• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all these remakes are done I think Nintendo is gonna pick 1 brand to be their "Mario RPG" staple and that'll be it.

Recall that Nintendo producers decided to change Paper Mario away from an RPG because of overlap with Mario & Luigi. This overlap didn't matter when one franchise was on console and the other on handhelds, but once Paper Mario went onto 3DS this changed because they wanted to differentiate the games from one another.

AlphaDream closing seems to put Mario & Luigi at its end. But I can't see Nintendo repeating this situation with trying to make both SMRPG and Paper Mario into their competing Mario RPG brands.

Well it’s good to hear that the team behind it tend to put out good stuff. I just don’t know if I should bother getting it with the TTYD remake around the corner and the original not grabbing me as much
I remember trying and not getting into Super Mario RPG when I was a lot younger, then last year doing it again and getting hooked. If I had managed to play through it as a kid, it might have been my favorite Mario RPG, as is I still think it holds up really well once you get into it, and that's just the original release.

After all these remakes are done I think Nintendo is gonna pick 1 brand to be their "Mario RPG" staple and that'll be it.

Recall that Nintendo producers decided to change Paper Mario away from an RPG because of overlap with Mario & Luigi. This overlap didn't matter when one franchise was on console and the other on handhelds, but once Paper Mario went onto 3DS this changed because they wanted to differentiate the games from one another.

AlphaDream closing seems to put Mario & Luigi at its end. But I can't see Nintendo repeating this situation with trying to make both SMRPG and Paper Mario into their competing Mario RPG brands.

Not to mention that, aside from purist fandom obsessions, they're all pretty much SMRPG sequels. There's less that makes these games different from each other than how one Final Fantasy is different from the other.

After like 10 Mario RPGs I don't really know what a direct sequel to SMRPG specifically could do to be so special aside for featuring Geno and Mallow.

They didn't decide to change it because of overlap with M&L, they decided to do something new routinely because they wanted to do something different.

Mario and Luigi is a prime example of why they did that. The mario and Luigi series stagnated, people stopped buying them, and the developer eventually collapsed completely because of it. None of those have been problems for paper mario because they've not been afraid to take it in new directions after two games of the same style, at most.

Last edited:
There's no reason to scorn SE here though. Working with them is clearly a positive for both companies as we've seen with quiet a few titles like Octopath Traveler and Live A Live. It would be like not working with Ubisoft off the success of the first Mario + Rabbids title since "Nintendo can make their own Mario strategy rpg without Ubisoft". Who knows what kind of cool things could happen if SE and Nintendo pooled together for a true Super Mario RPG 2.
I don't know how you're getting scorn out of my posts, but there ain't any there

and I don't think the Mario + Rabbids comparison works because there hasn't been a Mario SRPG before this as far as I know. but there's been two successors to Mario RPG with multiple games in the series, and even a crossover between the two. with Paper Mario TTYD coming out, IS and Tanabe can show they can still do RPGs, if they so choose so. Nintendo has options without SE. and it's not like SE can't come back, but the onus will either be on them convincing Nintendo of their ideas, or Nintendo not being able to spare resources and asking SE to pick up the task. the latter seems more likely. ArtePiazza probably got the job through recommendation from SE

SMRPG2 will probably be like 3 years out at minimum, so I'm just going to save all the gloating and the "I told you so"s about that being real for then and for now I'm just gonna enjoy SMRPG Remake happening at all lol

Now don't ya'll forget to get the Tetris 99 theme this weekend!

I remember trying and not getting into Super Mario RPG when I was a lot younger, then last year doing it again and getting hooked. If I had managed to play through it as a kid, it might have been my favorite Mario RPG, as is I still think it holds up really well once you get into it, and that's just the original release.
That’s more than fair. Like it does at least look fun to play when it comes to the battles. It was mainly the more isometric perspective and visual style that didn’t gel well with me. Had it been a 3D game, like the remake here, where the perspective is easier to deal with, I think I might have gotten more into it

Maybe I’ll shoot for it when I go for a voucher after I finish up a couple of games first

It was always ridiculous people latched onto studios like NDCube because of the UI aesthetic, of all things.
I always felt like it could have just been another studio referencing recent Mario spinoffs' UI design to fit in. They definitely looked at Mario Party Superstars for reference, but I never felt like that confirmed it was NDCube.

It was always ridiculous people latched onto studios like NDCube because of the UI aesthetic, of all things.
it was a stretch but when there's nothing else to go off of I think it's fair speculation, albeit shallow

Don't know about worldwide, but i'm 100% expecting it to blow past the other mario rpg's in Japan in term of sales, that’s way I think Nintendo will consider making a sequal

They didn't decide to change it because of overlap with M&L, they decided to do something new routinely because they wanted to do something different.

Mario and Luigi is a prime example of why they did that. The mario and Luigi series stagnated, people stopped buying them, and the developer eventually collapsed completely because of it. None of those have been problems for paper mario because they've not been afraid to take it in new directions after two games of the same style, at most.

Paper Mario was never in such danger because there was one entry per console. Even if it had stuck to being a turn-based RPG it's hard to imagine it suffering the same faith as Mario & Luigi. 3DS got four M&L games in a short time span and two of those were remakes of already perfectly playable originals.. It's sad but not surprising that the series and the dev collapsed. Too much and too fast with not enough innovation in between. Bowser's Insider Story remake was the most ridiculous one of all. The original is already playable on the 3DS and it even plays better than the remake. This was just pure mismanagement.

Paper Mario was created to fill the RPG Mario hole left after Mario RPG for home consoles and Nintendo was able to keep the series relevant by releasing entries rarely (One per system) So yeah I don't really buy that the series would be in anywhere near of a bad shape as the M&L games. What happened to M&L was complete mismanagement.

Please try to remain civil. This reply is way too hostile and dismissive for a fairly neutral post. - Tangerine Cookie, xghost777, meatbag

Neither of these remakes are out yet and people are already going off about how Nintendo is going to revert to their 2015 mindset on Mario’s RPG career.
I’m sorry but that’s just a load of nonsense. There was no point in remaking TTYD now considering Origami King was successful and reviewed well.

This is also definitely not the reason why Mario & Luigi went under but keep thinking that if you want I guess.

Maybe you guys just don’t know Nintendo’s higher-ups as well as you think you do.
A year ago, I can practically guarentee 99% of you would bet your first born child against Nintendo announcing a TTYD remake on top of a SMRPG remake which already seemed pretty out there.

Edit: This also isn’t the reason Sticker Star was changed either but whatever affirms your fantasies I guess.

Neither of these remakes are out yet and people are already going off about how Nintendo is going to revert to their 2015 mindset on Mario’s RPG career.
I’m sorry but that’s just a load of nonsense. There was no point in remaking TTYD now considering Origami King was successful and reviewed well.

This is also definitely not the reason why Mario & Luigi went under but keep thinking that if you want I guess.

Maybe you guys just don’t know Nintendo’s higher-ups as well as you think you do.
A year ago, I can practically guarentee 99% of you would bet your first born child against Nintendo announcing a TTYD remake on top of a SMRPG remake which already seemed pretty out there.

Edit: This also isn’t the reason Sticker Star was changed either but whatever affirms your fantasies I guess.
How about instead of chastising people you tell us what you’ve heard about why the series went under? This entire reply seems super hostile and the comment your responding to was not that way at all. Im not trying to backseat mod, but this is how forums get toxic

How about instead of chastising people you tell us what you’ve heard about why the series went under? This entire reply seems super hostile and the comment your responding to was not that way at all. Im not trying to backseat mod, but this is how forums get toxic
I didn't hear anything.

I made the connection that a dead system (which the 3DS was at the time, no getting around that) wouldn't be a good foundation for a remake of a Mario RPG title, of all things, to perform well.

did the game leak?

If it is I doubt we really need a spoiler thread considering well....the game has really been out for almost 30 yrars

Last edited:
I didn't hear anything.

I made the connection that a dead system (which the 3DS was at the time, no getting around that) wouldn't be a good foundation for a remake of a Mario RPG title, of all things, to perform well.
And also that it was a remake of a game already available on 3DS, released right after the holiday season where a lot of kids got a Switch and, as such, killed a lot of the 3DS' remaining audience.

Not to mention that, aside from purist fandom obsessions, they're all pretty much SMRPG sequels. There's less that makes these games different from each other than how one Final Fantasy is different from the other.

After like 10 Mario RPGs I don't really know what a direct sequel to SMRPG specifically could do to be so special aside for featuring Geno and Mallow.
Because of all these, I believe SMRPG is in a class of its own for two main things:

1) SMRPG plays it straight as a direct homage to classic turn-based RPGs. Mario and his party fit into, more or less, traditional "Job" roles that wouldn't be out of place in a FF or DQ. Battles are quick and brisk, with no need to insert mini-games that can extend an enemy encounter on one side, or just outright discourage the need to engage an enemy in the first place in the other. Just like playing a Dragon Quest or Bravely Default can actually be pretty refreshing in contrast to more modernized RPGs that emphasize cinematics, spectacle, and more action, it might be nice to get another Mario RPG that's comforting because it largely plays like a 90s Squaresoft/Enix RPG. Leaving Paper Mario free to do whatever it wants, among other things.

2) Building upon that, a previous poster put it aptly: SMRPG works well as a hallmark of an era where Mario's image and world weren't quite fully set in stone, and Squaresoft were allowed to go nuts by filing in the blanks with their own tropes and worldbuilding. Even now, RPG works as another "AU" that can just be expanded upon to be its own thing, especially since they're bothering to bring it back and largely the same way we left it. And hell, if Square Enix was to ever seriously entertain doing more FF/DQ crossovers with Mario, I always imagined it'd be better served in another Mario RPG than doing it in a sports game or board game.

Having different weapons that change the action commands and animations entirely, while also having party choice that isn't just a single partner. (Ok, Mario + Rabbids did that last part but that's an SRPG)
I think they could go way further with the party system and have more than just Mario and 4 others to fill other Final Fantasy job roles, even just with existing Mario characters.

Everyone wants SE Mario until Nomura gets his hands on it and introduces Xioram
Nomura would likely just introduce cool designs.

It's Nojima that you'd have to be concerned about, if you were worried about the introduction of time loops, Mario contemplating the meaning of life for one who has access to infinite 1ups and the Stars actually being cruel and indifferent overseers that actually delight in the cycle of continued violence from Mario and Bowser's never-ending conflict.

If a Mario RPG series continues on from here in any form I just hope that at least Peach and Bowser as core members of the main party stays as a regular thing.

And hell, if Square Enix was to ever seriously entertain doing more FF/DQ crossovers with Mario, I always imagined it'd be better served in another Mario RPG than doing it in a sports game or board game.

Now that would be sick. Mario + DQ is a match made in heaven, and Fortune Street is good but far from exploring its full potential.

The Mario RPG fandom online being stereotyped as completely toxic and hostile seems to unfortunately be completely accurate when I get a response like this.

Regarding the overlap, I recall Risa Tabata (producer on the Paper Mario series alongside Kensuke Tanabe) mentioning during a previous Paper Mario interview that they wanted to differentiate their game from Mario & Luigi.

Kotaku Interview on Color Splash

It’s a series that faces redundancy, as it is one of two ongoing series published regularly by Nintendo that could be classified as Mario-as-a-role-playing-game. The bad news for Paper Mario fans is that Nintendo seems to want to only have one series that fits that bill. That series is not Paper Mario.

Tabata: “In order to differentiate these two series that we have running concurrently, we’ve tried to focus more on the non-RPG elements for the Paper Mario games.”

When I asked Tabata back at E3 whether we should think of the new Paper Mario as an RPG, she said: “This game is an action-adventure.” She then explained what many Paper Mario fans have already deduced. “I’m sure you’re aware that, at Nintendo, we also have another series called the Mario & Luigi RPG series,” she said. “And so since we already have that established Mario & Luigi RPG series, in order to differentiate these two series that we have running concurrently, we’ve tried to focus more on the non-RPG elements for the Paper Mario games.”

Regarding the end of Mario & Luigi, I don't think the series itself was why AlphaDream collapsed. I imagine it was moreso financial issues inside the studio or problems with transitioning from handheld to console or HD development. It is a shame Nintendo didn't bail them out by acquiring them.

My hunch is that the unfortunate loss of AlphaDream and the direction Paper Mario took as an adventure-puzzle game left a hole in the Switch lineup that Nintendo took note of. Which is why they're rebuilding people's excitement for them with the wider Mario RPG "series" with remakes of 2 fan favorites in SMRPG and TTYD. I'm not sure what will happen next, maybe Nintendo's waiting to see how people respond to the remakes. But that prior situation that Tabata mentioned about trying to differentiate two similar series still weighs on my mind for their possible future.

Give Mario RPGs to Monolithsoft so we can kill Rosalina while piloting a Mecha Bowser.
b2c.png

I need Mario with belts or no deal.

I wonder about the timeline for this game. At least based on their output, maybe they began dev 2019-2020? And with covid who knows

The Mario RPG fandom online being stereotyped as completely toxic and hostile seems to unfortunately be completely accurate when I get a response like this.
truly do not understand why people get so worked up about these games, seems like folks fuming over losing out on baby's first rpg mechanics should...play some non mario branded rpgs or something, idk

mario rpg fans don't deserve this kind of beauty but they should let him direct a mario rpg sequel anyway

Paper Mario isn’t going anywhere so I don’t get your post. Mario RPG got a remake. Paper Mario gets a new game every gen. So…

Nice to finally get confirmation who the developer is. Curious how long ArtePiazza's been working on this since their last releases were in 2019--might have been slowed down by COVID.

No one expected M+R, now we have that game, a sequel, and two remakes no one expected either.

Let alone a game starring Peach, a return to risk-taking 2D Mario… it’s an exciting time to be a Mario fan and I can have faith that exciting new stuff will continue to come.

Wonder who’ll remake Mario & Luigi
Who knows... Nintendo is a bit iffy onto remaking games more than once (Star Fox aside, I suppose); maybe someone like Grezzo can do a port job for both Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story remakes; But as far new remakes go.. only if they go through the lesser popular titles (Partners in Time, Dream Team and Paper Jam);

If it means Mario gets a Keyblade, then I'm on board.
Sorry, but the CANON RULES prevent that of happening.. so was said
dc5cit6-4587d2c9-d0de-40b1-b64d-ee8f5085c91c.gif

Modern Paper Mario sucks, classic paper Mario sucks, can we go back to talking about good games now?

(HJ)

mario rpg fans don't deserve this kind of beauty but they should let him direct a mario rpg sequel anyway
Again, I think people get so hung up on the memes, that they forget that Nomura likely wouldn't 100% be responsible for the "weird shit" that could show up in such a game. A lot of that is attributed to Nojima!

Besides, other Mario RPGs had enough strangeness within them, that I'm honestly not sure what else Nojima and Nomura could do that wouldn't seem actually positively TAME in comparison. Like...how do you compare to the insanity that was in Bowser's Inside Story's narrative, let alone Super Paper Mario's?

Who knows... Nintendo is a bit iffy onto remaking games more than once (Star Fox aside, I suppose); maybe someone like Grezzo can do a port job for both Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story remakes; But as far new remakes go.. only if they go through the lesser popular titles (Partners in Time, Dream Team and Paper Jam);

The mario and Luigi games have to be remade if they're ever to be rereleased anyway, they're sprite art designed for Gba/DS/3ds resolutions and would both be massive on screen, but also the wrong aspect ratios and more.

I'm sure Nintendo would want them turned in to models to finally future proof them.

Wait, the game actually leaked? Anyone have any music rips yet, that’s kinda what I’m most excited about LOL
don't know, but I've seen pictures of people with the cartridge. about this time, it's not out of the question for people to have dumped the game

The mario and Luigi games have to be remade if they're ever to be rereleased anyway, they're sprite art designed for Gba/DS/3ds resolutions and would both be massive on screen, but also the wrong aspect ratios and more.

I'm sure Nintendo would want them turned in to models to finally future proof them.
I suppose the pixel art could be just used again, if they truly wanted a cheap port; But since you mention, they already have some 3D modeling in the games since Dream Team;

tumblr_nq1s4zbp5Y1s8ouhxo1_500.gif

50310.png
47617.png

In fact, environment in general in Dream Team is actually in 3D. They reverted back to basic sprite based for overworld stuff for the subsequent 3DS games
marioluigi_dreamteam3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom