• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
March 6 - Super Mario 3D
April 3 - New Monolith IP
May 1 - Mario Kart X
May 29 - (Backwards Compatible) Pokémon Legends: Z-A
June 26 - Kirby 3D
July 24 - (Backwards Compatible) Donkey Kong 2D
August 21 - Hyrule Warriors: Sheikah
September 18 - (Backwards Compatible) Metroid 2D
October 9 - Mario Party
October 30 - (Backwards Compatible) Ring Fit Sequel
November 20 - Animal Crossing
All those Mario games would absolutely murder smaller new games in between. New Monolith IP, DK, Kirby don't even have tiny bit chance to survive. Give the Mario games some breathing room to break some records:

March - Mario 3D, ARMS sequel
April - nothing
May - Mario Kart X
June- Nothing
July - Xenobalde Trilogy remastered
August - Nothing
September - Smash Bros Ultimate Complete Edition (+ new Fighter Pass)
October - Astral Chain 2
November - Hyper Mario Party, Pokémon Johto remakes
December - New IP project from an associate studio (holiday game, safe from Mario-slaughter)

For BC games, Nintendo should launch a GameCube/Wii HD remaster game every other month: Star Fox Adventures, Zelda WW/TP, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, Kirby Air Ride, Batallion Wars 1-2, DKCR.

Nintendo will have a SKU that doesn't come with a dock or charger just to lower the price under the assumption enough people already have docks.
Honestly it would be the option I would gun for given the chance; I only started doubting the possibility when this new dock supposedly offers additional cooling.

But then if the OLED docks weren't made to be futureproof (regardless if the HDMI 2.0 is incidental because of 1.4's depracation), why did Switch firmware bring an option to update the OLED dock for a feature that has still yet to be unlocked?

So what do you think how would the future of games with 2D visuals only on the Switch 2 will be like other than just being upres'd into 4K?
Ideally some of them would be using actual assets of higher than 1080p quality. And even if going for a retro pixel look, the ones that aren't totally committed to the bit could have smoother animation/scaling/rotation/etc. if rendered in 4K rather than 1080p.

All those Mario games would absolutely murder smaller new games in between.
I think Switch has demonstrated that smaller games can survive on their own just fine, as long as they aren't ultra niche projects.

Keep in mind Pokemon, DK, Metroid and Ring Fit would still have that 140m+ Switch install base that won't upgrade within the first couple of years to thrive off of.

idk even I think that if it's a switch it should be called a switch

the 3ds wasn't the stereovis 32 or some shit

Let’s hope Nintendo is bringing back their OWN social platform like a Miiverse 2
Few months ago, I randomly thought of Miiverse 2 as a combination of Twitch and Discord. :p
Where people can make their own groups for Chat and Voice Chat, but also where people can stream their gameplay on their Nintendo Account page. :p

Any fighting game fans in this thread? I’d love to see the Switch 2 get ports of all the major current and upcoming fightings games with cross play. Tekken 8, Street Fighter 6, City of the Wolves, Guilty Gear Strive, 2XKO,
Virtua Fighter 6 (assuming Sony isn’t money hat-ing that one)

Any fighting game fans in this thread? I’d love to see the Switch 2 get ports of all the major current and upcoming fightings games with cross play. Tekken 8, Street Fighter 6, City of the Wolves, Guilty Gear Strive, 2XKO,
I wouldn't count on Tekken 8, but otherwise all of them have a very solid chance. I'd say City of the Wolves and 2XKO are probably getting released day and date with other platforms

Street Fighter, KoF, and Guilty Gear are guarantees

2XKO, probably. Riot partnered with Nintendo to push their failed indie initiative, so I wouldn't put it past them to have a good working relationship

given what Midori has said about Sega, I'd expect it. Sony paying for exclusivity doesn't sound like something Sony should be spending so much money on. it's not that big an IP anymore

Street Fighter 6 seems to be a lock, considering launching a SF game with a Nintendo handheld launch is a Capcom thing now.

Tekken 8 also have a shot. They failed with Tekken 7 but the successor is much more capable than Switch.

Anything from SNK should also be lock, as PIF also owns a chunk of Nintendo. Starting with that new Fatal Fury game.

Not sure about Arc Sys games. Switch was more than capable of having the recent GG games but it only got Arc Sys games published by others, like DNF Duel.

With the rumors about the magnets to connect the controllers to the system. What do you think of the name "The Nintendo Click™"?
Click to me brings to mind images of remote controls, moreso than anything to do with magnets attaching. Maybe a good alternate name for the Wii.

I wouldn't count on Tekken 8, but otherwise all of them have a very solid chance. I'd say City of the Wolves and 2XKO are probably getting released day and date with other platforms
Curious, what makes you doubtful about T8? T7 pushed the Xbox and PS4 really hard so the only thing they could have done for the Switch was ports of older games (which Bamco seems to almost never do). Switch 2 on paper looks capable enough for a solid version of T8
given what Midori has said about Sega, I'd expect it. Sony paying for exclusivity doesn't sound like something Sony should be spending so much money on. it's not that big an IP anymore
I thought Sony helped fund Ultimate Showdown, hence why it was only on PS4?
Not sure about Arc Sys games. Switch was more than capable of having the recent GG games but it only got Arc Sys games published by others, like DNF Duel.
We got a complete version of Blazblue Central Fiction, Cross Tag Battle day 1, and a port of GGX2. Strive I imagine would of been difficult to get running on Switch and they dropped support for Xrd right around the Switch’s release
Hopefully the collaboration between Nintendo and ArcSys will continue and Nintendo Anime Niche Fighters (crossover of Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Golden Sun, etc.) will appear.
Yeah ASW would cook with a Xenoblade fighting game

Curious, what makes you doubtful about T8? T7 pushed the Xbox and PS4 really hard so the only thing they could have done for the Switch was ports of older games (which Bamco seems to almost never do). Switch 2 on paper looks capable enough for a solid version of T8
I could be wrong, but I feel that unless they make the effort of scaling down things a little bit, they seemed to be very clear on using what they could on the PS5-Series specs to achieve their vision; Harada seems the kind of guy that doesn't like sacrifices on his games... otherwise Tekken 7 would show up on Switch, even if at the tail end of its lifecycle. You know... especially with Kazuya in Smash...

SoulCalibur VI was another one that was a missed opportunity, even though the low budget was the one to blame.

From Bamco, I guess we can settle with a Pokkén 2, but I'd love to have at least a Tekken collection of 1 to 4.

Last edited:
I thought Sony helped fund Ultimate Showdown, hence why it was only on PS4?
I suspect ultimate showdown was a rather cheap endeavor given the circumstances of its release and that it's an updated version of VF5. a proper VF6 would take a lot more money and I have questions if it would sell well enough to make exclusivity worth it

I really hope the Snap (I think it's going to be called that due to the magnetic Joycons) gets Alan Wake 2. Just would love to see the DF comparison. I'm also hoping to see what a next gen Mario looks like.

Yeah, that's true. Forgot about that. My thoughts process came from the fact that EO and AC came right at the end, and players might've wanted to wait for a similar Wii U - Switch effect of those games. But yeah, likely Switch games prolly BC, so never mind I guess?
While I do think Nintendo might consider doing some Switch 2 native versions of Switch 1 games, it's not going to be niche titles like AC:R or EO:L. It'll be games that were a hit on Switch and now there's a deluxe edition on the shelf for new Switch 2 gamers to buy with all the dlc included. My guess would be stuff like Pokemon Scarlet/Violet, Smash Ultimate, Splatoon 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and/or 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses and/or Engage, etc would be considered.

The WiiU to Switch ports were largely made up of games with big sales potential that "under performed" due to being on the WiiU. Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U, etc. Yes some niche games also got ports like Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Bayonetta 2, but I think those made more sense due to lack of BC. I don't think a title like Advance Wars 1+2 or Bayonetta 3 gets a benefit out of a native Switch 2 port vs having a performance update patch.

Same. I have an 8bitdo stick that I would love to use on the Switch 2.

Plot twist: Legends ZA will be the Switch/Switch 2 cross gen BOTW game and Mario will come out in October again
My own prediction is Z-A is Switch only but not long after that we'll have cross gen Johto remakes, with next gen versions looking considerably better than Switch versions.

Unless someone at Nintendo finally convinced TPC to change their ways, I wouldn't bet on Legends Z-A to be cross-gen. They really don't care about selling hardware, it's not their responsibility. They stay where the userbase is and only migrate when there's no other option.

Besides... considering the big likelyhood of the game not being up to snuff to other Nintendo 1st Party games in terms of looks, performance and scope, better not to position it as a launch title and invite comparisons.

I do think Nintendo won't have anything cross-gen this time around; Prime 4 will be releasing still this year, while Legends Z-A in early January.

I wonder if Creatures will do something like Dream Radar for the Switch successor that connects with SV and/or Z-A

Honestly the fact the game was already announced for Switch, and how Nintendo is handling the announcement or Switch 2, if ZA was a Switch 2 game I think Nintendo would have kept TPC from announcing ZA back in February.

I could be wrong, but I feel that unless they make the effort of scaling down things a little bit, they seemed to be very clear on using what they could on the PS5-Series specs to achieve their vision; Harada seems the kind of guy that doesn't like sacrifices on his games... otherwise Tekken 7 would show up on Switch, even if at the tail end of its lifecycle. You know... especially with Kazuya in Smash...

SoulCalibur VI was another one that was a missed opportunity, even though the low budget was the one to blame.
Tekken 7 ran well below 1080p on PS4 and Xbone, I don’t think they could have done a faithful conversion of that game for Switch. No crossplay either so a Switch port of T7 would have been for an extremely niche audience. However a potential Switch 2 version of T8 makes a lot more sense given the Series S port runs extremely well and with cross play Nintendo players don’t have to worry about low player numbers
I suspect ultimate showdown was a rather cheap endeavor given the circumstances of its release and that it's an updated version of VF5. a proper VF6 would take a lot more money and I have questions if it would sell well enough to make exclusivity worth it
I could still see a situation like SF5 where Sony funds the game but SEGA releases a PC version too. I do agree with you that a VF6 would need to be as many platforms as possible to make sense financially though
Same. I have an 8bitdo stick that I would love to use on the Switch 2.
I have a hitbox works on PC, PlayStation, and Switch. I’d love to go in on Switch 2 for fighting games just have a portable set up matches with friends

I think Z-A is still atypical of other Pokémon announcements. There is seemingly no reason it should have been announced that early, without footage and nothing but a concept video and blurb to convey what the game is supposed to be about. With Arceus it had the context of being a 25th anniversary game and being connected to BDSP but Z-A doesn't have that context. It's just weird.

I think Z-A is still atypical of other Pokémon announcements. There is seemingly no reason it should have been announced that early, without footage and nothing but a concept video and blurb to convey what the game is supposed to be about. With Arceus it had the context of being a 25th anniversary game and being connected to BDSP but Z-A doesn't have that context. It's just weird.

Yeah, it's a really weird announcement.

It's also a game that has a pretty concerning concept based on how badly Game Freak's engine handles CPU load. There's going to be a lot of NPCs on screen and this just slaughters their engine. Brute forcing this on the Switch 2's CPU seems like the best path forward if they can't fix the engine.

Tekken 7 ran well below 1080p on PS4 and Xbone, I don’t think they could have done a faithful conversion of that game for Switch. No crossplay either so a Switch port of T7 would have been for an extremely niche audience. However a potential Switch 2 version of T8 makes a lot more sense given the Series S port runs extremely well and with cross play Nintendo players don’t have to worry about low player numbers
Imran said they tried a Tekken 7 port for Switch but failed.

But it's still stupid that Switch has no Tekken games. Not a single other 3D fighter either. At least Namco should have supported their Smash DLC with a port of an old game, like Tag Tournament 2 or something. It's also crazy that they still haven't brought back older Tekken games in any form, it's pretty sad to see Tekken 4 and 5 are still stuck in PS2 prison.

I don't see Z-A being a launch title because, let's be honest, the game is going to look 2 generations behind and suffer from performance issues no matter what. I doubt GF will have improved their development pipeline in the 3 years since Arceus came out as a lot of that time has gone towards SV + it's DLC. It'd be a pretty bad look to launch a game in a state anywhere close to SV, and brute forcing a stable game by only launching on the Switch 2 would result in an underwhelming looking and performing product.

I don't see Z-A being a launch title because, let's be honest, the game is going to look 2 generations behind and suffer from performance issues no matter what. I doubt GF will have improved their development pipeline in the 3 years since Arceus came out as a lot of that time has gone towards SV + it's DLC. It'd be a pretty bad look to launch a game in a state anywhere close to SV, and brute forcing a stable game by only launching on the Switch 2 would result in an underwhelming looking and performing product.
with SV completed prior to its launch, the tech team would have already moved on, the on-going support and DLC wouldn't mean anything. and that's on top of the tech team now being out of lockstep with the games' release with the establishing of their R&D group

A Pokemon title drives sales.

It may be a "bad look" on the surface, but people will go out in droves to buy it regardless of quality.

Z-A is a Switch 1 game that will run on Switch 2 via BC folks. TPC couldn't care less about Nintendo's hardware launch, they've always been a late arrival to new systems and the game is already announced for Switch 1.

Discussion of Hogwarts Legacy is banned on Famiboards, per our Banned Content List in Research & Development. Please refrain from bringing up the title. – meatbag, ngpdrew, IsisStormDragon
What miracle ports do we think will get an upgrade (either free or paid)?

I could see Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat 1, Hogwarts and Borderlands 3 all getting Switch 2 versions/updates.

I’m also really excited to see Fortnite running on the Switch 2. Should look and play great.

I could see Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, Mortal Kombat 1, Hogwarts and Borderlands 3 all getting Switch 2 versions/updates.

I’m also really excited to see Fortnite running on the Switch 2. Should look and play great.
the Warner Bros games, definitely.

hard to say with The Witcher as they're moving off that

Ok actually follow up to this: What would the pricing of the game look like with the new SKU. BotW continues selling millions each year so they're not gonna take the Switch 1 version of the game off the shelves once the Switch 2 hits. Are they going to have the Switch 1 version on the shelf for $60, and then the Switch 2 version next to it for $70? I can't imagine stores would want the same game taking up more space on their shelves. Are stores out there carrying the PS4 versions of games and PS5 versions at the same time?
BOTW was a Wii U game. With the Wii U version selling the same time as the Switch. I don’t see how this is different. Wii U version wasn’t cheaper than the Switch version. They were both 60$.

They will sell two versions of the game until one version (the Switch 1 version) eventually fades into nothingness due to low demand as people move onto the new console. The exact same scenario happened with BOTW Wii U version. It was selling to the people that didn’t want to buy the Switch at launch that had a Wii U.

Also, just as I thought that they will sell upgrades at full price. It’s becoming real. What they are doing this gen is already working. There’s no need to change it.

No Man's Sky would be a good one. The Switch port as it is is really good. But definitely held back by the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom