• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 20 9.1%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 31 14.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 24 10.9%

• Total voters
Personally, I have the feeling that Nintendo was set to launch their successor at the end of this year but postponed it after they caught wind of Microsoft planning to release more and more games on competitor's hardware (arguably admitting defeat in the hardware business) and SONY having no new first party game for this year too (it is a bit of a conspiracy-theory, I know...).

So Nintendo probably thought, let's get Switch 2 as right as we can and offer an exciting product, with an exciting stream of new games at and following launch - and enough stock to satisfy demand. Maybe even with a more fleshed out OS with useful and distinct features.

Competition is likely just not very tough this year. If the PS5 Pro exists...what game should sell it?
SONY will have to wait for GTA VI to do great bundles.

So, no rush to get a headstart with Switch 2 and Switch 1 will have another okay year in 2024, I think.
If we have another quality year like 2017 in 2025, Switch 2 will be off to a very good start.

So what you're saying is #fuck Microsoft and #fuck Sony for the delay of Switch 2.

I 'm mainly reffering to this post: https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...s-before-commenting.55/page-2538#post-1022691

It was a big factor. By 2012 the Wii branding was nearly dead. People who might have previously been interested in a Wii successor had long moved on.

Anticipation doesn't keep up forever, eventually people just stop waiting and move on to something else.
One easy way to disprove your argument; Compare the software and hardware sales of the Wii in its last year to Switch software and hardware sales this year. Switch sales are declining but its irrefutable that it has a far larger user base today than the Wii had before the release of the Wii U. Just look at the amount of software Nintendo is still selling for the Switch.

Sure it would be better if Switch 2 came this year, but the Switch 2 will still release when the Switch has much more momentum than the Wii had before the Wii U came out.

Interested in seeing what happens if the reports of gta6 releasing q1 2025 are true and isn't coming to Switch 2 would have any negative effects on the switch 2 launch if there release close to each other.
How big is the overlap between people who are hardcore into Nintendo consoles and hardcore into GTA? GTA has almost never been on a Nintendo system, so its a non factor of how well or bad a Nintendo system does. GTA gets people buying Playstation in droves and that is mostly its function when it comes to console sales.

Those that buy the Switch 2 year 1 will mostly be the most hardcore Nintendo gamers who love playing Super Mario games.

Do we have reputable numbers on how many PS5s and Xbox Series X/S' were produced ahead of launch?

I think I read in some Reddit comment thread how Nintendo was prepping to have 20 million available at launch to avoid shortage issues?

The only numbers I could find were for PS5 from a deleted member's comment on Reddit,

Reports say from launch to the end of their fiscal year (March 2021) Sony is planning to complete manufacture of around 15 million units.

The PS4 was only 7 million or so in that timeframe. So even tho the demand is way worse than the PS4, they ARE actually trying to get as many out as possible.

So, 20 million and if this still has the misfortune to launch in late Autumn, then we're still looking at shortages regardless. Maybe not as widespread, but still pretty poor odds for the average Joe to get one without fighting scalpers.

I just don't want a calendar Q4 launch for this thing; I can be as patient as needed if it's another March release.

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party software isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 games) then they have no business being a platform holder.

"Smooth Transition" fucking bullshit. They are setting themselves up for another 3DS (or maybe even WiiU) fuck-up at this rate.
Are the finished third party games in the room with us now?

I'd honestly expect we're going to hear of the final name of the console when... it's actually revealed. I imagine the most we're going to hear is "We are almost ready to unveil our New Untitled Successor To The Nintendo Switch" and that's about it until we get a trailer. There's no point distributing a codename, exactly because of the reasons you mentioned. The NX was a weird situation, one that likely won't be repeated.

My guesses are we'll either get Nintendo saying "We are planning on revealing the Nintendo [CONSOLE FINAL NAME HERE] this year" or "Look out for our upcoming next generation system". I don't expect many other things outside of those two.
I don't even know why they'd go that far. I kind of expect the progression to be:
1. Factory leak with photos
2. In two days come see the direct about the next big thing from Nintendo
3. Big trailer reminiscent of the October Switch trailer.

All of this about 6 months before launch. Possibly closer and possibly without the leak. Insert whatever presentations or whatever between trailer and launch.

I don't even know why they'd go that far. I kind of expect the progression to be:
1. Factory leak with photos
2. In two days come see the direct about the next big thing from Nintendo
3. Big trailer reminiscent of the October Switch trailer.

All of this about 6 months before launch. Possibly closer and possibly without the leak. Insert whatever presentations or whatever between trailer and launch.
Nintendo need to be vague as possible, to not massively impact Switch sales, anounce it next console in the most vague way ever, Nintendo [codename) will launch in q1 2025 and that all, 7/10 months of silence and then drop a trailer showing the console,more silence and then launch the console.

Nintendo listed Princess Peach Showtime as Princess Peach Will Star as the Protagonist of an Upcoming Game on their financial forecast sheet. They’re absolutely not beyond just revealing this as “Our next hardware”.

Nintendo need to be vague as possible, to not massively impact Switch sales, anounce it next console in the most vague way ever, Nintendo [codename) will launch in q1 2025 and that all, 7/10 months of silence and then drop a trailer showing the console,more silence and then launch the console.
Thinking about declining sales this year seems unnessecary, the lack of new software launching this year will solve that problem for Nintendo in any case.

Makes it less reliable then, dude. If two different 3rd party publishers are saying two different things when the message from corporate Nintendo should be clear as day regarding the delay. There's no way this communication is not in writing. Nintendo isn't providing this info by word-of-mouth only lol. Makes for an inconsistent rumor, dude.

;)

To makes things clear, I think the March 2025 thing is real but all the other details are up in the air/word-of-mouth/lies.
For all we know Nintendo might not reveal this thing until September.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the actual delay part turns out to be fake as well but lots of places are corroborating. It just the other details about April general direct and indie direct in march that makes no sense to come along with this info.
I think you were so busy making fun of how I speak that you missed the point of what I was saying.

Let me try again.

Why do you think that the talk about when a direct is and the talk about a hardware delay are contradictory?

I'm saying: Switch One Devs are hearing about a change to Nintendo's marketing schedule for the year, because that's what they need to know.

Switch Two Devs have heard about a change to the systems release scheduling, because that's what they need to know.

Insiders have heard about those two things from different places.

I don't understand what about this you think is inconsistent.

Thinking about declining sales this year seems unnessecary, the lack of new software launching this year will solve that problem for Nintendo in any case.
we are still in february, Nintendo entire line up for this year is still unknown, so we lock 2024 is gonna be a bad year for Nintendo

Uploaded this video to show you guys one of the reasons I don't really use my Switch and hope the Switch 2 has better vent(s).

This is the launch model (well, bought it 2-3 months after launch) and nothing is launched on this.

Hopefully my Switch doesn't take off and leaves me before the Switch 2 is out, but who knows.

sorry to say your Switch isn't coming back with the milk

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party milk isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 groceries) then they have no business being a shopper.

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party milk isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 groceries) then they have no business being a shopper.
no i was making a joke about how dads leave their families behind under the guise of "buying milk"

Do we have reputable numbers on how many PS5s and Xbox Series X/S' were produced ahead of launch?

I think I read in some Reddit comment thread how Nintendo was prepping to have 20 million available at launch to avoid shortage issues?

The only numbers I could find were for PS5 from a deleted member's comment on Reddit,

So, 20 million and if this still has the misfortune to launch in late Autumn, then we're still looking at shortages regardless. Maybe not as widespread, but still pretty poor odds for the average Joe to get one without fighting scalpers.

I just don't want a calendar Q4 launch for this thing; I can be as patient as needed if it's another March release.
I can't say how many were produced, but nothing has had a bigger first quarter shipment number than the 4.5 million of both PS4 and PS5. 20 million would be absolutely ridiculous, and more than any gaming hardware has shipped in its first calendar year.

Uploaded this video to show you guys one of the reasons I don't really use my Switch and hope the Switch 2 has better vent(s).

This is the launch model (well, bought it 2-3 months after launch) and nothing is launched on this.

Hopefully my Switch doesn't take off and leaves me before the Switch 2 is out, but who knows.

common issue with launch Switches. mine did the same thing it's a sign the fan is broken/failing and you'll eventually start getting overheating shut-downs. options are to DIY replace the fan or resell it and buy a V2/OLED. good news if it's unpatched you'll get good money on the resale market, almost enough for a brand new v2 tablet.

I can't say how many were produced, but nothing has had a bigger first quarter shipment number than the 4.5 million of both PS4 and PS5. 20 million would be absolutely ridiculous, and more than any gaming hardware has shipped in its first calendar year.
I'm guessing the 20 million would be to expect over the course of one year from launch, but yeah even 5 million for the first 3 months after launch seems more than a tad optimistic to have available

After catching up on the latest(?) rumor infos i'm getting more and more confused about all this.

HW production having such big problems at this stage already? What? Or Nintendo "self-dooming" that it might have?
Nintendo fumbling game dev so hard that there's not even a guarantee that they have something ready for March 2025 and the launch window?
The delay possibly being a rushed situation, thirds being informed just within the last two weeks?

Something simply doesn't add up.

Don't know if he's up for hardware info/rumors, but at this point i'd want Pyoro to just answer "No" to a "Switch 2 in 2025" tweet...

After catching up on the latest(?) rumor infos i'm getting more and more confused about all this.

HW production having such big problems at this stage already? What? Or Nintendo "self-dooming" that it might have?
Nintendo fumbling game dev so hard that there's not even a guarantee that they have something ready for March 2025 and the launch window?
The delay possibly being a rushed situation, thirds being informed just within the last two weeks?

Something simply doesn't add up.

Don't know if he's up for hardware info/rumors, but at this point i'd want Pyoro to just answer "No" to a "Switch 2 in 2025" tweet...
You mean „Delete your account!“.

It's not Nintendo's fault that people only buy Nintendo hardware due to Nintendo titles. That is because historically those third parties have only cared about Playstation and Xbox, meaning that they can't move Nintendo hardware, they can only make people buy a Playstation.

Meaning if Nintendo launches Switch 2 with only third party games, it would crash and burn.
And that's historically cause Nintendo was bad in keeping good relations and listening to partners (SNES -> N64) and then making it harder to develop for for multi plat (Wii).
It takes more then 1 good gen to get the goodwill of people that they for sure will get their titles, while it's more or less sure for Xbox/ps5 including their first party output that's also more in line with third party big budget games in terms of aesthetics and so.

It takes time to build that, and Devs know that Nintendo's prio is first party and some Japanese third party Devs, when it's about their hardware/platform, so third parties try not to rely too much on Nintendo.

Japanese Devs are still mixed/more open to full Nintendo support since the handheld market is still the primary gaming factor.

All I wanted since switch launched was a COD for Nintendo. Thought this would be the year that it happened. Unless they were working on a remaster for switch I'm not getting it.

So no mainline Pokémon titles this year. That’s very odd. They tend to have third versions or remakes in Q4 each year between generations.
If this is the first evidence we have that they are giving their games more time in the oven to ensure a certain level of technical quality that isn't a buggy mess, I will be cautiously optimistic for PLZ in 2025 and Gen 10 in 2026

Assuming the Switch 2 is launching in March 2023, I'm now thinking the launch year will be:
  • 3D Mario (March)
  • 2D Zelda remake/original from Grezzo (May)
  • Animal Crossing (July)
  • Mario Kart (October)
  • Pokemon Legends ZA (November, and yes I'm betting on it being cross-gen)
Plus a couple of smaller titles to fill in gaps, something like Metroid 6, a new Yoshi game, a Kirby remaster, or experimental titles. This would match what Nintendo had in 2017.

I was on board with an early Animal Crossing as well but now I think Nintendo will try to repeat the huge social media involvement of the community, which increases word of mouth (capturing the zeitgeist, so to say - although I am doubtful that the crazyness during the pandemic can be repeated)
For this they have to have a bigger install base than what will be accomplished in July.^^

Evergreens like 3D Mario, Zelda or even Mario Kart are a bit different in that regard and should work much better early in the life cycle.

I was on board with an early Animal Crossing as well but now I think Nintendo will try to repeat the huge social media involvement of the community, which increases word of mouth (capturing the zeitgeist, so to say - although I am doubtful that the crazyness during the pandemic can be repeated)
For this they have to have a bigger install base than what will be accomplished in July.^^

Evergreens like 3D Mario, Zelda or even Mario Kart are a bit different in that regard and should work much better early in the life cycle.
Couldn't that also help sell a system though? If Nintendo did delay the system for better launch year games, an Animal Crossing game would definitely help. Nintendo doesnt have a lot of other big games that could be ready in time.

Nintendo is going to release another pandemic on the world so everyone will stay inside and play the new Animal Crossing.

It would be so cool if Nintendo were able to secure a GTA 6 port running at even upscaled 1080p 30 with some decent lighting. I think that would set the tone for this next generation so nicely. I have to imagine they've at least tried contacting take two about it. I am 99% sure it isn't happening but wouldn't it be the best powerplay to have GTA right next to mario at launch? I hope we live in that 1% reality.

While pretty unlikely, the idea of; 3D Mario, New IP, Elden Ring port, MH Wilds, Mario Kart X, Ultimate Deluxe, Pokemon Legends Za 🍃 and GTA 6 all releasing within a Launch year window for a new console would be such a dream. I think there is PS2 potential levels of success if they can pull that off. Developers would be porting and making new titles in a frenzy.

I think I've entered insane person territory but idc. The idea that I could have all those games on my home menu and take them on the go is so soothing to my brain

What games would you want to see for the system? I have a bunch.
Metaphor Re Fantazio
Persona 3 Reload
Elden Ring + DLC but with zelda excl stuff similar to skyrim
Genshin Impact
Zenless Zone Zero
Honkai Star Rail
EA FC 24/25
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (all)
Kingdom Hearts Collection for real tho :/
Kingdom Hearts 4
Nier Replicant
Dragon Quest 12
Rivals of Aether 2
Metroid Prime 4
Resident Evil Series
Final Fantasy 16
Final Fantasy 15
Final Fantasy 14
Armoured Core 6
Devil May Cry series(all the ones that aren't on switch)/new game
Skate 4
GenDesign game
Jusant
No rest for the wicked
Monster hunter wilds
Gta 6
light no fire
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter 6 (Super or Ultra or whichever new version is out if any)
Project L
Tekken 8
Jet Set Radio
Black Myth Wukong
Sword of the sea
Yellow Brick Games new ARPG
Smash Ultimate DX
Persona 6
Final Fantasy 9 Remake
Nier Game/ Yoko New IP
Monolith New IP
Mario Kart X
3D Mario
Zelda Ports
OoT + MM Remake
Animal Crossing
Something Kid Icarus

Last edited:
Couldn't that also help sell a system though? If Nintendo did delay the system for better launch year games, an Animal Crossing game would definitely help. Nintendo doesnt have a lot of other big games that could be ready in time.
Sure, it would help. But I would guess that other titles can do that too in the first few months. But we will see.
Personally I would like an AC early in the cycle with a good support over years...

Nintendo is going to release another pandemic on the world so everyone will stay inside and play the new Animal Crossing.
Their power is limitless. 😬

Assuming the Switch 2 is launching in March 2023, I'm now thinking the launch year will be:
  • 3D Mario (March)
  • Animal Crossing (July)
  • Mario Kart (October)
Plus a couple of smaller titles to fill in gaps, something like Metroid 6, a new Yoshi game, a Kirby remaster, or experimental titles. This would match what Nintendo had in 2017.
Those aren't small titles lmao.

My guess would be:

-Pokémon Legends Z-A (March 3rd)
-1-2 Switch 2 (March 3rd)
-Mario Kart Crossroads (May 20th)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (July 12th)
-Super Mario Galaxy 3 (September 13th, IT'S HAPPENING NOW)
-Animal Crossing: Neverending Tales (November 27th)

My guess as to why we won't see Legends Z-A for a long time is because they want to make a good first impression by showing first the Nintendo Switch 2 version/the Switch 1 version could be a much inferior version, with the map being separated by loading screens, low quality textures, low-res, etc.

It would be so cool if Nintendo were able to secure a GTA 6 port running at even upscaled 1080p 30 with some decent lighting. I think that would set the tone for this next generation so nicely. I have to imagine they've at least tried contacting take two about it. I am 99% sure it isn't happening but wouldn't it be the best powerplay to have GTA right next to mario at launch? I hope we live in that 1% reality.
It would literally be the biggest possible move Nintendo could make.

So big that they wouldn't even need other 1st party games. The console would sell out just for GTA VI alone.

I think any amount of stock preparation would be worthless for a 4-month launch window with a new 3D Mario/Mario Kart, a new Open-World Pokémon and freaking GTA VI, on the same system.

While pretty unlikely, the idea of; 3D Mario, New IP, Elden Ring port, MH Wilds, Mario Kart X, Ultimate Deluxe, Pokemon Legends Zaza 🍃 and GTA 6 all releasing within a Launch year window for a new console would be such a dream. I think there is PS2 potential levels of success if they can pull that off. Developers would be porting and making new titles in a frenzy.

I think I've entered insane person territory but idc. The idea that I could have all those games on my home menu and take them on the go is so soothing to my brain

What games would you want to see for the system? I have a bunch.
Metaphor Re Fantazio
Persona 3 Reload
Elden Ring + DLC but with zelda excl stuff similar to skyrim
Genshin Impact
Zenless Zone Zero
Honkai Star Rail
EA FC 24/25
Final Fantasy 7 Remake (all)
Kingdom Hearts Collection for real tho :/
Kingdom Hearts 4
Nier Replicant
Dragon Quest 12
Rivals of Aether 2
Metroid Prime 4
Resident Evil Series
Final Fantasy 16
Final Fantasy 15
Final Fantasy 14
Armoured Core 6
Devil May Cry series(all the ones that aren't on switch)/new game
Skate 4
GenDesign game
Jusant
No rest for the wicked
Monster hunter wilds
Gta 6
light no fire
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter 6 (Super or Ultra or whichever new version is out if any)
Project L
Tekken 8
Jet Set Radio
Black Myth Wukong
Sword of the sea
Yellow Brick Games new ARPG
Smash Ultimate DX
Persona 6
Final Fantasy 9 Remake
Nier Game/ Yoko New IP
Monolith New IP
Mario Kart X
3D Mario
Zelda Ports
OoT + MM Remake
Animal Crossing
Something Kid Icarus
Good luck.

Those aren't small titles lmao.

My guess would be:

-Pokémon Legends Z-A (March 3rd)
-1-2 Switch 2 (March 3rd)
-Mario Kart Crossroads (May 20th)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (July 12th)
-Super Mario Galaxy 3 (September 13th, IT'S HAPPENING NOW)
-Animal Crossing: Neverending Tales (November 27th)

My guess as to why we won't see Legends Z-A for a long time is because they want to make a good first impression by showing first the Nintendo Switch 2 version/the Switch 1 version could be a much inferior version, with the map being separated by loading screens, low quality textures, low-res, etc.
I said smallER, not small lol

• 3D Mario (March)
  • Animal Crossing (July)
  • Mario Kart (October)
We’ll have something every month. How about, as games coming in the first year, all spun out of my tired brain before going to sleep-
  • 3D Mario & the traditional tech demo compilation party game for launch, possibly with something else multi-player focused
  • A shiny, hyped-up Deluxe version of a Switch game (Zelda or Smash Ultimate feel most likely) in April
  • Luigi’s Mansion 4, with the best graphics anyone has ever seen in June
  • Fire Emblem, likely a remake in a smaller slot
  • 3D Zelda remake as a big second launch for the system
  • Mario Kart is the big winter game, used in every advert everywhere
  • A Pokémon spin-off early doors
  • 2D Metroid announced early on, but only released in 2026
  • Ring Fit Adventure 2! It’s surprisingly huge!
  • Kirby and the Fantastic Hat launches early 2026
  • An upgraded version of a Switch Pokémon- Possibly Scarlet/Violet, possibly ZA.
  • Mario Party Big Fun
  • A N Other Mario Sports game. I remain hopeful they do a new one sold as ‘Like Football’ in America, but ‘Like rugby’ in Japan/Europe, very much inspired by how big rugby is in Japan now
  • Punch Out!! Using a new gimmick for the system early on. Why not.
  • Also Elite Beat Agents 2, because at this point I’m just doing wish fulfilment

Launch:

3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon Legends
Ridge Racer 8 exclusive

Holidays 2025:

Mario Kart X
BOTW/TOTK Deluxe

also GTA6 day 1, whenever that is.

not sure about the stuff inbetween, maybe some 2D Zelda?

It would literally be the biggest possible move Nintendo could make.

So big that they wouldn't even need other 1st party games. The console would sell out just for GTA VI alone.
Nah they'd need 3D mario for their core audience just to satisfy variety but it would for real be the greatest move ever for a console launch. Legendary.

Nah they'd need 3D mario for their core audience just to satisfy variety but it would for real be the greatest move ever for a console launch. Legendary.
They wouldn't even need 3D Mario.

Obviously they'll have it, but the power of GTA VI can't be understated. At worse, it will become the second best selling game ever made.

The hype from that alone will clean out every warehouse of stockpiled Switch 2 units.

I believe this will be pretty dry year game wise. Based on history the year before a console launch is not an exciting one. I guess we will see.

I believe this will be pretty dry year game wise. Based on history the year before a console launch is not an exciting one. I guess we will see.
I kinda hope not. I know that's the precedent, but I had hoped the momentum would carry on into the Switch 2.

Without a Pokemon release tho I'm stumped for what they could have.

I kinda hope not. I know that's the precedent, but I had hoped the momentum would carry on into the Switch 2.

Without a Pokemon release tho I'm stumped for what they could have.

Assuming the delay is real (again, let me keep this hope), and if you were to believe the OG source, Nintendo won't release a "big" game on Switch anymore.

And even if we assume Metroid Prime 4 releases this year, while it's an anticipated game, it's not on the "can carry a system" level like Mario, Zelda or Pokemon would be.

I think the reality of no new mainline Pokemon game in 2024 was the most "dire" news for Nintendo.

Assuming the delay is real (again, let me keep this hope), and if you were to believe the OG source, Nintendo won't release a "big" game on Switch anymore.

And even if we assume Metroid Prime 4 releases this year, while it's an anticipated game, it's not on the "can carry a system" level like Mario, Zelda or Pokemon would be.

I think the reality of no new mainline Pokemon game in 2024 was the most "dire" news for Nintendo.
So you are saying the most played game this year‘ll be Pokémon sleep? 😴

Wake me up when Switch 2 gets revealed.

They wouldn't even need 3D Mario.

Obviously they'll have it, but the power of GTA VI can't be understated. At worse, it will become the second best selling game ever made.

The hype from that alone will clean out every warehouse of stockpiled Switch 2 units.
It's optics. Brand equity is important. If Nintendo fans aren't getting their nintendo games the brand image of that console will shift too far away from nintendo's general appeal which could be harmful down the line. It isn't just about sales, they gotta make a launch like this so sweet if they even hope to upstage the switch. Especially in this economy

We already know that "no more big games on Switch" is wrong (again) as Legends Z was just announced yesterday for 2025. Legends Arceus is over 14 million copies, odds are Legends Z will >10 million as well.

"But Legends Z could be cross gen"

It can also be playable via bc on the successor, or it could launch before the successor does. Either way it's another big Switch 1 game.

Back
Top Bottom