• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
I much rather have a Ocarina of Time Remake on Switch 2 then one on Switch.

So hopefully Nintendo waits.
It would make total sense. They'll want a big technical showcase game, what better than Zelda, too soon for a new game, and which remake will get people most hyped? The logic of a remake for Switch makes no sense, the logic for Switch 2 seems perfect.

If it does launch early next year, releasing this early but not launch whilst waiting to put Mario Kart out at Christmas feels solid.

updated secret Switch 2 games:
  • Monster Hunter Wilds
  • Visions of Mana
  • Grand Theft Auto VI
  • Smite 2
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 4
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Gothic 1 Remake
  • Remnant 2
  • Titan Quest 2
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II
  • John Carpenter's Toxic Commando
  • Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Dragon Ball Sparking Zero
  • World of Goo 2
  • Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion
  • Rune Factory 6
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Dragon Quest III HD2D Remake
  • Dragon's Dogma II
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Far Cry 7
  • Assassin's Creed Project Red
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gulf War
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Untitled Jet Set Radio project
  • Untitled Crazy Taxi project
  • Untitled Golden Axe project
  • Streets of Rage Revolution
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Topspin 2K25
  • Untitled Sakura Wars project
  • Untitled Sega Evangelion project
  • Untitled Panzer Dragoon project
  • Battlefield Next
  • Spyro the Dragon Next
I'll take COD, battlefield, far cry, and street fighter from this list.

updated secret Switch 2 games:
  • Monster Hunter Wilds
  • Visions of Mana
  • Grand Theft Auto VI
  • Smite 2
  • Professor Layton and the New World of Steam
  • Star Wars Outlaws
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 4
  • Alone in the Dark
  • Gothic 1 Remake
  • Remnant 2
  • Titan Quest 2
  • Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
  • Warhammer 40K: Space Marine II
  • John Carpenter's Toxic Commando
  • Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition
  • Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
  • Dragon Ball Sparking Zero
  • World of Goo 2
  • Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion
  • Rune Factory 6
  • Metaphor: ReFantazio
  • Dragon Quest III HD2D Remake
  • Dragon's Dogma II
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Far Cry 7
  • Assassin's Creed Project Red
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Gulf War
  • Baldur's Gate III
  • Untitled Jet Set Radio project
  • Untitled Crazy Taxi project
  • Untitled Golden Axe project
  • Streets of Rage Revolution
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Sea of Thieves
  • Topspin 2K25
  • Untitled Sakura Wars project
  • Untitled Sega Evangelion project
  • Untitled Panzer Dragoon project
  • Battlefield Next
  • Spyro the Dragon Next
I could see Alan Wake 2 and Control becoming playable.

The Gaming Leaks and Rumours subreddit just got the most random post about apparently Shrek 2 from the GameCube/Xbox getting a remaster; This is the rumour I hope to god isn't fake because holy hell I love playing that game with my family and it would be so awesome to see it remastered/remade.

The Gaming Leaks and Rumours subreddit just got the most random post about apparently Shrek 2 from the GameCube/Xbox getting a remaster; This is the rumour I hope to god isn't fake because holy hell I love playing that game with my family and it would be so awesome to see it remastered/remade.
LOL I have fond memories of that.

dunno if it was good for real tho.

If that rumor ends up being fake, it'll truly be ogre for you.

I want to make sure I'm on the right page with this insider info that has changed 3 times now:

Part 0: March Reveal... 2024 Release
Part 1: March Reveal. June Blowout. 2025 Release
Part 2: March Tease. April Direct. June Blowout. 2025 Release
Part 3: April Direct. June TEASE. 2025 Release. (current status of rumor)

I have no clue why it has been changed so many times. Can't they just relay what they heard correctly the first time?

Shrug

I have no clue why it has been changed so many times. Can't they just relay what they heard correctly the first time?
probably because they are assuming based on incomplete information. the likely option is that their sources think it'll be revealed/released based on what is asked of them. as oldpuck put together, no one dev has all the information. and those that do are paid too much to leak shit

probably because they are assuming based on incomplete information. the likely option is that their sources think it'll be revealed/released based on what is asked of them. as oldpuck put together, no one dev has all the information. and those that do are paid too much to leak shit
Then that suggests it's a BS rumor. Why go out of the way to say "April General Direct"? It has nothing to do with the scope of things you should know (Switch 2's reveal and launch for your game you are developing for it). I don't believe this anymore.

If the only thing you know is "Switch 2 was delayed till 2025" then just say that. Don't add a ton of fake details to it.

Something that we might see in a possible later direct/presentation is this:

Its very likely what ever they talk about is not this year (hence no reason to be in the partner). Plus I assume Claytechworks is on it, and after BD2 they haven't done any major, they did some work with Live a Live, but it was mostly Historia.

I want to make sure I'm on the right page with this insider info that has changed 3 times now:

Part 0: March Reveal... 2024 Release
Part 1: March Reveal. June Blowout. 2025 Release
Part 2: March Tease. April Direct. June Blowout. 2025 Release
Part 3: April Direct. June TEASE. 2025 Release. (current status of rumor)

Shrug

Frankly part 1 and 2 are basically the same thing. April Direct wouldnt be related to Switch 2.

And part 3 is the natural evolution of things after word got out the launch is pushed into 2025.

They’re not going to start mass production a year before launch so March reveal was already endangered the instant the launch was pushed into 2025

I would hardly call this changing stories

Omg Shrek 2 with online play would actually be dope lmao.

It was weirdly a really good game.

Frankly part 1 and 2 are basically the same thing. April Direct wouldnt be related to Switch 2.

And part 3 is the natural evolution of things after word got out the launch is pushed into 2025.

They’re not going to start mass production a year before launch so March reveal was already endangered the instant the launch was pushed into 2025

I would hardly call this changing stories
I feel like there are points that I'm trying to question but nobody gets what I'm saying.

Info in question: April General Direct

Is there a world/timeline where Nintendo corporate would tell 3rd party publishers and developers the timeline for their general April direct unrelated to the Switch 2 reveal? Is this a thing that they actually do?

I feel like there are points that I'm trying to question but nobody gets what I'm saying.

Info in question: April General Direct

Is there a world/timeline where Nintendo corporate would tell 3rd party publishers and developers the timeline for their general April direct unrelated to the Switch 2 reveal? Is this a thing that they actually do?
If they have a marketing deal to announce a title in one? Absolutely a 3rd party is going to know when their game is gonna be announced by Nintendo.

If they have a marketing deal to announce a title in one? Absolutely a 3rd party is going to know when their game is gonna be announced by Nintendo.
The thing is these are supposedly publishers/developers making games for Switch 2 that were told of the Switch 2 delay and the Switch 2 reveal to be in June. I'm not so sure what an April General Direct (likely switch only focused, otherwise it would conflict with the other information) has to do with them.

April General Direct (Switch Only) comes prior to Switch 2 June Teaser.

So it would be unrelated to their projects for Switch 2.

The thing is these are supposedly publishers/developers making games for Switch 2 that were told of the Switch 2 delay and the Switch 2 reveal to be in June. I'm not so sure what an April General Direct (likely switch only focused otherwise it would conflict with the other information) has to do with them.
Because they have games being announced for Switch 1 as well? This really isn't that hard of a concept.

Because they have games being announced for Switch 1 as well? This really isn't that hard of a concept.
I suppose if the stars align for every single aspect then it could make sense. Either way, they additionally moved the goalpost once already.

We shall find out in April and June ;)

How likely would it be that we might get the codename of the switch 2 in march, because NX i think was announce or leaked in 2015-1016.
I think march might be a strange month because of CDG and we might finally hear the specs from developer who're working on ports.

Also do we have any information of how the docked on the switch 2 will work because that's excites me and intrigued me the most. Also is there a chance of native 1440p and upscaled 4k
(1440p for less demanding games)

How likely would it be that we might get the codename of the switch 2 in march, because NX i think was announce or leaked in 2015-1016.
I think march might be a strange month because of CDG and we might finally hear the specs from developer who're working on ports.

Also do we have any information of how the docked on the switch 2 will work because that's excites me and intrigued me the most. Also is there a chance of native 1440p and upscaled 4k
Maybe, but more than likely the final or near final product name will be announced instead of the code name

The NX reveal was a unique situaiton, not the rule. It was announced in 2015 right when Nintendo had likely committed to using the X1 but still too early to finalize a product, and it was only announced that early because Nintendo had decided to do some mobile games but Iwata wanted to send a signal they were staying in the console business. All they had to announce was the code name at the time.

Maybe, but more than likely the final or near final product name will be announced instead of the code name

The NX reveal was a unique situaiton, not the rule. It was announced in 2015 right when Nintendo had likely committed to using the X1 but still too early to finalize a product, and it was only announced that early because Nintendo had decided to do some mobile games but Iwata wanted to send a signal they were staying in the console business. All they had to announce was the code name at the time.
I'd honestly expect we're going to hear of the final name of the console when... it's actually revealed. I imagine the most we're going to hear is "We are almost ready to unveil our New Untitled Successor To The Nintendo Switch" and that's about it until we get a trailer. There's no point distributing a codename, exactly because of the reasons you mentioned. The NX was a weird situation, one that likely won't be repeated.

My guesses are we'll either get Nintendo saying "We are planning on revealing the Nintendo [CONSOLE FINAL NAME HERE] this year" or "Look out for our upcoming next generation system". I don't expect many other things outside of those two.

I feel like if the console is revealed in June, it would have a similar marketing cycle to the Switch, with a reveal in June with an E3 direct detailing the console, price, and games, and a release in November. But I could see a codename drop in March.

what if during the may shareholders/fiscal report reveal Switch sucessor codename, and then in 2025(january maybe?), a trailer for the console is shown

The thing is these are supposedly publishers/developers making games for Switch 2 that were told of the Switch 2 delay and the Switch 2 reveal to be in June. I'm not so sure what an April General Direct (likely switch only focused, otherwise it would conflict with the other information) has to do with them.
Journalists have multiple sources dude. Seems like you're imagining that they're speaking to one guy, Switch 2 Dave, who tells them everything they report. But actually, maybe they had a conversation with Switch 2 Dave who said "yeah they're delaying launch to March", and separately a conversation with Marketing Mary who says "oh man I just had a panicked email from the Direct Planning Team asking if we can get our sizzle real footage of [Switch 1 Game] to them for a sooner deadline" or something.

But they aren't going to report it as "this specific guy told me this one thing. This other specific person told me this other thing." They have to protect their sources, so what they say to us is "I know these two things".

Nikkei report, corroborated by VGC-

• Delayed to March 2025 in order to prevent stock issues
  • Nintendo's “priority was given to ensure the initial inventory of the successor console and a lineup of software titles at the time of its launch”
  • Hybrid portable-home device like the Switch
  • Larger screen than the original
  • Could yet slip beyond March 2025 if they have manufacturing issues

late 2025 is now on the menu. someone somewhere at Nintendo is currently figuring out what Gamecube/3DS games can be remastered to keep them going next year.

Sounds like Nintendo looking at the initial stocking issues of Sony's and (to a lesser degree) Microsoft's new gen machines had and wanting to avoid that if possible.

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party software isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 games) then they have no business being a platform holder.

"Smooth Transition" fucking bullshit. They are setting themselves up for another 3DS (or maybe even WiiU) fuck-up at this rate.

Journalists have multiple sources dude. Seems like you're imagining that they're speaking to one guy, Switch 2 Dave, who tells them everything they report. But actually, maybe they had a conversation with Switch 2 Dave who said "yeah they're delaying launch to March", and separately a conversation with Marketing Mary who says "oh man I just had a panicked email from the Direct Planning Team asking if we can get our sizzle real footage of [Switch 1 Game] to them for a sooner deadline" or something.

But they aren't going to report it as "this specific guy told me this one thing. This other specific person told me this other thing." They have to protect their sources, so what they say to us is "I know these two things".
Yeah this is multiple sourced from multiple outlets (and not just from Twitter leakers but legitimate business media like Bloomberg, Nikkei etc... whose info does not come from Brazil) all saying the same thing - there is not really any hopium to huff here that there is going to be a 2024 launch - I would say March 2025 is best case scenario. In terms of directs, meh, that's "marketing" and could change at any time but certainly the launch timing shifts etc... is all very well sourced and backed up at this point it is basically fact

i find the possibility of it being related to manufacturing or 'stocking issues' not very likely. if the hardware is literally finalized now (and we have the documents showing the pipeline is ready) they can start making it as early as neccesary relative to release. has to be something else namely the software or perhaps something else entirely.

Possibly later than March 25... yikes 😔

Well, I won't get too worried about it now, we'll probably be able to gauge that as more Switch game announcements (or lack thereof) come out alongside the next investor's meeting.

They are setting themselves up for another 3DS (or maybe even WiiU) fuck-up at this rate.

So, by ensuring a better slate of launch first-party games for their next console, Nintendo is:
  1. Confusing customers with marketing and naming schemes for their console.
  2. Pricing the console at an expensive price point that'll require a price cut.
  3. Relying on third-parties for the launch slate of the console's software.
That makes sense

• Nintendo's “priority was given to ensure the initial inventory of the successor console and a lineup of software titles at the time of its launch”
This suggests to me they are not in a position to start manufacturing right now, which they could if they really wanted to lock down the inventory issue.

There's a few key variables we don't know. Such as the size of the inventory they want (there's that report of over 10 million from the screen suppliers) and if the they have lined up manufacturers or if perhaps nvidia is having trouble finding fab capacityto get the SoC manufacturered (?) as that could be a real bottleneck.

The report does also cite software, so given we have not heard of SoC or manufacturing issues, i suspect Nintendo could in fact manufacture anytime they want but are holding off until they have the software ready as well.

I get that we are in speculation territory here, but delaying out of next FY would be a much bigger deal. That's when people really start asking questions

I don't think missing the FY is on the table. if they don't have enough, they'll just go the "paper launch" route
I feel like it's emergency planning, covering all eventualities. If you're 90% sure March 2025 is feasible but that 10% still exists, it's better to say to your various partners (From whom this kind of stuff leaks) "It may yet slip later" than to come to them for a second time and say "Whoops, we delayed it again".

Delay due to manufacturing reasons could mean a plethora of things:
• They yet to nail a top notch quality manufacturing
• They don’t want issues with first run units to have any sort of defect (stuff like iPhone’s Screengate, and such)
• They’re still trying to accurately forecast launch day sales
• Their projections are Supply and Demand are putting the Switch 2 as exceeding Demand too much;
• Their inventory of Raw Materials is too low for what they want to sell

Lots of things

I get that we are in speculation territory here, but delaying out of next FY would be a much bigger deal. That's when people really start asking questions
I mean they have to say something at the next investor meeting in May, if they are targeting new hardware at Q4 of the upcoming FY2025. Otherwise people already will start asking questions then.

So, by ensuring a better slate of launch first-party games for their next console, Nintendo is:
  1. Confusing customers with marketing and naming schemes for their console.
  2. Pricing the console at an expensive price point that'll require a price cut.
  3. Relying on third-parties for the launch slate of the console's software.
That makes sense
All three of those things are looking more and more likely the further nintendo keeps delaying this not less likely.

Last edited:
As many asked...how? Their online infrastructure is a joke, and since most games don't have dedicated servers...

Then there is another example: netflix. Massive data and licensing deals... And <20$ is sustainable.

NSO is for sure a huge financial win for them, even at 20$.
I have no strong opinion on the sustainability of NSO, but you can't compare them charging $20 per year to Netflix charging $15.50 per month

There is zero evidence to objectively affirm this. We don’t even know the reason of the delay, and Nikkey and MoneyDJ are the only ones affirming it’s both software and manufacturing related.
Unless somehow Nintendo manages to launch this thing at sub $400 the more nintendo delays the more the general reaction to it's announcement is going to be "why is thing $400+?".

Third Parties are going to be less likely to want to develop on Nintendo hardware if Nintendo can't be reliable about making sure the hardware launches in time.

The longer nintendo takes the less valuable the Switch branding becomes, similar to how the WiiU launched long after the value of the Wii branding had dramatically declined.

Back
Top Bottom