• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 254 56.4%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 53 11.8%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 74 16.4%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 29 6.4%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Scott the Woz's video summary of gbe rumors on the lead up to the reveal is instructive.

Another one summarizing Is this one which goes into more detail on some of the arguments back then

We are right in the middle of a similar process now.
The Nintendo NX subreddit is also a great archive of leaks and speculation from this era. I still go back to browse there every once in a while, just to look back at such an insane era with the perspective of hindsight.

I have it on good authority that Final Fantasy XVII will be a Switch 2 exclusive. After 30 years, the curse of VII will be reversed.

God, there were some really crazy rumors flying around in 2016-17
Fans having unrealistic expectations for the upcoming Nintendo console is a time-honored tradition.

This gif was made before the Wii U released.

d519m0k-ae8314f2-e079-41b6-81e1-400f2faeb146.gif

New surprise exclusive footage of GTA 6 for the Switch 2 reveal trailer should happen. That’s the Skyrim of Switch 2. In fact, it’s 5X that. It’s also the rooftop Karen for Switch 2. Should break the Internet.

They need to show it looking good docked and undocked.
Do we really think GTA 6 will hit the Switch 2? I mean the only way i see it happen is a very late port, long after its released on PC eventually.

y’all have too high expectations when it comes to 3rd party support, yet exclusivity. Remember the Switch reveal trailer and what happened later that day? Nintendo fans unironically expected RDR2 to be Switch exclusive. Remember E3 2017? Fans expected that AC Origins would get announced for Switch there.
I don't remember neither. The dreams of RDR2 being on Switch died the moment they showed that trailer. AC Origins? Expectations for any strong Ubi support for Switch were literally zero, especially when Ubi was one of the first to drop PS3/360 support way back in 2014.

Expectations are high for the successor because Nintendo really pushed for a strong third party support for Switch in its lifetime. to the point of publishing GTA games. In the end Switch had a huge library of games way above its technical range. Next logical step after this is the full platform parity.
Do we really think GTA 6 will hit the Switch 2? I mean the only way i see it happen is a very late port, long after its released on PC eventually.
It's no secret that Nintendo funds some of the ports and GTA6 could be the successor's Skyrim/DQ11. AAA releases get fewer each year so there are not many choices for day and date releases. A GTA6 port is much likelier than any modern EA game, Madden included.

I don't remember neither. The dreams of RDR2 being on Switch died the moment they showed that trailer. AC Origins? Expectations for any strong Ubi support for Switch were literally zero, especially when Ubi was one of the first to drop PS3/360 support way back in 2014.

Expectations are high for the successor because Nintendo really pushed for a strong third party support for Switch in its lifetime. to the point of publishing GTA games. In the end Switch had a huge library of games way above its technical range. Next logical step after this is the full platform parity.
These are just two examples, but I see the port-begging start even before this system is announced. With every new thread here, be it about GTA 6, AC Shadows, MH Wilds, even games like Far Cry 7 which are, like the Switch 2, not even publicly revealed, everyone talks about how they will definitely come to the next platform, and I just think people shouldn’t get their hopes up for every single one. The surprise will be even nicer then.

These are just two examples, but I see the port-begging start even before this system is announced. With every new thread here, be it about GTA 6, AC Shadows, MH Wilds, even games like Far Cry 7 which are, like the Switch 2, not even publicly revealed, everyone talks about how they will definitely come to the next platform, and I just think people shouldn’t get their hopes up for every single one. The surprise will be even nicer then.
Eh, a little more optimism won't hurt anyone. And we're as video game fans are used to letdowns. Switch is one console that shocked everyone with every third party announcement, expecting just a little more than that should be absolutely normal.

That said I'm not totally sold on idea of 100% EA support for the next system. That's the only one "i believe it when i see it" thing for me.

DO we know if Sea of Thieves and hifi rush will come to the system?
we know Hi-Fi Rush was planned. but now that the studio is gone, probably isn't coming

Sea of Thieves, I don't see why not. it's a service game, so there's always a good time to release it

Regarding 3rd party support, I'm expecting an explosion of support out of the gate. This is for a number of reasons.

1. The Switch is established as a successful brand. 3rd parties who decided early not to set up a Switch development pipeline and thus "missed" their chance with the Switch very probably / possibily started developing for Switch 2 two or more years ago (aiming at projected specs or with those long rumoured devkits), expecting it to be a similar success. I can't see most pubs or devs ignoring it a second time. It may seem like a publisher is ignoring Nintendo right now, but behind the scenes they've being developing for years - there's such a lag on when these decisions are made and when we become aware of the results.

2. There's an established paradigm that if you want to launch a new series or introduce a new playerbase to an existing franchise then a console launch is a great time to do it. Launch console buyers buy a ton of games, there's (supposed to be) less competition, etc etc. Major 3rd parties will want to introduce the Switch audience (which can be discrete from the PS4/PC audience) to their big franchises.

3. The Switch 2 will be powerful enough to fit into the modern development pipelines of a lot of studios, ie - the pipelines established for PS4/PC games. It's not like the Switch where they would have to outsource the port or dedicate a lot of people to a very cutback version. Ports should not be too difficult.

4. The Switch 2 has been delayed. So whatever delays the planned 3rd party launch software may have had, those have very possibly been matched by the console delay itself. This could lead to a lot more games actually being ready for launch than we typically see.

Add all of that together, and I think people will really be surprised by the amount of 3rd party support at launch. I never thought the same about the original Switch, so this isn't just Nintendo fan hopium, imo.

The question is whether it'll get PS5 exclusive game ports in future, which I wouldn't be hugely optimistic about, but it's impossible to say.

My expectations regarding third party support on Switch are approximately the same they've always been: I think it will be a noticeable improvement over the Switch, but I also expect some weird shenanigans to continue happening here and there.

Like, a guy claiming to come from the future could tell me that the Switch 2 is this very competitive, easy to develop system and yet, I dunno, some Bandai Namco anime games still randomly get late ports or no ports at all and I'd be like "Yeah, that checks out".

Last edited:
I said “GTA6 should happen” as an ideal scenario as a big third party get. Not my “expectation”. I don’t really have that expectation or care that much about third party lol. It should be a big get for Nintendo and a statement piece for them. I would be more than satisfied, seeing all the first party games built from the ground up for this thing. I don’t need to see GTA6. It would be neat for others. Those who want to see big third parties. For me, it would be like a cherry on top.

And it’s a similar time, yes, but it’s also lot different now because we know the most of the specs of the device. Not to mention, this is the Switch successor not the Wii U successor. We have a good idea of what can run on this thing and it’s basically everything.

When did we know the X1 for Switch? Back then, I feel like people were also in denial even after they know the specs. This time tho the specs are above most people‘s expectations. This device is capable of running pretty much every modern game at a good image quality and performance.

Last edited:
Who cares about having high expectations for a video game console, the world is miserable enough let's be excited for one thing in our spare time, I'm sure the grown adults on this forum can handle their emotions if x game doesn't arrive.

I like to imagine this guy is bending over backwards trying to get GTA6 on switch 2

He may just end up being a 'not-so-secret weapon' of sorts in the third party relations arena.
I wouldn't get too fixated about specific games but hiring someone of his stature to head AAA relations is a pretty big signal externally that Nintendo is serious about support

There be good days and bad days when it comes to some of these games either being confirmed or not confirmed for Switch and there will be people trolling during those bad days but the bottom line is Nintendo is sending all the right signals; he wasn't hired to manage Call of Duty only. That stuff is locked in. He was hired to sell 3rd parties on bringing their AAA to Switch/2

I know that this probably isn't the vibe people are going for, but it feels like we're downplaying the work that the third-party relations team that has been putting in throughout the Switch generation when talking about how great Gio Corsi is. Not saying Gio won't accomplish great things as part of the team as they move forward towards the Switch 2, but it isn't like Hannah Foell and others have been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.

Kind of random, but if the KH games are ported to Switch 2, then I presume we’ll be 12-18 away from KHIV’s release

I know that this probably isn't the vibe people are going for, but it feels like we're downplaying the work that the third-party relations team that has been putting in throughout the Switch generation when talking about how great Gio Corsi is. Not saying Gio won't accomplish great things as part of the team as they move forward towards the Switch 2, but it isn't like Hannah Foell and others have been sitting around with their thumbs up their asses.
Nah, Switch did no handheld has done before, it got same gen home console games. Lots of them. Third party relations team really did an amazing job this generation. All left to do about this is achieving full platform parity and Gio Corsi and Shiver acquisition will work towards that. There are just few studios/publishers left to avoid Nintendo, those should be the main goal. EA, Yakuza, From...

Nah, Switch did no handheld has done before, it got same gen home console games. Lots of them. Third party relations team really did an amazing job this generation. All left to do about this is achieving full platform parity and Gio Corsi and Shiver acquisition will work towards that. There are just few studios/publishers left to avoid Nintendo, those should be the main goal. EA, Yakuza, From...
Geo's previous role was to drum up business for Iron galaxy, another for hire port studio with underrated work on Switch.

People focused on his role at Sony but I think the iron galaxy connection was likely an asset as he could connect 3rd parties to his prior studio as well

I don't envy the marketing team for arduous task of figuring out when to start marketing a console that's releasing after the holiday season without totally killing sales for the holiday season. Revealing it in September is probably the play, though.

Geo's previous role was to drum up business for Iron galaxy, another for hire port studio with underrated work on Switch.

People focused on his role at Sony but I think the iron galaxy connection was likely an asset as he could connect 3rd parties to his prior studio as well
Yeah, Iron Galaxy founder Adam Boyes also was a part of "Building the list" campaign. They brought Borderlands 2 to Vita (and several other ports and localizations).

Iron Galaxy is already a prolific port studio for Switch and if Gio uses the studios talents to bring extra games to the system, that would be a win for Nintendo. But I still think Gio's main mission for Nintendo will be convincing the RGG team to bring back Yakuza. And he'll achieve that.

I don't envy the marketing team for arduous task of figuring out when to start marketing a console that's releasing after the holiday season without totally killing sales for the holiday season. Revealing it in September is probably the play, though.
Furukawa seemed to already thrown Switch holiday under the bus when he acknowledged Drake.

it should be fine as long as they stick to smaller games and ports. like if we get a brand new 2D Zelda or Prime 4 this holiday I'm sure there's going to be plenty of "should have waited for the switch 2" or " I'll wait for the switch 2 version" comments

If Yakuza comes to Switch 2, I wonder if they will release them in packages or release them one by one.

I could see them doing a "Yakuza Essentials" bundle where they give you yakuza 0-6 but thats probably too much for one bundle

If Yakuza comes to Switch 2, I wonder if they will release them in packages or release them one by one.

I could see them doing a "Yakuza Essentials" bundle where they give you yakuza 0-6 but thats probably too much for one bundle
Actually they should do 4 bundles
  • Yakuza Kiwami Collection: 0, kiwami 1 and 2
  • Yakuza Essential Collection: 3, 4, and 5 ports
  • Yakuza Kiryu Collection: 6, Gaiden, and Isshin
  • Like a Dragon Continued Collection: LAD7 and LAD8

Probably single releases. If we're lucky they sell 0, Kiwami 1 and 2 seperately and then give us a port of "The Yakuza Remastered Collection" that came out a few years ago which bundled Kiwami 3-5.

Actually they should do 4 bundles
  • Yakuza Kiwami Collection: 0, kiwami 1 and 2
  • Yakuza Essential Collection: 3, 4, and 5 ports
  • Yakuza Kiryu Collection: 6, Gaiden, and Isshin
  • Like a Dragon Continued Collection: LAD7 and LAD8
Honestly, I'd say there's at least merit in selling 0 and maybe the first LAD seperately. Though your version would be great.

There's obviously a lot of potential upside for third party games on the Switch, but I also think people should temper their expectations slightly.

The good news is that unlike the WiiU, Nintendo will be going into the next console generation with a lot of goodwill and developers more open to working on games sooner for the Switch 2 than during the WiiU -> Switch transition. And unlike the Wii, third party games seem to sell well on the Switch, and not just the casual ones (see Resident Evil 6 selling a million copies on the Switch for some reason). With DLSS and also the fact that the Switch 2 will seemingly be closer to a PS4 in its fidelity output, this should allow Nintendo (and, Shiver) the ability to scale down a lot of next-gen games to the system. And we're seeing now how more receptive consoles audiences are to scaled down games, with something like DQ XI S (even though it was a decent downgrade from the PS4 version.) And like many have noted, Nintendo has been beefing up its third-party relationship teams. All of that is really good.

That being said -- I don't think people should be expecting that the Switch 2 will be the lead platform for the largest developers. Yes, developers and publishers that thrive in the AA space should really make the Switch 2 their lead platform (hey, Falcom), but outside of maybe something similar to Rise, I think what you'll see first is a large dump of the easy ports that will do well, like Elden Ring, GTA 5, and FF7 Remake (not sure what the exclusivity deal is there, so maybe that's not possible in 2025). But a lot of developers are still going to target their games for next-gen consoles and that will be a limiting factor for Nintendo no matter what relationships and good will they can foster with third parties. Look, Nintendo made a choice to chase less fidelity and power in the name of portability, innovation, and development costs. I think that was the right move, but that does not mean that aren't trade offs. And many big publishers still will be targeting next-gen only releases over the next few years as we transition out of the cross-gen environment we've been in since the PS5 and Series launched.

The big hurdle that Nintendo is going to face is: are they going to be able to get down-ports of the biggest AAA releases? And will those be able to be released at launch with their next-gen counterparts? I'm still a bit skeptical about this, though I bet that the idea with someone like Shiver is that Nintendo can offer those services to publishers for a game that Nintendo really, really wants on their system, like GTA 6. But I don't even know if that will be possible. And there's only so much that one studio can work on at one time.

Last edited:
As long as the Switch 2 doesn't WiiU flop out the game, a lot more 3rd parties will be on board day 1/year 1. Will everything come? Probably not, will a lot more come? Yeah, especially thanks to the Xbox Series S which forces developers to already develop for a weaker sku.

Incoming long post that maybe should be its own thread and coincidentally pairs well with @praisethesun's post above mine.

What do you think will be the first retail game from any or each of the following publishers on Switch 2? To give examples, I pulled the first retail game I could find on the Nintendo Fandom wiki's software list (example page), using multiple regions and their earliest dates as reference, which means some of these games had different release dates or never released in different regions. I'm not looking for games that will get Switch 2 patches (of which there may be many) unless you think they'll get a new retail box with a Switch 2 label.
  • Ubisoft: Just Dance 2017 (3/3/17)
  • Activision: Skylanders: Imaginators (3/3/17)
  • Square Enix: Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 and I Am Setsuna (3/3/17)
  • Konami: Super Bomberman R (3/3/17)
  • Sega: Puyo Puyo Tetris (3/3/17)
  • Nippon Ichi Software: Disgaea 5 Complete (3/3/17)
  • Nicalis: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (3/17/17)
  • Koei Tecmo: Romance of the the Three Kingdoms XIII (3/30/17)
  • Warner Bros. Interactive: Lego City Undercover (4/4/17)
  • Capcom: Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (5/26/17)
  • Marvelous / XSEED: Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (7/20/17)
  • Bandai Namco: One Piece: Unlimited World RED (8/24/17)
  • 2K Games / Take-Two Interactive: NBA 2K18 (9/15/17)
  • EA: FIFA 18 (9/29/17)
  • Bethesda: DOOM (11/10/17)
  • Rockstar Games / Take-Two Interactive: L.A. Noire (11/14/17)
  • Xbox Game Studios: Minecraft (6/21/18)
  • Nihon Falcom: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (6/28/18)*
  • Blizzard: Diablo III: Eternal Collection (11/2/18)

*This one released earlier in the US on 6/26/18 under NIS America, whose first published retail game on Switch was Disgaea 5 Complete on 5/23/17.

Personally, I expect most major Japanese publishers to bring bigger games to the platform earlier. In particular, I expect Square Enix, Sega, and Capcom to show increased AA or AAA support within the first few months. I think Capcom's early Street Fighter II re-release on Switch provides the biggest potential for a gen-on-gen jump in profile with their first Switch 2 retail release.

I'm interested in seeing how EA and Take-Two Interactive's support changes, though it may stick to annual franchises at the time of their typical annual release. If Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is coming this holiday, could we see something Dragon Age or perhaps Mass Effect Legendary Edition early in the Switch 2's life?

Circumstances have obviously changed for Activision, Blizzard, and Bethesda, so I wonder what the first games (if any) will be from those publishers. Could we see a late release of the latest Call of Duty at launch? Without knowing the launch date of the console or what many publishers have planned for the rest of this year and early 2025, I know it's hard to say anything for sure. For example, will there be a new DOOM game to port? I also wonder what the first Xbox Game Studios game to get released will be and when. Could Sea of Thieves arrive on Switch 2 within the launch window?

I'd love to read any thoughts!

Last edited:
As long as the Switch 2 doesn't WiiU flop out the game, a lot more 3rd parties will be on board day 1/year 1. Will everything come? Probably not, will a lot more come? Yeah, especially thanks to the Xbox Series S which forces developers to already develop for a weaker sku.
I do think the Series S is a big accidental boon to the Switch 2.

Incoming long post that maybe should be its own thread and coincidentally pairs well with @praisethesun's post above mine.

What do you think will be the first retail game from any or each of the following publishers on Switch 2? For reference, I pulled the first retail game I could find on the Nintendo Fandom wiki's software list (example page), using multiple regions and their earliest dates as reference, which means some of these games had different release dates or never released in different regions. I'm not looking for games that will get Switch 2 patches (of which there may be many) unless you think they'll get a new retail box with a Switch 2 label.
  • Ubisoft: Just Dance 2017 (3/3/17)
  • Activision: Skylanders: Imaginators (3/3/17)
  • Square Enix: Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2 and I Am Setsuna (3/3/17)
  • Konami: Super Bomberman R (3/3/17)
  • Sega: Puyo Puyo Tetris (3/3/17)
  • Nippon Ichi Software: Disgaea 5 Complete (3/3/17)
  • Nicalis: The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (3/17/17)
  • Koei Tecmo: Romance of the the Three Kingdoms XIII (3/30/17)
  • Warner Bros. Interactive: Lego City Undercover (4/4/17)
  • Capcom: Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (5/26/17)
  • Marvelous / XSEED: Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (7/20/17)
  • Bandai Namco: One Piece: Unlimited World RED (8/24/17)
  • 2K Games / Take-Two Interactive: NBA 2K18 (9/15/17)
  • EA: FIFA 18 (9/29/17)
  • Bethesda: DOOM (11/10/17)
  • Rockstar Games / Take-Two Interactive: L.A. Noire (11/14/17)
  • Xbox Game Studios: Minecraft (6/21/18)
  • Nihon Falcom: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (6/28/18)*
  • Blizzard: Diablo III: Eternal Collection (11/2/18)

*This one released earlier in the US on 6/26/18 under NIS America, whose first published retail game on Switch was Disgaea 5 Complete on 5/23/17.

Personally, I expect most major Japanese publishers to bring bigger games to the platform earlier. In particular, I expect Square Enix, Sega, and Capcom to show increased AA or AAA support within the first few months. I think Capcom's early Street Fighter II re-release on Switch provides the biggest potential for a gen-on-gen jump in profile with their first Switch 2 retail release.

I'm interested in seeing how EA and Take-Two Interactive's support changes, though it may stick to annual franchises at the time of their typical annual release. If Dragon Age: Dreadwolf is coming this holiday, could we see something Dragon Age or perhaps Mass Effect Legendary Edition early in the Switch 2's life?

Circumstances have obviously changed for Activision, Blizzard, and Bethesda, so I wonder what the first games (if any) will be from those publishers. Could we see a late release of the latest Call of Duty at launch? Without knowing the launch date of the console or what many publishers have planned for the rest of this year and early 2025, I know it's hard to say anything for sure. For example, will there be a new DOOM game to port? I also wonder what the first Xbox Game Studios game to get released will be and when. Could Sea of Thieves arrive on Switch 2 within the launch window?

I'd love to read any thoughts!

I would bet there a certain number of PS4/XS1 releases that publishers were open to having on the Switch but didn't have the right studio or budge to go through the process to do a really well-done downgrade. I bet those come first. Your Elden Rings, your Cyberpunks, maybe an RDR2. Tales of Arise will definitely come. Maybe these will be "tests" in some abstract sense because they could always bomb (and so could the console but I doubt it) but really a lot of these types of games should be pretty straight forward ports and I would imagine they're just free revenue and most will do decently well.

I think the big question is what happens next with the day and date next-gen releases. I would expect some third parties like Capcom to make more of an effort than maybe a Bandai Namco but that's where I'm just not sure yet.

Last edited:
Another factor people need to consider concerning potential third party support for the Switch 2 is that the AAA industry is currently on fire due to the reality setting in for these companies that the profit line doesn't simply keep going up. While some will inevitably keep acting business as usual despite everything around them collapsing, a lot of these companies simply can't afford to ignore the Switch 2. They could before because market conditions were different and the Switch was woefully underpowered. Square is a perfect example of this, "aggressively targeting" the Switch 2.

I've been around long enough to remember the hype cycles for the Wii U and Switch, and while it's true people has unrealistic expectations in terms of third party that lead to disappointment, I've also been around long enough to know that this does feel different. Obviously not everything will come to the Switch 2, but there's enough factors this time around that something like Monster Hunter Wilds or Kingdom Hearts 4 on the Switch 2 doesn't feel impossible.

Back
Top Bottom