• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They surely can get into showing the game more generously, detailing the online handling, a hypothetical new ranked mode* and the solo, but multiplayer wise they already showed the new elements that will make it play different than 2, the new moves and specials are all it takes to change the game.
We can already see the new maps designs being pretty different by extension.

*but to be honest given the datamined test modes in 2 being variation of tower control and rainmaker and clam blitz being pretty convoluted, I'm not even particularly expecting one, think the symetrical formula is kinda limiting.

They surely can get into showing the game more generously, detailing the online handling, a hypothetical new ranked mode* and the solo, but multiplayer wise they already showed the new elements that will make it play different than 2, the new moves and specials are all it takes to change the game.
We can already see the new maps designs being pretty different by extension.

*but to be honest given the datamined test modes in 2 being variation of tower control and rainmaker and clam blitz being pretty convoluted, I'm not even particularly expecting one, think the symetrical formula is kinda limiting.

That's exactly the thing, they need to get into new things that aren't part of the core gameplay. We know the core gameplay is Splatoon, and I am already very excited to try out the new specials, weapons, squid roll/surge and new maps, but we don't know anything about the menus, how the modes are set up/formatted, the gear system, amiibo, idols (if they're a thing), more new weapons, any more new sub weapons/specials we haven't seen, social features and any other new features.

For instance, when they started showing off the weapon classes, I fully expected them to show a new shooter, a new blaster or new dualies, but they didn't. Those threads would've been the perfect opportunity to do so.

Big Woomy in agreement to the idea that 99% of Splatoon's room to improve is in everything surrounding the gameplay.

The casual mode we'll all start with...

Turf War: Paint the map. Team with the most area covered in their color after 3 minutes wins. Walls don't count. I repeat - walls don't count. Obviously killing opponents helps win, as the time spend respawning is time not spend painting. But some weapons are so good at covering a lot of turf fast, they don't need to kill. Others need to kill them. In practice games often come down to whoever can get a wipe or partial wipe 30 seconds from end.

Ranked modes are unlocked after a while, if Splatoon 3 keeps the tradition of the previous two...

Splat Zone: Teams try to keep control of a marked area of the map for a certain amount of time to win. Control is gained by painting over the other team's color. This mode keeps the basic concept of Turf War and condenses it into a tinier space, making the mode more focused on taking out opponents before painting; at least if your weapon has worse ink consumption or less range than the other side who's able to paint over your color from a safe distance with greater efficency. Or, if you're more the not so aggressive type yourself, you pick one of those defensive shooters, too.

Tower Control: You ride a tower along a pre-set track into the other team's base to win. Painting doesn't factor into the win condition directly, but you'll still need to kill and paint key points of the map to gain control of the fight, for example around a choke point the tower may have to pass through. If no team has reached the other's base by the 5 minute mark (the timer for all ranked mode compared to Turf Wars 3 minutes), the team that came closest wins. But games don't end as long as at least one member of the currently losing team is still on the tower, which frequently leads to exciting last ditch pushes for those last decisive inches. Similar overtime nailbiters can happen in the other ranked modes, though never in Turf Wars which always end on time.

Rain Maker: You have to carry the rainmaker into the other team's base to win. The rainmaker is a weapon. Carrying it slows down the wielder, but in exchange they get to fire off huge nukes made of ink to clear a path. Due to the slow charge time, they still require heavy support from their teammates. Think of Rainmaker like a reverse Capture the Flag with a flag that snares the carrier but fires off mortar strikes. Painting the map is important here because Inklings, including the holder of the rainmaker, move faster through their own ink.

There was a fourth ranked mode in Splatoon 2, but I'm not sure it'll make a return. And we'll probably get at least one new mode in Splatoon 3 that hasn't been in the games before.

And on the PVE side, in addition to the story campaign...

Salmon Run: A horde mode which has you take on waves of enemies in co-operation with three other players. The goal here is to survive waves of enemies and bring a special kind of item dropped by the bigger, more dangerous mobs back to a stationary collecting spot. Enemies leave their own trail of ink, hindering players' movement while returning their cargo, so you can literally tell by the color of the ground when you're getting overwhelmed by the continuing flood of enemies.

Important to note that the ranked modes and Salmon Run are available on a set rotation in Splatoon and Splatoon 2, while Turf War can be played at all times. Although we haven't gotten confirmation one way or the other, as far as I know, this will likely not change in Splatoon 3.
Thanks for that information (quite a lot of effort on your part), game sounds quite interesting. I’ll definitely be picking it up in September rotating it between Mario Kart for my online fix.

Do you think any maps from Splatoon 2 will be returning? And do you want them to?

On the one hand, I think it'd be strange to have the same map in multiple games on one console unless it's heavily remodeled, but on the other hand, Splatoon 2 had some real highlights (MakoMart, The Reef, Sturgeon Shipyard) that I'd love to play with the new movement mechanics and specials.

Do you think any maps from Splatoon 2 will be returning? And do you want them to?

On the one hand, I think it'd be strange to have the same map in multiple games on one console unless it's heavily remodeled, but on the other hand, Splatoon 2 had some real highlights (MakoMart, The Reef, Sturgeon Shipyard) that I'd love to play with the new movement mechanics and specials.
It's safe to say that some maps from 1 and 2 will be returning for sure.

I really can't wait for this game any longer. Really became my most hyped game the last few days and weeks. The full blow out will be glorious.

Give me back Saltspray Rig. That map was my jam in OG Splatoon and I was always sad it never returned in 2.

I really can't wait for this game any longer. Really became my most hyped game the last few days and weeks. The full blow out will be glorious.
Excited for Xenoblade 3 to come out... so the marketing team will start putting its full focus into Splatoon 3 :ROFLMAO:

Nah they can stay in 2. Most of them were way too small with too many chokepoints for my liking. It's part of the reason why shooters are currently dominating the meta. I'd rather they focus on bringing back Splatoon 1's maps that haven't returned yet.

Mako (it's just too good to not show up), Manta (so many walls), and Wahoo (gotta make another round of horrific amiibo mascot costumes) seem all but guaranteed in my mind, Humpback & Reef seem likely too. Shellendorf, Goby, and Albacore definitely won't come back and I'd bet Starfish won't come back due to its role as 2's signature stage (same for Urchin Underpass for 1). Skipper will depend on whether they remake Saltspray from the ground up or make a new U or Y shaped map, but I'm sure there will be 1 map of that type eventually. The rest all seem unlikely to return but possible.

I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the maps that don't make the cut are reused for special splatfest maps alongside shifty stations.

Then there's the question of Splat 1 maps returning for their 3rd trip... I bet there will be 1, probably towards the end, only question is whether it will be Moray, Blackbelly, or Ancho-V

R.bd16920ebe1dd591d8368893a733ac89

This sequence of levels and challenges was way too good. I really wonder how they will top the Octo DLC. My expectations for the singelplayer are quite high after so many years.

This sequence of levels and challenges was way too good. I really wonder how they will top the Octo DLC. My expectations for the singelplayer are quite high after so many years.

Pure speculation but I'm expecting some levels to be more traditional, and some levels to be more challenge-like similar to octo expansion. A lot of the screenshots look like traditional levels, but then some screenshots have the player standing there without a weapon, or with a more segmented level with a checkpoint that looks similar to the checkpoints in octo expansion.

Pure speculation but I'm expecting some levels to be more traditional, and some levels to be more challenge-like similar to octo expansion. A lot of the screenshots look like traditional levels, but then some screenshots have the player standing there without a weapon, or with a more segmented level with a checkpoint that looks similar to the checkpoints in octo expansion.
Yep, it looks like it has an overworld portion with all the mammal stuff and separately some challenge levels.

Yep, it looks like it has an overworld portion with all the mammal stuff and separately some challenge levels.

I noticed something interesting actually. Whenever we've seen Agent 3 so far, when they have the wintery outfit they've been seen with the Hero Shot every time. And when they have the desert outfit they always have either no weapon or a normal multiplayer weapon. I wonder if that means anything.

Edit: nevermind just noticed a screenshot I missed where they have a sloshing machine with the winter outfit

I noticed something interesting actually. Whenever we've seen Agent 3 so far, when they have the wintery outfit they've been seen with the Hero Shot every time. And when they have the desert outfit they always have either no weapon or a normal multiplayer weapon. I wonder if that means anything.

Edit: nevermind just noticed a screenshot I missed where they have a sloshing machine with the winter outfit
oh, still interesting tho

Man I really hope they don't wait until (less than) a week before release for that testfire. I need my fix and I need it ASAP!

Also, my partner uses mouse and keyboard for Splatoon, using a special adapter with a custom script to translate mouse movements and keyboard inputs to motion controls and controller buttons. This is due to disability reasons making it difficult for them to hold a controller. We gotta know about any new button mappings and possible changes to the motion controls before launch so we have time to modify the script accordingly.

Last edited:
I know I've used this image multiple times already, but

unknown-218.png

This image is still god tier. But seriously if we are getting Direct between 4th and 11th of August I will probably not catch it live since I will be on vacation, fuck.

Also tomorrow appears to be a Holiday in Japan but it looks like it's not national to we are probably fine.

This image is still god tier. But seriously if we are getting Direct between 4th and 11th of August I will probably not catch it live since I will be on vacation, fuck.

Also tomorrow appears to be a Holiday in Japan but it looks like it's not national to we are probably fine.
Tomorrow's holiday is Marine Day, even if it was a national holiday there's no way they wouldn't post 😆

I would like some Splatoon 2 maps to return and have a makeover. It can either be just the best returning like MakoMart or some fixes applied to those that could do with them like Skipper Pavilion. I would prefer it if it's not restricted to just Splatoon 1.

As for Monday's tweet? I am going to make a guess and say that Brellas will be revealed next, and both Splat Brella and the Tenta Brella would be revealed.

Thank you for reading.

Do we know anything about the story campaign at all? Is this expected to be a full story drive 3D platformer adventure mode ALA something like Ratchet & Clank or will this just be a short tacked on arcade style run and gun thing solving some puzzles with a handful of nifty cutscenes to tie it together?

Do we know anything about the story campaign at all? Is this expected to be a full story drive 3D platformer adventure mode ALA something like Ratchet & Clank or will this just be a short tacked on arcade style run and gun thing solving some puzzles with a handful of nifty cutscenes to tie it together?
We don't know, however after the success of octo expansion I'm expecting more than the last 2 base game campaigns. It will never be a full game type thing though, as Splatoon's focus remains on the multiplayer.

They tweeted on a Marine Day before, if we don't get anything in 15 minutes then be ready for some good news today

edit: nevermind they haven't tweeted on Marine Day, or at least my searching skills are not good enough

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be really fucking funny if they jebait us and post a brand at the usual announcement time

Edit: nothing by noon and I'll start going into freakout mode

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be really fucking funny if they jebait us and post a brand at the usual announcement time

Edit: nothing by noon and I'll start going into freakout mode
I checked once again and they haven't tweeted on previous Marine Days or at least I can't find it so

Anyone else got some cool idol names/ideas for the main two idols in Splatoon 3? Me and a friend had OCs called "Siren and Brine" which is a bit cheesy but I still kinda like

No tweet is more exciting to me than a new tweet tbh.

Also, a new trailer about a game full of sea creatures on a day about celebrating the sea would be a really cool promotional tie-in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SplatoonJP did tweet multiple things on Marine Day in 2019
damn, you are right. For some reason I was only looking for tweets by @Nintendo. Interesting turn around, if there is something it will be in 40 minutes and since the Holiday is only in Japan it would be no big deal to release a trailer today.

I mean, a testfire for early August could easily be announced before Xenoblade is out. But I know it's not gonna happen either lmao
We really are realists but will never lose a hope for something.

Either way, it feels absolutely surreal that we will play this game in short of 53 days. Itfeels unbelievable that this game was even announced, Direct in the middle of pandemic after almost year and a half without one. When I saw the reveal trailer I didn't take it actually happened, the time we were living in. It was after the announcement when Takahashi said it with big logo in the background, that it's actually happening. Absolutely surreal moment for me that I will remember for a long time.

I'm playing the DLC for the firs time just now. I've just got the second piece but man is it challenging!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom