• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 144 59.5%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 34 14.0%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 16 6.6%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 24 9.9%

• Total voters
Ok then, but that doesn't change the rest of the post. All signs point to Smash 6 being Sakurai's next project.
I agree. Just know that if you start posts that way, fewer people will bother to read them.

Edit - If you had started it "There are plenty of good reasons to believe that Sakurai's next game is very likely Smash 6." it would be a different story. I wouldn't have bothered to read the post as it is, except that I generally like you.

I'm guessing that there's no direct this week with the lack of announcement.
Also Nintendo are weirdly dropping news for games every hour on their twitter.

Sakurai is a Smash Dev sleeper agent. They say his activation phrase, he develops a Smash game, he feels satisfied and deactivates again, then they say the phrase again when it’s time for a new game.

Sakurai is a Smash Dev sleeper agent. They say his activation phrase, he develops a Smash game, he feels satisfied and deactivates again, then they say the phrase again when it’s time for a new game.
tenor.gif

Do you think the Switch Reveal would be before or after the Release of Peach Showtime? GDC is exactly in the timeframe of the release of that game.

I think there are technically 4 possibilities, if they really reveal the hardware in March:
  • The next Switch will be revealed early to mid March
  • It will be revealed around GDC while them throwing the Peach game completely under the Bus
  • GDC will only be another venue where Nintendo talks to devs, but the actual reveal will be the week after.
  • Around GDC they will just have an official press release, where they confirm working on next gen hardware, while the actual Reveal is at some point in early Summer.
What do you think?

That for some reason that goes beyond graphical performance, iI have the feeling that companies like RockStar would not offer their main premiere titles, such as GTA (new main releases).
That Sega (RGG Studio and Atlus mainly) do not offer their titles, like Yakuza/Like a Dragon and Persona, on Nintendo, only occasionally in the case of Atlus and late.
That companies like Square Enix would not offer their main titles such as FF VII Remake, Rebirth, Final Fantasy XVI, a possible Final Fantasy XVII, etc., to Nintendo.
That companies like Capcom would not offer a new DmC VI, MH World in their day (despite Rise) or MH Survive, new numerical installments of Resident Evil and Street Fighter, to Nintendo.
That Bandai Namco does not give some of its main titles like Tekken to Nintendo, or anime games like Dragon Ball to launch.
That many Western developers, as in the case of RockStar mentioned above, do not give their main titles to Nintendo.
If Konami continued making video games with new main installments of its sagas such as Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Castlevania or PES (Efootball), they would surely not release those titles on Nintendo.
And so on for a long time for some obscure reason.

Do you think the Switch Reveal would be before or after the Release of Peach Showtime? GDC is exactly in the timeframe of the release of that game.

I think there are technically 4 possibilities, if they really reveal the hardware in March:
  • It will be revealed around GDC while them throwing the Peach game completely under the Bus
  • GDC will only be another venue where Nintendo talks to devs, but the actual reveal will be the week after.
  • Around GDC they will just have an official press release, where they confirm working on next gen hardware, while the actual Reveal is at some point in early Summer.
What do you think?
before princess peach showtime

Sakurai is the Kojima of Smash: "I'm done with this proceeds to keep working on it

And just like with Kojima, it's "his own fault" ... kinda.

Look at Nintendo, the big names that have their most important IPs under their decision always start "raising up" successors to take over if they feel like they're done with it.

Sakurai never tried that.

Always keep your health (and age) in mind, train up possible successors.

And just like with Kojima, it's "his own fault" ... kinda.

Look at Nintendo, the big names that have their most important IPs under their decision always start "raising up" successors to take over if they feel like they're done with it.

Sakurai never tried that.

Always keep your health (and age) in mind, train up possible successors.
I feel with the Bandai Namco team, they're trying to do that. Maybe Ultimate was Sakurai's last Smash as being directly involved, and in this next one, he's less involved, but still in the decision making process.

I feel with the Bandai Namco team, they're trying to do that. Maybe Ultimate was Sakurai's last Smash as being directly involved, and in this next one, he's less involved, but still in the decision making process.

Dunno, Sakurai appears to be the "Do it like this ... you know what, forget it, i'll do it myself"-type.

What do you think?
I feel like before GDC is far likely.

I feel like before GDC is far likely.

Yep, sometime in the first two weeks of March.

It's a funny thought, in theory the reveal could happen mere days after the Pokemon Presents.

I wonder if one or more projects Game Freaks' going to announce there will look "suspiciously" good for a Game Freak Pokemon game. wink wink

Prediction Poll
Ok folks, we two weeks away from March. The word out on the street is that Nintendo is going to reveal the glorious new system next month. Enough of the debates. Enough of the back and forth. It is time to put your money where your mouth is. When is Nintendo going to reveal the system?

Here are the rules before voting in the poll:

• The winning date is the the date when the system is actual shown. To clarify, remember back in October of 2016 when the Switch was finally shown? October 20th would be the winning date in this situation.
  • You get your choice of a three day weekday window, the weekend, or the Fami apocalypse.​
  • You cannot change your vote​
  • Your vote will be public (for prize reasons)​
  • You cannot see the poll results until you vote​
  • The ballot ends in two weeks, before March starts.​

The grand prize will be a $50 eshop GC. From the winning group, one name will be chosen at random. I'll probably coordinate with the mods to make sure we can randomly pick a name.

It's now or never (not really, but seriously it is time)

I put my vote in, but if ending up on a "loser" team would mean i have to get a shitty avatar, i'll have forfeit my participation here.

The grand prize will be a $50 eshop GC. From the winning group, one name will be chosen at random. I'll probably coordinate with the mods to make sure we can randomly pick a name.
Sounds fun, haha. I assume the person who wins, but is from Europe/Asia, that they get it in their respective currency, instead of dollars?

Just to be clear, are we talking a proper reveal with all bells and whistles (trailer etc) or just Nintendo announcing something for a later date?

Preferably a video, but it needs to at least show the system.

If Nintendo only tweets a mystery box next month with "See you in June" or something along those lines, then the non March believers win.

What if the Switch 2 is the first "portable Xbox" that there have been rumours about? 🤔 Could be like a licensing setup where certain portables are "Xbox certified" and get Day 1 releases and a Game Pass app.

What do you think?
It'll be after Princess Peach. They'd be totally cannibalising sales of that game. Let it have a big launch, bit of attention, then slide out the second hype machine.

It'll be after Princess Peach. They'd be totally cannibalising sales of that game. Let it have a big launch, bit of attention, then slide out the second hype machine.
I don't think software will be affected all that much from a drake announcement. and if they were more worried about it, they could have brought it up and replaced the march date with a lesser title, like Another Code or MvDK

Voted for the 11th, 12th and 13th. Nintendo will wait for the CONCACAF W Gold Cup to finish before they announce the Switch 2.

IMO there's probably no huge overlap between that games target audience and early adopters of new hardware.

Voted for March 11-13th. Hopefully a proper Direct/presentation with game reveals rather than "just" a video tho. I need to see that sweet, sweet cross-gen FE4 remake and the next 3d Mario 😎

I voted for Weekend Chaos mostly because I think it’s the funniest outcome. There’s like a negative percent chance it happens. Only hope is if they do something weird and announce it on the Switch anniversary.

My predicted time frame is between the 11-15th because I think Nintendo wants to reveal it before GDC but also wants to wait until the last moment possible so that week fits.
I voted 14,15,18 only because the switch 1 reveal was on a Thursday lol.

I voted for later in the month because I feel like if it was at the start of March, we'd be feeling way more solid rumblings by now.

Not sure how welcoming people will be to this but Grubb said a source he trusts and has gotten stuff right had told him a while ago that Nintendo would be starting a big marketing campaign for Metroid Prime 4 beginning in May.

I will add that he wasn't sure if this was true now.

Back
Top Bottom