• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
Not sure how welcoming people will be to this but Grubb said a source he trusts and has gotten stuff right had told him a while ago that Nintendo would be starting a big marketing campaign for Metroid Prime 4 beginning in May.

I will add that he wasn't sure if this was true now.
I want to believe but it's hard at this point.

Not sure how welcoming people will be to this but Grubb said a source he trusts and has gotten stuff right had told him a while ago that Nintendo would be starting a big marketing campaign for Metroid Prime 4 beginning in May.

given how long ago he implied he got that information, I'm just gonna assume that'll have slipped into late summer at the earliest by this point

What does "big marketing campaign" mean? Imagine if we got commercials during the NBA playoffs. The ECF and WCF, specifically. Maybe hockey too.

I can see this happening, especially if the Switch 2 reveal happens in March. This game has to be cross-gen and I expect they’ll want to showcase the game on the new hardware.

It’s not really an outlandish prediction for Grubb to say MP4 will be revealed in the coming weeks - in fact I’d say it’s more likely than not with the Switch 2 reveal coming up.

I think it’s now completely clear that when we see this game, it will be running on Switch 2. My guess is that it will be a year one title and be at the games blowout.

Personally, i'd say that the last chance that Nintendo would've revealed Prime 4 on/as a Switch (only game) was the September Direct last year.

Ever since, it's simply the better idea to reveal it running on Switch 2, but afterwards reassure it's also coming to Switch as a cross-gen game.

And, honestly, this will be a launch game.

If we're getting a Partners' Showcase this month, that leaves Prime 4 to be featured in a General Direct in... June. By the, or at that moment, the Switch 2 could be revealed, meaning it more than likely a cross gen title

By then Switch 2 even could have already been released.
The odds of the Switch 2 releasing in May is low but currently not zero.

Or it could be early June.

Though it's worth mentioning that we're likely going to hear about Prime 4 when the Switch 2 gets announced or gets a presentation, so it's not worth worrying about too much.

I wonder how different Prime 4 will look and perform in Switch 1 and in the 2.
  • 720p/30fps Undocked, 1080p30fps Docked
  • 1080p/30fps Undocked, 4K/60fps Docked
I would wager Nintendo would try to have Prime 4 be on 60fps on the OG Switch.

This is, of course, all speculation. We don't know how ambitious this game is going to be. But by how much the game has taken, it should certainly be trying to aspire to be bigger than Prime 1 (I'm using it as a goalpost because it's the only Prime game I've played).

I wonder how different Prime 4 will look and perform in Switch 1 and in the 2.
  • 720p/30fps Undocked, 1080p30fps Docked
  • 1080p/30fps Undocked, 4K/60fps Docked
I would wager Nintendo would try to have Prime 4 be on 60fps on the OG Switch.

This is, of course, all speculation. We don't know how ambitious this game is going to be. But by how much the game has taken, it should certainly be trying to aspire to be bigger than Prime 1 (I'm using it as a goalpost because it's the only Prime game I've played).
Genuine question, how many switch titles have had different FPS rates between docked and undocked? Not in terms of framerate stability, it's known that a lot of titles are a bit more unstable when undocked, but i meant outright changed between 60 and 30fps.

Genuine question, how many switch titles have had different FPS rates between docked and undocked? Not in terms of framerate stability, it's known that a lot of titles are a bit more unstable when undocked, but i meant outright changed between 60 and 30fps.
Not many as far as I know. More importantly, only one from Nintendo (Bowser's Fury), and that was a cpu limitation. I don't expect such a limit here

Not many as far as I know. More importantly, only one from Nintendo (Bowser's Fury), and that was a cpu limitation. I don't expect such a limit here
Assuming that Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake as Sony and let the CPU be the bottleneck, I agree. Even so, I don't believe Nintendo will have such drastic changes between modes outside of resolution and some small details like shadow and texture quality.

30fps for a Metroid Prime game would be awful, we should never get this.
And it's Retro Studios, obviously they'll tweak what's necessary to achieve 60fps even on current Switch even undocked.
At worst it should look similar to Prime 1 Remastered or just a bit worse in resolution / graphical fidelity, depending on how much more ambitious it is regarding gameplay options, pace, environments size etc

Here are my final MP4 performance predictions. Both are dynamic resolution, Switch 2 version assumes no DLSS.

Switch 1 Undocked - 720p 30fps
Switch 1 Docked - 1080p 30fps

Switch 2 Undocked - 1080p 60fps
Switch 2 Docked - 1440p 60fps

MP4 being promoted from May onward easily fits with console reveal in March & release in July/September.
It could also mean that once the console releases in May they start a flood of commercials starting on launch day. That's how they handled BoTW. Once launch day hit all their commercials ramped up.

If we're really only getting this thing in 2025 I think I just want to stop hearing about it for awhile then. Just so over it rn if it isn't out this year.

IMG-2733.jpg

Last edited:

We have some new Amiibo restocks happening from a retailer with stock very similar to Amazon, their stock already includes SMB Peach, all of the FE ones, Dread, AC/Mario Sports cards, etc. These aren't new; they're stuff Amazon also has that nobody is really buying, lol. (Making that clear in case this ends up being like the Greek Retailer, whose stock wasn't like Amazon's.)

Considering Nate has said that it's looking like we could get a reveal before GDC, which starts on March 18th, I think it is very likely the US Zelda restocks on March 8th relate to a Switch 2 reveal. These new restocks don't have exact dates, just a month. A friend is going to go there in a couple of days, so if there are any updates, I'll edit this post or make a new one. To make it clear, these are official shipments.

March 2024:
  • Pichu (Smash)
  • Ridley (Smash)
  • R.O.B. (Smash)
  • Duck Hunt (Smash)

The thing that's interesting about this is that it's all Amiibo there weren't in the August 2023 Smash Restock.

May 2024:
  • Princess Daisy (Smash)
  • Wolf (Smash)
  • Mr. Game and Watch (Smash)
  • Princess Peach (Smash)
  • Ness (Smash)
  • Wedding Peach and Bowser (Odyssey)
  • OoT Link
  • 8-Bit Link

The thing that's weird about this wave is that they're all Amiibo that have already been restocked in other countries. Whether or not that's important, I don't know. I find these two months interesting times to restock.

Considering the Sora Amiibo comes out next week, I don't know what these would even be for. Interest in the line will decrease after Sora releases, so why bother reprinting them after the fact? On a somewhat related note, the stuff with the Greek retailer is still so weird to me. I have no idea why they were given pretty much everything in December. Maybe they're still holding onto some of that stock to put out there when the time is right? I don't know. I still find it interesting that we had 3 Amiibo restocked on January 26th in Greece, which was Terry, Bayo, and Samus Returns: Samus. Terry and Bayo clearly relate to the Sora Amiibo, with the 16-day average falling in line perfectly. I'm hopeful the Samus Returns: Samus Amiibo does end up relating to Prime 4 or something during next week's Direct, though if it's a Partner Showcase, it won't be there. I did say last November that the Direct would be next week as that would fall in line with the 16-day average the Amiibo presented, though at this point, I don't know.

The pattern clearly isn't as concrete as I thought it was, at least when restocks happen outside of the US, UK, AUZ, and Japan. That's why I'm confident that the March 8th restocks mean something. Sellers outside of those regions, though, like Artswift, have been getting so much stock from Nintendo of Smash and Mario Amiibo that it's kind of ridiculous, so I do heavily apologize if all of this just ends up being nothing.

Very interesting timing. Clearly, with the Switch 2 being delayed to Q1 2025, it isn't relating to the Switch 2, though considering these restocks were first listed in early February, I'm assuming they've been making plans about what they can do about filling in the gaps they made in the year by delaying the console. That honestly could explain why many regions have been getting them at completely random times. Nintendo probably sets things up, and then they have to postpone those plans. I'm not trying to make an excuse for what happened in December/January, however.

I think this on top of the restocks, a General Direct in May focused on Switch 1 games, and then something in June or later relating to the Switch 2 lines up pretty nicely.

Of course, don't get your hopes up. But I think that this is interesting to note.

Very interesting timing. Clearly, with the Switch 2 being delayed to Q1 2025, it isn't relating to the Switch 2, though considering these restocks were first listed in early February, I'm assuming they've been making plans about what they can do about filling in the gaps they made in the year by delaying the console. That honestly could explain why many regions have been getting them at completely random times. Nintendo probably sets things up, and then they have to postpone those plans. Not trying to make an excuse for what happened in December/January, however.

I think this on top of the restocks, a General Direct in May focused on Switch 1 games, and then something in June or later relating to the Switch 2 lines up pretty nicely.

Of course, don't get your hopes up. But I think that timing alongside the restocks is interesting to note.

Please be true. Shadowdrop Prime 2 (and 3 if possible), and then if next gen is really in 2025 please give us Prime 4 this year for Switch.

Grubb is VERY shaky regarding accurate timing though.

Ok then, but that doesn't change the rest of the post. All signs point to Smash 6 being Sakurai's next project. There's no reason for Nintendo have Sakurai work on anything else, nor is there much to gain from doing Ultimate Deluxe when most average joes will just play their existing copy of Ultimate on their Switch 2s.

It may not be Ultimate Deluxe, but unless Sakurai does a complete reboot of the franchise (I think this is unlikely), Ultimate will likely be used as a base, like Smash 4 was used as a base for Ultimate. He's mentioned that was the only way that Smash Bros. Ultimate, including 'Everyone is here' was even remotely a possibility, was because of being able to avoid starting completely from scratch.

With that said, if Sakurai moves forward with Smash Ultimate being the base for Smash 6, we might see a similar timeline from development to reveal.

SSB Ultimate:
Game Design Plan Finished: Dec 2015
Game Development Start: Feb 2016
Game Teased: March 2018
Gameplay / Everyone is Here! Reveal: June 2018
Game Released: December 2018

SSB6 (Speculation);
Game Design Plan Finished: Dec 2022?
Game Development Start: Feb 2023?
Potential Game Teased: Spring 2025 (coincide with the Switch 2 launch?)
Gameplay Reveal: Summer 2025
Game Release: Fall/Winter 2025

If the rumors about Switch 2 releasing in Q1 2025 end up being true, then based on this speculative timeline Switch 2 could see Smash Bros 6 on it within the same year and by the holidays, and I think that's pretty huge.

I’m sure this has already been stated, but I don’t want to read through all the pages to find it.

Is there a possibility the 2025 rumours could be misinformation spread by Nintendo to combat the leaks and rumours lately? That way when all the hype is dead, they can go BAM! and reveal it in March for a release later this year.

I’m probably just extremely delusional 💀

It may not be Ultimate Deluxe, but unless Sakurai does a complete reboot of the franchise (I think this is unlikely), Ultimate will likely be used as a base, like Smash 4 was used as a base for Ultimate. He's mentioned that was the only way that Smash Bros. Ultimate, including 'Everyone is here' was even remotely a possibility, was because of being able to avoid starting completely from scratch.

With that said, if Sakurai moves forward with Smash Ultimate being the base for Smash 6, we might see a similar timeline from development to reveal.

SSB Ultimate:
Game Design Plan Finished: Dec 2015
Game Development Start: Feb 2016
Game Teased: March 2018
Gameplay / Everyone is Here! Reveal: June 2018
Game Released: December 2018

SSB6 (Speculation);
Game Design Plan Finished: Dec 2022?
Game Development Start: Feb 2023?
Potential Game Teased: Spring 2025 (coincide with the Switch 2 launch?)
Gameplay Reveal: Summer 2025
Game Release: Fall/Winter 2025

If the rumors about Switch 2 releasing in Q1 2025 end up being true, then based on this speculative timeline Switch 2 could see Smash Bros 6 on it within the same year and by the holidays, and I think that's pretty huge.
Throw in Animal Crossing to be released sometime from May through September 2025 and we have the most stellar year

Is there a possibility the 2025 rumours could be misinformation spread by Nintendo to combat the leaks and rumours lately?
This is a relatively common refrain, but there's little to no evidence that companies spread "fake leaks" to weed out sources

I’m sure this has already been stated, but I don’t want to read through all the pages to find it.

Is there a possibility the 2025 rumours could be misinformation spread by Nintendo to combat the leaks and rumours lately? That way when all the hype is dead, they can go BAM! and reveal it in March for a release later this year.

I’m probably just extremely delusional 💀
No

the switch was the first console i ever bought by my own money in 2019 the best gaming experiences i ever had was on it with breath of wild and my favourite game of all time super mario odyssey.
my original switch was stolen in a train station in last august with my copy of mario odyssey and before that my brother sold our ps4 i have nothing to play on l was saving to buy a switch 2 near launch time so i can replay my own switch games on it and of course i was even more exited to finally play next gen 3d super mario.
there is a good chance that i will start my obligatory military service in next february and it will last a whole year.
i am disappointed very disappointed

Last night i read the news, shrugged - the console still hasn't been revealed, so i don't really care - and went to sleep, and today i'm dumbfounded by some of the reactions i've found. One that sticks out like a sore thumb for me is DF's John's "What is even going on with Nintendo?"

Two thirds of the game console industry are on fire, we've seen guiness worthy layoff numbers in the space of a single month, and the thing that makes people react the hardest is the delay of a console that hasn't even been revealed yet, from the only one of the big three that is actually doing well.

Jesus fuck.

Hello, I am only here to voice my disappointment because I wasn't able to in the:

"I'm disappointed that Switch 2 might release in 2025" - thread

That is all, carry on. I went through the official channels now. I'm one of you now.

Last edited:

Hello, I am only here to voice my disapointment because I wasn't able to in:

The "I'm disappointed that Switch 2 might release in 2025" thread​

That is all, carry on. I'm one of you now but went through the official channels.

I am here to second my displeasure and disappointment that Switch 2 might come out in 2025

It blows and I understand if some of you are big chilling, but it legitimately made me upset lmao

i bought 1st Gen Switch back in 2017 because Breath of the Wild was launch title and i had 360 hours and completed the story near to TOTK Release date>

I do not mind waiting until 2025 , 1st party launch titles is very very very important for old nintendo fans like me

Two thirds of the game console industry are on fire, we've seen guiness worthy layoff numbers in the space of a single month, and the thing that makes people react the hardest is the delay of a console that hasn't even been revealed yet, from the only one of the big three that is actually doing well.
I think what happened is that after everything else, the console delay was a bit of a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of thing.

I am here to second my displeasure and disappointment that Switch 2 might come out in 2025

It blows and I understand if some of you are big chilling, but it legitimately made me upset lmao
I honestly get it, i'm also looking forward to it, and i can't wait to see what Nintendo does with that kind of horsepower.

They had a hard time adapting with the last jump, or so people says, but their first commercial HD title ever, Nintendo Land, was incredibly pretty even if, tech wise, is kinda primitive for the hardware as i've read in some circles.

nintendo_land-6.jpg

They have the same approach to tech jumps as Namco had back then for Ridge Racer 6 (i've only seen that one on videos, i NEED to play it), and it works. Can't wait to see what they do on the Succ.

I think what happened is that after everything else, the console delay was a bit of a "straw that broke the camel's back" kind of thing.
Could be, it still upsets me, the rest of stuff has seen tepid reactions at most, compared to what i found this morning on Twitter.

Moreso after going through so many Nintendo console rushed launches. This gen, they have the leeway to take their time, just let them.

Last edited:
In one sense, it's clearly not the big a deal for me in terms of gaming as my PS5/Gamepass backlog will keep me going easily till then, plus I will be tempted to get the likes of Super Mario Wonder (my waiting for Switch 2 versions stance is softening with the endless delays in this ever happening).
However, I am really disappointed, I do find the hardware outdated, I'm fed up of crappy low resolution textures, I'm no longer prepared to play games like Xenoblade 3 where the hardware is limiting the visual enjoyment of the game.
I want new Nintendo hardware as soon as possible and AT LEAST a year is quite a bummer, 8 year generations with hybrid hardware is not great at all.
No way will I be playing Metroid Prime 4 on the old Switch, bah!

Denying is a stage of grief, which also includes denying your feelings.

I said my peace, back to the lurking stands.
FWIW, I don't think there is anything particularly condescending about the phrase "hate to break it to you all." The tone of your post makes it clear that it's a tongue-in-cheek way of starting off your explanation.

I think your reasoning is sound. I used to think a Smash Ultimate: Deluxe was a sure thing but now with this latest news of a delay, I'm rethinking my entire belief about there being a lengthy crossgen period between Switch and the new device.

Seems like Smash 6 development would just be heavily accelerated because of Ultimate. Perhaps the major new gimmick/controller input method of the new device is also Smash 6's new gimmick? The possibilities there are endless.

I had no idea Ultimate went from concept to release in less than four years. Even with using Smash 4 as a base that is insane. Of course now if Smash 6 isn't in the launch window I'll have you to blame for giving me hope. 😜

I am more excited about the reveal of the switch 2 then the release of the console, to think that next month a reveal was looking so likely but recently Nintendo have delayed the release is disappointing. Now, I won't buy the switch 2 for at least two years after release. I don't buy consoles day 1, switch was the only time I did but I have so many games to play that I can wait. I still don't have a PS5 or XBSX so fine to wait

Last night i read the news, shrugged - the console still hasn't been revealed, so i don't really care - and went to sleep, and today i'm dumbfounded by some of the reactions i've found. One that sticks out like a sore thumb for me is DF's John's "What is even going on with Nintendo?"

Jesus fuck.
It's not complicated, the Switch hardware will be positively ancient before it's replaced, the replacement will arrive years later than expected and it looks exactly like the bungling of another hardware transition, losing a lot of momentum.
it doesn't make sense in any way that they would choose to wait so long, so something is up so "What is going on with Nintendo?" seems a fair question.

Back
Top Bottom