• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mario’s voice doesn’t sound bad to me but it definitely feels off when I hear it. Though, ss a muppets fan this is something I used to with Kermit’s voice.

However, in cases of both Mario and Kermit you have consider that maybe the creators wanted to have those respective characters go in a slightly different direction. Heck even Martinet’s interpretation of Mario changed a lot between 64 and Odyssey.
The new Mario sounds much more spot-on to me than the new Kermit, at least 😅

811f45e965d728698ea87967547f471d3eb5b01a_hq.gif

Man give him at least some time, he just started to do this

Well, I don't have much choice either way.

I do take issue with people trying to claim it's identical. We can disagree on how close it is, but it ain't Martinet's Mario.

Has to be a life changing moment for this guy. Only other voice role was in Genshin Impact and now he’s the voice of Mario. Really happy for him.
always a fan of when someone basically unknown gets a chance like this

especially in video games where it feels like 50% of characters end up being either Troy Baker or Nolan North

So current list of the new VAs:
Kevin Afghani: Mario
Dawn M. Bennett: ???
Christine Marie Cabanos: ??? (Potentially Yoshi?)
Caitlyn Elizabeth: ???
Giselle Fernandez: ??? (Potentially Daisy?)
Mick Wingert: ???

Samantha Kelly is definitely still the voice of the Toads. Peach, I'm not so sure about though.

Welcome, Mario!

From his website:

I rambled until it couldn't fit!
My name is Kevin Zachary Afghani. I currently live and work around LA.

I decided to become a voice actor for a single reason; my absolute love for animation and video games. They are some of the most genuinely exciting forms of art that I have ever seen. Characters that exist only within the context of their media allow this art to transform into a beautifully immersive experience like no other. Whether that experience is fun, bubbly, dark, or moving, this art form is truly amazing and I absolutely had to become a part of it.

Characters are made up of a lot of things, but passion is what makes them truly exist. A writers passion, a directors passion, an actors passion, and so many more. I want to lend my passion to whatever characters I can. I want to give a piece of myself to the things that I love and that is really it.

If we're assuming Samantha Kelly is still Peach and the Toads/Toadette then the female VAs will presumably have to cover the following:

Daisy
Prince Florian
The Poplins
Yoshi
Nabbit (I can't see their regular VA in the list)

Why don’t companies start charging you more if you want the game earlier? I’ll pay $10 more to get it a week early lol.

I know they can’t do it of course
I mean, if you chose to get the more expensive premium editions of Starfield, you could play the game five days before release. And this ain't a new thing. Companies have been doing this shit for years. It's not a good practice, let's not encourage them.

Why don’t companies start charging you more if you want the game earlier? I’ll pay $10 more to get it a week early lol.

Some have started doing that, actually. I know a couple of recent-ish Sega games had early access included as part of the digital deluxe version. And people often buy the more expensive version of games like Starfield and Forza to play them early even though they were gonna be on Gamepass.

Last edited:
I mean, if you chose to get the more expensive premium editions of Starfield, you could play the game five days before release. And this ain't a new thing. Companies have been doing this shit for years. It's not a good practice, let's not encourage them.
Giving several days of early access seems like a pretty harmless way to shift some of the costs to whales.

Some have started doing that, actually. I know a couple of recent-ish Sega games had early access included as part of the digital deluxe version. And people often buy the more expensive version of games like Starfield and Forza to play them early even though they were gonna be on Gamepass.
I think Mortal Kombat 1 also had early access a week before its official release, but I could be mistaken.

This‘ll be the first game I pick up physically in a while, alongside Spider-Man 2. Can’t wait for next week

Tried out the demo too and it was a good time

Thing is stores get hard copies in stock weeks before the street date and someone working the warehouse often gets a little stupid every once in a while.

it's logistic reason. one can't expect a copies to delivered to store at the same time around to world

Nate thinks the minimum score will be 92. I wished I had that confidence
I think that sounds about right to me too. For comparison, NSMB DS and Wii are sitting at 89 and 87 respectively on metacritic; feels like a fresh, high-quality take on 2D Mario should manage to split the difference between Pikmin 4's 87 and TotK's 96.

Last edited:
Please don't remind me of those dark times, 3 nintendo games that defeated the 89 curse in this year alone.
But I'm pretty confident that the 89 curse is making a comeback with both pikmin 4 and now the duo of super mario wonder and mario rpg remake falling prey to it.
Seriously I don't get this joke at all.

Please don't remind me of those dark times, 3 nintendo games that defeated the 89 curse in this year alone.
But I'm pretty confident that the 89 curse is making a comeback with both pikmin 4 and now the duo of super mario wonder and mario rpg remake falling prey to it.
This game will be a 90 or above. The hype is too real for the return of a new style of 2D Mario.

I honestly think >90 is possible if it's good enough to overcome the "but it's just a 2D game"-bias. Celest managed an impressive score of 92. The first New Super Mario Bros just barely missed the 90 with its 89.

I don't know, I felt more hype during the announcement and then I saw the hype die down post direct, even if it's probably more of a famiboard bubble thing.
I expect the game to get the same reception that metroid dread got.
Uhh, I'm confused. If anything the hype seemed to grow?

Next week is likely going to be a very challenging for me personally but at the end of it will be the promise of a brand spankin’ new mainline Mario game 😤

I don't know, I felt more hype during the announcement and then I saw the hype die down post direct, even if it's probably more of a famiboard bubble thing.
I expect the game to get the same reception that metroid dread got.
Uh no? If anything, it seems to have risen, especially after people played the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom