• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angle Shooter is a whack name, though if it's on the Classic Squiffer I'll probably be using it a ton.

Killer Wail 5.1 is hilarious and totally on-brand tho, you take that back.

After witnessing the glory of Pearl's Killer Wail I don't know how anyone could see the bunch of discombobulated goop that is the 5.1 as anything but a bitter downgrade.

I'd rather have the Point Sensor back, but I'm glad the Splattershot Pro got a tracking kit (which I usually prefer).

The only was Nintendo will get my readies for this is if its got a really good 2player local game, needs to be able to be split screen and do exactly same as the multiplayer capturing territory.

looking at it in game, I think I'm inclined to agree with @Sheldon. that is a very unattractive visual effect, but I have hope that they'll tweak it for the final release

New-Killer-Wail-and-Bubbler-are-among-the-Splatoon-3-Special-Weapons-that-are-included.jpeg

That screenshot tries to make the Killer Wail 5.1 look cool, too. In game it looks like unused ARMS alpha assets glitching out.

I've gotten more furious at the Angle Shooter since SRB2Dude pointed out the thing you toss looks like a marker pen and COULDA EASILY BEEN CALLED A MARKER. And then I went and checked out the footage again and the marker is thrown backwards, with the non-marking side hitting walls and the opponent!

splat3angleshootermargzkjf.jpg

splat3angleshootermarlrjlo.jpg

splat3angleshootermar34j0i.jpg

That screenshot tries to make the Killer Wail 5.1 look cool, too. In game it looks like unused ARMS alpha assets glitching out.

I've gotten more furious at the Angle Shooter since SRB2Dude pointed out the thing you toss looks like a marker pen and COULDA EASILY BEEN CALLED A MARKER. And then I went and checked out the footage again and the marker is thrown backwards, with the non-marking side hitting walls and the opponent!

splat3angleshootermargzkjf.jpg

splat3angleshootermarlrjlo.jpg

splat3angleshootermar34j0i.jpg

It makes sense, the tip leaves behind a line.

Huh. I admittedly spaced out thinking too much of it since I caught the Japanese tweet first, but Angle Shooter is definitely a peculiar localization choice for something that natively read as Line Marker.

Honestly... this kinda scares me.

I don't just want a majority of the enemies to be reskinned octarians from past games. I'm getting really tired of octarians being the bad guys, just with a different type of corruption to justify them still being bad.

Honestly... this kinda scares me.

I don't just want a majority of the enemies to be reskinned octarians from past games. I'm getting really tired of octarians being the bad guys, just with a different type of corruption to justify them still being bad.
Expect the single player to be the same thing for a third time. Platforms floating in the sky with Octarians.

Then the good stuff as DLC.

Expect the single player to be the same thing for a third time. Platforms floating in the sky with Octarians.

Then the good stuff as DLC.
That would seem like a step backwards. There's quite a few shots from the Return of the Mammalians trailer that make me think this isn't going to play exactly like Octo Valley and Octo Canyon.

From a gameplay perspective, that's the reason, yes. In-universe it's no explanation why you wouldn't toss the weapon inky tip forwards at whatever you wish to hit and paint up.
360_F_212261073_8qX9Jv4RHT86M4STtV3pzzpw1vcQvq1u.jpg
Splatoon-3-Angle-Shooter.jpg

Cause it's easier to hold and toss/throw this way. Do we really need "lore" to justify this? :p

From a gameplay perspective, that's the reason, yes. In-universe it's no explanation why you wouldn't toss the weapon inky tip forwards at whatever you wish to hit and paint up.
The in-universe explanation is that Inklings are canonically stupid. They use things wrong all the time (see: Marie wearing a dog dish on her head and Callie wearing a scrub brush), and this is why my dream Splatoon spin off is a golfing game.

360_F_212261073_8qX9Jv4RHT86M4STtV3pzzpw1vcQvq1u.jpg
Splatoon-3-Angle-Shooter.jpg

Cause it's easier to hold and toss/throw this way. Do we really need "lore" to justify this? :p

One could perfectly throw the cone tip-forward from that grip. Yes, absolutely and without exception.

The in-universe explanation is that Inklings are canonically stupid. They use things wrong all the time (see: Marie wearing a dog dish on her head and Callie wearing a scrub brush), and this is why my dream Splatoon spin off is a golfing game.

Your own source deems this "Octarian propaganda".

You are equally categorically wrong about the dream Splatoon spin-off. It's a XCOM / Mario + Rabbids TBS.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing? It just means your rank and all that will likely be stored online rather than on your local save file.
Yup, it's pretty much this.

Also I'm not sure why this news is getting reported, we've known this since the release date reveal and it popped up on the eshop.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing? It just means your rank and all that will likely be stored online rather than on your local save file.
Nintendo games don’t usually do this though, so unless Splatoon 3 is the first if you lose your local data your rank will go too

The possible problem here is cloud save not saving your rank.
I'm not aware of the Switch having a mechanism that would allow for splitting the save data like that. If it's not in the cloud save, then it's likely not stored locally at all.

Rank was never going to be stored in a system that allows back ups and restores because it destroys the integrity of ranks. If ranks were able to be backed up, that would be a problem.

Nintendo games don’t usually do this though, so unless Splatoon 3 is the first if you lose your local data your rank will go too
Nintendo games also don't usually have strong anti-cheat measures, but Splatoon 2 does. Moving ranking server side would be in line with their efforts to reduce the impact hackers have had on the communiy.

On the flip side, storing ranks locally while allowing save data to be backed up without ranks would also be a first. There's not a game on the system that does anything like that.

I'm not aware of the Switch having a mechanism that would allow for splitting the save data like that. If it's not in the cloud save, then it's likely not stored locally at all.

Rank was never going to be stored in a system that allows back ups and restores because it destroys the integrity of ranks. If ranks were able to be backed up, that would be a problem.

Nintendo games also don't usually have strong anti-cheat measures, but Splatoon 2 does. Moving ranking server side would be in line with their efforts to reduce the impact hackers have had on the communiy.

On the flip side, storing ranks locally while allowing save data to be backed up without ranks would also be a first. There's not a game on the system that does anything like that.
There actually is a mechanism that could theoretically be used for splitting save data like that (shared save data), but that's not really what it's intended for, and I think your conclusion that ranks will be saved on the servers is probably correct.

That said, I think some sort of partial backup system is likely to exist eventually due to the likely intersection of Pokémon and NSO.

3 sounds way better than 2 already. It's so fucking good. It gives me nostalgic feelings of the first game, and I really love that.

Sounds pretty bad IMO, went too far with the vocals. The thought of hearing that while playing rainmaker with shitty teammates makes me want to die

Again, there better be a new rendition of Sucker Punch from 1 or else lol.
Yes!! I want more versions of Splatoon 1 (and maybe 2) songs like the Splattack remix in the reveal trailer.

Speaking of that remix, it'd be SO disappointing if it didn't actually make it into the game and was purely promotional.

100 days, are you fucking ready? Also can't wait for a new trailer in June Direct and hopefully more gameplay at Treehouse.

Someone maybe brought this up multiple times but I still don't think it's enough.
Seita Inoue who is Art Director for Splatoon 1,2,3 has a Instagram account on which he posts various arts, not just Splatoon related. And it's inkredible!

It's interesting to see how they go out of their way to use the word 'space'. Using 'place' or leaving it out entirely sounds more natural to me. I'm quite sure it's a hint that we're going to space, at least in single player. Hopefully also in some kind of multiplayer

Is the furry hair part of the new mammalian gimmick?

I'm not sure if adding bright pink lipstick to the rival octoling design at the same time as making them black was the smartest idea

Edit: and the fact that they're "rival" octolings. The bad guys. If all of the rival octolings are black that's kinda uh... yeah
I’m sorry, what’s the issue with bright pink lipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom