• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they add more. I’m tired of Nintendo’s remakes that are just 1:1. People are used to remakes nowadays adding more to the original game.
To me, it depends more on if they'll add something of worth, or if they'll do like the M&L remakes and try to add an extra mode of play that, at least in my opinion, could've been kept on the drawing board.

Assuming Fujioka really is back on board and in the director's chair, I really hope they give him the chance to revisit what he's considered to be his best work and make it even better. Really drum up support so that we can get that mandate for a true sequel!

To me, it depends more on if they'll add something of worth, or if they'll do like the M&L remakes and try to add an extra mode of play that, at least in my opinion, could've been kept on the drawing board.

Assuming Fujioka really is back on board and in the director's chair, I really hope they give him the chance to revisit what he's considered to be his best work and make it even better. Really drum up support so that we can get that mandate for a true sequel!

I really hope they add more. I’m tired of Nintendo’s remakes that are just 1:1. People are used to remakes nowadays adding more to the original game.
I think since the Battle System is a little different this time, it’s entirely plausible and possible that we will get some sort of new content. Whether it’s a new party member, an extra secret boss, maybe an extra star, who knows. But I seriously doubt it’s an exact 1:1 at this point.

wonder what they got planned for this guy

Super-Mario-RPG-Legend-of-Seven-Stars-Culex.jpg

I honestly prefer the Nintendo approach to remakes.

I rarely if ever feel like they've destroyed something I liked about the original to bring the game up to more current standards. And that's often much more satisfying to me than games that should have just been sequels bringing new ideas paired with new content, but ended up doing something halfway between a sequel and a remake.

Another problem is that a lot of modern standards actually just straight up aren't improvements. A great example of this is the side quests in FFVII Remake. The game would probably be better if it didn't try to use modern side content design and instead...just had a map with secret things for people to find.

I honestly prefer the Nintendo approach to remakes.

I rarely if ever feel like they've destroyed something I liked about the original to bring the game up to more current standards. And that's often much more satisfying to me than games that should have just been sequels bringing new ideas paired with new content, but ended up doing something halfway between a sequel and a remake.

Another problem is that a lot of modern standards actually just straight up aren't improvements. A great example of this is the side quests in FFVII Remake. The game would probably be better if it didn't try to use modern side content design and instead...just had a map with secret things for people to find.
Adding stuff doesn't mean destroying the original, and recently the Nintendo approach has been to add on. Mario 3D World got Bowser's Fury, Xenoblade got Future Connected, Kirby's Return to Dream Land got Episode Magalor, Pikmin 3 got some new missions I think

I mean from what we see they’re actually adding to the combat. Which is like… the biggest thing they can possibly change lol.

I'm not familiar with Super Mario RPG, especially as it's never been released in Europe.

This game is really good ? What makes the game so special ? :)
It has very charming dialogue and scenarios with an iconic soundtrack and a simple but enjoyable battle system (which was iterated on by later Mario RPGs). Just the concept of Mario in an RPG was very novel and its more self-aware, playful tone was pretty different from most RPGs at the time. A lot of us played it as kids and for many of us it was our first real experience with RPGs so it was very formative.

I can't say how modern audiences will take to it, but I hope they loved it even half as much as I did.

I'm not familiar with Super Mario RPG, especially as it's never been released in Europe.

This game is really good ? What makes the game so special ? :)
The short version is it's an RPG made by Square at arguably the peak of their RPG-making power, but also Nintendo was involved so they were forced to actually make it fun.

That last parts kind of a joke, but also not entirely so

A slightly longer version is it's the grandfather of the rpg branch of the Mario series (both Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi share a lot of its DNA), meaning it fleshes out the Mario world and its characters more than previous games had, had plenty of funny and clever writing, and implemented a battle system that was more likely to keep you engaged compared to other turn-based RPGs of the time.

I wonder if we'll get a mini Direct for the game to introduce the gameplay a bit more before release.
I don't think there's a lot to go over. It'll likely get an extended focus in the September Direct and maybe a couple of Tweet videos. I'm not expecting any new content other than tweaks to the battle system, but I'd love to be wrong!

Something that looks like it belongs in Final Fantasy XV would be another valid way to modernize him.
I was thinking this too. I never knew about the Japanese dialogue or that he was supposed to read as 'flat' compared to the rest until this thread. I always thought the joke was to juxtapose the higher detail/darker/Amano Final Fantasy aesthetic with the cartoony Mario one

Crystaller/Culex is but one of several things I wonder about when it comes to this game. The other big one being the script (in both languages). How much of the Woolsey will remain? How much of the numerous 80s/90s anime references?

Hell, Culex, in itself, works well as somewhat reference to Golbez (to go along with the boss theme music used), but I'd be amiss if I didn't think Crystaller and his original dialogue are better to reference FF as a whole.

we already know they're keeping the terms "Smithy" and "Smithy Gang" for the game from its eShop description

Can’t wait to get obliterated by Culex :)

Fun fact: I never beat Culex in my original playthrough. I Also never beat Smithy because 16 year old me didn’t want the game to be over. Looking forward to some closure!!

I wasn't around back in the day. Did Charles Martinet voice Mario and friends in the original game? Will his changing position affect this game?

I wasn't around back in the day. Did Charles Martinet voice Mario and friends in the original game? Will his changing position affect this game?
Mario was completely silent in the original iirc, he communicated via charades. There was also no Luigi (only in the instruction booklet) and no Wario (Waluigi didn't exist yet).

Nope. Martinet's only Mario roles prior to Mario 64 were a couple minigame collections on PC, and Mario RPG came out a few months before Mario 64.

Mario was completely silent in the original iirc, he communicated via charades. There was also no Luigi (only in the instruction booklet) and no Wario (Waluigi didn't exist yet).
While Luigi did appear briefly in the game's credits (and is implied to make a wish about wishing to be famous like his brother), he is certainly absent from most of the game.

It's funny that Luigi got a brief appearance because he would otherwise be as present as nurse Peach (who actually never appeared in the Dr. Mario game at all, despite appearing in the manual).

Thank you for reading.

Between team attacks and timed hits letting you do AoE attacks, you're able to put out way more damage in the remake, huh

I'm a little worried they might not have rebalanced the game around it...

Wow, this looks really fun! I like these new features as well. I'll consider picking this up for sure!

I will still buy this and am more excited for this than Thousand Year door, but it is weird they would announce a 2024 Mario RPG series remake before a 2023 Mario RPG remake. Feels like they’re flooding the market.

Quoted by: Ab
So happy that there is a boss rematch option!

And the team attacks look incredible. Mallow and Mario raining down fire and ice from above in the clown copter? So cool!

I'm playing the hell out of this game and you can't stop me

By the way, i love beware of the forest mushrooms arrangement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom