• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
Unless somehow Nintendo manages to launch this thing at sub $400 the more nintendo delays the more the general reaction to it's announcement is going to be "why is thing $400+?".
Switch 2 won’t launch below $399.99

The materials used to make it will cost the same, or at best might represent a not so considerate discount, especially taking into account that, by now, purchase contracts must have been signed, meaning that they’re price locked.

Whether or not consumers will perceive the $400 price tag as worth it, that’s on Nintendo’s side to market the price tag having enough value to hold it

Third Parties are going to be less likely to want to develop on Nintendo hardware if Nintendo can't be reliable about making sure the hardware launches in time.
I doubt the lifetime support of third parties will be solely motivated by launch scheduling, rather than sales volume on the console itself.

The longer nintendo takes the less valuable the Switch branding becomes, similar to how the WiiU launched long after the value of the Wii branding had dramatically declined.
Although possible, you’re comparing a motion focused console in the era of smartphones eating up video game console market share, to a hybrid unit that can sustain itself even when mobile gaming keeps evolving

I hope Nintendo will reveal Switch schedule at the Nintendo Direct in March or April.... Now that we know Switch 2 has been delayed, games are important again.

Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario TTYD aren't enough. I hope they will release Metroid Prime 4 at the end of the year if it's ready and not wait for Switch 2, which is likely to suffer another delay.

I'm also hoping for confirmation of Fire Emblem 4 and other games :)

Third Parties are going to be less likely to want to develop on Nintendo hardware if Nintendo can't be reliable about making sure the hardware launches in time.
at a time where third parties are complaining about higher priced games and lower returns, I'm sure skipping potentially popular platforms will do great for their thinning margins

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party software isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 games) then they have no business being a platform holder.

"Smooth Transition" fucking bullshit. They are setting themselves up for another 3DS (or maybe even WiiU) fuck-up at this rate.
can you point to which report is saying 3rd parties with games ready by this year are frustrated?

IIRC, Ubisoft was reported to have just received kits recently. I suspect that's where most devs are and whomever had kits since last year were probably internal teams, or very close partners doing launch game work. Maybe it's those devs, but i suspect it's not random 3rd parties.

Last edited:
Unless somehow Nintendo manages to launch this thing at sub $400 the more nintendo delays the more the general reaction to it's announcement is going to be "why is thing $400+?".

The longer nintendo takes the less valuable the Switch branding becomes, similar to how the WiiU launched long after the value of the Wii branding had dramatically declined.

LOL I think they’ll be ok….

The anticipation for this thing from the general public / casual gamers and kids is already through the roof, only gonna grow.

can you point to which report is saying 3rd parties with games ready by this year are frustrated?
I 'm mainly reffering to this post: https://famiboards.com/threads/futu...s-before-commenting.55/page-2538#post-1022691

lol.

That was surely the main problem of the WiiU.
It was a big factor. By 2012 the Wii branding was nearly dead. People who might have previously been interested in a Wii successor had long moved on.

LOL I think they’ll be ok….

The anticipation for this thing from the general public / casual gamers and kids is already through the roof, only gonna grow.
Anticipation doesn't keep up forever, eventually people just stop waiting and move on to something else.

Could yet slip beyond March 2025 if they have manufacturing issues
tenor.gif

lol.

That was surely the main problem of the WiiU.
Besides that though, I just don't think the point is true. The Switch brand only keeps growing stronger, and more synonymous with the type of games Nintendo make and want to make.

the way i see it you're Nintendo and have briefed third parties on a release window then need to revise it the most cushioning way is to make it a small delay and wait for later to revise it further if need be. this is why the March window always seemed fanciful as it's now the earliest possible date. it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows whether it will be March/April/June/September at this point, only that it will be 2025 sometime. it makes no sense to give a later date until a later time as it further risks alienating third parties sitting on finished games.

It was a big factor. By 2012 the Wii branding was nearly dead. People who might have previously been interested in a Wii successor had long moved on.
The Wii brand was a factor, that is true, but more in the sense of "I don't need another Wii" or "Is this an accessory for the Wii?" than "Who cares about the Wii". I get being frustrated but let's at least try to be reasonably pessimistic and not veer into this absolutely ridiculous "nintendo is dooooomed" territory.

the way i see it you're Nintendo and have briefed third parties on a release window then need to revise it the most cushioning way is to make it a small delay and wait for later to revise it further if need be. this is why the March window always seemed fanciful as it's now the earliest possible date. it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows whether it will be March/April/June/September at this point, only that it will be 2025 sometime. it makes no sense to give a later date until a later time as it further risks alienating third parties sitting on finished games.
I feel like you're overthinking this. The message to third-parties, as far as we are aware, has simply gone from "we're aiming for H2 2024" to "we're aiming for the end of the fiscal year." That's it. Could it slip into FY26? It's possible, but we don't even have enough context for why the 4-5 month delay is happening to begin with beyond "need more games and stock". Without more detailed information, there isn't much reason to assume that it will be delayed further and that Nintendo gave a super optimistic answer to when partners can expect the system, rather than a reasonable estimate.

It is a little funny that all the reporting on the Switch 2 delay has the unstated but implied message that the next 3D Mario (in development for at least six years already) needs at least another year in development, but some people still are like “Prime 4 has to be done, it’s been five years.”

Clearly just nintendo fans will be enough to sustain Nintendo which is why the WiiU and Gamecube were such big financial successes.
all wii u and gamecube prove is that they need a consistent and quality lineup of software

and hey, that's allegedly the reason they're doing this. there's probably a good reason for it

a beefy line up over the first 12-15 life months is a worthy reason for a 4/5 months delay, even a significant missing holiday season. It's not about a strong launch title, be it 3D Mario or Mario Kart which could be very well ready to be delivered this fall for all we know, it's about having a constant flow of games, I'm talking about 3 big titles and roughly 3/4 filler (commercially) niche titles to appael a specific fan base.

I'm not worried tbh, I just fear a slim holiday season for Switch this year but we will see soon what they are cooking.

Journalists have multiple sources dude. Seems like you're imagining that they're speaking to one guy, Switch 2 Dave, who tells them everything they report. But actually, maybe they had a conversation with Switch 2 Dave who said "yeah they're delaying launch to March", and separately a conversation with Marketing Mary who says "oh man I just had a panicked email from the Direct Planning Team asking if we can get our sizzle real footage of [Switch 1 Game] to them for a sooner deadline" or something.

But they aren't going to report it as "this specific guy told me this one thing. This other specific person told me this other thing." They have to protect their sources, so what they say to us is "I know these two things".
Makes it less reliable then, dude. If two different 3rd party publishers are saying two different things when the message from corporate Nintendo should be clear as day regarding the delay. There's no way this communication is not in writing. Nintendo isn't providing this info by word-of-mouth only lol. Makes for an inconsistent rumor, dude.

;)

To makes things clear, I think the March 2025 thing is real but all the other details are up in the air/word-of-mouth/lies.
For all we know Nintendo might not reveal this thing until September.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the actual delay part turns out to be fake as well but lots of places are corroborating. It just the other details about April general direct and indie direct in march that makes no sense to come along with this info.

Last edited:
all wii u and gamecube prove is that they need a consistent and quality lineup of software

and hey, that's allegedly the reason they're doing this. there's probably a good reason for it
The reason for GameCube‘s failure is that there are too many bad people like Nate, which are full of hatred towards sunshine. Without them everyone would life in peace, the Wii U wouldn’t have flopped, Switch 2‘d be smaller and launch in 2024.

Last edited:
man you really have a beef with MP4

No, I don't, I have a beef with the "it must be done or near done!" stuff for a game that has zero information that has only been in development for 5 years and maybe only been in full production since September 2021 (When Prime Remastered was completed)

Nikkei report, corroborated by VGC-

• Delayed to March 2025 in order to prevent stock issues
  • Nintendo's “priority was given to ensure the initial inventory of the successor console and a lineup of software titles at the time of its launch”
  • Hybrid portable-home device like the Switch
  • Larger screen than the original
  • Could yet slip beyond March 2025 if they have manufacturing issues
Sounds more like 2027 /s

Though I hope we hear something about it soon.

Interested in seeing what happens if the reports of gta6 releasing q1 2025 are true and isn't coming to Switch 2 would have any negative effects on the switch 2 launch if there release close to each other.

Take Two is already hedging very hard on this and this is one of the most delicate releases in gaming history. They have to wind down GTA5 Online and move people to GTA6 online and basically no GaaS has done this since Destiny 2 in 2017 (and Destiny was way less popular than GTA).

They will take no chances on this game and it will probably be Fall 2025 at the earliest.

I have no strong opinion on the sustainability of NSO, but you can't compare them charging $20 per year to Netflix charging $15.50 per month
Right there. My bad, still I think if Netflix is sustainable (assuming the competitors where not a problem) then Nintendo's infrastructure can't be more then a a $ per month per user

Take Two is already hedging very hard on this and this is one of the most delicate releases in gaming history. They have to wind down GTA5 Online and move people to GTA6 online and basically no GaaS has done this since Destiny 2 in 2017 (and Destiny was way less popular than GTA).

They will take no chances on this game and it will probably be Fall 2025 at the earliest.
it's GTA6, it could launch with an even worse version of GTA online than GTA5 was at launch and still get a 95+ on Metacritic and sell 50 million in its first month. and the most likely situation would be to have the single-player come out first and open the online a few weeks to a month later like with GTA5 or red dead 2.

it's GTA6, it could launch with an even worse version of GTA online than GTA5 was at launch and still get a 95+ on Metacritic and sell 50 million in its first month. and the most likely situation would be to have the single-player come out first and open the online a few weeks to a month later like with GTA5 or red dead 2.

Take Two was hugely disappointed in Red Dead 2's online userbase and if that happens again for GTA6 it will be a catastrophe for them, I don't think they're going to take this for granted.

Interested in seeing what happens if the reports of gta6 releasing q1 2025 are true and isn't coming to Switch 2 would have any negative effects on the switch 2 launch if there release close to each other.
Well hey, if Nintendo is worried about not having enough hardware, launching close to something which would take attention away from Switch 2 could be an advantage.

They can't completely wind down GTA 5 Online though when PC isn't scheduled to get GTA6 at launch.

Take Two was hugely disappointed in Red Dead 2's online userbase and if that happens again for GTA6 it will be a catastrophe for them, I don't think they're going to take this for granted.
you have a source for that info, because by all accounts red dead online did great at the start but take two to abandon it to focus more on shark cards because there a bunch of greedy fucks. and there is less than a .1 chance of GTA6 online failing in no matter what situation

The Partner Showcase Direct got over 2 million views in less than a week, and that's just a Partner Showcase. I think the Switch branding is doing fine.

If the rumors of a June reveal are true, then a three-month period of no word is not going to shatter the Earth. That also gives Nintendo 9 months to drum up hype.

Personally, I have the feeling that Nintendo was set to launch their successor at the end of this year but postponed it after they caught wind of Microsoft planning to release more and more games on competitor's hardware (arguably admitting defeat in the hardware business) and SONY having no new first party game for this year too (it is a bit of a conspiracy-theory, I know...).

So Nintendo probably thought, let's get Switch 2 as right as we can and offer an exciting product, with an exciting stream of new games at and following launch - and enough stock to satisfy demand. Maybe even with a more fleshed out OS with useful and distinct features.

Competition is likely just not very tough this year. If the PS5 Pro exists...what game should sell it?
SONY will have to wait for GTA VI to do great bundles.

So, no rush to get a headstart with Switch 2 and Switch 1 will have another okay year in 2024, I think.
If we have another quality year like 2017 in 2025, Switch 2 will be off to a very good start.

They have nowhere near the staff levels to support both.
They are honestly going to have to support both, even if just token gestures for 5's online. Not everyone is going to abandon ship ASAP for the next online on the first day. That's a transition that needs to be managed over time. But if they break 5, then they're only damaging their brand and consumer goodwill.

And they shouldn't be tempted by any frontloaded sales because for as much an event 6 will be, it will still have a long road ahead of it to catch 5's decade of performance.

They are honestly going to have to support both, even if just token gestures for V's online. Not everyone is going to abandon ship ASAP for the next online on the first day. That's a transition that needs to be managed over time. But if they break V, then they're only damaging their brand and consumer goodwill.

I mean, they can't support both though is the big issue!

This is why GTA6 is the most delicate and anxiety inducing release in gaming history other than maybe BotW (maybe more than BotW)

Eh, personal I think the reason for the delay was because the next 3D mario wouldn't be done in time for this year and they didn't want to rely on just cross gen games and third parties for 3-6 months till the switch 2's first major exclusive

I think they delayed switch 2 because they had one prototype that they had so send to the factory but Koizumi’s subway sandwich dripped some sauce on it and they had to rebuild it

I've said it before, depending on how development has been going the delay could yield a new animal crossing within the system's first year, that'd be a huge boon even compared to 18 months
eh I think AC is 2026 or 2027, there probably more concerned with getting Mario kart out within the first year more

I've said it before, depending on how development has been going the delay could yield a new animal crossing within the system's first year, that'd be a huge boon even compared to 18 months
Heck yeah fam that’s absolutely the Switch 2’s first holiday game. No doubt in my mind

Heck yeah fam that’s absolutely the Switch 2’s first holiday game. No doubt in my mind
I could see them doing September (if possible) or spring 2026 just so the in-game weather feels more appropriate but I could see them going for a standard holiday slot as well

as an aside, I personally think New Horizons was originally targeting a September 2019 launch as the big Switch Lite title rather than being moved from October or November

Is anyone really surprised by this? Year one of the Switch was loaded with banger after banger, Nintendo is doing this because they want to emulate that success. Why release hardware when you don't have the software to go with it? This isn't a PS5 scenario where third parties will carry it, Nintendo needs a steady first party pipeline to move units.

EARLIEST AC GAME IN THE CONSOLE'S LIFESPAN SINCE DOUBUTSU NO MORI + IN DECEMBER 2001, LET'S GOOOOOO

If Nintendo is going to selfishly keep delaying this because their own first party software isn't ready (and I say "selfishly" based on people on famiboards mentioning that there's frustrated third parties sitting on finished Switch 2 games) then they have no business being a platform holder.

"Smooth Transition" fucking bullshit. They are setting themselves up for another 3DS (or maybe even WiiU) fuck-up at this rate.
It's not Nintendo's fault that people only buy Nintendo hardware due to Nintendo titles. That is because historically those third parties have only cared about Playstation and Xbox, meaning that they can't move Nintendo hardware, they can only make people buy a Playstation.

Meaning if Nintendo launches Switch 2 with only third party games, it would crash and burn.

Back
Top Bottom