• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me an apologist, but I will defend the Super Mario World OST with my life. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy the variety of other soundtracks. The 2D Sonic games have some of the best songs around. But I like how Mario games can get a lot out of a central melody! I like how that's been a Mario staple since World, with nearly every game in the series pulling from that concept in some way, not a full soundtrack's worth but still using a familiar melody. It's yet another franchise staple and I can't see it as outdated - It's just a stylistic choice. Not one you have to like, mind you! But one nevertheless.
I think it says a lot for the quality of Mario World's OST that it was literally only a few years ago that I found out the level themes were mostly comprised of the same melody. Aside from the Athletic version of the main level song, I didn't even notice.

I kinda feel like platformers shouldn't have that big booming orchestra music anyway. Its great for RPGs but platformers? Especially 2D ones? Gimme jazz, gimme pop, gimme techno, gimme progrock!
I feel the reason it doesn't seem like it fits is because:
-2D Mario games never did it before.
-the look of this platformer would clash with it, you have things like Ori that do it but thanks to the look and art direction they're going for it works, which... probably doesn't apply here.

I feel the reason it doesn't seem like it fits is because:
-2D Mario games never did it before.
-the look of this platformer would clash with it, you have things like Ori that do it but thanks to the look and art direction they're going for it works, which... probably doesn't apply here.
Also Ori is more of a meditative, atmospheric exploration game. Its musical style fits that very well, but wouldn't fit a fast-paced obstacle course platformer, Mario or otherwise. Imo, of course.

I think it says a lot for the quality of Mario World's OST that it was literally only a few years ago that I found out the level themes were mostly comprised of the same melody. Aside from the Athletic version of the main level song, I didn't even notice.
For me this was realizing that Slider and Snow Mountain are extremely liberal remixes of the Mario 64 main theme.

Also Ori is more of a meditative, atmospheric exploration game. Its musical style fits that very well, but wouldn't fit a fast-paced obstacle course platformer, Mario or otherwise. Imo, of course.
Taking this as a tacit admission of having never played a Donkey Kong Country game, tbh.

I mean, Tropical Freeze. Fast-paced yet atmospheric to the bone.
Altho it still is a platformer with a different, more complicated look.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) Screenshots
400px-SMBW_Mario_stretched.jpg

I do want this to be a difficult game. For other genres, I don't mind about the difficulty, for some I even pick the easiest one. But for 2D ones, I care. Because only in 2D platformers we can have the long argued "fair difficulty" thing. No enemies with increased lives, no enemies that do one hit KO attacks. Just plain, jump, if you can't, try again.

The reason why I love the SMB3 is that it's a very difficult game without having anything that makes the game any difficult. When you fail, you don't say "eff this game" and throw the controller away. Instead you go "heh, silly me" and try again and again and again. Like the stage where the evil sun chases you. It's super short but everytime I replay the game I die on that few times. Always. And I love it. I really hope Wonder has moments like this. Can't say for sure but those badge challenges feel like they are.

I doubt the main 8 worlds will be too difficult, probably same level as the New series.

However, I do think the game will be packed with extra post game content that will be designed to be very challenging. Think the extra levels in each world in Yoshi's Island.

The game had a lot of dev time, and Mario has a history with post game challenges, I'm sure we're getting something really special.

Apparently I was born the year Mario All-Stars came out, and my old man already had an NES with Super Mario Bros. in the household before I was born, so I guess I was always fated to be a Mario baby.

Me and Super Mario Bros share the same birthday - though it is almost a decade older.

I doubt the main 8 worlds will be too difficult, probably same level as the New series.

However, I do think the game will be packed with extra post game content that will be designed to be very challenging. Think the extra levels in each world in Yoshi's Island.

The game had a lot of dev time, and Mario has a history with post game challenges, I'm sure we're getting something really special.
I hope so. Sometimes i think that they have great ideas but these are a bit underexploited due to not wanting to overwhelm the players, i want them to go crazy in the post game at least. One can argue that you can go crazy without craking up the difficulty but both would be nice.

For exemple, I made my own challenges in Odyssey triyng to speed run (kindof) some levels but i think they could have requested a bit more from the players in the post game especially with the cappy toolset.

Regardless of the difficulty, cannot wait to play this with my 8 years old daughter.

For me this was realizing that Slider and Snow Mountain are extremely liberal remixes of the Mario 64 main theme.
......jesus christ 🤯

Taking this as a tacit admission of having never played a Donkey Kong Country game, tbh.
I mean, Tropical Freeze. Fast-paced yet atmospheric to the bone.
Altho it still is a platformer with a different, more complicated look.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U) Screenshots
400px-SMBW_Mario_stretched.jpg
Ah dang, yall're right huh. What's wild is DKC2 is one of my favorite platformers and OSTs ever yet the series still slipped my mind there 😅

Is it too soon to wonder where 2D Mario can go after this? 😬
It’s something I’ve thought about too. It’s hard to judge until after Wonder comes out but I would like to see them get really wild with the structure, like how 3D Mario games can be incredibly different from each other. But my main hope is Wonder makes 2D Mario feel special again.

It’s something I’ve thought about too. It’s hard to judge until after Wonder comes out but I would like to see them get really wild with the structure, like how 3D Mario games can be incredibly different from each other. But my main hope is Wonder makes 2D Mario feel special again.
My sentiments exactly. I wonder how they could evolve 2D Mario henceforth

Anybody get a preorder notification from Nintendo for this without actually preordering?

I have an email saying I've preordered the game with the option to use a game voucher, but my preorder will be cancelled if I don't buy more vouchers. I haven't had any vouchers since April this year, so I'm not sure how, why or when I'd have placed an order with a voucher.

I feel similarly; I think using a single leitmotif for all of the stage music was a cute thing to try for one installment. It’d probably overstay its welcome if they did it again (Wonder doesn’t seem to be going any further than the likes of 3D World does) but as a one-off it’s just another element that makes World stand out from what came before and after.

The new Airship / Snow / Desert / Forest music made for the Maker games isn’t all accurate to how they would actually sound in World but it’s nice they still followed the leitmotif even decades later.
Mario land 2 does the exact same thing except almost every single song uses that one theme.

Crazy we’re a bit over a week out and haven’t seen any bosses besides like 5 seconds of what I’m presuming is a mini boss.
It's strange, because according to the ESRB rating the bosses have more involved combat and smash pieces of the scenery. Wouldn't they want to show that off just a little bit? It's kinda making me worried.

Yeah, the bosses outside Bowser, Jr and Kamek (most likely) are a complete mystery.
We also have King Boo, but that's up in the air is to whether it's a boss battle or just a regular Wonder event.

It's strange, because according to the ESRB rating the bosses have more involved combat and smash pieces of the scenery. Wouldn't they want to show that off just a little bit? It's kinda making me worried.

We also have King Boo, but that's up in the air is to whether it's a boss battle or just a regular Wonder event.
Why would it make you worries? It just seems that they want keep certain things a surprise.

This is the same company that intentionally hid the entirety of the Depths in TotK. I wouldn’t worry much.

Magic man…you should know by being a Nintendo fan for years how this works. They’re not going to show you or tell you everything. When you see they purposely want to hide stuff that’s good. Nothing to worry about.

Funnily enough. I remember when people complained non-stop about Metroid Dread being shown too much.

You’ll never get a balance to please everyone. But I’ll take showing less personally. More fun for me

The fact that the fandom actually got annoyed that Nintendo was marketing Dread too much will never stop being funny to me considering how much we complained about Nintendo not caring enough about the franchise. But yeah, Nintendo keeps things close to the chest. It's nothing new for them and I think it's fun to be left wondering what surprises are in store.

This is the same company that intentionally hid the entirety of the Depths in TotK. I wouldn’t worry much.
Magic man…you should know by being a Nintendo fan for years how this works. They’re not going to show you or tell you everything. When you see they purposely want to hide stuff that’s good. Nothing to worry about.
I get that, but not marketing the boss battles in a Mario game just feels strange. I guess I'm just worried that it's going to be Bowser Jr with a different power in every battle, or maybe the Koopalings again. I actually saw a theory from Nin10doland of all people that I really liked that said the bosses could be super-sized versions of normal enemies, which would be super cool.

Last edited:
I get that, but not marketing the boss battles in a Mario game just feels strange. I guess I'm just worried that it's going to be Bowser Jr with a different power in every battle, or maybe the Koopalings again. I actually saw a theory from Nin10doland of all people that I really liked that said the bosses could be super-sized versions of normal enemies, which would be super cool.
The one thing I am most certain about is that the Koopalings will not be here. Every previous 2D Mario had shown their appearance either through their marketing or through the intro cutscene. Just like the original NSMB, they were nowhere to be found in the opening cutscene. That game had original bosses outside of Junior and Bowser. Nintendo has never kept them a secret throughout any game that had them.

Soon~ 1 week to Wanda ( according to JST )

meanwhile in 7 eleven japan

official page here

Why would it make you worries? It just seems that they want keep certain things a surprise.
Being excited and knowing there will be surprises in a 2D Mario game in the year of our lord 2023. Who would've thought?

Such a nice feeling, even for somebody who's only as old as Luigi's Mansion. (I did grow up playing the GBA version of Super Mario Bros. 3 though. Does that give me any brownie points?)

Looks like someone acquired and dumped the Mario Wonder kiosk demo. There's a VA list floating around online, but there was no attributes so we don't know who is who. Look out for spoilers if you wanna be shocked by who plays Mario, I guess lol.

Yep, someone has access to the demo build, though they don't appear to be interested in releasing their dump online (and the demo itself is mostly missing content past World 1 anyway, so no fear of endgame spoilers for now). I've gone through the provided cast list and have most of the roles down:

HHLZ9hB.png

By process of elimination here our new Mario and Luigi is, most likely, Mick Wingert! Given there's only three male American actors and one is Kenny James, technically it's worth considering Afghani as well; but his Genshin character sounds pretty close to the flower so i'm fairly confident.

As for the rest; Samantha Kelly, Kenny James and Caety Sagoian are here; the latter two are certainly reprising their usual roles. Technically it's possible, given she has multiple roles, that Samantha Kelly is only voicing the Toads now and Peach is someone else, but I think it's fair to assume it's still her for now. Yoshi and Daisy appear to have been definitively recast though; disappointing Deanna Mustard hasn't been given any fanfare at all if she'll no longer be involved with the series, her and Kazumi Totaka were the longest running Mario VAs behind Charles himself. Nabbit was already given a different voice awhile ago with NSMBU Deluxe and Mario Kart Tour but neither game has voice credits so we still don't know who it is (or if it's even the same person now).

All of the remaining American VAs have voiced for Fire Emblem before, so they'd certainly be on NoA's list. Pick between Daisy, Yoshi, Nabbit, Prince Florian and the Poplins (possibly Peach if you still think she's been recast) for who they could possibly be voicing.

If Rosalina is somewhere in the game like people expect she'd need to be recast; Laura Faye Smith isn't here either.

Last edited:
ok well it's not ai so no drama there lol

how did they dump a kiosk anyways?
If they were a store employee and had a modded switch it could've been as simple as taking the new demo cart, putting it in their own switch, and dumping it like any other game.

Yep, someone has access to the demo build, though they don't appear to be interested in releasing their dump online (and the demo itself is mostly missing content past World 1 anyway, so no fear of endgame spoilers for now). I've gone through the provided cast list and have most of the roles down:

5KZfL9L.png

By process of elimination here our new Mario and Luigi is, most likely, Mick Wingert! Given there's only three male American actors and one is Kenny James, technically it's worth considering Afghani as well; but his Genshin character sounds pretty close to the flower so i'm fairly confident.

As for the rest; Samantha Kelly, Kenny James and Caety Sagoian are here; the latter two are certainly reprising their usual roles. Technically it's possible, given she has multiple roles, that Samantha Kelly is only voicing the Toads now and Peach is someone else, but I think it's fair to assume it's still her for now. Yoshi and Daisy appear to have been definitively recast though; disappointing Deanna Mustard hasn't been given any fanfare at all if she'll no longer be involved with the series, her and Kazumi Totaka were the longest running Mario VAs behind Charles himself. Nabbit was already given a different voice awhile ago with NSMBU Deluxe and Mario Kart Tour but neither game has voice credits so we still don't know who it is (or if it's even the same person now).

All of the remaining American VAs have voiced for Fire Emblem before, so they'd certainly be on NoA's list. Pick between Daisy, Yoshi, Nabbit, Prince Florian and the Poplins (possibly Peach if you still think she's been recast) for who they could possibly be voicing.

If Rosalina is somewhere in the game like people expect she'd need to be recast; Laura Faye Smith isn't here either.
I'm just a tiny bit pissy now about Doug dangling Ashly Burch in front of us like that

5KZfL9L.png

I was rather confident that the entire voice cast was getting wiped after they officially announced Martinet was gone; Daisy and Yoshi also sounded off to me in the initial reveal trailer and Peach sounded off to me as well in the Princess Peach Showtime showcase during the most recent Nintendo Direct. Because of this, I'm a little surprised to see that Samantha Kelly is still around.

As someone who has been into Mario since basically Day #1 of my life (did my username not give it away?), not having Martinet around is going to be an incredibly bitter pill to swallow. My only other real exposure to non-Martinet Mario as a kid was some VHS tapes I had of the Super Show and SMB3 animated series. However, I will say that I'm very glad they seemed to go with someone with both a lot of voice acting experience and a lot of range. When looking over his roles, his experience as Heimerdinger from recent League of Legends projects stood out to me the most. I haven't played League of Legends in years, but Heimerdinger's voice is very much that kind of high-pitched voice Mario has that I don't think a lot of male voice actors can really hit. He's seems to be a very talented man, so hopefully he can do the character justice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom