• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Super Mario RPG remake — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: developed by ArtePiazza)

Status
Not open for further replies.
…could this be another 90 MC 😭 seems to be a gorgeous remake making all the right choices, so I suppose it'll come down to how well the game itself holds up

At the last few seconds still in 2D for a certain someone if you played the Original on Snes

thank you , i managed to get the wallpaper , its very cute looking

The code input thing cannot be done on PC/laptop
Could someone fill me in on this?
Edit: Found it, I'm just dumb.

Last edited:
Claymorton is in fact a great name, yeah

This is all looking so hype. I'm gonna have to dig my old players guide out of deep storage to compare and contrast when this finally drops

It seems somehow both super faithful but also filled will all sorts of little tweaks and additions

I have mixed feelings about the script. While it will be nice and nostalgic to play something close to the original translation, I would have liked to get something more like the Japanese version. Maybe this will split the difference and be a mix, hard to say. Game looks great, all in all.

Uhh, is there no text sound? It's been absent in all the footage so far. I really hope there is!

Uhh, is there no text sound? It's been absent in all the footage so far. I really hope there is!
The main thing Good Vibes Gaming complained about was that there was no sounds when speaking whatsoever, not even grunts or the little beeps that other RPGs have.

The main thing Good Vibes Gaming complained about was that there was no sounds when speaking whatsoever, not even grunts or the little beeps that other RPGs have.
That's annoying. Just give us the normal text beeps Nintendo!

I wasn’t planning on using my voucher on this but everything I’m seeing is convincing I should.

I think they mean more specifically which internal studio
Does Square even have internal names for most of their studios?
The only time I think I've heard what part of Square is working on a game is when the director has enough weight behind their name like Nomura, Yoshi P or Yoko Taro

Does Square even have internal names for most of their studios?
The only time I think I've heard what part of Square is working on a game is when the director has enough weight behind their name like Nomura, Yoshi P or Yoko Taro
yea, Creative Business Unit. I think there are 4 of them. CB3 made FF14 and FF16

I sincerely want Sephiroth to be a new secret boss in this lmao. Even better if continuing the trend from Culex being stuck in 2D, Sephiroth's stuck in his blocky PS1 design or his ultra-detailed FF7R look. Whichever leads to the most awkward visual clash!

I sincerely want Sephiroth to be a new secret boss in this lmao. Even better if continuing the trend from Culex being stuck in 2D, Sephiroth's stuck in his blocky PS1 design or his ultra-detailed FF7R look. Whichever leads to the most awkward visual clash!
N64 FF7 look

yea, Creative Business Unit. I think there are 4 of them. CB3 made FF14 and FF16
Yeah, but that's such a generic name that it doesn't really help. Like, Nintendo would never really say which EPD team is working on something in a press release or something and you kinda just have to guess based on previous work until the credits come out.
Could also be wrong, I don't think they said Arika made Mario 35 on fine print or anything. Point is, nothing points to who exactly the developer is, copyright is still just Square and Nintendo.

My bet is still NDCube for the developer. I'd honestly be surprised if a Square studio was making this.
I can't see Nintendo having them work on anything that isn't Mario Party or at the very least party genre related ala Clubhouse 51. It's most likely Square or one of the Nintendo EPD teams.

…could this be another 90 MC 😭 seems to be a gorgeous remake making all the right choices, so I suppose it'll come down to how well the game itself holds up
i hope you're right bc that would just be insane to see but, i have the slight feeling it's gonna get the dreaded ... 89 :oops:

If one of the EPD teams actually made this (which isn’t too far fetched considering the quality on display), does that actually imply a future for Mario RPG? Like a dedicated studio to making sequels/ games like it

on another note

SUPER SENTAI AXEM RANGERS

SMRPG-Remake-Axem-Rangers-2.png

SMRPG-Remake-Axem-Rangers-3.png

If one of the EPD teams actually made this (which isn’t too far fetched considering the quality on display), does that actually imply a future for Mario RPG? Like a dedicated studio to making sequels/ games like it
No. It just means they did an internal remake of a property they co-own with Square Enix.

I do wonder if we’ll have a predominantly Japanese script derived set of Thought Peek entries, considering this classic:
rendercombined.jpg

Though for those that referenced Japanese media or were a bit more… risqué (the Goombette enemy iirc) I guess something derived from the US original translation may be how they’d go about it…?

===

Btw for the peeps who couldn’t get arrow keys to work for the Japanese home page prompt for the wallpapers, try pasting this in (can verify I am on mobile and after pasting this gave me a panicked Toad):
↓↑→←LRLRB

Last edited:
Square being behind this remake doesn't feel right. It's being positioned as a pure 1st party Nintendo game. When's the last time Square did that kind of work for Nintendo?

I do wonder if we’ll have a predominantly Japanese script derived set of Thought Peek entries, considering this classic:
rendercombined.jpg

Though for those that referenced Japanese media or were a bit more… risqué (the Goombette enemy iirc) I guess something derived from the US original translation may be how they’d go about it…?

===

Btw for the peeps who couldn’t get arrow keys to work for the Japanese home page prompt for the wallpapers, try pasting this in (can verify I am on mobile and after pasting this gave me a panicked Toad):
From the screens released, it looks like it's gonna be a mix if the US localization and accurate translation. So some iconic lines might stick if there's no problem, like that bazooka line

I'm trying to avoid looking at the new footage, I know enough that I love the original and this is faithful so I wanna enjoy it. That being said seeing the official NOA Twitter acknowledge Geno feels like a fever dream!

Square being behind this remake doesn't feel right. It's being positioned as a pure 1st party Nintendo game. When's the last time Square did that kind of work for Nintendo?

What do you mean by this, exactly?

Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (2005) and Mario Sports Mix (2010) were both Square-Enix developed Mario games that were published by Nintendo.

What do you mean by this, exactly?

Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (2005) and Mario Sports Mix (2010) were both Square-Enix developed Mario games that were published by Nintendo.
I was wondering when was the last time Square made a Nintendo game yeah, essentially. If it's 2010, it's been a while which is why it doesn't feel right to me. If I had to guess, it seems a purely Nintendo driven project given to one of their usual close collaborator (Grezzo, ND Cube, Good Feel, Eighting...). But we'll finally see in a week or two.

I was wondering when was the last time Square made a Nintendo game yeah, essentially. If it's 2010, it's been a while which is why it doesn't feel right to me. If I had to guess, it seems a purely Nintendo driven project given to one of their usual close collaborator (Grezzo, ND Cube, Good Feel, Eighting...). But we'll finally see in a week or two.
It's a Square Enix game, though. Nintendo and Square Enix literally co-own it. It makes every bit of sense for SE to work on it themselves.

It's a Square Enix game, though. Nintendo and Square Enix literally co-own it. It makes every bit of sense for SE to work on it themselves.
There’s something about the HUD that doesn’t scream Square Enix to me. It’s difficult to put into words, but the menu and button prompts feel almost too pragmatic. New Square Enix productions tend to have a lot more flair, to a detriment at times.

There’s something about the HUD that doesn’t scream Square Enix to me. It’s difficult to put into words, but the menu and button prompts feel almost too pragmatic. New Square Enix productions tend to have a lot more flair, to a detriment at times.
The boring font screams modern Square Enix though.

The main reason I could believe that Nd Cube might be doing it is because the game does have that modern Mario Party look to its UI elements where everything is really clean and slightly clinical. It shares that factor with Camelot sports games too though so I'm hesitant to say that it's a dev thing rather than just a Mario spinoff thing.

The boring font screams modern Square Enix though.
Yep. You need not look any further than comparing Tactics Ogre Reborn to the original and other ports along the way to see an example of this very thing in action.

The CG quality for cutscenes also seems very in-line of Square Enix productions; Compare to World of Final Fantasy;

The main reason I could believe that Nd Cube might be doing it is because the game does have that modern Mario Party look to its UI elements where everything is really clean and slightly clinical. It shares that factor with Camelot sports games too though so I'm hesitant to say that it's a dev thing rather than just a Mario spinoff thing.
The UI definitely looks very Mario Sports/Party - has the same Eurostile/Square font, I would guess its one of those studios - Camelot make sense and a remake like this is doable in 2 years since Super Rush

Super Mario RPG remake is made with Unity.
I would say this rules out NDcube.

DigitalFoundry keeps repeating that Link's Awakening is on Unreal Engine, so I'm not sure I trust them on this without sharing their source.

Edit: Also, if this is true I would be a bit disappointed and worried about how many of Nintendo's first party games are now built on Unity and Unreal rather than proprietary engines (yes, I know it's mostly the non-internal game, but it's still a bit worrying).

DigitalFoundry keeps repeating that Link's Awakening is on Unreal Engine, so I'm not sure I trust them on this without sharing their source.

Edit: Also, if this is true I would be a bit disappointed and worried about how many of Nintendo's first party games are now built on Unity and Unreal rather than proprietary engines (yes, I know it's mostly the non-internal game, but it's still a bit worrying).
Why does this matter?

Why?

If its non-internal its easy for a partner to work on it, not to mention recurring has a bit easier onboarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom