• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, someone has access to the demo build, though they don't appear to be interested in releasing their dump online (and the demo itself is mostly missing content past World 1 anyway, so no fear of endgame spoilers for now). I've gone through the provided cast list and have most of the roles down:

5KZfL9L.png

By process of elimination here our new Mario and Luigi is, most likely, Mick Wingert! Given there's only three male American actors and one is Kenny James, technically it's worth considering Afghani as well; but his Genshin character sounds pretty close to the flower so i'm fairly confident.

As for the rest; Samantha Kelly, Kenny James and Caety Sagoian are here; the latter two are certainly reprising their usual roles. Technically it's possible, given she has multiple roles, that Samantha Kelly is only voicing the Toads now and Peach is someone else, but I think it's fair to assume it's still her for now. Yoshi and Daisy appear to have been definitively recast though; disappointing Deanna Mustard hasn't been given any fanfare at all if she'll no longer be involved with the series, her and Kazumi Totaka were the longest running Mario VAs behind Charles himself. Nabbit was already given a different voice awhile ago with NSMBU Deluxe and Mario Kart Tour but neither game has voice credits so we still don't know who it is (or if it's even the same person now).

All of the remaining American VAs have voiced for Fire Emblem before, so they'd certainly be on NoA's list. Pick between Daisy, Yoshi, Nabbit, Prince Florian and the Poplins (possibly Peach if you still think she's been recast) for who they could possibly be voicing.

If Rosalina is somewhere in the game like people expect she'd need to be recast; Laura Faye Smith isn't here either.
Mick Wingert voices Po from Kung Fu Panda in TV series and videogames. Po in the movies is voiced by none other than Jack Black Bowser. Bowser and Mario is the same person CONFIRMED!

Yep, someone has access to the demo build, though they don't appear to be interested in releasing their dump online (and the demo itself is mostly missing content past World 1 anyway, so no fear of endgame spoilers for now). I've gone through the provided cast list and have most of the roles down:

HHLZ9hB.png

By process of elimination here our new Mario and Luigi is, most likely, Mick Wingert! Given there's only three male American actors and one is Kenny James, technically it's worth considering Afghani as well; but his Genshin character sounds pretty close to the flower so i'm fairly confident.

As for the rest; Samantha Kelly, Kenny James and Caety Sagoian are here; the latter two are certainly reprising their usual roles. Technically it's possible, given she has multiple roles, that Samantha Kelly is only voicing the Toads now and Peach is someone else, but I think it's fair to assume it's still her for now. Yoshi and Daisy appear to have been definitively recast though; disappointing Deanna Mustard hasn't been given any fanfare at all if she'll no longer be involved with the series, her and Kazumi Totaka were the longest running Mario VAs behind Charles himself. Nabbit was already given a different voice awhile ago with NSMBU Deluxe and Mario Kart Tour but neither game has voice credits so we still don't know who it is (or if it's even the same person now).

All of the remaining American VAs have voiced for Fire Emblem before, so they'd certainly be on NoA's list. Pick between Daisy, Yoshi, Nabbit, Prince Florian and the Poplins (possibly Peach if you still think she's been recast) for who they could possibly be voicing.

If Rosalina is somewhere in the game like people expect she'd need to be recast; Laura Faye Smith isn't here either.

I remember seeing some speculation that Samantha Kelly might have been recast as well but I felt that was unlikely given Toad/Toadette were still so similar to their old voices. She hasn't done new voices as Peach in a long time so it stands to reason it would feel a bit different.

HHLZ9hB.png

Oh hey, I know Mick Wingert! He does a great job of mimicking Jack Black's Po performance for all of those Kung-Fu Panda TV shows, and he does a damn good job there. He also voices Iron Man in a lot of animated stuff. I'm sure the role there is in good hands.

I'm unfortunately not surprised that Deanna Mustard isn't being given the same fanfare. Still, her nearly 20 year run as Daisy is not to be underestimated - her voice has been the largest definer of her characterization, and I'm not surprised to see the new VA go in that direction. It'll also be a bit weird to hear a game without Totaka's Yoshi voice, given that he arguably sounds the most different.

I wonder which VA got which role...

HHLZ9hB.png

Confirmation that Kenny James, Caety Sagoian, and especially Samantha Kelly are reprising their roles is a relief. I was honestly beginning to buy into the idea that they were completely wiping the Mario voice cast, which would have seriously stung and cast a lot of doubt on the whole “Charles wanted to pass the role down” thing. I do wish Deanna Mustard was still with them though, or at least received a proper farewell like Charles did. :(

For anyone interested in the specific characters the other new VAs performed in Fire Emblem, here’s a list:

Mick Wingert: Inigo/Laslow / Arden, Heroes
Dawn M. Bennett: Shez (Female), Three Hopes/Heroes
Christine Marie Cabanos: Delthea, Shadows of Valentia/Heroes / Hapi, Three Houses/Heroes
Caitlyn Elizabeth: Eyvel / Brigid, Heroes
Giselle Fernandez (uses they/them fyi): Neimi / Malice, Heroes

Excited to hear what characters they’ll be playing in the Mario-verse! :)

Last edited:
Female Shez is one of my favourite FE characters, so I'm very curious to see what her VA is doing in the game!

It's a shame that Totaka might not be voicing Yoshi in this game. I grew up with Totakas Yoshi voice and I grew to love it in the past years.

I understand people are sensitive to different things, but is the identity of a voice actor really something people don’t want spoiled for them? Not being facetious, just curious because I am having a hard time relating.

I understand people are sensitive to different things, but is the identity of a voice actor really something people don’t want spoiled for them? Not being facetious, just curious because I am having a hard time relating.
It comes from a leak, so I understand folks not wanting to see it until it everything is out in the open and fully confirmed. I'm mostly just thankful that the demo doesn't contain truly spoiler filled details!

Only the first world has leaked due to the demo being dumped, it has no impact on additional characters.

However, the director already confirmed there are no additional characters in the game.

My current theory for the new voice cast change?

Nintendo wants a more unified list of Voice Actors to contact for their games. If you notice a lot of new VAs tend to be from Fire Emblem. Specifically, reoccurring characters or VAs often returned to for different characters.

My current theory for the new voice cast change?

Nintendo wants a more unified list of Voice Actors to contact for their games. If you notice a lot of new VAs tend to be from Fire Emblem. Specifically, reoccurring characters or VAs often returned to for different characters.
Gonna be like the Rat Pack but Nintendoy

Or.. who else does that? Scorsese? Sandler?

Im thinking that Giselle could be Daisy due to how Malice sounds in FEH, while Christine might be Yoshi?

A separate spoiler thread should definitely happen in some form. If Zelda got one, Mario should get the same treatment.

The non-spoiler spoiler thread was also nice, maybe that type of stuff can stay in this thread? Things like how many levels there are, are there unique bosses, etc.

Last edited:
A separate spoiler thread should definitely happen in some form. If Zelda got one, Mario should get the same treatment.

The non-spoiler spoiler thread was also nice, maybe that type of stuff can stay in this thread? Things like how many levels there are, that type of stuff.
I dunno if we can do non-spoiler spoiler stuff for this kind of game. It's not as mechanically diverse as Zelda was, and it's also not a sequel so we can't say that X or Y is still in the game or is not in the game.

But I also reached out to Wingert's agent, Epoch Talent, and here's where things get goofy. Mick Wingert's official, on the record response was that while he can neither confirm nor deny his involvement in Super Mario Bros. Wonder, "he can confirm that he is NOT voicing Mario."

i can make a non-spoiler spoiler thread like we had for TOTK if people are wanting that!
What's a non-spoiler spoiler thread lol. Do you mean like, a thread which allows stuff from leaks that isn't from official marketing, but does not allow story spoilers? Because yeah, that's what I want (well to be accurate, I don't care about story spoilers at all in a Mario game, but if people want those discouraged even in the spoiler thread I'm cool with that)

What's a non-spoiler spoiler thread lol. Do you mean like, a thread which allows stuff from leaks that isn't from official marketing, but does not allow story spoilers? Because yeah, that's what I want (well to be accurate, I don't care about story spoilers at all in a Mario game, but if people want those discouraged even in the spoiler thread I'm cool with that)
-It's a spoiler thread where instead of an open-leak free-for-all, people ask specific questions about the full game and people who've seen the leaks can answer those specific questions under a spoiler tag. This is very helpful in that allows people to be very selective in what leak information they actually see.

I think we should open up the ST early and let this be the spoiler thread. Keeps things more organized that way.
Graphic design takes time! It'll be done soon as I can, and it'll have a firm "no untagged spoilers from leaks" policy!

EDIT: I suppose I'll also have a brief writeup about "game spoilers," like late game Wonder Effects and courses and such.

-It's a spoiler thread where instead of an open-leak free-for-all, people ask specific questions about the full game and people who've seen the leaks can answer those specific questions under a spoiler tag. This is very helpful in that allows people to be very selective in what leak information they actually see.
Okay yeah that sounds good

Given that this leak is happening much closer to release, and that it’s nowhere near as widespread as TotK leaks at the moment, we can probably contain light spoiler questions to this thread. Just gotta make sure tags are used when appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom