• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 192 57.8%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 24 7.2%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 27 8.1%

• Total voters
Oh, I don't think we'll ever fully go back to the old style. I'm thinking we get something more like New Leaf with the Happy Home Paradise customization options and New Horizons management features sprinkled in. Let the neighbors have input on the decisions you make and actually request stuff.
It’s a shame. I really like the “being a member of the community” vibe of early AC, where the world just kind of happens to you. I get that there’s an inherently limited appeal to that, and I‘m fine with just “settling” for more robust villager interactions and personalities, but that aspect will always feel like a bit of a loss.

(also Team Animal Crossing Hourly Soundtracks Should Not Have Synths, they’re distracting me from my peaceful daily life no matter how good they are, Nintendo).

Unpopular opinion: I hope for the next Animal Crossing that it goes more back to the roots. I just want to be a normal villager again like everyone else. I don‘t want to be a Island Owner or the mayor. I don‘t want the possibility to transform the village, city, island, whatever. They should focus more on different villager personalities and add the mean ones back in that get kinder to you the more you interact with them. Also I don‘t care for all this decorating if I can‘t interact with it. Every time I finished decorating my house, there was no reason for me to change it, because it didn‘t really had an effect what it looked like, because in the game there is not really a reason to be in your house.
I had no problem with decorating my house and island, however; I do think there should be a limit. I have seen some islands in the dream suite that were so fully decorated with items, that it kept my game running slow, so I didn't use the dream suite that often.

Would I want to go back to the Village set-up, instead of getting on an island? Yes, definitely. I miss Porter at the train station, and the train that goes by sometimes. That felt so cozy, that New Horizons missed. I miss Tortimer Island and it's minigames. Also agree on the mean villagers part. I'd like to have mean villagers, that become more friendly over time, but like if they have the Cranky personality, they should stay Cranky and mean. Now that Personality type is not what it used to be.

And I'd like there to be new holidays, like it's okay to have the normal holidays in there, but bring back the holidays of Wild World, like Bright Nights. And the fishing and bug contests should not be per season, but per month again. That was like a big let down in New Horizons.

All that, and my biggest wish for the series: have the same camera perspective as Splatoon, and go away from the "Rolling Log" effect. Have it a 3D environment, like how they made the Animal Crossing track in Mario Kart 8.

I actually don’t mind the Cranky villagers not being all that mean. I do kind of mind them all being reduced to Old Guys, though. They can’t all be crotchety and old!

I had no problem with decorating my house and island, however; I do think there should be a limit. I have seen some islands in the dream suite that were so fully decorated with items, that it kept my game running slow, so I didn't use the dream suite that often.

Would I want to go back to the Village set-up, instead of getting on an island? Yes, definitely. I miss Porter at the train station, and the train that goes by sometimes. That felt so cozy, that New Horizons missed. I miss Tortimer Island and it's minigames. Also agree on the mean villagers part. I'd like to have mean villagers, that become more friendly over time, but like if they have the Cranky personality, they should stay Cranky and mean. Now that Personality type is not what it used to be.

And I'd like there to be new holidays, like it's okay to have the normal holidays in there, but bring back the holidays of Wild World, like Bright Nights. And the fishing and bug contests should not be per season, but per month again. That was like a big let down in New Horizons.

All that, and my biggest wish for the series: have the same camera perspective as Splatoon, and go away from the "Rolling Log" effect. Have it a 3D environment, like how they made the Animal Crossing track in Mario Kart 8.
I am with you on everything except for the camera perspective. I really like the rolling log

I think NH had the right of it on the camera perspective: letting you choose between the old style top-down camera and the rolling world angle. I wouldn’t mind them adding an additional, closer camera angle for those interested, though. They already experimented with that first person view for photos, after all.

I actually don’t mind the Cranky villagers not being all that mean. I do kind of mind them all being reduced to Old Guys, though. They can’t all be crotchety and old!
I think they could just expend it. Like full mean, middle mean and little mean. Do that with every type and your villagers will feel already more different. There are just mean or cranky people in the world and that is ok. Animal Crossing was a game where not everyone liked you immediately and I think that is good. For example I really hate the avatar character in modern Fire Emblem since the DS game because he/she is such a Mary Sue and loved by everyone. I really don‘t like that and the story is always worse with such bland avatar characters

I think they could just expend it. Like full mean, middle mean and little mean. Do that with every type and your villagers will feel already more different. There are just mean or cranky people in the world and that is ok. Animal Crossing was a game where not everyone liked you immediately and I think that is good. For example I really hate the avatar character in modern Fire Emblem since the DS game because he/she is such a Mary Sue and loved by everyone. I really don‘t like that and the story is always worse with such bland avatar characters
I would also argue they could accomplish something similar by simply building a proper affinity system into villager relationships. That is, a Cranky villager is a full-on jerk to you when you/they move in, and warms to you over time to become more in line with their friendlier incarnations. A smooth progression from mean/distant to warm and friendly would do wonders for the villager side of things.

I despise the idea of cruel villagers, so none of that please. Last thing I want after a long hard day at work or an argument is to boot up my cute animal town and get insulted by an NPC. No thank you.

Not that i'm a big Animal Crossing player, but i would appreciate if they wouldn't have villagers kinda guilt-shame you for not playing for a while.

I'm fragile, okay?

(also Team Animal Crossing Hourly Soundtracks Should Not Have Synths, they’re distracting me from my peaceful daily life no matter how good they are, Nintendo).
I so agree on this. That's why New Leaf hourly themes are my favourite. It was so weird in NH, since the first couple of days the music was this calm and acoustic music. But when you unlock the hourly music, it switches to these weird synths that are the opposite of what Island life is. Like, only 2AM, 5AM and 6PM don't have it that much, and are my favourite of NH.

I am with you on everything except for the camera perspective. I really like the rolling log
Fair. But since the Animal Crossing track in MK8, I fell in love of what it could offer for an actual mainline Animal Crossing. 😛

So I guess there is no direct this week or does Nintendo have till the end of today to announce a direct?
Wait a few hours. I'm from the Netherlands, and most of the time an announcement of Directs are around 3PM/4PM, which are from 4.5/5.5 hours away from now.

They don't necessarily have to announce a Partner Showcase the day before, you know.

They could tease it a few hours before it drops, or just simply shadow drop it.

I mean..it kinda feels like going down the same hole as asking Zelda to go back to pre-BOTW status. The chances aren't strong there

I despise the idea of cruel villagers, so none of that please. Last thing I want after a long hard day at work or an argument is to boot up my cute animal town and get insulted by an NPC. No thank you.
I think that is ok and you always have the option to just not have villagers with that character trait in your village. There are enough „always nice„ villagers to choose from, and at the moment everyone is always nice which is boring for a character sim IMO.

I mean..it kinda feels like going down the same hole as asking Zelda to go back to pre-BOTW status. The chances aren't strong there
The situation is completely different. They didn‘t break conventions by intent (like the Zelda team did with both Skyward Sword and Botw) and since many people are wanting better villager personalities, resetti and things like that back (not to forget that the old and the new formula aren’t mutually exclusive).

And acts like your console is broken. Also the new gyroids are to tame, the old ones were really weird and I liked it. Bring them back.
I never collected them in the old games because I never knew what to do with them, so I didn‘t know the designs were different.

I would also argue they could accomplish something similar by simply building a proper affinity system into villager relationships. That is, a Cranky villager is a full-on jerk to you when you/they move in, and warms to you over time to become more in line with their friendlier incarnations. A smooth progression from mean/distant to warm and friendly would do wonders for the villager side of things.
That would work. I'd like the characters to be more mean to you at first, but progress to a more friendlier style if you interact with them more, regardless of their personality type. That and adding more personality types would be a great step.

My biggest problem with the newest Animal Crossing is, that it goes more into the direction of farming sim. There are so many farming sims, but so few communication or character sims, that I would prefer if they would just make a farming sim Animal Crossing spin off or a new IP for that.

I'd love the next game to do a split of the existing Cranky villagers into Chill Old Guy from New Horizons and Horrible Bastard from the old games

I'd love the next game to do a split of the existing Cranky villagers into Chill Old Guy from New Horizons and Horrible Bastard from the old games
They can split Snooty villagers into tactless but well-meaning fashionistas and vindictive haters, too, while they’re at it!

New Horizons personality tier list

S: Cranky, Sisterly
A: Normal, Peppy, Snooty
B: Smug
C: Jock
D: Lazy

Cranky is something totally new and I love it. Dobie was always my favorite neighbor in New Horizons because his design and the new cool old man personality worked so well.

Sisterly was great in New Leaf and is great here. This archetype is absolutely essential.

Normal is quite good. There's an amusing number of quirks for a type called "normal" but I like that.

Peppy is totally obnoxious and exhausting but I'm into that. I think it's a good idea realized well but I think it too appreciably diverged from the old personality.

Snooty is a nice mild flavor, complementing the other changes well. I don't have many thoughts on this one.

Smug is fine I suppose but a significant downgrade from past games. It's supposed to be an annoying archetype and it definitely succeeds in that.

Jock is kind of bad in New Horizons. It's dull, one-note, and not even really convincingly fitness-obsessed.

Lazy is totally horrible in New Horizons, which is a shame when it has so many great villager designs and used to be so balanced. The archetype has devolved into talking about eating, bugs, or eating bugs. They seem genuinely unwell at times which makes me a bit uncomfortable. It's by far the worst archetype in the game.

As for changes, I think Lazy should return to first gen writing outright, Jocks should be fleshed out, and two more personalities added.

As I said in an earlier post the new Cranky should be ascended to its own type, taking the most fitting designs with it, while Cranky is rewritten to be an actually irritable person. As much as I love the GameCube Treehouse localization, I think @Magic-Man is right that there isn't really any merit to direct insults in the game. However, I think a generally irritable and solitary person, especially one who opens up to the player over time, could be realized quite charmingly.

In a similar vein, the new female archetype should be a somewhat moody and quiet type who pushes the player away at first and generally prefers to spend time alone regardless. I think that in addition to new designs this could inherit the most fitting designs from both Snooty and Normal, though primarily the former.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts! Also, we should have an Animal Crossing ST. If there isn't one already I call informal dibs.

How about that Personalities shouldn't be locked behind genders? Like Cranky is always a male personality, but I'd like to have a female Cranky villagers aswell. Or a Peppy male villagers.

To clarify: I only know the german texts so maybe the old german mean types aren‘t as mean as the english ones.
yeah this could be the case. the English localization of the first Animal Crossing was totally freeform. villagers call you fat and ugly all the time, tell you your breath stinks, and are generally shitty to you. it's awesome but also it sucks

Technically, german versions of Animal Crossing should be more rude than other versions.

Source: Fuck you, i am german.
I recently saw a Müller interview after losing against Leverkusen and I didn't know if he was angry or just speaking german 😅

I just wanted to throw out some dream thoughts for the next Mario Kart. Considering the current game has been polished to a pristine shine, I feel like we need something substantial to warrant a new game. I want them to call it Mario Kart X (Cross). It's cross because it's opened up to all Nintendo characters. Could even have DLC that brings in characters from other franchises and market it in every direct similar to smash. "Snake rolls in!", "Cloud rides in!", etc. Maybe even tracks. Imagine racing as cloud through Midgar!

I'd love for it to have a hubworld similar to Diddy Kong Racing. It seems like such a shame that a game that sold 60 million copies doesn't even have a hub world. Imagine boss races...
I think the gameplay "gimmick" (for lack of better words) of Kart Next will be terraforming. The series has been moving in a direction where there are multiple ways to approach tracks, and terraforming is the next step after tricks (Wii), glider (7), antigrav (8).

we used to have Full Immersion in Animal Crossing

It's so bad, it's kinda funny to me, haha. But I understand if there are people who don't like it. Still bring this back, maybe not as severe as this, but yeah, make em mean at first, but more friendly overtime.

Technically, german versions of Animal Crossing should be more rude than other versions.

Source: Fuck you, i am german.
As an austrian guy, I am always happy if I can talk to a german person (I can hear immediately if someone is from Germany just by how the german sounds compared to austrian german) on a service hotline because german service people are so nice compared to austrian ones haha

Mario Kart 8 was one of the most beaufiful game on the Wii U and was still a looker on the Switch (with a bump to a native 1080p).

Really curious to see how it will look on the new system.

I'd like to see the mayoralty return in AC, but as an optional event. Like, you can run an election campaign against a rival villager and how many villagers vote for you is determined by how well-liked you are by the other villagers. You could go around putting up campaign signs, make a campaign slogan etc. etc.
It would be fun. Note that I never played New Leaf, so maybe it works something like that? idk.

I'd like to see the mayoralty return in AC, but as an optional event. Like, you can run an election campaign against a rival villager and how many villagers vote for you is determined by how well-liked you are by the other villagers. You could go around putting up campaign signs, make a campaign slogan etc. etc.
It would be fun. Note that I never played New Leaf, so maybe it works something like that? idk.
it very much does not work like that in new leaf and I've long wanted it to return in that fashion

let us have late game stuff nintendo. imagine if only one year residents can run for mayor

I want an actual tangible friendship system in AC that I can see and track, and be rewarded for working on. Maybe with rewards like having them choose to never want to move out at higher level, or moving in with you, or even maybe something whacky like playing as that character, or unique clothing or patterns you can only get from that villager. I also want them to have actual opinions on things instead of just blindly agreeing with whatever the player wants. Like if the player wants to design a villagers house in a way that goes against what the villager likes, the player should require actually building their friendship with the villager up to a certain level.

I want an actual tangible friendship system in AC that I can see and track, and be rewarded for working on. Maybe with rewards like having them choose to never want to move out at higher level, or moving in with you, or even maybe something whacky like playing as that character, or unique clothing or patterns you can only get from that villager. I also want them to have actual opinions on things instead of just blindly agreeing with whatever the player wants. Like if the player wants to design a villagers house in a way that goes against what the villager likes, the player should require actually building their friendship with the villager up to a certain level.
I think I'd prefer stuff like friendship/reputation stats be basically hidden, but there would be ways to coax the info out of the game. Like, if you rummage through their trash on garbage day it tells you in a roundabout way, or if you read their diary or creep into their house and listen to them talk in their sleep or whatever. You know, normal shit that normal people do.

Mango wants Animal Crossing with a social link system from Persona.

Honestly that'd be a good idea, even if it'd be a bit of a pain to code and write.

I think one of the most important things they need to improve for the next Animal Crossing is NPC dialogue. They need to invest money into it and write much more. New Horizons is my favourite Animal Crossing, but it broke the illusion when I started reading the same lines again and again. I personally don't really mind if they are less aggressive than in the past. Apart from that, it would be cool if next time the game released feature complete and then they made actual meaty DLCs. I was not a fan of waiting for Brewster for example.

I think one of the most important things they need to improve for the next Animal Crossing is NPC dialogue. They need to invest money into it and write much more. New Horizons is my favourite Animal Crossing, but it broke the illusion when I started reading the same lines again and again. I personally don't really mind if they are less aggressive than in the past. Apart from that, it would be cool if next time the game released feature complete and then they made actual meaty DLCs. I was not a fan of waiting for Brewster for example.
Could AI technology be utilized to give unique dialogue each time? Or is that beyond the scope for Nintendo?

Could AI technology be utilized to give unique dialogue each time? Or is that beyond the scope for Nintendo?
It would lack the charm Animal Crossing is known for. I've played both in english and spanish and the writing is just so on point. New Horizons was filled with jokes we would make in spanish and it made me laugh several times. I think it's the videogame that's made me laugh the most.

AI would be useful to give rich dialogue variety to random NPCs in an open world game. Animal Crossing's dialogue needs to be hand crafted and witty.

Given we just get Side Order trailer I imagine February Partner Showcase will aired this Thursday at 6AM PST/8AM CST/15PM CET and will be announced tomorrow at the same hour.

So well, LM2 HD and PM TTYD dates will be dropped via twitter lol.

Last edited:
The situation is completely different. They didn‘t break conventions by intent (like the Zelda team did with both Skyward Sword and Botw) and since many people are wanting better villager personalities, resetti and things like that back (not to forget that the old and the new formula aren’t mutually exclusive).
Aren't they? The new formula's basically "you're pretty much instantaneously given dominion over the Animal Crossing world and encouraged to do what you like with the place", which doesn't feel compatible with the idea of having villagers warm up to you imo. That's more of a "you're a newcomer to an existing village that you have no power over, you're one of them at best" type thing.

I'd also say that they broke with conventions with intent in both NL and NH, there's a GDC talk from 2014 where NL's director alludes to BOTW doing the same thing to Zelda as they were trying to do with NL as well as a couple of NH-era interviews where they basically say similar. I think NL and NH are essentially the AC equivalents to BOTW in their own ways in that they're trying to reinvent stuff after a massive Wii-era failure, and despite the fact I think in some ways NL is a better executed take on the Wii game, it's a massive reinvention of the series in many ways and it weirded me out during the NH Discourse Storm to see people treating it as basically just The Next Iteration Of AC (where certain things have changed for Some Reason I'm Not Gonna Look Into) rather than the "actually, this game is called New Leaf for a reason" it actually is.

Hard disagree, I don't think Animal Crossing's soundtrack should be purely Relaxing Acoustic Music To Chill To, because it ends up feeling generic to me (and stuff like HHD and Pocket Camp's soundtrack feels like they've just gone for a Generically Cute AC Sound.

It needs to at the very least be jazzy and certain hours generally need a bit of funk in them (6PM in GC and WW are both quite funky, as they should be! It's the hour a lot of people get home from work, time to relax!), and I also feel that the Roland 808's presence in the first couple of soundtracks gives it a little bit of a hip hop-style groove.

I generally don't think that Animal Crossing's music should be predominantly synthy, but I think it should be using a wide range of instruments to give it a more robust and interesting sound instead of just "here's 24 hours of easy-listening music", and on top of stuff like guitars, pianos and electric pianos (but please god, if it's anything like 2PM NL or the house design from HHD, no Yamaha electric piano), woodwinds, strings, and world percussion instruments like the cuica and berimbau, yes, that includes synths. GC has that SC-88 cheese saw, WW's got plenty of synth bass and bleepy sounds in its hourly soundtrack, and NL's got that Wonderful Christmastime-type synth most prominently heard in 10PM... so I find this "no synths in my AC soundtrack!" stance kind of bizarre, tbh. They're synths! They're a very versatile instument, capable of being ambient and funky in equal measure. They absolutely belong in the soundtrack.

we used to have Full Immersion in Animal Crossing

staging an intervention for people talking about villager dialogue, because it's been one week over ten years and people are still only talking about mean villagers. Talk about something else, for crying out loud! There's lots more to talk about, and it ultimately sells your argument a lot better than just "villager not mean anymore, WHYYYYY" constantly because you're, y'know, actually giving examples of Good AC Dialogue. Weird letters from people like Hayseed Hilda and The Singing Bug Boy! Implied other locations like the desert Saharah's from or Boondox, the scam to fund luxury goods for Tortimer town you send money to so that they can have stuff like food and arcades! The "these cute characters have actually had really shitty lives" backstory moments both WW and LGTTC had! Quirkier takes on familiar, real life stuff! This is all stuff begging for a deep dive analysis to be done, but no, 7 million mean villiager compilations and the same tired takes wheeled out again and again (isn't it ironic?)

Look, there's a load of things ultimately affecting AC dialogue. The fact there's now 8 personalities instead of 6, the fact that a good portion of dialogue now has to be "hey, look, furniture item, nice!" or "hey mayor, I love being forced to get up at 6AM now!", the fact that you can't really release a game like Animal Crossing in different years in different regions anymore like you could on the GameCube (or it gets spoilt in its entirety like NL did, a factor I'm pretty sure led to them using updates for NH).

I don't think using AI is the answer to them, because it's ultimately the lazy way out there.

I fear the discourse surrounding the next AC game will be as bad as TOTK’s
When it uses updates again (but now we're waiting for stuff that's in NH already), I fear hell will break loose. If it goes back to being a pure life sim (with some kind of hook) but now villagers move out on their own, they can move wherever they like and there's no ordinances whatsoever, but now villagers feel more rounded, I will feel validated but a different kind of hell will break loose.

Back
Top Bottom