• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be happy with stage rotations but more freedom over mode selection, where stages could vary by mode.

But please god no voting or mob selection, 1000%.

I'm not sure if a $60 game with limited lifetime support that already splits its playerbase by rank can afford to have loads of queues. I already struggle to find matches in quad league these days if it's not a splat zones rotation.

Could you elaborate on this? I don't quite understand
I'd enjoy if all modes were available, or at least more modes on certain playlists (eg. "Turf War" "Splat Zones/Tower Control" "Clam Blitz/Rainmaker")

That way, each playlist could have a different map selected, not unlike how the Regular/Ranked currently works, and players would get more choice / access to their favorite modes.

Ofc that has it's matchmaking woes as noted by @Lucyfer above, but other games I play handle it fine

I'd enjoy if all modes were available, or at least more modes on certain playlists (eg. "Turf War" "Splat Zones/Tower Control" "Clam Blitz/Rainmaker")

That way, each playlist could have a different map selected, not unlike how the Regular/Ranked currently works, and players would get more choice / access to their favorite modes.
I think adding more choice would be bad for Splatoon

right now everybody plays everything because you have to

Nah I just don't play Ranked if Clam Blitz is in rotation these days. I got X in it, I've done my time and it's still just pain and suffering lol

I agree though there are other ways to accomplish that, which is why I would embrace an overhaul of progression systems as well. For example, Halo Infinite (my current main multiplayer game since I tend to only keep one in rotation at a time) uses events and challenges to push players towards certain playlists. It's recommended, but not required. Nothing soured me more than logging into Splatoon 2 during a slim window of opportunity I had to play and not being able to play Salmon Run, though I know they addressed that pretty well in expanding it's availability. Now, Halo's fumble is that these challenges/events are the only means of progression, which is silly. Such a progression system should run parallel to an actual performance / xp one.

I agree though there are other ways to accomplish that, which is why I would embrace an overhaul of progression systems as well. For example, Halo Infinite (my current main multiplayer game since I tend to only keep one in rotation at a time) uses events and challenges to push players towards certain playlists. It's recommended, but not required. Nothing soured me more than logging into Splatoon 2 during a slim window of opportunity I had to play and not being able to play Salmon Run, though I know they addressed that pretty well in expanding it's availability. Now, Halo's fumble is that these challenges/events are the only means of progression, which is silly. Such a progression system should run parallel to an actual performance / xp one.
as a surprise, I wouldn't be surprised if Salmon Run is always available from now on. the off periods are so short now that it'd be a trivial change, even if it would be lame for lore

as for progression rewarding players for choosing certain modes, I could see that being a valuable tool for matchmaking. begging people to play clam blitz might be good

Not related but this reminded me that in 2 you need to grind levels for like 50+ hours to unlock all the weapons while in 1 it was more like 15 to 20 IIRC. Getting Ranked also took only 2 to 3 hours vs 5+ in 2.

Please fix this Nintendo aaaaaaah

Not related but this reminded me that in 2 you need to grind levels for like 50+ hours to unlock all the weapons while in 1 it was more like 15 to 20 IIRC. Getting Ranked also took only 2 to 3 hours vs 5+ in 2.

Please fix this Nintendo aaaaaaah
I think it's nice to keep it a hurdle

in fact, I think it would be cool to restrict ranked further. maybe require some single player too in a way that makes sense for the world

Alright here's my take on the single player discussion

First, we need to be realistic. Single Player in Splatoon will always be a side-mode or "tutorial" type situation to introduce players to the mechanics and world. It's not going to be extremely long or involved, as the multiplayer is the heart of the game. There's a chance we get something that takes more risks in the "side-mode vain" like Octo Expansion did, but it will still be short, tight and sweet. If you're putting pressure on the single player to entirely prop-up the value of the game, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

That said, I don't feel it's at all wrong to expect the single player to evolve beyond what has been done so far. Personally, I want the Single Player to be what makes me care more about the multiplayer. Give me context to these beautiful worlds and characters you've created. The abstract levels are fun of course, but I hope (and it appears) that the hubs and "meat" between them will be more meaningful. I want the Single Player to light the fire that is my experience with the multiplayer for hopefully years to come.

If you saw my previous post, you know I'm not hinging my entire hope in this game on that happening. I have quite a few directions I could respect them going in, this just happens to be my favorite :)

as a surprise, I wouldn't be surprised if Salmon Run is always available from now on. the off periods are so short now that it'd be a trivial change, even if it would be lame for lore

as for progression rewarding players for choosing certain modes, I could see that being a valuable tool for matchmaking. begging people to play clam blitz might be good
10,000 matches of clam blitz gets you the coveted clam costume

I'm fine with stage rotations for Ranked Battle, given that there are actual consequences to your game results. Having a familiarity with the stages in rotation gives you a better idea of what your load out should be.

Turf War though? Nah. That's not serious enough to warrant such a restrictive selection. Either do what Mario Kart does, or just randomize the whole selection.

I'm fine with stage rotations for Ranked Battle, given that there are actual consequences to your game results. Having a familiarity with the stages in rotation gives you a better idea of what your load out should be.

Turf War though? Nah. That's not serious enough to warrant such a restrictive selection. Either do what Mario Kart does, or just randomize the whole selection.
it's about learning the nuances of the stages though

you understand them better when you play them repeatedly in a short period

it's about learning the nuances of the stages though

you understand them better when you play them repeatedly in a short period
I know that, hence why I think it's good for Ranked Battle, where results are important. You don't need that sort of familiarity for something as casual as Turf War though.

That said, I don't feel it's at all wrong to expect the single player to evolve beyond what has been done so far. Personally, I want the Single Player to be what makes me care more about the multiplayer. Give me context to these beautiful worlds and characters you've created. The abstract levels are fun of course, but I hope (and it appears) that the hubs and "meat" between them will be more meaningful. I want the Single Player to light the fire that is my experience with the multiplayer for hopefully years to come.

If you saw my previous post, you know I'm not hinging my entire hope in this game on that happening. I have quite a few directions I could respect them going in, this just happens to be my favorite :)
Oop one more thought

As for why I'm okay with them taking a different direction? Well, they know better than me! For example, imagine if Splatoon 1 + 2 used their menu based hubs for all navigation, but instead spent those resources creating a detailed world hub for the single player. You'd see it for what, 1-3 hours? By using that for the main navigation of the game, you see it every time you play.

Likewise, Salmon run wasn't just tossed in as a game mode. It has lore, unique characters, assets, and so on. I trust them to continue to make smart decisions like that.

I know that, hence why I think it's good for Ranked Battle, where results are important. You don't need that sort of familiarity for something as casual as Turf War though.
but it's more fun to learn and understand the stages than to pick from a list

Consider this:

Picking your weapon after the stage vote
I am not a fan of voting cause I feel I’ll get funneled in to the top favorites. And I feel I like stages that are not as well liked… like camp teiggerfish lol

Just rotate, but have it be four stages in the rotation.

I am not a fan of voting cause I feel I’ll get funneled in to the top favorites. And I feel I like stages that are not as well liked… like camp teiggerfish lol

Just rotate, but have it be four stages in the rotation.

I feel like that almost makes the issue I quoted worse. There is no way you can pick one weapon that fits 4 stages most of the time.

I would rather have some kind of offline bots thing to practice playing the ranked modes than a single player thing, tbh

I never even bothered finishing the one in Splatoon 2

Oh Camp Triggerfish and Arowana Mall are on? I guess I'll just bang my head against a wall instead, that'll surely be more fun.

Woomy.

Looking forward to more news, as a Splatoon Enjoyer. I want more of the single player and want to see if there's any new stuff, but I think regardless I'll get enough to satisfy me.

Truth be told, I don't think this Direct will be enough to sell some people, and that's okay.

I think right now a LOT of players go "oh the maps/mode right now are bad? i guess i'll play another day"
And sadly for me, that just means not playing Splatoon tbh. I fall off Multiplayer games very easily if they can't fit into my "groove", because it's too hard to juggle multiple of them. So, unless the game has something to pull me back in (eg. an Update, event, etc), odds are I'lll drop it.

The real pain of the stage schedule for me is not knowing it far enough in advance and the windows being so small tbh. With other games I can at least know "if I play next weekend I'll have X experience".

personally I can't imagine being that choosey

it's all Splatoon, it all kicks my ass and pisses me off, so I just play it when I feel up to it and play what's there

And sadly for me, that just means not playing Splatoon tbh. I fall off Multiplayer games very easily if they can't fit into my "groove", because it's too hard to juggle multiple of them. So, unless the game has something to pull me back in (eg. an Update, event, etc), odds are I'lll drop it.

The real pain of the stage schedule for me is not knowing it far enough in advance and the windows being so small tbh. With other games I can at least know "if I play next weekend I'll have X experience".

Yup. I look at https://splatoon2.ink/, and if there's nothing good in ranked during the next time I'm free to play, I'll just play something else. It's made getting back into Splatoon 2 kinda difficult, since I am NOT in the mood to throw myself at rainmaker on arowana, moray, walleye or wahoo world 3+ times a week with an already frustrating, unbalanced ranked system.

If the league rotations are good, I may ask a friend or 3 to play, but that's not always possible and in twin league it's even less balanced than ranked.

Yup. I look at https://splatoon2.ink/, and if there's nothing good in ranked during the next time I'm free to play, I'll just play something else. It's made getting back into Splatoon 2 kinda difficult, since I am NOT in the mood to throw myself at rainmaker on arowana, moray, walleye or wahoo world 3+ times a week with an already frustrating, unbalanced ranked system.

If the league rotations are good, I may ask a friend or 3 to play, but that's not always possible and in twin league it's even less balanced than ranked.
lol I can't believe Splatoon needs a fansite to check this

imagine being a typical schmuck who doesn't know about this who has to boot up the game and sit through the announcements each time to figure out whether or not the game will be fun to play today

lol I can't believe Splatoon needs a fansite to check this

imagine being a typical schmuck who doesn't know about this who has to boot up the game and sit through the announcements each time to figure out whether or not the game will be fun to play today
NSO App ;)

meanwhile-nintendo.gif

FYI, Moray was the most popular map in 1 overall, and Walleye was the most popular in Japan so stage voting would mean you would be playing on maps like those a lot. That's the #1 reason I'm against stage-voting; back in 2016 the playerbase demonstrated it had awful taste and I highly doubt anything has changed in that regard lmao

After thinking on it, my one main change I’d want for this game - before no map rotations, no mode lockouts, and even a load out system - is for the progression system to not be so incredibly focused on whether you win or not.

Losing a game because your team fucked up at the last second, and then getting 1 tenth the amount of XP the other team gets, just feels crap. In most other team-based titles with XP systems, winning or losing comes second to doing well. That’s despite said other games having ways to conveniently play with friends. But in Splatoon, 90% of the things you do don’t net you XP, and the other 10% give a pittance.

Overall Splatoon’s progression systems always just felt so slow and unrewarding to me. I hope they fix it, but I doubt they will.

EDIT: Id also add that, as Splatoon’s skill ceiling is so high, this unrewarding feeling only gets worse over time. By magnitudes the better people are, the slower your own progression will be. I can see this issue being particularly bad in 3 given that there won’t be as many non-Wii U newbies levelling the playing field.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the mode and map rotations, just add another map or two to the rotation.

Also I like Moray Towers and hope it comes back.

After thinking on it, my one main change I’d want for this game - before no map rotations, no mode lockouts, and even a load out system - is for the progression system to not be so incredibly focused on whether you win or not.

Losing a game because your team fucked up at the last second, and then getting 1 tenth the amount of XP the other team gets, just feels crap. In most other team-based titles with XP systems, winning or losing comes second to doing well. That’s despite said other games having ways to conveniently play with friends. But in Splatoon, 90% of the things you do don’t net you XP, and the other 10% give a pittance.

Overall Splatoon’s progression systems always just felt so slow and unrewarding to me. I hope they fix it, but I doubt they will.

I hope they even make the progression matter in the first place after the first 30 levels. I sure love getting 1 sea snail every time I level up and nothing else after I've unlocked all the weapons :)

Also, I would rather them keep the current system of 2 maps per rotation than increase it to 3 or 4 if they do keep rotations. I often already struggle to pick a weapon that works on both maps in the current system.

I feel like that almost makes the issue I quoted worse. There is no way you can pick one weapon that fits 4 stages most of the time.
Well we do have loadouts and I often will change gear. But honestly, I have found in 7 years that almost every weapon style works for a stage.

Also, I would rather them keep the current system of 2 maps per rotation than increase it to 3 or 4 if they do keep rotations. I often already struggle to pick a weapon that works on both maps in the current system.
On the other hand, I'd love a little bit more variety. I always want to play on map A, but somehow map B is the one I'm playing like 4 times in a row. It gets kinda stale sometimes

Your opinion is completely valid, but as a competitive player I couldn't disagree more 😅
Also a competitive player, I also couldn't disagree more either! Seems we are at an impasse! :p

And Turf War should have 4 map rotations, especially since it is flat out the quick play for fun mode.

I'd prefer rotations be an hour rather than having more stages

that quick repeated play was (and is) essential to my learning experience with the game

I would be on board with this if they keep rotations!
Keep in mind when we talk about to stations we usually talk turf not ranked, as that’s the good times chill mode.

Just no votes because those people ruin my Mario Kart time when I see 90 percent Moo Moo Meadows and my track selection being anything else lol

I did the pro gamer move and skipped Splatoon 2 after feeing like I got enough with the first Splatoon. Now everything is new to me and Splatoon 3 can’t possibly disappoint me as a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom