• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was really happy to see Slowpoke and Slowbro near the beginning of the trailer!

Character designs continue to impress. Great trailer, though it didn't quite sell me on the idea of there being "three stories", the ones next to the gyms seemed pretty simple in scope?

Last trailer didn't really get me excited, this one however intrigued me a bit. Autobattling with the evil team, Pokemon boss fights coming back, what looks like a decent overworld, for the first time it looks like there's actual meat to this game.

Dope trailer. Like the new mons and the chars.

That Auto-Battle feature sounded strange at first, but honestly, i can see myself using it a lot come late game where my team is prolly OHKO-ing most wild Pokemon to begin with.

Also they totally, TOTALLY knew when designing this Team Star (lame name) Fire Leader. That one is more fanart (of various types) fodder than the Isle of Sword one, the poison lady ... you know ... i forgot the name.

I really hope I'm wrong, but the more I see of these games, the less convinced I am they're going to be the drastic improvements on Sword/Shield that people think they are

Open world, doing the three "quest" lines like you want sound like massive improvements to the Pokemon gameplay core to me.

Gamefreak never misses with their pokemon and trainer designs, and that's pretty much all I want from a Pokemon game. I love all the new designs they showed here. This game is shaping up to be really good IMO. I'm excited!

God this trailer looks so good. Auto battling seems kinda cool, and the game emphasizing that you can go anywhere you want is just really enticing. Still easily my most anticipated game this year.
I'm shocked they still haven't shown the starter evos
Those are usually shown in October.

i'm convinced some of the people who do pokemon fan art are time travellers.

I mean, look at her design. I'm at a point where i think Gamefreak suits expect this and use it as some sort of gauge to see how popular a mon/char is.

E:

Also, look at her hair, i couldn't see wether her battle has more than one enemy Pokemon, but simply going by her hair she's going to fight you with a Fuecoco (or an evo of it) at one point.

Was there new pokemon revealed in today's trailer? I don't want to see any other new pokom designs, but I'd like to watch for the info

Gym Leaders using Pokémon not of their specialty type and then Terastalizing them is an interesting idea. Not sure if it's an improvement on them using monotype teams, though, unless they can choose not to Terastalize eg if you fight Sudowoodo with Fuecoco

Gym Leaders using Pokémon not of their specialty type and then Terastalizing them is an interesting idea. Not sure if it's an improvement on them using monotype teams, though, unless they can choose not to Terastalize eg if you fight Sudowoodo with Fuecoco
So That's means that sudowoodo can use both rock and grass type moves....which are super effective against fuecoco and quaxly....making sprigatito the most viable choice.

Armarouge and Ceruledge look neat. Seems like they invert the usual Scarlet : Violet :: past : present associations in these game. I'm guessing they'll be used by either Mela or the Fire-type Gym Leader.

Armarouge and Ceruledge look neat. Seems like they invert the usual Scarlet:Violet::past:present associations in these game. I'm guessing they'll be used by either Mela or the Fire-type Gym Leader.

Look at her hair, she's definitely having a Fuecoco (and/or its evolutions down the line).

So That's means that sudowoodo can use both rock and grass type moves....which are super effective against fuecoco and quaxly....making sprigatito the most viable choice.
But this is Pokémon, which means that you can just use any fire type Pokémon and one shot Sudowoodo after it becomes mono grass

Anger Shell looks like a very strong Ability, especially if it's on something that can also Shell Smash, but Klawf is probably not the best Pokémon to use it. Needs to be on something that can deal with priority.

Anger Shell looks like a very strong Ability, especially if it's on something that can also Shell Smash, but Klawf is probably not the best Pokémon to use it. Needs to be on something that can deal with priority.
Alas, the tradition of giving awesome abilities to Pokemon that cannot really use them competitively continues.

I love all those non-animal based pokémon. Feel more original. Both Armarouge and Ceruledge look sick as hell. Gonna buy booster packs until I pull EX versions of them.

Look at her hair, she's definitely having a Fuecoco (and/or its evolutions down the line).
Oh, that would be interesting. Typically they give rivals/friends the other starters, but it doesn't seem like Nemona uses one, so they might be given to the Team Star crews instead.

Oh, that would be interesting. Typically they give rivals/friends the other starters, but it doesn't seem like Nemona uses one, so they might be given to the Team Star crews instead.

Her design kinda makes me think of earlier games Pokemaniac enemies, you know those dressed (fully or some stuff) like Pokemon.

Just in a "Enemy Team Boss" version.

Wanted to come here hyping up the crab and sunflower pokemons but looked up that sunflora is not new...LOL. Only played the last 3 switch Pokemon games and didn't come across it.

Anyway, I'm excited for the game. Really the only thing that truly hurts these games now is the lack of voice acting.

Pokemon with a minimap, what a wonderful time to be alive.

That said, you can clearly see the amount of effort and good intentions in the game. Little changes like the let's go mode will help the game not only to be better at gameplay, but also to build an alive Pokémon world with creatures which seems truly alive. Being able to just explore and walk side by side with your Pokémon, who can also explore and find things on its own and not only follow you as a robot feels like a giant step to me in the franchise.

This game is shaping up to be the dream Pokémon game we all desired when we played red/blue and watched the anime so many years ago. And I'm also happy for game freak, they are really giving all considering we had Arceus a few months ago and it was truly fantastic. Even if the franchise have always been alive, this is the best moment to be a fan.

Sunflora is one of my favorite Pokemon of all time, in terms of design.

So happy to see underrated Gen 2 Pokemon get love, with this and New Pokemon Snap putting Meganium (my sweetie) front and center

auto-battling seems great and this game looks pretty nice graphically, surprisingly. gonna get me a sadboy megaman

A much better trailer than the last one. I'm getting the game regardless of what they show. I'm not exactly picky. Plus it won't be as poorly done as the BDSP games, that's for sure.

Anyone else kinda wish they'd... retire the 'villain team' concept? Not only has it been done to death, it also just feels forced and unnatural. I don't see anything so far that justifies their existence.

Mela has a cool design - but we didn't need a gang named 'Team Whatever' to be their entourage. It's just another of the things Pokemon has always done since forever that they really need to stop doing. (I swear, if this game starts with a forced 'how to catch a pokemon' tutorial I'm going to scream.)

I've liked some of the content in previous trailers but this is first the trailer I'd call great. Fun style, way more energy than the last few, and packed to the brim with content.

"Truleewoodo" is a great joke. I'm not sure if it'll be more than that, as tera typing them makes them just another mon of that gym leader's type, but the movepools or other attributes of those mons might make things interesting.

The Team Star enemy camps are timed missions where you have to KO all of their mons as each grunt throws them out at you, then it looks like some sort of 2v1 fight at the end against the boss (the website says that the "Starmobile" can fight/interfere with the battle). Each base will have a unique boss character? Game's gonna have a lot of unique characters. I also liked that the Torkoal is genuinely fighting on top of the car.

Titans basically look like alphas or totems. Titan Klawf seems to be designed around its new ability Anger Point? Seems like a safe bet that the titans have buffed HP like raids, which will make taking advantage of that ability (which drops its defenses to buff Atk/SpA/Spd) easier.

edit: Also, the champion tier character is an Indian woman. Unexpected, but cool.

Wanted to come here hyping up the crab and sunflower pokemons but looked up that sunflora is not new...LOL. Only played the last 3 switch Pokemon games and didn't come across it.

Anyway, I'm excited for the game. Really the only thing that truly hurts these games now is the lack of voice acting.
Sunflora is hella old. A gen 2 pokemon

Anyone else kinda wish they'd... retire the 'villain team' concept? Not only has it been done to death, it also just feels forced and unnatural. I don't see anything so far that justifies their existence.

Mela has a cool design - but we didn't need a gang named 'Team Whatever' to be their entourage. It's just another of the things Pokemon has always done since forever that they really need to stop doing. (I swear, if this game starts with a forced 'how to catch a pokemon' tutorial I'm going to scream.)
Only recently have the teams started getting good. Though team yell was underbaked. Team Star could be good if they followed through with them. Maybe they can ditch the naming pattern though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom