• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, you mean Bowser speaks every line he has? Full dialogue?
No, just random laughs and grunts; Typical of what we usually hear on modern Mario games;

Meanwhile, every other character in the game doesn't get to have not even that.

I wonder if more voice acting was planned or something. Geno does have lip sync in a special move animation at the end here that doesn't exist in the original, unless it's a changed Geno Flash.
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/1721210771743400089
Yeah I noticed that. Odd that Geno is clearly saying something, yet no dialogue comes out. Reminds me of that scene from Pokémon Gen 8 where the guy is singing but no dialogue comes out so it’s just kinda awkward silence

Yeah I noticed that. Odd that Geno is clearly saying something, yet no dialogue comes out. Reminds me of that scene from Pokémon Gen 8 where the guy is singing but no dialogue comes out so it’s just kinda awkward silence
To be fair we've only seen it with game audio turned off and replaced with outside music so it could just be that he is saying something.
Probably not though

random elites?? woah I didn't hear that before. Do they explain anything about this?
Some random encounters feature special, more powerful enemies that take a lot more damage and are extra challenging, so you can't just get through random encounters mindlessly.

It’s funny I expect Super Mario RPG to be praised for its briskness not docked for it. Most people are tired of long rpgs these days
random elites?? woah I didn't hear that before. Do they explain anything about this?
As mentioned before they’ve been rebalanced for the new gameplay so they’re significantly tougher. All the base encounters and bosses have the same stats as the original so they haven’t been adjusted for the new mechanics.

Some random encounters feature special, more powerful enemies that take a lot more damage and are extra challenging, so you can't just get through random encounters mindlessly.
I got the feeling they rebalanced the game to be harder because of the two new damage outputs (AoE on timed presses + Ultimates)
And the numbers are all completely different, much bigger.
Then they added an easy mode to compensate maybe.

That's my hope.

It’s funny I expect Super Mario RPG to be praised for its briskness not docked for it. Most people are tired of long rpgs these days

As mentioned before they’ve been rebalanced for the new gameplay so they’re significantly tougher. All the base encounters and bosses have the same stats as the original so they haven’t been adjusted for the new mechanics.
Yeah shorter RPGs are definitely in these days, I doubt it'll be an issue. We're a couple years out from when games would get docked for a short runtime

So do you think it’s possible they’ll have more post game content than this? Or is it looking like everything that’s in the game has already been announced?
If they game was gonna have more post game, it probably would’ve been announced by now. Though, the post failed to mention one new thing. According to the Japanese website, a super secrete boss is in the game, kinda like culex in the 1996 version. Granted, it could just be a rematch against culex with no major changes, but they hyped the new boss up a good bit. Most people think it will be a fight against a 3D culex, but nobody knows atm

Are the elites available to fight only in the postgame?

Yeah I've never seen anything on this elite stuff. Anyone have a link? I'll check the japanese website.

Okay I found a NEW tidbit AFAIK. If you successfully time every button press to the multi-hit attacks you will gain stats (Different stats for each character)
what...? lol I swear they only told us that it gives attacks an AoE. Now this.

EDIT: more info. the 3-man super attacks depend on who you have on the party. Some are Aoe. Some are single target and the Peach Geno mario one is a Veil that protects your party (from her umbrella)

Last edited:
All the base encounters and bosses have the same stats as the original so they haven’t been adjusted for the new mechanics.
Seems kinda silly to make an already easy RPG even easier, but maybe the postgame challenges will make up for that.

Seems kinda silly to make an already easy RPG even easier, but maybe the postgame challenges will make up for that.
Idk HOW this person know the bosses' stats are the same without having access to the game or the files. I wouldn't believe it. Seems like all numbers have been adjusted. I don't think he knows what he is talking about or is phrasing what he wants to say incorrectly.

Idk HOW this person know the bosses' stats are the same without having access to the game or the files. I wouldn't believe it. Seems like all numbers have been adjusted. I don't think he knows what he is talking about or is phrasing what he wants to say incorrectly.
It’s straight from an interview with a treehouse rep.
Hard mode for NG+ wouldn’t surprise me

It’s straight from an interview with a treehouse rep.

Hard mode for NG+ wouldn’t surprise me
Can you link it. Just to make sure, you are saying that they buffed all the attack numbers and ways to attack (of your party) but kept the stats of the monsters the same. I don't think so. The numbers are over double of the original AFAIK. It's a complete rebalancing. They might mean that they kept it the same difficulty/balance comparatively. Not literally the same numbers/health values/attack power.

16 or so hours being short, "really short", is why AAA games are taking 7 years and developers are getting treated like trash.

I don't know...Super Mario RPG is hardly AAA and it is $60. Star Ocean 2 Remake looks like much better value in comparison.

I don't know...Super Mario RPG is hardly AAA and it is $60. Star Ocean 2 Remake looks like much better value in comparison.
Wasn't it AAA back then? A remake obviously isn't.

Yeah but those style RPGs don't ahve minigames/platforming/adventuring/puzzle aspects. Yeah, they are longer. All mario RPGs are shorter than a final fantasy for example.

I'd say Mario RPG games are dense games.

Last edited:
Can you link it. Just to make sure, you are saying that they buffed all the attack numbers and ways to attack (of your party) but kept the stats of the monsters the same. I don't think so. The numbers are over double of the original AFAIK. It's a complete rebalancing. They might mean that they kept it the same difficulty/balance comparatively. Not literally the same numbers/health values/attack power.
Several previews mentioned it but I know this one in particular did

Also keep in mind this doesn’t apply to special enemies and boss rematches

Several previews mentioned it but I know this one in particular did

Also keep in mind this doesn’t apply to special enemies and boss rematches

Oh okay. There's been a misunderstanding.
They didn't balance around the new systems (Ultimates + AoE bonus damage (timed attacks) + Stat UP bonuses (timed attacks))
BUT they aren't talking about the number changes in general. The actual damage numbers and health have all been changed if you go back to compare so I don't think it has anything to do with that. Maybe they just multiplied everything by a flat number so it's the same balancing. In which case yeah, the 3 new mechanics will make the game much easier.

16 or so hours being short, "really short", is why AAA games are taking 7 years and developers are getting treated like trash.
That depends on the genre more than anything. Plenty of newer action games, platformers, and so on are in the same ballpark of 16 hours long and it’s not considered unusual. But 16 hours is pretty short for an RPG. Hell, Live A Live and Chrono Trigger are also considered pretty short and breezy RPGs and those are closer to 20-25 hours long.

That said, who cares? Mario RPG rules and everyone should play it.

I don't agree that Super Mario RPG is hardly AAA just because of play-length.
Yeah this makes no sense. It's a remake of a 30 yr old game. It was AAA back then. Those pseudo 3D graphics and a 20hr long rpg for mario franchise.

No, just random laughs and grunts; Typical of what we usually hear on modern Mario games;

Meanwhile, every other character in the game doesn't get to have not even that.
That's in line with the original game. I can't think of any characters that had voice samples like Bowser did.

Tetris 99 crossover coming this weekend. Most looking forward to hearing more of the new music renditions in here!

How much do you guys think this game will sell? On switch, Mario spin-offs have sold between 2.35 million (captain toad), to 19 million (super Mario party). Mario RPG sold 2.14 million copies, the highest selling paper Mario is at 4.2 million (super) and the highest selling M&L is at 4.5 million (bowsers inside story). It’s also important to note that we had not only a movie this year, but this game is also riding off the hype of wonder AND is being released during the holiday season.

Last edited:
How much do you guys think this game will sell? On switch, Mario spin-offs have sold between 2.35 million (captain toad), to 19 million (super Mario party). Mario RPG sold 2.14 million copies, the highest selling paper Mario is at 4.2 million (super) and the highest selling M&L is at 4.5 million (bowsers inside story). It’s also important to note that we had not only a movie this year, but this game is also riding off the hype of wonder AND is being released during the holiday season.
Depending on reviews, I have to imagine this will certainly sell more than the original but less than 5m.

Maybe between 3.5m and 4.5m to give a better estimate.

Damn, Nintendo is serious about this game. It's getting a Tetris 99 Theme. Only the real ones get one of those. (Ignore the fact that Super Mario Bros. Wonder did not get a theme.)

The quick loading screen when going into an enemy battle does remind me a lot of NDCube.. very snappy, minimalist and not intrusive (specifically reminds me of Horror Land’s day/night cycle switch from Mario Party Superstars)

Damn, Nintendo is serious about this game. It's getting a Tetris 99 Theme. Only the real ones get one of those. (Ignore the fact that Super Mario Bros. Wonder did not get a theme.)

Super Mario Bros. Wonder will get a theme sooner or later, XC3 didn't get its theme until this year.

literally can't stop thinking about this game! i can already tell i'll be sad that it is only 15-ish hours and i don't get to spend more time with it...

I really hope this sells well enough for someone at Nintendo or SQE to greenlight a SMRPG 2.

I am also aware Paper Mario was listed as SMRPG 2 while it was in development, so I am hoping we get an actual sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom