• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hopes/expectations for the SplatoonJP tweet? Friday has been kind of a wildcard day recently. I'm expecting a returning map, but obviously hoping for a testfire or something

Any hopes/expectations for the SplatoonJP tweet? Friday has been kind of a wildcard day recently. I'm expecting a returning map, but obviously hoping for a testfire or something
I think one of the things they'll confirm at some point is the in-game display names and all the details about the user cards

I think one of the things they'll confirm at some point is the in-game display names and all the details about the user cards
I think we mostly had that back in May already. They've milked dry pretty much everything we've seen in the last trailer

I think we mostly had that back in May already. They've milked dry pretty much everything we've seen in the last trailer

I'd like them to confirm outright that you can have a separate name in Splatoon, but I suppose they won't return to the subject in another tweet

Wonder how much returning stuff are left to reveal. The Brellas have not been showcased yet, and maybe the brush but that is a very minor group (only two of them!) unless they also reveal a new brush weapon. Clothing brands also have not been fully revealed yet, where we still didn't see Firefin, Inkline, Skalop, Splash Mob, and Zink yet. And then there are gear abilities, which I don't think we have seen until now.

Also, I felt that there are quite some new Sub and Special weapons that were not revealed yet, like how the Toxic Mist/Disruptor is not revealed even though we know that the Sub is shown, only because the player in the Turf War showcase never used it.

Thank you for reading.

I have never played a splatoon game before and have not even remotely followed this franchise. I am going to jump in with Splatoon 3. I’m pretty much blind, what am I in for ?

Hopefully a Testfire soon so you can get a free taste of Turf War ahead of release.

I think the most surprising thing about Splatoon, given the colorful, friendly aesthetic, is how rage-inducing it can be. 4v4 means one player being off their game can doom their entire team, just as one player having a hot streak can win a match by themselves. Kill times are also on the low end for shooters, so if you get caught out and the other side knows how to aim, you go splat quicker than you realize what's up.

If you specifiy what areas you're curious about, I'll be happy to get into more detail.

Hopefully a Testfire soon so you can get a free taste of Turf War ahead of release.

I think the most surprising thing about Splatoon, given the colorful, friendly aesthetic, is how rage-inducing it can be. 4v4 means one player being off their game can doom their entire team, just as one player having a hot streak can win a match by themselves. Kill times are also on the low end for shooters, so if you get caught out and the other side knows how to aim, you go splat quicker than you realize what's up.

If you specifiy what areas you're curious about, I'll be happy to get into more detail.
August seems like the right time for a Testfire. Gives LAL and Xenoblade room to breath a little, and August seems pretty empty for the most part. Give people a little taste just before it launches.

I have never played a splatoon game before and have not even remotely followed this franchise. I am going to jump in with Splatoon 3. I’m pretty much blind, what am I in for ?
Splatoon is legit one of the most creative and best designed shooters around with mechanics that look simple on the surface but in reality provide quite a bit of depth.

It's pure Nintendo.

August seems like the right time for a Testfire. Gives LAL and Xenoblade room to breath a little, and August seems pretty empty for the most part. Give people a little taste just before it launches.

August would be my bet, too. Splat Direct (or Twitter news drop) a couple weeks after Xenoblade followed by the Testfire the weekend thereafter.

But I typed "soon" because I want it sooner, damnit, no matter if I wouldn't know how to make time for it!

Looking back at the Turf War showcase, the animation for Brush weapons is different from the Roller weapons, so I guess it might spin off to its own class, but the weapon showcase tweet will need to confirm that first.

I have a feeling that the next tweet will be about gear abilities, because I don't think we even seen those until now.

Thank you for reading.

I can't believe Splatoon 3 is DOOMED already. They have nothing to show, the game is going to be exactly like Splatoon 2. I bet they'll even bring tenta missiles and ink armor back just to fill the gap in new specials! I think they'll port all the maps from Splatoon 2 over too, because why not? Lazy devs, lazy asset flip, iterative, low-budget sequel.

I have watched the turf war footage countless times but never actually noticed that one of the players is named VeronIKA. Ika means squid in japanese.

They also used this joke in September 2021 Direct. After introducing Splatoon 3, Koizumi asked viewers what they thought. In the original Japanese, Koizumi asked, いかがでしたか? (Ikaga deshita ka?), which is a polite way to ask, “How was it?” But when Koziumi asked, he put emphasis on ika, and ika can also mean “squid” in Japanese.

VeronIKA.png

I have watched the turf war footage countless times but never actually noticed that one of the players is named VeronIKA. Ika means squid in japanese.

They also used this joke in September 2021 Direct. After introducing Splatoon 3, Koizumi asked viewers what they thought. In the original Japanese, Koizumi asked, いかがでしたか? (Ikaga deshita ka?), which is a polite way to ask, “How was it?” But when Koziumi asked, he put emphasis on ika, and ika can also mean “squid” in Japanese.

VeronIKA.png

Don't forget my good friend TakoTruck! With Tako meaning Octopus
Screenshot_20220715-122321.jpg

If they make us wait until a week before launch to try the game I'm gonna be sad 😔
Not a chance imho, I was expecting testfire this month but if Direct is early August which it most certainly is then a testfire is a good way of "oh one more thing available now". I doubt it will be a actual Splatfest since month before is kinda early for Splatfest.

Not a chance imho, I was expecting testfire this month but if Direct is early August which it most certainly is then a testfire is a good way of "oh one more thing available now". I doubt it will be a actual Splatfest since month before is kinda early for Splatfest.
Yeah but to be fair, I don't think they'll do a testfire before a direct at this point, so depending on when the direct is the testfire could be prettyyyy close to launch

Yeah but to be fair, I don't think they'll do a testfire before a direct at this point, so depending on when the direct is the testfire could be prettyyyy close to launch
Makes sense but I somewhat expect a brand new trailer before the Direct. I don't know it seems like they will not just do a Twitter "news" for another 3 weeks. I also think that we should not be using Splatoon 2 Direct as a indication on when the Direct will be since Nintendo is now using about a month for a dedicated game Directs before launch and this will be no exception. There is no way they are waiting 2 weeks before launch to tell everyrhing about the game about which we don't have that much information. We had a more information about Splat2 at this point already with multiple gameplays of modes and singleplayer at E3 that year.

Makes sense but I somewhat expect a brand new trailer before the Direct. I don't know it seems like they will not just do a Twitter "news" for another 3 weeks. I also think that we should not be using Splatoon 2 Direct as a indication on when the Direct will be since Nintendo is now using about a month for a dedicated game Directs before launch and this will be no exception. There is no way they are waiting 2 weeks before launch to tell everyrhing about the game about which we don't have that much information. We had a more information about Splat2 at this point already with multiple gameplays of modes and singleplayer at E3 that year.
I'm also somewhat confused that there isn't another trailer, but at this point I'm losing hope and fully expecting twitter news until the direct tbh

I'm also somewhat confused that there isn't another trailer, but at this point I'm losing hope and fully expecting twitter news until the direct tbh
Anything is possible at this point, it was already weird to me that they only showed Salmon Run in February. OLED trailer was also a perfect spot for another trailer. It almost seems like they are really waiting for a full blowout. At this point it's kinda crazy that the last trailer was in April and the next one will probably be in early to mid August.

Anything is possible at this point, it was already weird to me that they only showed Salmon Run in February. OLED trailer was also a perfect spot for another trailer. It almost seems like they are really waiting for a full blowout. At this point it's kinda crazy that the last trailer was in April and the next one will probably be in early to mid August.
Yeah, it's wild that the biggest thing we've seen since the last trailer in April is probably the new maps or maybe Off the Hook returning as a normal band, which both aren't anything huge.

Yeah, it's wild that the biggest thing we've seen since the last trailer in April is probably the new maps or maybe Off the Hook returning as a normal band, which both aren't anything huge.
Still better than nothing at E3 2021 and then 7 seconds of new footage when OLED was announced imao. But I was kinda ok about not being it there that E3 since it was 2022 game, September21 delivered so it was fine.

what kind of info do we have about the single-player campaign?

-Octarians have been turned fuzzy, like they are mammals
-You have a little salmonid buddy who can eat the "mammal" goop
-Octavio will be there
-Squid sisters are there alongside Cuttlefish, who has transfered his title of Captain to the Agent 3 of Splatoon 1 (The player is the new Agent 3)
-There are more weapons available than past hero modes (we've seen sloshing machine and dapple dualies available)

There's more but that's the first things that come to mind

-Octarians have been turned fuzzy, like they are mammals
-You have a little salmonid buddy who can eat the "mammal" goop
-Octavio will be there
-Squid sisters are there alongside Cuttlefish, who has transfered his title of Captain to the Agent 3 of Splatoon 1 (The player is the new Agent 3)
-There are more weapons available than past hero modes (we've seen sloshing machine and dapple dualies available)

There's more but that's the first things that come to mind
thanks! any word/speculation about the length?

thanks! any word/speculation about the length?
Nope, but after the success of Octo Expansion I'm expecting a campaign that's about the same time to complete, maybe even longer if they really put focus on it

Edit: my current theory is that they'll have a regular campaign where you go through levels, and then octo expansion-like side levels where you can earn bonuses

Last edited:
Nope, but after the success of Octo Expansion I'm expecting a campaign that's about the same time to complete, maybe even longer if they really put focus on it

Edit: my current theory is that they'll have a regular campaign where you go through levels, and then octo expansion-like side levels where you can earn bonuses
thanks, I'll keep an eye on this matter because I suck on mp but I love the single-player content in Splatoon.

English name is Emberz.

On another note, all those smilies look familiar. They were all over the deep sea metro in Octo Expansion.

Seeing this tweet for a second time today (even with translation) made my fucking realize that I am fucking tired of brand news.

Yup. Besides the new brands at least giving us names, we already know all of them exist from gear they showed in previous screenshots.

So what’s the objective? The team whose paint covers the entirety of the map wins? I’m gonna strongly assume this game shines playing online. I could watch some
Videos on YouTube to get a better understanding because I’m clueless lol

So what’s the objective? The team whose paint covers the entirety of the map wins? I’m gonna strongly assume this game shines playing online. I could watch some

The objective of the main mode is: whoever has most of the map covered at the end of 3 minutes wins. However there's also ranked modes which are more traditional, like a payload type mode and a king of the hill type mode

The casual mode we'll all start with...

Turf War: Paint the map. Team with the most area covered in their color after 3 minutes wins. Walls don't count. I repeat - walls don't count. Obviously killing opponents helps win, as the time spend respawning is time not spend painting. But some weapons are so good at covering a lot of turf fast, they don't need to kill. Others need to kill them. In practice games often come down to whoever can get a wipe or partial wipe 30 seconds from end.

Ranked modes are unlocked after a while, if Splatoon 3 keeps the tradition of the previous two...

Splat Zone: Teams try to keep control of a marked area of the map for a certain amount of time to win. Control is gained by painting over the other team's color. This mode keeps the basic concept of Turf War and condenses it into a tinier space, making the mode more focused on taking out opponents before painting; at least if your weapon has worse ink consumption or less range than the other side who's able to paint over your color from a safe distance with greater efficency. Or, if you're more the not so aggressive type yourself, you pick one of those defensive shooters, too.

Tower Control: You ride a tower along a pre-set track into the other team's base to win. Painting doesn't factor into the win condition directly, but you'll still need to kill and paint key points of the map to gain control of the fight, for example around a choke point the tower may have to pass through. If no team has reached the other's base by the 5 minute mark (the timer for all ranked mode compared to Turf Wars 3 minutes), the team that came closest wins. But games don't end as long as at least one member of the currently losing team is still on the tower, which frequently leads to exciting last ditch pushes for those last decisive inches. Similar overtime nailbiters can happen in the other ranked modes, though never in Turf Wars which always end on time.

Rain Maker: You have to carry the rainmaker into the other team's base to win. The rainmaker is a weapon. Carrying it slows down the wielder, but in exchange they get to fire off huge nukes made of ink to clear a path. Due to the slow charge time, they still require heavy support from their teammates. Think of Rainmaker like a reverse Capture the Flag with a flag that snares the carrier but fires off mortar strikes. Painting the map is important here because Inklings, including the holder of the rainmaker, move faster through their own ink.

There was a fourth ranked mode in Splatoon 2, but I'm not sure it'll make a return. And we'll probably get at least one new mode in Splatoon 3 that hasn't been in the games before.

And on the PVE side, in addition to the story campaign...

Salmon Run: A horde mode which has you take on waves of enemies in co-operation with three other players. The goal here is to survive waves of enemies and bring a special kind of item dropped by the bigger, more dangerous mobs back to a stationary collecting spot. Enemies leave their own trail of ink, hindering players' movement while returning their cargo, so you can literally tell by the color of the ground when you're getting overwhelmed by the continuing flood of enemies.

Important to note that the ranked modes and Salmon Run are available on a set rotation in Splatoon and Splatoon 2, while Turf War can be played at all times. Although we haven't gotten confirmation one way or the other, as far as I know, this will likely not change in Splatoon 3.

Last edited:
Important to note that the ranked modes and Salmon Run are available on a set rotation in Splatoon and Splatoon 2, while Turf War can be played at all times. Although we haven't gotten confirmation one way or the other, as far as I know, this will likely not change in Splatoon 3.

God I hope it changes, as far as me and most of my friends go we all hate when we want to play the game but we don't like any of the rotations so we just... don't play. The Mario Kart 8 system (for the maps at least) seems perfect to me.

Maybe it's interesting, too, how the competitive community has broken down the roles in a Splatoon team. These won't be followed very rigidly in random ranked play, but different weapons still lean towards different playstyles and these terms are a decent frame to think about their individual strengths and weaknesses, and it'll give you a rough idea of the dynamics involved in a match.

Slayer: Plays closest to the enemy team. Most aggressive role. Also the one that requires the best twitch skills. They're tasked with killing, even at the expense of dying themselves. Trading 1:1 isn't desireable, but splatting two or three opponents before they die themselves is a good result. Slayers paint the least and are allowed to be passive for good portions of the fight, hiding submerged in ink until an enemy passes by - or "sharking" - for an ambush.

Support: Play behind the Slayer. Support with chip damage from bombs (a secondary weapon type in Splatoon) or by laying down suppression fire or by painting areas of the map so the slayer can move. And they're usually the first ones to push the objective, either getting on the tower or picking up the rainmaker or making sure the zone is topped off. Requires flexibility and quick thinking.

Anchor: Splatoon has a feature where Inklings are able to quick jump to allies. This allows them to almost instantly traverse the map and cut out time traveling from spawn back to the front after a death. And this is where anchors come in. Typically wielding the longest ranged weapons available, their primary responsibility is staying alive. In case their team overextends and gets wiped, they have to hold off the enemy as best as they can while still providing a safe landing spot for their respawning teammates to quickly get back into action. But Anchors can't stay too passive. They're still expected to support the Supports or slay enemies pressured by the Slayer. Requires strategic decision-making.

If the Slayer / Support / Anchor terminology is too much for you, just start to think of weapons in terms of short-range, mid-range and backline as far as how you want to pick your fights to have the best chance of winning.

I have kind of defended this game a lot. Saying that they probably have a lot to show.

But holy hell. They really haven't shown anything. Nothing but brands, and a few music tracks.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, since I thought about an E3 like direct in summer. But we are just about 2 months to release in the game, and we still really haven't seen why this game is a sequel instead of an expansion.

We really need a proper trailer or direct or something for this ASAP. Showing brands of clothing kind of tells me they truly have nothing to show(i think it would be a better idea to show nothing).

God I hope it changes, as far as me and most of my friends go we all hate when we want to play the game but we don't like any of the rotations so we just... don't play. The Mario Kart 8 system (for the maps at least) seems perfect to me.

I wouldn't like the Mario Kart solution. For one because my map taste doesn't necessarily line up with what's most popular and second because I'd hate to pick a weapon and then get tossed repeatedly into maps it's bad at.

But I'm open to other options to replace or at least loosen up the rotation restrictions, that wouldn't affect queue times while preserving weapon and map diversity.

I wouldn't like the Mario Kart solution. For one because my map taste doesn't necessarily line up with what's most popular and second because I'd hate to pick a weapon and then get tossed repeatedly into maps it's bad at.

But I'm open to other options to replace or at least loosen up the rotation restrictions, that wouldn't affect queue times while preserving weapon and map diversity.

In my ideal world, you'd have ranked mode rotations, and then pick the map Mario Kart style (which I think is fair, as it'd make popular maps more common without completely excluding people who have less popular favorites). After that you'd go into a screen similar to private battles, where you can see the map, mode and what weapons your teammates are choosing, and you can choose your own weapon and gear too. If disconnects weren't common I'd suggest making it a best of 3 as well, but I know that probably wouldn't work.

Alongside this there would then also be unrated, which would have less strict and faster matchmaking, maybe random map/mode and no visible rank. You would be able to queue into this mode with any number of players.

I know it's unrealistic but this is how it would work in my perfect world

Last edited:
I have kind of defended this game a lot. Saying that they probably have a lot to show.

But holy hell. They really haven't shown anything. Nothing but brands, and a few music tracks.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt, since I thought about an E3 like direct in summer. But we are just about 2 months to release in the game, and we still really haven't seen why this game is a sequel instead of an expansion.

We really need a proper trailer or direct or something for this ASAP. Showing brands of clothing kind of tells me they truly have nothing to show(i think it would be a better idea to show nothing).
I think they are quite late, but I doubt they have nothing left to show. At this point before release for Splatoon 2 we didn't have loads of info either, and the only real advantage we had was that there had already been an early testfire. Knowing Nintendo, there will be more to show, they're just keeping their cards close to their chest.

As an example: we didn't know about Off the Hook until just 2 weeks before launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom