• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't remind me of those dark times, 3 nintendo games that defeated the 89 curse in this year alone.
But I'm pretty confident that the 89 curse is making a comeback with both pikmin 4 and now the duo of super mario wonder and mario rpg remake falling prey to it.
Please stop with this meme. Not every game deserves a 90+. The way you guys act any great game is a victim of the 89 curse lol. Pikmin 4 got the same score as 3 and a similar score to 3 Deluxe, it really shouldn't be that surprising.

I don't know, I felt more hype during the announcement and then I saw the hype die down post direct, even if it's probably more of a famiboard bubble thing.
I expect the game to get the same reception that metroid dread got.
I'll be the third to chime in and say I have no idea what you're talking about. The initial reaction was "wow, this looks cool", and now there's a substantial number of media outlets singing its praises as potentially the best 2D Mario ever. The hype hasn't died down in the slightest, it's gone in the complete opposite direction.

I'll be the third to chime in and say I have no idea what you're talking about. The initial reaction was "wow, this looks cool", and now there's a substantial number of media outlets singing its praises as potentially the best 2D Mario ever. The hype hasn't died down in the slightest, it's gone in the complete opposite direction.
Yeah I'm probably in the wrong here.

Leitmotif’s went from really cool to just wanting it to end.

Yeah I get it calling back to the stArt of the adventure or whatever allegorical bullshit you can cook up is cool, But everyone is doing that it’s not unqiue, it’s not special, it’s certainly not interesting or thought provoking in any way, it’s just elitist at this point tbh, just throw a short melody there as an Easter egg and have the rest of it be unique, kid Icarus uprising got it right.

I also think it just doesn’t work in 2d platformers, sonic mania is imo the perfect 2d platforming soundtrack.

Elitist? Wtf?

When the game was announced I thought "this looks like it could be really cool" and was already pretty sure it would be better than NSMBU (a game that I think is great, if not particularly creative or unique). After playing the demo though my hype is for the roof. Just having it in your hands, it plays... wonderfully.

Yeah I’m a bit surprised how confident both Nate and MVG are in this scoring so highly. It’s certainly possible, but I’m not overly confident in that.

My gut feeling atm is that it’ll hit an even 90 on the dot.

Yeah, my hype only got higher and higher since the initial reveal, which I was kinda lukewarm on.

Yeah I’m a bit surprised how confident both Nate and MVG are in this scoring so highly. It’s certainly possible, but I’m not overly confident in that.

probably based on what there game journalist friends are saying about the game with their review copies

I got a minute of hands on at target! Went with yoshi to not spoil my first impression and didn’t play long because the controller was sticky lol

But wow this game is oozing quality

Played the first level at Target - first time in forever that I can remember trying an upcoming game at a store display. Absolutely charming, funny, and engaging. This'll likely be the first game in awhile that my wife and I play together - except that it's been so long since I've played my Switch that I can't find my dock or Joy-Con adapter! Time to order some stuff from Amazon, I suppose.

89 curse strikes is my guess!

Edit: I see people already mentioned this but oh well.

There is 0 special feelings directed from cheap motifs shoehorned into to be there without really even er needing to be there.

And important part of using leitmotifs is holding back and not going buck wild with them.
Lame weird and annoying take

Yall are using leightmotifs wrong,

Something like Yoshi's Bongos, that is a leightmotif. It's something that summarizes a character, idea, or area.

Something like Mario World using the same melody for all of its themes is a theme and variation, sometimes called a Fantasy.

And it's not inherently a bad thing. It can be done well, and it can be not done well. With any sort of music it's all about implementation, Mario World does it amazingly. Yoshis Crafted World does not.

Something like Yoshi's Bongos, that is a leightmotif. It's something that summarizes a character, idea, or area.

Something like Mario World using the same melody for all of its themes is a theme and variation, sometimes called a Fantasy.
Everyone was referring to it as being a leitmotif with such confidence that I didn't want to say anything myself. I spent the past week thinking I just forgot proper musical terminology.

And it's not inherently a bad thing. It can be done well, and it can be not done well. With any sort of music it's all about implementation, Mario World does it amazingly. Yoshis Crafted World does not.
Thanks. Someone had to say it. There are leitmotifs everywhere in the audiovisual media and it doesn't imply repeating the same melody.

It's interesting how initially I wasn't too impressed with Wonder but when you look at it, it really makes the NSMB games look pretty dogshit in comparison lol. And I like those games, but this just looks so much more interesting and less sterile. Really emphasizes how bland the NSMB actually were.

Can i just say how digital pre-orders (from a voucher in my case) are the worst?

You have that game icon sitting on your Switch for a whole week and can't play it.

How does the lives system work in this game? If you run out, how many does it give you? How does it work in multiplayer? Was hoping to play this with my wife but I've had bad experiences with multiplayer Mario in the past

How does the lives system work in this game? If you run out, how many does it give you? How does it work in multiplayer? Was hoping to play this with my wife but I've had bad experiences with multiplayer Mario in the past
Getting a game over gets you 5 lives afterwards, and everyone shares lives in multiplayer like 3D World.

Since the release date was announced I've been avoiding anything related to the game as I want it to surprise me, I've been making a lot of effort to push it out of my mind and I've successfully managed to trick the Google, Youtube and every other algorithm to leave Mario out...

...but today I suddenly realized...THE GAME'S OUT THIS FRIDAY!!!!

OMG just less than 4 days, now I'm suddenly at 200% hype hold me Fami!!!!

Getting a game over gets you 5 lives afterwards, and everyone shares lives in multiplayer like 3D World.
To add onto this, if a player dies in multiplayer, they become a ghost, and if another player touches the ghost in time, they come back without a life being deducted. So that may also reduce the lives burden!

Just saw the musical Piranha wonder effect and I wish I could've gone into that one blind. No more footage for me 😭

Does anyone know if you can change your character anytime, or if you are stuck with that character for a whole playthrough?

I was thinking of playing at least one level with every character to start with before going Daisy fulltime.

You know, I didn't really think about it till now, but I'm not sure how I'm going to play this game. The Switch's D-pad is kind of so-so for 2D games, but I also feel like this game might work really well with the analog stick since NSMB movement is basically 3D Mario but in 2D.

For the people who played this, what did you think of playing it on a Pro controller? How did you play it? Thoughts?

Does anyone know if you can change your character anytime, or if you are stuck with that character for a whole playthrough?

I was thinking of playing at least one level with every character to start with before going Daisy fulltime.
Yeah you can change characters at any time.

You know, I didn't really think about it till now, but I'm not sure how I'm going to play this game. The Switch's D-pad is kind of so-so for 2D games, but I also feel like this game might work really well with the analog stick since NSMB movement is basically 3D Mario but in 2D.

For the people who played this, what did you think of playing it on a Pro controller? How did you play it? Thoughts?
I personally used the D-pad for Wonder and had no problems, the analog stick is also a pretty good option.

I'm assuming the NSO SNES controller would probably work fine for this, right? There's nothing you'd need the stick buttons or the right stick for?

https://www.nintendo.com/us/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-11-super-mario-bros-wonder-part-1/

New Ask The Developer interview, chapters 3 and 4 coming tomorrow

Tezuka: We wanted to create a game with much more to offer than ever before, so this time, we didn't set a fixed time period for development, which is usually decided before we kick off. To create something truly enjoyable, we decided to take our time and dedicate ample budget for development without having to worry about the production schedule. So at first, we only had a small group working on the development.
Mouri : [...] Frankly speaking, I wanted to include at least one element in each course that would surprise or delight players. So I decided to consult Hayashida-san who had been involved in the development of 3D Mario games and ask him how he included such elements in Super Mario Odyssey.
Tezuka: We've always valued team-wide discussions, but remote work may have also had a major impact. Since meetings now took place online, we no longer had to limit the number of participants due to limited space in meeting rooms, so we made it a rule to open meetings to the entire development team so that anyone could join at any time.

Last edited:

F8pQEulWIAATLxn

Love the attention to details even for enemies stuck between blocks like that now.

I am constantly impressed by just how much this team gets it.

They understand what made Super Mario Bros. so special - the secrets, the surprises, the wonder. They understand the influences from modern 3D Mario to put into 2D. They understand how to pull from the visuals of the classic sprites and use them with 3D models to create such expressive models. They understand how expressive sound design communicates important concepts.

Friday cannot come soon enough. I gotta finish that ST tonight.

I am constantly impressed by just how much this team gets it.

They understand what made Super Mario Bros. so special - the secrets, the surprises, the wonder. They understand the influences from modern 3D Mario to put into 2D. They understand how to pull from the visuals of the classic sprites and use them with 3D models to create such expressive models. They understand how expressive sound design communicates important concepts.

Friday cannot come soon enough. I gotta finish that ST tonight.
So great to see them able to stretch their legs. Must've hurt to have to churn out NSMBU and 2 in such a short timeframe.

Gonna play this until it's wheels fall off! So thankful for all the little changes, including that respawning doesn't boot you back to the map anymore, that's gonna save so much time. Also glad to haven't seen a single ghost house in the previews yet :p .

Just hope that after this they'll keep being inventive with 2D Mario again. It's been a long wait since Yoshi's Island! xD

EDIT: Reading the article, holy heck, this is a star-studded team... :O

Last edited:

The remote working part is a great thing to hear. Adapting to rough circumstances in a way that may have been boon for development. It's very obvious Nintendo wanted a true brand new step for Mario 2D and not something shoe-horned or dull. They put time and maximum effort into the game and it was led by some of the best and oldest Mario devs Nintendo had.

I can't wait to play this game on Friday. I just need my eyes to get better in time lmao.

Koji Kondo (referred to as Kondo from this point on): Hello, I’m Koji Kondo. As the sound director for this title, I was responsible for the approach we took for the sound and for making the final judgment on its quality. I also composed some of the game's music myself. I've been involved in Super Mario games since the first Nintendo Entertainment System (6) game.

Kondo: I also contributed a lot of suggestions at the idea-sharing session.
You shared ideas too, Kondo-san?
Kondo:
Yes. I shared the idea of an eight-heads-tall, life-sized, live-action Mario humming along with the background music as he goes along.
Eight-heads-tall, life-sized Mario?!
Kondo:
Yes. When he jumps, he says to himself, "Boing!" ...The idea was never used, though.

lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom