• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 201 58.4%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.3%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 52 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.0%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 28 8.1%

• Total voters

such a terrible name. this evil must be defeated.
I love love having Super in the name and a nod to their legacy and one of the most belowed consoles of all time. I've been on team Super Nintendo Switch (SNS) for a long time.

But I am worried launguage being what it is, people would prefer calling it the 'Super Switch' or 'SS' for short. I don't like that at all.

Super Switch would be a good name on all accounts, it's nostalgic, it communicates exactly what the system is, and it's reminiscing of an era that is often considered Nintendo's best.

It would also give it good luck, since it would have the same name convention as the only other time when Nintendo managed to transition from one successful home console to another.

And I'm gonna go against the current and say it would be best if the full name was "Nintendo Super Switch" instead of "Super Nintendo Switch".

I'm all for the "Super Switch" name as long as Switch 3 is called "Ultra Switch".

The promise must be fulfilled; Nintendo owes us a console with Ultra in its name.

It's probably gonna be that rumored Attach now
The name that showed up once on a random Google survey?

I don't think it's any more likely just because the controllers are magnetic now, why would they stake the name this next-gen console on the way controllers or accessories are linked to the console, just seems like underselling what the machine actually is and focusing too much on this one thing.

I have more faith in 'Nintendo Switch Snap', at least Snap can convey a bunch more alternate meanings.

super nintendo switch is a name for old, old, old men
it's lame as shit. only thing we should be bringing back from the past are the games. Super Mario RPG, an old ass RPG from the SNES? okay, bring it over as a Switch game if we can't buy the original as VC. but we want the Super branding brought back too for Nintendo's next console? 🤮

it's lame as shit. only thing we should be bringing back from the past are the games. Super Mario RPG, an old ass RPG from the SNES? okay, bring it over as a Switch game if we can't buy the original as VC. but we want the Super branding brought back too for Nintendo's next console? 🤮
Ok, let's call it the "Based" Nintendo Switch, or whichever hip word kids use these days lol

super nintendo switch is a name for old, old, old men
Nvidia brought back the 'Super' name for what were more "mid-gen" upgrades to their original RTX 20-series cards by tacking on the name 'Super' to the cards (RTX 20-[60/70/70ti/80/etc] Super) which was only a couple years ago (2019). So some companies don't mind still adding it in.

But really though, I think 'Super' is more 'Pro' line of naming schemes. Nintendo will probably go with something else to state its a new model (hopefully just with a simple '2')

Last edited:
But really though, I think 'Super' is more 'Pro' line of naming schemes. Nintendo will probably go with something else to state its a new model (hopefully just with a simple '2')
yeah, use Super or Advance or whatever for Pro consoles. works for me. only time I'll accept it.

Ok, let's call it the "Based" Nintendo Switch, or whichever hip word kids use these days lol
The name won’t be that big of a deal, but will Nintendo keep the same momentum of skibidi rizz and also will the game have the same quality of Gyatt that breath of the wild had.

Also the pricing of the Fanum tax will be important for the average Kai cenat and will Nintendo make the fumble that the Wii U had, in which the Kai cenat taught it was Ohio.

The name won’t be that big of a deal, but will Nintendo keep the same momentum of skibidi rizz and also will the game have the same quality of Gyatt that breath of the wild had.

Also the pricing of the Fanum tax will be important for the average Kai cenat and will Nintendo make the fumble that the Wii U had, in which the Kai cenat taught it was Ohio.
I thought Gyatt was a shortened 'goddamn'.

Or was life a lie?

c09ed7f622dd69c417885ce2b8d414ded87ca4a3d90cbdf645892f415e95dfd1_1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but September Directs most of the time have games that release in the beginning of the new year, right?
Pretty much. Directs cover the next six months of the system lineup, outside a game or two that gets saddles with a more vague "20XX" date.

February Direct: Mostly games releasing before the end of August
June Direct: Mostly games releasing before the end of December
September Direct: Mostly games releasing before the end of March

I am against Super Nintendo Switch if only because all of the ways you could shorten it bother me, personally. I think it's very common to just call the current console a "Switch", yeah? So like... what do you shorten Super Nintendo Switch to? Also just a Switch? Or a Super Switch? Or the SNS?

I kind of hate all of those.

Switch 2 means I can just call it a Switch 2... no work required. I am also fine with it having some new name like Attach or Snap, since those would be easy to shorten as well (though I don't really like either of those examples).

Minor, personal gripe, but I can't be the only one who feels like that, yeah?

But I am worried launguage being what it is, people would prefer calling it the 'Super Switch' or 'SS' for short. I don't like that at all.
The Super Switch would have the truly outstanding abbreviation of SS

As a german Switch owner, I've been living in a new NS-age these past seven years.

Yep, even here, you couldn't get advertisers to stick to the NSW abbreviation. That is to say, I'm not optimistic a name being shortened to SS would put off businessmen in some American or Japanese office.

Switch 2 is most clear. The argument of 'Nintendo doesn't use numbers' is (a) untrue [Super Game Boy 2], (b) sure, they don't do it - until they do it. This is uncharted territory, one of their most profitable consoles ever, but also now their only device on the market. The sting of the Wii U remains. It is possible to use a name like 'Switch Ultra' and have the marketing effectively convey it is a next-gen console - or just use 'Switch 2' and have that immediately understood by everyone. The layperson understands sequential ordering and the association between +1 and 'next-generation/better'.

The perception of it being a 'boring' name is not particularly a compelling reason either, what name did Nintendo give one of their best-selling, innovative consoles with standout features? 'DS'. Names are marketing. 'Switch' was extremely popular'. 'Switch 2' is eyecatching because it indicates a follow-up to one of the most popular consoles of all time. The number '2' brings excitement when what proceeds it was well received.

I am not convinced that Nintendo is allergic to numbers or that using it is some betrayal of their creative spark.

Switch 2 is most clear. The argument of 'Nintendo doesn't use numbers' is (a) untrue [Super Game Boy 2], (b) sure, they don't do it - until they do it. This is uncharted territory, one of their most profitable consoles ever, but also now their only device on the market. The sting of the Wii U remains. It is possible to use a name like 'Switch Ultra' and have the marketing effectively convey it is a next-gen console - or just use 'Switch 2' and have that immediately understood by everyone. The layperson understands sequential ordering and the association between +1 and 'next-generation/better'.

The perception of it being a 'boring' name is not particularly a compelling reason either, what name did Nintendo give one of their best-selling, innovative consoles with standout features? 'DS'. Names are marketing. 'Switch' was extremely popular'. 'Switch 2' is eyecatching because it indicates a follow-up to one of the most popular consoles of all time. The number '2' brings excitement when what proceeds it was well received.

I am not convinced that Nintendo is allergic to numbers or that using it is some betrayal of their creative spark.
The Super Gameboy was an add-on. And I trust patterns more than feelings of people (which also are based on the assumption that Oz will have no gimmick). Of course patterns can be broken, but that is in no way proof of another outcome. The Wii U failed mostly because of marketing, and the name only conveyed that it‘s a add-on because the Wii had so many which were named Wii -something-. The Switch hasn’t the same problem.

Last edited:
My stance re: naming is that if Nintendo wants to keep the Switch name, Switch 2 is the most extensible way of doing so for purposes of accessories, cross-platform stuff, etc. Makes it very clear to the lay consumer what a "Switch 2 Pro Controller" and "Switch 2 Carrying Case" are, whereas "Super Switch Pro Controller" and "Super Switch Carrying Case" can read ambiguously as to what "Super" is modifying. This extends to when they start doing revisions - Lite, OLED, etc - as well as when they eventually move on, since it leaves the door open for Switch 3 to continue this scheme, whereas a third Switch doesn't have a clear way to express superiority to "Super"

If this BotW remaster is a thing that’s not exciting. I mean we just got it last gen. I hope there’s something else Zelda for Switch 2 or something else with a BotW remaster.

Back
Top Bottom