• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
...So we all agree that we're going inside Bowser for the final level, right?
Probably. I'm guessing the final "boss" is more like a mad gauntlet as castle!Bowser throws everything he's got at you.

It'd be a neat way to incorporate a sort of "platforming test" into the finale proper, which is something I feel a lot of sidescrollers sort of fall flat on.

Honestly, I'm not at all interested in the Mario VA discourse. To my ears, whoever is doing it has a very mediocre rendition of Mario. Some of the short sounds he does are alright, but things like 'wowie zowie' and 'here we go' as well as 'wonderful' just sound so off, and I just cannot get used to it after growing up with Martinet. Oh, not forgetting the Mickey Mouse sound when you die as Mario. What the hell was that?

I'm judging it harshly because there are randoms on Twitter who can nail the perfect Martinet impressions, but NoA casting is gonna NoA (and I have zero faith in them after BotW/TotK shambles). They just cannot pick new talent worth a damn, IMO.

Game itself looks amazing, the Mario VA is just the one very annoying black ink blot on an otherwise perfect canvas.

Honestly, I'm not at all interested in the Mario VA discourse. To my ears, whoever is doing it has a very mediocre rendition of Mario. Some of the short sounds he does are alright, but things like 'wowie zowie' and 'here we go' as well as 'wonderful' just sound so off, and I just cannot get used to it after growing up with Martinet. Oh, not forgetting the Mickey Mouse sound when you die as Mario. What the hell was that?

I'm judging it harshly because there are randoms on Twitter who can nail the perfect Martinet impressions, but NoA casting is gonna NoA (and I have zero faith in them after BotW/TotK shambles). They just cannot pick new talent worth a damn, IMO.

Game itself looks amazing, the Mario VA is just the one very annoying black ink blot on an otherwise perfect canvas.
You’ll get over it eventually. He doesn’t need to be like Charles Martinet.

Are we really constraining ourselves to believing all future renditions of Mario must sound EXACTLY like Charles? Like damn, I get it’s gonna take some getting used to, but nothing is forever…

Not sure I will ever get over NoA's consistently craptacular new casting choices. I'll just get annoyed every new game that has English voice acting. Even when they do pick bigger names (like Mercer), they cast him in roles he's not suited for. His Gannondorf was just off, sounded like a young guy trying to sound 50s with no real baritone in his voice.

Are we really constraining ourselves to believing all future renditions of Mario must sound EXACTLY like Charles? Like damn, I get it’s gonna take some getting used to, but nothing is forever…

Well, to be honest, they didn't need to change anything. Martinet once famously said Nintendo has enough clips of him doing lines to last them a century, so they could have just continually repurposed his voice like they've been doing. Saves them money, too.

There's also trying to sound like Charles, and just sounding like Mickey Mouse (the new VA is very inconsistent).

There's also trying to sound like Charles, and just sounding like Mickey Mouse (the new VA is very inconsistent).
You gotta get your ears checked. It sounds like a new version of Mario. I cannot fathom thinking he sounds like Mickey Mouse. Your grudge against NoA is silly too since there is no world where this was not approved by Miyamoto. The new Mario should be allowed to be "inconsistent". He says a lot more now than he ever used to and 1 single tone for a character for the next century sounds boring.

You gotta get your ears checked. It sounds like a new version of Mario. I cannot fathom thinking he sounds like Mickey Mouse. Your grudge against NoA is silly too since there is no world where this was not approved by Miyamoto. The new Mario should be allowed to be "inconsistent". He says a lot more now than he ever used to and 1 single tone for a character for the next century sounds boring.

My ears are perfectly fine, and is why I can hear this. I'm just very picky about audio quality, so have an ear for these things. As for the Mickey Mouse reference, I was referring to the specific death sound that literally sounds just like Mickey Mouse, not his entire range of clips. Some of them he can get decently close on, but whenever he needs to say something longer than a simple sound effect he falls apart.

Quite honestly, I'm starting to believe people are placeboing themselves into believing the voice sounds closer to Mario than it actually is, by association or something. They hear a clip while thinking of Mario, and believe it must sound just like him. I have no other explanation for all the comments I've seen saying it sounds 'just like Mario/identical' (emphasis on identical, as they say they can't tell the difference).

As for the jab at NoA/Miyamoto approval... so what? Miyamoto approved Chris Pratt to do Mario in the movie as well, I have no doubt. Still doesn't detract from NoA's terrible English casting in general, not just this game.

Last edited:
Mario and Luigi sound exactly like Martinet here. People are overblowing this, as usual.

I was going to refrain from commenting, but no. The 'here we go' is clearly different, and sounds off. The sound effect noises are however better and, as I said before, is what this VA is best at.

'exactly like Martinet' is just wrong.

Is there a chance Mario's (and by an extent, Luigi's) VA is female?

3.5GB preload starts later today for AU NZ JPN stores

Meanwhile @ Nintendo KYOTO

3.5GB preload starts later today for AU NZ JPN stores

Meanwhile @ Nintendo KYOTO

only 3.5GB

imagine the next 2D game on drake. hell, it'd be lucky to crack 10GB

Well, to be honest, they didn't need to change anything. Martinet once famously said Nintendo has enough clips of him doing lines to last them a century, so they could have just continually repurposed his voice like they've been doing. Saves them money, too.
To me this stifles creativity. "We made a cool mechanic but Mario has nothing relating to it so we'll use a generic voice clip" sounds lame.

giphy.gif

any info on world esque secret exits or riding yoshi in singleplayer?
those are my last wishes for this game

Not gonna lie, if they weren’t explicit about there being a new voice actor, I doubt I would’ve noticed at all.
Yeah, same. Like, people pointed out he sounded kinda different after the first trailer and at the time I just shrugged it off as "it's probably the first time in like a decade that they had him record brand-new voice clips, of course his voice changed a bit."

If Nintendo didn't say anything, I'm pretty sure I'd still be thinking that.

Voice acting such a minuscule aspect of a game 🤷‍♂️
Voice acting can add a lot to a game. Just off the top of my head the performances in Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and the Uncharted series were great and made all those games even better experiences.

It certainly matters more for some games than other though, and 2D Mario isn’t one of them.

My mistake. I forgot criticizing Nintendo stuff gets you dumped on, a classic. Carry on.
it's not that you're not allowed to criticize nintendo, it's that mario doesn't sound like mickey mouse + complaining that twitter users could do a better job is plain stupid. there's a billion things you can criticize nintendo on from their online, NSO pricing and content droughts, low quality joy con parts, etc, but acting like you know who should be voicing mario more than the people who make the games means you won't be taken seriously.

Meanwhile Spider-Man 2 is apparently 86GB - clearly it’s ~25x better! 😉
Well I never brought up quality of the game. Spider Man had a lot of detailed assets and a physically based material setup. I doubt Mario is leveraging that much given the plasticized look of things (or if they are, they're very small textures given fine detail isn't a priority). Lots of asset reuse between themed levels keep the file size down as well. A next gen sequel will struggle to grow much larger because of the the style. Texture size will increase, but the data contained probably won't scale as much beyond the resolution increase.

it's not that you're not allowed to criticize nintendo, it's that mario doesn't sound like mickey mouse + complaining that twitter users could do a better job is plain stupid. there's a billion things you can criticize nintendo on from their online, NSO pricing and content droughts, low quality joy con parts, etc, but acting like you know who should be voicing mario more than the people who make the games means you won't be taken seriously.

No, I'm pretty sure criticism just isn't allowed and you're backpedalling to justify why you just don't like my opinions. I already clarified what I meant by Mickey Mouse, so either you refused to read it or you're choosing to ignore it to call me stupid. The twitter comment was made because it literally exists. JessePinnick for example is capable of a nigh identical Charles impression of Mario and he often posts clips on his account.

If you're going to state that I can't criticise the makers of the game because they somehow know best then you shouldn't be criticising Nintendo full stop. But obviously you've just decided arbitrarily where Nintendo knows best and where they don't, right? (I'm going to guess it's where you personally don't think something matters Vs where it does, and we disagree on that).

For the record, since I feel it needs to be stated again: I'm excited about virtually everything else in this game. This is my sole hangup going into it and the future.

Last edited:
No, I'm pretty sure criticism just isn't allowed and you're backpedalling to justify why you just don't like my opinions. I already clarified what I meant by Mickey Mouse, so either you refused to read it or you're choosing to ignore it to call me stupid. The twitter comment was made because it literally exists. JessePinnick for example is capable of a nigh identical Charles impression of Mario and he often posts clips on his account.

If you're going to state that I can't criticise the makers of the game because they somehow know best then you shouldn't be criticising Nintendo full stop. But obviously you've just decided arbitrarily where Nintendo knows best and where they don't, right? (I'm going to guess it's where you personally don't think something matters Vs where it does, and we disagree on that).

For the record, since I feel it needs to be stated again: I'm excited about virtually everything else in this game. This is my sole hangup going into it and the future.

just replace "drawing" with bing bing wahoo

Yeah that's the classic response to Nintendo criticism I'm used to seeing lol. 'it doesn't matter bro', 'who cares', 'it ain't that deep' or variations thereof.

All hail Nintendo and new Mario.

I kinda like the new renditions, but yeah, the new voice is absolutely different than Martinet. But at the same time, it still sounds like it's impersonating Martinet to an extent, so there's going to be an adjustment period. Ultimately, it feels more like Steve Whitmire vs. Matt Vogel's Kermit the Frog as opposed to Bret Iwan vs. Chris Diamantopoulos's Mickey Mouse. A close match that will still work for a majority of people while being an acquired taste for the diehards (if they ever do get used to it; I have a friend who still dislikes Vogel's Kermit), versus something that feels like it's own slight-but-proper twist on the voice that immediately works, if that makes any sense?

Yeah that's the classic response to Nintendo criticism I'm used to seeing lol. 'it doesn't matter bro', 'who cares', 'it ain't that deep' or variations thereof.

All hail Nintendo and new Mario.
ah, I remember the era days, thanks for taking me down this memory road

I kinda like the new renditions, but yeah, the new voice is absolutely different than Martinet. But at the same time, it still sounds like it's impersonating Martinet to an extent, so there's going to be an adjustment period. Ultimately, it feels more like Steve Whitmire vs. Matt Vogel's Kermit the Frog as opposed to Bret Iwan vs. Chris Diamantopoulos's Mickey Mouse. A close match that will still work for a majority of people while being an acquired taste for the diehards (if they ever do get used to it; I have a friend who still dislikes Vogel's Kermit), versus something that feels like it's own slight-but-proper twist on the voice that immediately works, if that makes any sense?

Ironically I'd probably be more okay with it if it was a complete change of direction (let's go Chris Pratt) and not an attempt to impersonate Martinet. I wouldn't like it, but it would definitely be the intention to go in a new direction with that.

Right now I just feel if they were trying to impersonate Martinet they could've done better.

Ironically I'd probably be more okay with it if it was a complete change of direction (let's go Chris Pratt) and not an attempt to impersonate Martinet. I wouldn't like it, but it would definitely be the intention to go in a new direction with that.
That's fair. Nintendo is clearly trying for a middle ground between a straight Martinet impersonation and allowing the new VA to put their own spin on things, and that's inevitably going to result in arguably more mixed reactions than trying something completely new, since it's doing both and neither at the same time. And that's on top of the new VA just needing time to settle into the role and figure out exact how they want to approach the voice. We could still see them experiment a bit with their take for another year or two before it properly solidifies.

I get where you're coming from but there's definitely an argument to be made that he does need to be like Charles Martinet. Martinet's Mario is the voice of Nintendo for much of its history. As it is, the new guy sounds much more like Martinet's version than anything original.

My mistake. I forgot criticizing Nintendo stuff gets you dumped on, a classic. Carry on. I will only ever praise everything Nintendo going forward.

You're invalidating the new VA's talent when they've accomplished the incredible feat of smoothly subbing in for such an iconic voice and even if they don't have identical pitch, tone, modulation etc (and they won't because they're two different human beings) it's obvious they're incredibly talented, just listen to that last add with Mario on the pipe, it's charming, magical and endearing just as Mario is supposed to be and you can't expect people to take you seriously when you discredit a professional like that in favor of hiring amateur Twitter impersonators with limited range because of no real experience with voice acting.

You can criticize Nintendo all you want, but a bad take will warrant bad reactions.

You're invalidating the new VA's talent when they've accomplished the incredible feat of smoothly subbing in for such an iconic voice and even if they don't have identical pitch, tone, modulation etc (and they won't because they're two different human beings) it's obvious they're incredibly talented, just listen to that last add with Mario on the pipe, it's charming, magical and endearing just as Mario is supposed to be and you can't expect people to take you seriously when you discredit a professional like that in favor of hiring amateur Twitter impersonators with limited range because of no real experience with voice acting.

You can criticize Nintendo all you want, but a bad take will warrant bad reactions.

If I were the only individual on the planet criticising the voice, you might have a point, but alas we're not in going to be in agreement that they're 'smoothly subbing in'. You even said that It sounded 'identical' to Martinet which is just plain nonsense. I will agree that single ad is probably one of the best takes because it's mostly just simple quick sounds, which this VA is best at. The line at the start however is very obviously not similar. Nintendo didn't even bother saying anything about a VA change when Wonder was revealed, it only happened after people noticed and began to question something was up. Makes me wonder if they were hoping for the transition to go more smoothly, or if they were waiting until the game was actually out and had to abort that plan, but that's just speculation without hard evidence; I won't delve much into it.

Whether they're talented or not is irrelevant here, it's about if they're the right pick for the role. Is Matt Mercer talented? Sure, he's done good work. Was he the right role for Gannondorf? Very debatable because his voice just doesn't suit the character he's trying to portray. He's a younger guy trying to do an older sounding voice, and it can be heard. Whether that was the direction he was given or his own take on Dorf doesn't really matter. With Zelda, she sounds like a North American trying to put on a British accent. I'm sure she's very talented as well, but she clearly wasn't the best choice for that role if they wanted an English regal sounding Zelda.

Your last comment about the Twitter impersonators is also quite frankly pure nonsense. We know Martinet has a huge range even solely as Mario and any impersonator who can replicate all of that (even if just specific to Mario) is more than sufficient to do the job. Handwaving away a lack of experience (?) is again, nonsense. Some of these Twitter impersonators also work in a professional capacity by doing commissions or are just general voice actors.

The only part I'd be in agreement with is that not all Mario impersonators make good Luigi ones (I will say out of the few clips I've heard so far I think he makes a better Luigi than Mario), and so Nintendo would likely have to do multiple castings instead of just one guy. They were very lucky that Martinet had such a wide range to voice all those characters in the past. Even getting a 'professional' in your words to do all of those seamlessly is going to be an impossible task.

People might say you can criticise Nintendo here, but all references were to business practices or their online services. Criticise the games and the mobs show up.

A recent example of a popular recast with similar issues would be Rick and Morty. Whoever they've hired to do both or just one each has done a sublime job of Morty. It's almost spot on from the trailer. The Rick? Not a great choice at all. When he raises his voice especially he just sounds nothing like Rick. Considering they got a perfect Morty it stands out even more.

Last edited:
That's fair. Nintendo is clearly trying for a middle ground between a straight Martinet impersonation and allowing the new VA to put their own spin on things, and that's inevitably going to result in arguably more mixed reactions than trying something completely new, since it's doing both and neither at the same time. And that's on top of the new VA just needing time to settle into the role and figure out exact how they want to approach the voice. We could still see them experiment a bit with their take for another year or two before it properly solidifies.

I do wonder how much they plan to use him. Isn't the remade Mario Vs DK back to using old Martinet clips? You would have thought that they might have started using the new VA there as well.

Otherwise you're going to end up with a strange mix of old Martinet clips in games alongside this newer guy and that will make it all the more obvious something is different between them.

Mario’s voice doesn’t sound bad to me but it definitely feels off when I hear it. Though, ss a muppets fan this is something I used to with Kermit’s voice.

However, in cases of both Mario and Kermit you have consider that maybe the creators wanted to have those respective characters go in a slightly different direction. Heck even Martinet’s interpretation of Mario changed a lot between 64 and Odyssey.

Mario’s voice doesn’t sound bad to me but it definitely feels off when I hear it. Though, ss a muppets fan this is something I used to with Kermit’s voice.

However, in cases of both Mario and Kermit you have consider that maybe the creators wanted to have those respective characters go in a slightly different direction. Heck even Martinet’s interpretation of Mario changed a lot between 64 and Odyssey.

To be honest, I think the voice changing with Martinet is simply the fact he was getting older. With an older, hoarser voice, it's going to be inevitable that things change. Probably overcompensating for that is why some comment on Mario being so high-pitched IIRC in Mario Kart 8?

To be honest, I think the voice changing with Martinet is simply the fact he was getting older. With an older, hoarser voice, it's going to be inevitable that things change. Probably overcompensating for that is why some comment on Mario being so high-pitched IIRC in Mario Kart 8?
For sure. That definitely played a part. I also think he was aiming for something a little lighter and more joyful as time went on. In some ways I can kinda see the new voice as a continuation of that trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom