• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
It's not complicated, the Switch hardware will be positively ancient before it's replaced, the replacement will arrive years later than expected and it looks exactly like the bungling of another hardware transition, losing a lot of momentum.
it doesn't make sense in any way that they would choose to wait so long, so something is up so "What is going on with Nintendo?" seems a fair question.
But it's not actually losing momentum, and we don't know what Nintendo has in store for this year yet. Sure, what is coming is a partner direct, but if the Succ is really revealed in March, there's no way it doesn't come with a batch of cross gen titles, or at least Switch titles you will be able to play upgraded on your Succ, even if they're just 3DS or Wii U ports.

Nintendo has been really smart at managing the Switch through seven years, they're not going to fumble it now, plus, and i know we don't align on this, its games still look great, so it's not that much of a tragedy.

Switch isn't a Wii, and we've reached a point on tech where games aren't ugly anymore unless they're horribly optimized.

If only there were other games, platforms, existing games, massive backlogs, more games coming out this year. Unfortunately nothing is releasing and all old games have been deleted so with Switch 2 delayed, :(

It's not complicated, the Switch hardware will be positively ancient before it's replaced, the replacement will arrive years later than expected and it looks exactly like the bungling of another hardware transition, losing a lot of momentum.
it doesn't make sense in any way that they would choose to wait so long, so something is up so "What is going on with Nintendo?" seems a fair question.
That "ancient" technology has sold ~14 million units along with ~150 million units of software in the last 3 quarters, which is absolutely insane for how late into the systems life it is. Nintendo still has insane momentum, people trying to compare this to the end of the Wii are just letting their doomer show.

If only there were other games, platforms, existing games, massive backlogs, more games coming out this year. Unfortunately nothing is releasing and all old games have been deleted so with Switch 2 delayed, :(
People always say this kind of thing when there are massive delays for things, for example, but it's kind of beside the point - I'm not excited to play a game, I'm excited to see specific games, or in this case see a specific piece of hardware on which games are published. Being able to play [X RPG] I didn't get around to from 15 years ago doesn't change that, ha.

(Never mind that my current Switch is 7 years old now and I don't particularly want it to die before the next generation - I'm not buying another Switch months before the Switch 2 releases).

Every time Nintendo bungled hardware, it's almost always due to a hardware decision
  • N64 - carts
  • GCN - mini disc's
  • Wii U - game pad
  • 3DS - 3D screen (not really, but this did increase costs at a time where people moved to mobile)
I'm not certain there has been a time where "taking too long" was a more serious issue. There's the wii u, but given how that was handled, that would have failed anyway

I'm just tired of Nintendo delaying shit, Zelda and now Switch 2.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
„A wafe of destruction enters the earth as Nintendo fans destroy public and not public properties in rage because Nintendo delayed Switch 2. Please stay in your homes and wait for evacuation, help is on the way.“

People always say this kind of thing when there are massive delays for things, for example, but it's kind of beside the point - I'm not excited to play a game, I'm excited to see specific games, or in this case see a specific piece of hardware on which games are published. Being able to play [X RPG] I didn't get around to from 15 years ago doesn't change that, ha.

(Never mind that my current Switch is 7 years old now and I don't particularly want it to die before the next generation - I'm not buying another Switch months before the Switch 2 releases).
Honestly it's the gaming equivalent of "we've got McDonalds at home." Yeah, sure, in a purely utilitarian sense they're right in that we all have massive backlogs, but new and exciting things - especially ones as big as a new Nintendo console - are still really fun to have, and it's OK to be disappointed when they just keep getting pushed back endlessly.

Also just frustrates more when we're not even talking a 'short' time period here, but 8 years. Like, when does "we have a backlog at home," end and "actually this is getting a little long in the tooth," begin? A decade? Two? More? Given the size of backlogs, it might as well be 'never.'

It's a phrase best used as advice than an argument, because frankly it just comes off as condescending and dismissive when used as the latter.

Every time Nintendo bungled hardware, it's almost always due to a hardware decision
  • N64 - carts
  • GCN - mini disc's
  • Wii U - game pad
  • 3DS - 3D screen (not really, but this did increase costs at a time where people moved to mobile)
I'm not certain there has been a time where "taking too long" was a more serious issue. There's the wii u, but given how that was handled, that would have failed anyway

Some how I don't think the GameCube would've magically sold way better with full sized discs.

That was the last of the problems they had with that system, if you needed more data for a game, really pressing a 5 cent disc was no big deal. Optical media was dirt, dirt cheap, there's a reason why even a game magazine could ship game demos on discs for a $3-$5 magazine issue, the disc cost virtually nothing.

The reveal in march:

Furukawa says "The Nintendo Switch is now approaching the midpoint of the second half of its lifecycle."

At this point I'm expecting fall 2025, 8gb ram, 64gb storage, low quality lcd, and third parties still being hesitant.

Hard for me to have any type of positive outlook when we know so little and "things change" on a dime in this industry.

Delaying the system because software isn't ready makes me feel like Nintendo is struggling with the spec bump and dev efficiency due to it much like they did with Wii to Wii U. We could be in for a nose dive here. I damn sure hope not.

and third parties still being hesitant.
Third parties in early 2026: "The system is still too new, we aren't releasing more titles because we didn't have enough time to prepare software".

Nintendo, who first told them the details about the Switch successor in like 2022:
tenor.gif

Delaying the system because software isn't ready makes me feel like Nintendo is struggling with the spec bump and dev efficiency due to it much like they did with Wii to Wii U. We could be in for a nose dive here. I damn sure hope not.

Even switch was delayed and didn’t have a big graphic bump from Wii U. Nintendo surely wants to have the big names on year 1 and it’s pretty common that their big names (Mario 3D, smash, Zelda, Metroid, ecc) get delayed because they want improve the quality of the product.

I don’t expect a new game every month on switch 2 but with all their teams and partners focusing only on one hardware we won’t have drought time like in the past. :)

I wasn't even mad at the ToTK delay. I'm not mad at Switch 2 being delayed per say, but at the fact that I've been on this roller coaster for YEARS now.
I'm mad at leakers and insiders hyping stuff up in 2022, 2023 and now 2024. All for NOTHING.

I understand a delayed console with games on launch is better than an early console with no games.
But I genuinely don't even care at this point. I just want this to be over.

I personally don't believe it has anything to do with the specs. still think it's more of assuring a steady supply of games

At this point I'm expecting fall 2025, 8gb ram, 64gb storage, low quality lcd, and third parties still being hesitant.

Hard for me to have any type of positive outlook when we know so little and "things change" on a dime in this industry.

I guess the positive to that might be that Nintendo may have to rely more on 3rd parties and as such court them more aggressively.

Sony/MS can barely even release 1st party exclusives, those systems are almost entirely carried by 3rd parties in a way that previous Playstation/XBox consoles were not.

For Nintendo it may not actually be that big of a change, but they might have to kinda try to go back to their NES/SNES days ... a lot of times in the NES/SNES era (believe or not, for people here too young to have grown up then) 3rd parties would often carry those systems even through the holiday seasons.

I wasn't even mad at the ToTK delay. I'm not mad at Switch 2 being delayed per say, but at the fact that I've been on this roller coaster for YEARS now.
I'm mad at leakers and insiders hyping stuff up in 2022, 2023 and now 2024. All for NOTHING.

I understand a delayed console with games on launch is better than an early console with no games.
But I genuinely don't even care at this point. I just want this to be over.

Hard to disagree.

I understand people like getting info "early". I appreciated hearing about Metroid Prime Remaster, for example, as I knew to wait for a replay. I also realize insiders get a lot of unfair shit, the partner direct delay being a prime example.

But 95% of these extreme reactions are directly related to insiders playing telephone with leaks, that in itself is secondhand information at best. I'm not trying to throw any shade their way. That is just the reality of the situation.

Officially, Nintendo started this generation out saying Switch would have a ten year lifecycle.

At one point that most likely included a Pro, which we only knew about because of insiders. Then that was presumably cancelled due to multiple reasons in relation to the pandemic, included the OG Switch doing bonker (unforseen) numbers.

Then we got feed 2023 for Switch 2. Revised to 2024. And meanwhile Nintendo has officially said nothing. In fact, their comments to investors suggested the opposite.

Now we are looking at Q1 2025 "at the earliest", which puts Switch at year 8. Which perfectly lines up with the original Switch ten year lifecycle answer to investors.

Hell, for all we know Nintendo could still feel like they are ahead of their internal schedule. OG switch is going to surpass hardware and software projections again, after all.

But I think the moral of the story is maybe we should, uh.... Listen to what the actual company is saying instead of resting all our hopes and dreams on secondhand information.

Hard to disagree.

I understand people like getting info "early". I appreciated hearing about Metroid Prime Remaster, for example, as I knew to wait for a replay. I also realize insiders get a lot of unfair shit, the partner direct delay being a prime example.

But 95% of these extreme reactions are directly related to insiders playing telephone with leaks, that in itself is secondhand information at best. I'm not trying to throw any shade their way. That is just the reality of the situation.

Officially, Nintendo started this generation out saying Switch would have a ten year lifecycle.

At one point that most likely included a Pro, which we only knew about because of insiders. Then that was presumably cancelled due to multiple reasons in relation to the pandemic, included the OG Switch doing bonker (unforseen) numbers.

Then we got feed 2023 for Switch 2. Revised to 2024. And meanwhile Nintendo has officially said nothing. In fact, their comments to investors suggested the opposite.

Now we are looking at Q1 2025 "at the earliest", which puts Switch at year 8. Which perfectly lines up with the original Switch ten year lifecycle answer to investors.

Hell, for all we know Nintendo could still feel like they are ahead of their internal schedule. OG switch is going to surpass hardware and software projections again, after all.

But I think the moral of the story is maybe we should, uh.... Listen to what the actual company is saying instead of resting all our hopes and dreams on secondhand information.
like i said nothing's 100% confirmed until the company officially announces it

I mean, if I just listened to what Nintendo said, I would be no happier - 10 years was laughably optimistic for the console, and it remains so now.

So if the system's launch was delayed from their internal plans, what would happen to any cross-gen releases they hypothetically had planned for this holiday season? Released on Switch 1 with Switch 2 versions releasing later? Or delayed alongside the system?

So if the system's launch was delayed from their internal plans, what would happen to any cross-gen releases they hypothetically had planned for this holiday season? Released on Switch 1 with Switch 2 versions releasing later? Or delayed alongside the system?
We're all just guessing. Using Prime 4 as an example

Maybe it was always planned to be the Switch 1's "swan song" with no Switch 2 version planned, in that case the delay changes nothing.

Maybe it planned to be cross gen and still will be and is now delayed to launch in March 2025 with the Switch 2.

Or it maybe it was planned to be cross gen but will now launch only on Switch 1 this holiday. The Switch 2 version will come down the road either as a successor launch day/window/year title.

Maybe the current Switch 2 version of Prime 4 will be canceled and Retro will take some more time to make a definitive version with any dlc on the cart day 1 and even better graphics.

Ultimately we have no idea for this or any other game. Until we get some actual info people are just wishcasting.

I mean, if I just listened to what Nintendo said, I would be no happier - 10 years was laughably optimistic for the console, and it remains so now.

I would say there is a difference between being unhappy about the length of time between consoles compared to being mad at a console no longer hitting a date range that was masqueraded as reality, when in fact it was information based on internal projections that are almost always subject to change.

I would say there is a difference between being unhappy about the length of time between consoles compared to being mad at a console no longer hitting a date range that was masqueraded as reality, when in fact it was information based on internal projections that are almost always subject to change.
That's fair, though I think there's a lot of cross-bleed going on here in that regard. People aren't strictly mad that the projected date range isn't being hit. They're annoyed because they now have to wait even longer after having already (in their view) waited long enough.

That folks were offered a hypothetical (if extremely tentative) light at the end of the tunnel is just a bit of fuel for that particular fire - this year would already feel well overdue for new hardware even if we'd heard nothing from anyone, I think.

Honestly I'm good either way. Not playing games much anymore. This frees up time for other things. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Hard to disagree.

I agree. People have been hyping up new hardware imminently releasing since 2019 with the Pro, then 2022 with the Switch 2. All just based on mostly wish-driven speculation.

I agree. People have been hyping up new hardware imminently releasing since 2019 with the Pro, then 2022 with the Switch 2. All just based on mostly wish-driven speculation.
For 2024 it is different, we have had Gamescom rumor, just remakes launching, Insider Trading and custom data suggesting it. If March reveal doesn’t end up true or a new CMB-CPU revision turns up I‘ll be more inclined to believe in 2025, until then I‘ll remain critical.

That's fair, though I think there's a lot of cross-bleed going on here in that regard. People aren't strictly mad that the projected date range isn't being hit. They're annoyed because they now have to wait even longer after having already (in their view) waited long enough.

That folks were offered a hypothetical (if extremely tentative) light at the end of the tunnel is just a bit of fuel for that particular fire - this year would already feel well overdue for new hardware even if we'd heard nothing from anyone, I think.

I agree people would still be annoyed/unhappy/upset at a Switch 2 not coming this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not happy about it myself. But it's whatever mostly cause I feel my expectations were in check.

But that hypothetical light at the end of the tunnel is fueling the fire for some extreme downfalls and takes that probably would not have happened otherwise.

It's a combination of some fans needing to reflect on how deep their connection is to company/product, but also insiders who need to be more responsible with their messaging and sharing of information.

I do believe there are some insiders who have high standards and considerations for sharing said information. Some of which frequent these very forums.

But then we have people trying to one up that information or piggybacking on top of that, which just leads to misinformation and then absolute chaos in certain scenarios like this.

That "ancient" technology has sold ~14 million units along with ~150 million units of software in the last 3 quarters, which is absolutely insane for how late into the systems life it is. Nintendo still has insane momentum, people trying to compare this to the end of the Wii are just letting their doomer show.
Things being comparable doesn't mean they're the same.
Could you honestly say that you believe it's better for Switch 2 to arrive in 2025 rather than 2024?

Things being comparable doesn't mean they're the same.
Could you honestly say that you believe it's better for Switch 2 to arrive in 2025 rather than 2024?
I believe it's better for Nintendo to get the launch right with a strong library of titles day 1/year 1 than to launch 6 months earlier with a barren line up. Nintendo can't afford to fuck up the Switch 2's launch, because there is nothing else to fall back on this time.

I also think pragmatically a ~6 month delay is really minor all things considered. If the hardware has a massive bozo fuck up problem like the WiiU gamepad it wouldn't have been saved coming out 6 months earlier.

But it's not actually losing momentum, and we don't know what Nintendo has in store for this year yet. Sure, what is coming is a partner direct, but if the Succ is really revealed in March, there's no way it doesn't come with a batch of cross gen titles, or at least Switch titles you will be able to play upgraded on your Succ, even if they're just 3DS or Wii U ports.

Nintendo has been really smart at managing the Switch through seven years, they're not going to fumble it now, plus, and i know we don't align on this, its games still look great, so it's not that much of a tragedy.

Switch isn't a Wii, and we've reached a point on tech where games aren't ugly anymore unless they're horribly optimized.
Sales in millions
2021 - 28
2022 - 23
2023 - 21
2024 - 15.5 (Forecast)

I don't see how it's not losing momentum, just because sales haven't dropped off a cliff yet.

I believe it's better for Nintendo to get the launch right with a strong library of titles day 1/year 1 than to launch 6 months earlier with a barren line up. Nintendo can't afford to fuck up the Switch 2's launch, because there is nothing else to fall back on this time.
Of course it's better, they've messed up by not having titles ready by now though (with several studios not having released anything for years).

Do what I do and work through your backlog instead. I've still got Super Mario Wonder, Arkham City, Arkham Knights, and a dozen movies impatiently tapping their toes at me...

And I'll be genuinely surprised if the Switch 2 doesn't hit store shelves by the end of 2024.

Famiboards in March when Nintendo says the Switch successor is coming and mention nothing else about it

GFcLh1IXgAANkUr

(I'm Koopa)

Last edited:
Why is everybody expecting a March reveal, outside of what "insiders" with a dubious track record said? If the console is launching late 24/early '25, revealing it in late Summer (without overshadowing Spring and Summer Switch games) makes more sense.

Last edited:
But is everybody expecting a March reveal, outside of what "insiders" with a dubious track record said? If the console is launching late 24/early '25, revealing it in late Summer (without overshadowing Spring and Summer Switch games) makes more sense.
I mean, isn't something supposed to happen in March? That will clear up this whole "Console delayed"-situation?

But is everybody expecting a March reveal, outside of what "insiders" with a dubious track record said? If the console is launching late 24/early '25, revealing it in late Summer (without overshadowing Spring and Summer Switch games) makes more sense.
natedrake and necrolipe have a good track record. wanting a 2025 launch isn't the same as confirming it

I completely agree. They will wait as much as possible in order to avoid harming Switch sales. I honestly would not be surprised if we do not have a reveal this year. Remember: Bloomberg stated March 2025 at the earliest release date-wise.

We're all just guessing. Using Prime 4 as an example

Maybe it was always planned to be the Switch 1's "swan song" with no Switch 2 version planned, in that case the delay changes nothing.

Maybe it planned to be cross gen and still will be and is now delayed to launch in March 2025 with the Switch 2.

Or it maybe it was planned to be cross gen but will now launch only on Switch 1 this holiday. The Switch 2 version will come down the road either as a successor launch day/window/year title.

Maybe the current Switch 2 version of Prime 4 will be canceled and Retro will take some more time to make a definitive version with any dlc on the cart day 1 and even better graphics.

Ultimately we have no idea for this or any other game. Until we get some actual info people are just wishcasting.
Cross-gen games get released on Switch 1 and when you pop them into Switch 2 a downloadable patch unlocks the extra bells and whistles that the new system's power provides

Back
Top Bottom