• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
chara_world_6.png
Free Him.

The addition of an easy mode has me wondering how the game balance is on normal - since the original is usually regarded as being a pretty easy game already. But this has probably been rebalanced with the addition of the finisher attacks and other things, it looks like?

Really delighted that we're getting post-game boss rematches. But my favourite part of today's news might be the confirmation that Johnny is staying as a weird guy in a shark costume, haha.

SMRPG-Remake-Jonathan-Jones.png

I know it won't happen, but I wish the gameplay changes (AOE for timed attacks, triple move) were toggleable.

This is way up there as one of my favorite overworlds in gaming. Something about it just really makes you go "ooh, what's THAT location going to be like?" and really drew me in as a kid
Same, something about that miniature look really makes you wonder what is going on there

Listening to the new track renditions in the trailer again and I remain blown away. Forest Maze's especially makes me feel some good feels.

Also that whole sequence with Boomer looked sick as hell

SMRPG-Remake-Boomer.png
After hearing what Shimomura did with Megalomania with Live-a-Live HD… that final boss theme is going to be bonkers.

I will still buy this and am more excited for this than Thousand Year door, but it is weird they would announce a 2024 Mario RPG series remake before a 2023 Mario RPG remake. Feels like they’re flooding the market.
I feel like they're just trying to get these out there in quick succession before next gen.

I'm finally diving into some of the analysis videos of this game and whew, this definitely deserved the remake treatment.

Between details that were previously arguable as to their intent, and the widescreen eyesore "voids" all over the original, I'm so glad we are getting this.

Is this new for Nintendo RPGs? I know some other games like Persona have basically a “story” mode that makes the gameplay super easy for people who mostly want to experience the story but I’ve never seen anything like this before on Switch.
Not really? XCDE had and easy mode that made encounters trivial.

Is this new for Nintendo RPGs? I know some other games like Persona have basically a “story” mode that makes the gameplay super easy for people who mostly want to experience the story but I’ve never seen anything like this before on Switch.
There are not many Nintendo RPGs to begin with but all Switch Xenoblades have an easy mode that trivializes battles and modern Fire Emblems usually have difficulty modes separate from the casual/classic choice.

Guess Psychopath was a bit too perverse of a term to carry over (unless it's left intact in US localisation?)

For reference the original US quote from Wiggler is "I’m just a helpless wiggler..." (as per MarioWiki), and the Japanese is effectively how it's been translated here in the tweet ("わたしはキサクで、無害なイモムシなんだよ。" as per this website - scroll to ハナチャン), so this is European translation probably being faithful to Japanese as it has been for other games; I guess we'll wait for the US localisation to confirm if things have been done differently?

Wow, wasn't expecting a Beastiary! But it makes so much sense, the original had Players Guides, but this is a different time.

Love all the new things they are adding so far

Guess Psychopath was a bit too perverse of a term to carry over (unless it's left intact in US localisation?)

For reference the original US quote from Wiggler is "I’m just a helpless wiggler..." (as per MarioWiki), and the Japanese is effectively how it's been translated here in the tweet ("わたしはキサクで、無害なイモムシなんだよ。" as per this website - scroll to ハナチャン), so this is European translation probably being faithful to Japanese as it has been for other games; I guess we'll wait for the US localisation to confirm if things have been done differently?
Notice how many of Nintendo's rereleases seem a lot more faithful to the Japanese releases than previously - Luigi's Mansion 2 and Super Mario RPG don't have the subtitles, Another Code isn't changed to Trace Memory, etc.

I really wonder what the overall reception will be to the changes, since you constantly see people go down localisers' throats for the smallest changes of the Japanese script, but I feel like in this case people will call it "soulless" or something like that saying that it doesn't have the personality of the original (and probably lead to more debates about the "Mario mandates").

I really wonder what the overall reception will be to the changes, since you constantly see people go down localisers' throats for the smallest changes of the Japanese script, but I feel like in this case people will call it "soulless" or something like that saying that it doesn't have the personality of the original (and probably lead to more debates about the "Mario mandates").
On one hand (and especially if Square Enix is involved in any way), I could see some aspects of the older script surviving. "Spoony bard" survived all the way to this day, so why can't Toad and his bazooka?

And even in the case of the JP script, I wonder how much would still fly. At the very least, 90s anime/manga popculture references would fly right over the heads of most kids trying this game for the first time...

Square as the dev after all? Look at that first partly obscured line.

That doesn't mean anything necessarily. Any game where the super mario RPG original characters show up have a square copyright, since they own them. Like mario and Luigi superstar saga which has the small Geno cameo in one of the Minigames for example, meant that game had to have a squenix copyright.

That doesn't mean anything necessarily. Any game where the super mario RPG original characters show up have a square copyright, since they own them. Like mario and Luigi superstar saga which has the small Geno cameo in one of the Minigames for example, meant that game had to have a squenix copyright.
I think I've got the memo one week and three replies later lol

On one hand (and especially if Square Enix is involved in any way), I could see some aspects of the older script surviving. "Spoony bard" survived all the way to this day, so why can't Toad and his bazooka?

And even in the case of the JP script, I wonder how much would still fly. At the very least, 90s anime/manga popculture references would fly right over the heads of most kids trying this game for the first time...
While the spoony bard line has survived just because it's so iconic (and is also contextually correct, even if it is an unusual word choice), the remakes and remasters of the Final Fantasy and other games of the Ted Woolsey era (this is not a dunk on Woolsey. He had to localize entire games by himself under huge time crunches) have been retranslated and relocalized with scripts that are different.

A good example is Chrono Trigger. The DS/Steam release script is a major change from the SNES script. It's more accurate to the Japanese, fixes some mistakes present in the original localization, and re-writes characters like Ayla entirely so she isn't using broken English cave-person speech.

So there's a very strong chance that SMRPG's English script will be substantially different from the SNES version. Fans of the original will absolutely gripe about it (because there's always fans of the old that gripe when a retranslation is done), but that's just the nature of it.

Heck, Live A Live fans complained that Square Enix's remake localization didn't use the fan translation of the Super Famicom version.

SMRPG is one of my all time favorite games but I'm open to a new translation. It will be interesting to see how much of my fond memories are tied to Woolsey's script. I also imagine the Japanese script will already have changes and tweaks, anyway.

RIP to the Bruce Lee line lol

IIRC the original Japanese script was full of anime references, so I wonder what they'll do with this if the new English version is closer to the Japanese script. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Japanese script chooses to scrub all the references in favor of more generic dialogue, but it'd be nice if they tried to emulate the original's penchant for references even if they change most of them.

RIP to the Bruce Lee line lol

IIRC the original Japanese script was full of anime references, so I wonder what they'll do with this if the new English version is closer to the Japanese script. I wouldn't be surprised if the new Japanese script chooses to scrub all the references in favor of more generic dialogue, but it'd be nice if they tried to emulate the original's penchant for references even if they change most of them.
Considering how they kept ROB, the FF6 robot, Samus, and Discun (that’s how you spell his name, right?), I think they’ll keep the references

Honestly, I'd expect the Japanese script to only remove references if they aged in an offensive manner or could be a potential legal issue in a remake. I don't think they're going to scrub a pop culture reference just because it's thirty years old.

Considering how they kept ROB, the FF6 robot, Samus, and Discun (that’s how you spell his name, right?), I think they’ll keep the references
those are all Nintendo and SE references. they were gonna stay anyway. but stuff that might be references to old cartoons and comics are probably gonna be tossed. pop-culture references make stuff a period piece and I'm not sure Nintendo wants that

those are all Nintendo and SE references. they were gonna stay anyway. but stuff that might be references to old cartoons and comics are probably gonna be tossed. pop-culture references make stuff a period piece and I'm not sure Nintendo wants that
I mean a lot of those references are actually more well known now internationally in nerd circles tho

Really delighted that we're getting post-game boss rematches. But my favourite part of today's news might be the confirmation that Johnny is staying as a weird guy in a shark costume, haha.

How come I never noticed that??? I always thought it was a shark lol.... mindblown

This is more reality breaking then seeing how you're supposed to see Agahnim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom