• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No clue what the chances are, but I think a kraken rework could work really well. In my opinion kraken was actually well designed BESIDES the fact it was instant invincibility. Give it a little windup time and some other changes and I'd love to see it return.
If they bring back Kraken, my wife will ascend to Valhalla instantly.

Is there a someone who would be kind enough to send me link to record of the Direct once it's over? Since am on vacation and will probably not be able to catch it live, don't want to get spoiled. I am not sure if Nintendo deletes the live streams and uploads the Directs separately. Thanks.

Is there a someone who would be kind enough to send me link to record of the Direct once it's over? Since am on vacation and will probably not be able to catch it live, don't want to get spoiled. I am not sure if Nintendo deletes the live streams and uploads the Directs separately. Thanks.

I'll set a reminder on my phone to send you the link on here abt an hour after it starts?

the directs always go up right after the live stream

F*** me, I just pre-ordered the Splatoon Switch. I was weak and vulnerable. Oh well. Selling my old Switch and ready for new screen bliss.

F*** me, I just pre-ordered the Splatoon Switch. I was weak and vulnerable. Oh well. Selling my old Switch and ready for new screen bliss.
the oled is that good good

as someone who had similar buyer's remorse directly after ordering, trust me that you won't regret it once it comes in

the oled is that good good

as someone who had similar buyer's remorse directly after ordering, trust me that you won't regret it once it comes in
Thanks man, I realized there's still so much I want to play might as well enrich the experience. I believe when the new edition Switch comes out the Splatoon Switch will keep its value anyway.

I feel a lot of problems with the game would get fixed if they just added a "server browser" for custom games, really. There's private games, but you basically need to have a full group of 8 for that to work.

Want to play with friends without the game enforcing some weird balance rules on you that end with all your friends in the rival team? Make a custom match.
Want to play a map that isn't in rotation right now? Custom match.
Want to go solo bucket against an entire enemy team? Custom match.
Couldn't be a "server" browser without actual servers running them, but yeah. A setup like Mario Kart 8's tournaments would probably work fine enough.

nintendo's big multiplayer game does not need a single player campaign to justify its existence
It doesn't, but Octo Expansion is possibly the best TPS campaign ever made (maybe only Vanquish is better than it), so here's hoping Splatoon 3's solo campaign follows Octo's steps.

honestly i just hope for substantial improvements in online aspects, which we know most likely wont happen so this direct is already disappointing for me lmao

Some maybe reasonable or maybe unreasonable expectations

Rise of the Mammalians: Short trailer for story mode followed by announcer recapping story setup with 3 retiring and the mysterious new hairy ink. Gives a better glimpse of little buddy eating the hairy ink. Octostamp comes back with a new, new coat. More footage of the snowy rocket hub and probably a look at the desert hub. The splat weapons get upgraded with the zipcaster grapple function in the snowy rocket area. Dpad left and right now used to cycle through bombs, dpad down to switch between normal fire and zipcaster grapple when using splat weapons. Some levels have specific weapon sets like Octo Expansion.

Welcome to Splatsville: Shows the hub more, conspicuously avoiding wherever the idols are. Highlights all the stores including a new music store and radio station. Battle music is done via an in-universe radio station and eventually (maybe when you hit level 30?) you get the ability to set your own playlists with whatever music you own. Music store selection rotates weekly. No mention of squid beats. Spike returns to handle snails again.

Menus are treated diegetically as phone apps. One of them is an instagram knockoff that automatically saves all your drawings and any drawings you favorite when walking around the plaza. They talk a bunch about the new nametags, which are also used as the background for the phone menu. VC supported in-game with friends and with a new version of Splatnet available in-game on the phone menu and in the NSO app. Other than VC the in-game and phone apps are basically identical and offer stat tracking similar to what 2 had. The numbers on the nametags are still not explained.

Multiplayer: 8 stages listed (2 returning, 6 new, 3 announced in direct). Zones, rainmaker, tower control, and clams all returning day 1 but now called special modes. Turf can now be a special mode but with rule changes that accommodate overtime and require a team to have a significant lead, starting at 5% and ticking down steadily after 30 seconds of overtime (not detailed in direct). No word on available lobbies and rotations.

1 new main weapon, another stringer is shown. Torpedo and fizzy bomb return with significant changes, no sign of other unconfirmed secondaries. Promise of new maps and weapon kits monthly.

Salmon Run Next Wave: Mr. Grizz does not appear in the direct. Kaiju salmon is a cumulative experience that is a special, extra difficult set of 3 rounds that you work towards unlocking during a shift and can then challenge until you beat it, hence the "next wave" name. 1 new map, 1 returning map shown. Lil' buddy teased as an assist character of some kind.

3 idols this time. 1 squid, 1 octopus, and 1 non-playable sea creature. They embrace chaos and refuse to stick to the left or right side of things and present the news much more dynamically.

Testfire splatfest the weekend of the 27th-28th. The splatfest is a 3 way contest, chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry (continuing the strange summer 2022 desert theme between Mario Kart, Kirby, and Splatoon). Strawberry will get maybe 20% of the vote but end up sweeping the gameplay side of things which will make people appropriately salty.

1st wave of amiibo announced for holiday 2022, similar to the launch waves of the first two games, each now unlocks an outfit and associated nametag.

The final thing shown is the beginning of the news except the player skips it before the new idols can say anything.

Menus are treated diegetically as phone apps. One of them is an instagram knockoff that automatically saves all your drawings and any drawings you favorite when walking around the plaza. They talk a bunch about the new nametags, which are also used as the background for the phone menu. VC supported in-game with friends and with a new version of Splatnet available in-game on the phone menu and in the NSO app. Other than VC the in-game and phone apps are basically identical and offer stat tracking similar to what 2 had.
BIG fan of this

give me diagetic phone menus, especially if the new splatnet is identical

I liked it but I don’t get the overwhelming praise for the Octo Expansion.

I actually liked the other single player modes more in the series.
Octo Expansion does a fantastic job of setting itself apart from the previous single player modes. It retains the same base gameplay but is more willing to go in a new direction with its style and structure. It gives us greater insight into the fan favorite characters from Splatoon 2 while bringing back the characters from the first that didn't return previously, adds to the lore of the Splatoon universe, and has a killer final stretch. It may reuse bosses from 2, but to be fair, this is an expansion and not its own game, so I can understand it a bit more.

Splatoon 2's base single player isn't badly made, it's a very good time, even, but it's highly derivative of the first game in style and execution, doesn't push the lore much compared to what we got in the first game, and has a much less satisfying final boss compared to the first game's amazing finale. Octo Expansion is the inverse in that regard - it feels truly fresh, and it and Salmon Run are Splatoon 2's biggest standout additions compared to the first game.

FYI, Moray was the most popular map in 1 overall, and Walleye was the most popular in Japan so stage voting would mean you would be playing on maps like those a lot. That's the #1 reason I'm against stage-voting; back in 2016 the playerbase demonstrated it had awful taste and I highly doubt anything has changed in that regard lmao
Moray Towers is the dirt worst. Tell me this is not true!

Any last idol guesses? They definitely could buck tradition with the chaos theme and have a band instead... here's my guess if it's following old rules:

Left/Callie idol: Bubblegum pink Octoling girl

Right/Marie idol: Emo/Rocker dark green Inkling Girl or same concept but androgynous/GNC

Moray Towers is the dirt worst. Tell me this is not true!
The final splatfest poll for Splatoon 1 sure was something. The three most popular maps were Moray Towers, Kelp Dome, and Walleye Warehouse so we had 48 hours of just those 3 maps. It was great.

By great I mean horrible, and my personal experience has been that it's still a popular stage among non-competitive players because it's "unique" and "fun" please kill me

It's possible they bring Moray Towers back but I would rather have a spiritual successor that has a similar concept but isn't a completely awful thing to actually play on.

I've been trying to get through it but attaching currency to your attempts is really hurting my enthusiasm

After I learned what happens if you go bankrupt I was actually sad I never ran out of money. It's fun and no reason for anxiety at all.

Couldn't be a "server" browser without actual servers running them, but yeah. A setup like Mario Kart 8's tournaments would probably work fine enough.

I think that's why she used scare quotes lol
Yeeeep. I don't expect them to use dedicated servers for this entry either; but most people familiar with other shooters would get what "server browser" means.

In reality I'd expect them to continue with the "Private battle" naming scheme and just call them "Public battles" or something like that.

I would like to see local split screen MP/private friend lobbies, being able to invite them to a small game (can’t remember if 2 had this or if it worked in an odd way)

Here's my prediction for the how it's gonna go down:

OPENING is either single player trailer or showing off a new ranked mode
We're next introduced to either the main idols or possibly band who introduce us to the Direct
Hub overview, show shops and shop-owners, the Judds, whoever is being 'Spyke' this game
Stages, gameplay examples of each mode
Amiibo and Pre-order bonuses detailed
ENDING with Splatfest announcement, either as a Testfire or soon after the game launches

Don't be surprised when the Direct host explains for the 5895th time what Splatoon is and how to play, then rehashes all of the Twitter news in video form (obviously not saying that'll be all of the Direct, but it'll probably start with a few minutes of that)

Don't be surprised when the Direct host explains for the 5895th time what Splatoon is and how to play, then rehashes all of the Twitter news in video form (obviously not saying that'll be all of the Direct, but it'll probably start with a few minutes of that)
You gotta sell to new people as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom