear in other games.
I do not understand the tone the thread is taking. Let’s all agree to disagree. Paper Mario stopped being what 64/TTYD were with Super. I’ve come to terms with that and have enjoyed Super, Sticker Star, Color Splash and Origami King.

Would I like a new Paper Mario game to take after 64/TTYD? Yes.

Will that happen?
I dunno.

Will I support next Paper Mario?
Depends if I like it.

It’s my personal belief that, with each passing Paper Mario game, the devs are somewhat closing in on the more older games. Color Splash and Origami felt like steps in the right direction.

I’m veeery excited for the TTYD Remake.

Does that mean that Intelligent System will base the newer games more on TTYD?
No necessarily, but it could happen.

Already, you could say that Origami is an extrapolated TTYD, with a battle mechanic change and elements from SS/CS

—————

It also means more games to churn out. If Nintendo internally can make, hypothetically, three games, Arte can add another one
I'd add:
Should we put Origami King in the same pile as SS and CS?
No. And this is regardless of what you think about its quality.

ArtePiazza, sure. that's not the part I'm getting at. it's SE's connection. they're only here because all the OG characters are owned by SE. but we also know they're not needed to sell a Mario rpg. if there's anything to take from this game's inevitable success, it's that people still like traditional-ass Mario rpg, not "SE is a major aspect in selling the game"
There's no reason to scorn SE here though. Working with them is clearly a positive for both companies as we've seen with quiet a few titles like Octopath Traveler and Live A Live. It would be like not working with Ubisoft off the success of the first Mario + Rabbids title since "Nintendo can make their own Mario strategy rpg without Ubisoft". Who knows what kind of cool things could happen if SE and Nintendo pooled together for a true Super Mario RPG 2.

Well it’s good to hear that the team behind it tend to put out good stuff. I just don’t know if I should bother getting it with the TTYD remake around the corner and the original not grabbing me as much

also how was this discovered btw? Did the game leak or something?
Games now available for preload (as in like, it's a week from release, so the game will actually download), and it looks like that means people can now check the intellection property information page from the home menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom