• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 257 56.1%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 54 11.8%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 76 16.6%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 31 6.8%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 40 8.7%

• Total voters
I don't mind if the next Animal Crossing is a "live service" game again, but please no more crafting recipes, and if there are, please don't put them in balloons again.

I don't mind if the next Animal Crossing is a "live service" game again, but please no more crafting recipes, and if there are, please don't put them in balloons again.
Yeah, I’d honestly rather just buy everything than have to spend an eternity trying to find all the different crafting recipes, or god forbid a specific one I want. There’s gotta be a better progression mechanism than that. Or at least a way to let me more easily choose or influence what recipes I’m getting.

I'm ready for a new Animal Crossing but I'm actually really scared. New Horizons went in a lot of directions that I just didn't enjoy that much - the terraforming/complete control over the island, lack of shops/upgrades, fewer characters, crafting, etc. I hope we get some deeper life sim elements but I really think they're going to keep heading in the directions they explored with NH.

I don't expect it to be shown in the first few directs. I don't think we'll hear about it until 2025 at the earliest, even if it is a 2025 title.

Edit: And they NEED to add QOL features to speed things up. Traveling on the airlines was so slow, crafting was slow, etc. Makes the game more monotonous.

begging animal crossing fans to read my dumbass ideas on the last page of the animal crossing ideas thread

should still be on the front page

For the next Animal crossing, I hope Nintendo will really take its time and try to make a great game like the GameCube, Wild World or New Leaf.
As a long-time fan of the saga, I was more disappointed than satisfied by New Horizon in many aspects.
And for pity's sake, I wish they'd stop with their fake updates, which look more like content that should have been in the game in the first place, but which they're keeping aside to make free DLC.
The only real free update is the one that was revealed at the same time as the paid DLC.

But New Horizon is the highest rated by critics, has the best word-of-mouth amongst the casual fanbase, and it outsold every other installment in the series combined. How does a developer realistically look at that and goes, "Nah, we messed up. We got to go back"

For the next Animal crossing, I hope Nintendo will really take its time and try to make a great game like the GameCube, Wild World or New Leaf.
As a long-time fan of the saga, I was more disappointed than satisfied by New Horizon in many aspects.
And for pity's sake, I wish they'd stop with their fake updates, which look more like content that should have been in the game in the first place, but which they're keeping aside to make free DLC.
The only real free update is the one that was revealed at the same time as the paid DLC.
I think it should be easier for Nintendo this time. New Horizons felt like something of a reboot for the franchise compared to WW and NL which built on the previous games. New Horizons is a great base upon which to build but what's needed is more depth - more interesting neighbour interactions, more diverse events (both scheduled and random), more places to go, people to talk to and things to do. If it can bring those areas of the game up to the level of the previous entries whilst keeping the great parts of New Horizon (town customisation, crafting, and better gamification in some areas) then it should be onto a winner.

Yeah, the update strategy for New Horizon was awful. Obviously events in the past would just have been there from the start so it didn't really feel like they were adding anything. Not to mention that the events themselves basically all felt like cosmetic variations of the same thing. The one big update to the game was excellent but a long time after its launch. To be honest though, I don't think we'd be so worried about the updates if the game didn't feel relatively content-sparse when it launched.

I liked the crafting mechanics and all of the customization options of NH, I just hated the lack of QoL features, the massive amounts of missing legacy content/characters/items, and how the focus shifted harshly from a social sim to a building sim.

I want my Animal Crossing world to feel like a world not a diorama.

Also just about every other game that has a cooking mechanic gives its players a reason to cook those foods, namely a request system in the form of a bulletin board or being able to sell crops at a high price or crop hybrids or just some incentives to give the player a reason to farm stuff, NH does none of that and thus the farming and cooking mechanic feels utterly meaningless and tacked on.

The Switch 2 should have more than enough power for a larger Animal Crossing world.
I hope they also bring back some mechanics from New Leaf like collecting those tropical fruits from the minigame island.
Personally, I'd like to see some smaller islands around the main one. Let me build bridges or tunnels to expand the world instead of being stuck on one big rock.

I'd like for the next Animal Crossing to go back to the fundamentals of the GameCube game (life/social sim and pre-exisiting town) but in a modern style. Ditch the overhead view and have a full 360 degree camera, make things look really nice with the Switch 2's graphics, etc. Then you can incorporate more of the customization options of New Horizons as well, but don't overdo it to the point where it overtakes the social/life aspects.

Yeah I saw it but he's saying all that under the assumption that Nintendo won't patch their games, while I expect Nintendo to patch nearly all their games (at least the major ones) to takes advantage of the Switch 2 power. The only improvements I expect are of course only higher resolution and framerates, but I still expect them.
I also heavily disagree with the whole disabling CPU cores and SMs, I don't think they are going to do that. Lic explained it better than I ever could but games aren't bound by the number of CPU cores or SMs.

Minor clarification, but I do expect Nintendo to patch at least some of their games, I just wasn't including that as "BC" because it's been updated specifically for the new hardware. Also LiC corrected me following that, and I do accept that it might be possible for games in BC mode to use the full GPU, but with Sony not doing so in their BC implementation I'm erring on the side of not expecting Nintendo to. Would be happy to be wrong, though.

I hope we see a release closer to the announcement than people are expecting.

I feel launching in March really benefitted the Switch. It was almost like a beta period before the first holiday. When the first holiday came around, there were some great games ready to go. They should try and emulate that as much as possible.

Minor clarification, but I do expect Nintendo to patch at least some of their games, I just wasn't including that as "BC" because it's been updated specifically for the new hardware.
Actually with the exceptions of BOTW and TOTK I don't think Nintendo is going to bother patching any games in to native Switch 2 versions to take full advantage of the hardware, I think They are going to do simple resolution/framerates patches within the backwards compatibility structure for at least their major titles.

Actually with the exceptions of BOTW and TOTK I don't think Nintendo is going to bother patching any games in to native Switch 2 versions to take full advantage of the hardware, I think They are going to do simple resolution/framerates patches within the backwards compatibility structure for at least their major titles.
I'm pretty agreed. Most developers/publishers won't want to do much updating unless they're actively still producing content for the game.

I want another 48 maps for Mario Kart 8 DX. I also want 4 player online and 60FPS in 4 player mode.

I'm pretty agreed. Most developers/publishers won't want to do much updating unless they're actively still producing content for the game.

I want another 48 maps for Mario Kart 8 DX. I also want 4 player online and 60FPS in 4 player mode.
I really don't, I have been playing MK8 since it came out on the Wii U and even though it was a great game I am beyond tired of it, It's going to be 10 years old in may. I d'rather see what they can do with new hardware.
Just give it 60FPS in 4 player mode and push the resolution to 1440p or 4k if the Switch 2 can handle it.

I really don't, I have been playing MK8 since it came out on the Wii U and even though it was a great game I am beyond tired of it, It's going to be 10 years old in may. I d'rather see what they can do with new hardware.
Just give it 60FPS in 4 player mode and push the resolution to 1440p or 4k if the Switch 2 can handle it.
I play online with friends every week. If the next Mario Kart game isn't 2024 or 2025, I'd love to see more back catalog tracks converted.

I'd also love for it to be something like a Mario Kart Ultimate next. I'd like all the tracks to be there.

am I the only one excited for Ridge Racer 8? this is easily my most anticipated game (presuming it's real) bar whatever Nintendo has been cooking.

I just wanted to throw out some dream thoughts for the next Mario Kart. Considering the current game has been polished to a pristine shine, I feel like we need something substantial to warrant a new game. I want them to call it Mario Kart X (Cross). It's cross because it's opened up to all Nintendo characters. Could even have DLC that brings in characters from other franchises and market it in every direct similar to smash. "Snake rolls in!", "Cloud rides in!", etc. Maybe even tracks. Imagine racing as cloud through Midgar!

I'd love for it to have a hubworld similar to Diddy Kong Racing. It seems like such a shame that a game that sold 60 million copies doesn't even have a hub world. Imagine boss races...

just for fun

if it were to be launched on, say, may 24, what would be the main launch title? would they throw 3D mario into the deluge of old mario shit this year?
yeah fuck it why not. it'd sell. everyone's a sucker for mario.

just for fun

if it were to be launched on, say, may 24, what would be the main launch title? would they throw 3D mario into the deluge of old mario shit this year?
They have to have a showcase title. I really can't imagine them launching without one. Big 3D Mario feels like it's what's had the the biggest gap for what should be a system seller.

I also agree with what @nitroplum has said. A Mario Kart analogous to Smash Brothers Ultimate is what I'd really want to see. Even if it's Mario Kart 8 Super Deluxe and starts by including Kirby, Sonic, and Cloud.

to everyone going "NH needed more QOL features": Wouldn't adding more QOL features to Animal Crossing dilute the life sim aspect of it even further than both NH and NL's did? On top of being the mayor (which shifts the emphasis of the series away from being just another villager to being The Big Boss Of Villagers), ordinances (where there's the horrible implication that you're now pressuring people into staying awake for longer, just so that you can play a game later in the day), and later on, getting villagers to move out via amiibo (well done! You're now a landlord! Congrats on creating a kawaii ethnostate!), and even later on, terraforming (constantly resetting for the layout of your dreams? Why don't you painstakingly create it instead?), house plots (Landlord Part 2: Now You Can Forcibly Relocate People Places!), being able to redesign villager houses (Landlord Part 3: Now That's What I Call Being Really Intrusive), and making it so villagers can't move out on their own, all done as a result of the Animal Crossing player base's actions or demands.

But you've now got people (who are also complaining that there isn't enough characters or character interaction as is because WHAT IS MEDIA LITERACY LOL) demanding QOL fixes for the changing room at the Ables or making it so going online can be done through the Nook Phone, just because it means you've got to constantly talk to Mabel (in general the changing room feels like more of this over QOLing) or Orville (I get the need for a "can I go back?" option, but the suggestion of an app is overkill!). You've got people going "terraforming is tedious, why can't I just use the HHP grid?" and "why isn't there bulk crafting?!" as if doing stuff like landscaping or building is something that you can just skip past IRL (in addition to there being Nook Miles goals for both, so the intention was clearly that they were meant to be tedious to some extent)

At some point, somebody's gotta go "actually, this stuff we're demanding isn't having a good effect on the series, because you can't just plonk a new element in it without something changing", right? Right?

just for fun

Why not? Mario sells and they just had two successful Mario games released in November last year. I don't think it's possible to oversaturate Mario.

Why not? Mario sells and they just had two successful Mario games released in November last year. I don't think it's possible to oversaturate Mario.
Only way to oversaturate is to put out too many Mario games of the same type. They could put out a 2D platformer, a 3D platformer, and an isometric platformer - all starring Mario - on the same day, and it wouldn't hurt sales of any of them.

just for fun

The next Zelda, Smash and Splatoon are years away, It can really only be 3D Mario or Mario Kart since their team have been silent for more than 6 years, but since MK8 wrapped the DLC less then 3 months ago and the fact that Mario Kart is never present at launch as it usually always comes out 1 year after, 3D Mario is the only realistic option. I can't think of any other big game that could be the Launch title.

There's no risk of oversaturation, Mario RPG, TTYD, DK and LM2HD area all different genres and remakes of old games.
Also this is the company that released NSMB 2 and U, 2 nearly identical 2D platforms within 4 months of each other.

The next Zelda, Smash and Splatoon are years away, It can really only be 3D Mario or Mario Kart since their team have been silent for more than 6 years, but since MK8 wrapped the DLC less then 3 months ago and the fact that Mario Kart is never present at launch as it usually always comes out 1 year after, 3D Mario is the only realistic option. I can't think of any other big game that could be the Launch title.
This upcoming Mario Kart has likely been in some stage of development since after MK8 vanilla finished, the MK8D DLC that recently finished probably did not impede its ability to release at launch, if that's what Nintendo wanted. The booster course pass wasn't the priority, this impending game was.

Plus there's no reason they couldn't have MK as the big launch game. It not having been a launch game yet is not a reason. What, is there a "thou shalt not make Mario Kart a launch title" commandment in Nintendo? To what end? There's no practical reason it couldn't be. Zelda wasn't a launch title until it was.

This upcoming Mario Kart has likely been in some stage of development since after MK8 vanilla finished, the MK8D DLC that recently finished probably did not impede its ability to release at launch, if that's what Nintendo wanted. The booster course pass wasn't the priority, this impending game was.

Plus there's no reason they couldn't have MK as the big launch game. It not having been a launch game yet is not a reason. What, is there a "thou shalt not make Mario Kart a launch title" commandment in Nintendo? To what end? There's no practical reason it couldn't be. Zelda wasn't a launch title until it was.
For that matter, I think it's only been a 3D Mario at release once, but that's still what I'd bet on as a release title for Switch 2 if I were a betting man. They could delay Metroid Prime 4 and have it enhanced on Switch 2 on top of 3D Mario and Mario Kart Ultimate.

The Mario Kart team was busy with Arms and Tour for a while. Not sure it's a safe bet they'd be ready.

IF Animal Crossing on Switch 2 happens within the first two years, I swear to god they better bring back this furniture set at LAUNCH, alongside the many other sets that were gone. (I'm still upset that only the froggy chair was one of the few old items they brought back in the 2.0 update)
Also, it would be nice if chores would come back and have more writing for the villagers that aren't overly positive all the time.
NL_Modern_Series.png

By saying that the BCP wrapped recently I wasn't implying EPD9 is busy, the DLC was just ported tracks from tour and even then Bamco is doing most of the work. Considering EPD 9 has done nothing in the past 7 years beside co-developing tour with Bamco it's natural to assume the next Mario Kart has been in the works for years and I believe it will be out sometimes in spring/summer 2025, I will be surprised if it comes any later.

What I meant is that it would be weird to position the next Mario kart just a few months after the previous one wrapped up.
3D Mario is the far more likely candidate.
Plus there's no reason they couldn't have MK as the big launch game. It not having been a launch game yet is not a reason.
I never said there was any reason They can't, just that historically all Mario karts launched 8-15 months after their respective console launch so it's very reasonable to assume They will keep doing that.

You've brought back painful memories of standing on the beach during events waiting for balloons to go by, hoping for a recipe. 😅

You've brought back painful memories of standing on the beach during events waiting for balloons to go by, hoping for a recipe. 😅
Did that for all the Christmas light recipes. Was the only time I made use of the stand I bought for the Switch. Just set it to the left of my laptop and waited for the jingle.

just for fun

Personally? Yeah I think they're gonna go with that.

The biggest heavy hitters that seem like they might be ready this year are 3D Mario and Mario Kart. I don't see Smash, Splatoon, or Animal Crossing this year. Luigi's Mansion and Ring Fit are possible but I don't know if those are exactly system sellers. Zelda is far out.

I actually do wonder if the string of games from 2023-2025 will be "too much" Mario. I think we'll see 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and Luigi's Mansion by the end of 2025 (in addition to what's already been announced), with possibilities for another Mario Sports game, Mario Party, and/or Yoshi. Not to mention the rumoured DK EPD title.

I'm a little worried we won't have a deep single player experience coming for the next system until next year. That's usually on the Zelda team or Monolith Soft to provide, the first of which isn't ready and the second which is probably not ready (though if they have a new IP lined up like speculated a couple of years ago I would be all over it). Though I guess we don't know the scope of Metroid.

IF Animal Crossing on Switch 2 happens within the first two years, I swear to god they better bring back this furniture set at LAUNCH, alongside the many other sets that were gone. (I'm still upset that only the froggy chair was one of the few old items they brought back in the 2.0 update)
Also, it would be nice if chores would come back and have more writing for the villagers that aren't overly positive all the time.
NL_Modern_Series.png
This set was so cool when you customized it in New Leaf with the ores. In general tho it's always been one of my favorites. I also really hope we get actual Nintendo items back, not just Mario ones, and they name them vaguely like they used to, it added to the charm.

Last edited:
This set was so cool when you customized it in New Leaf with the ores. In general tho it's always been one of my favorites. I also really hope we get actual Nintendo items back, not just Nintendo ones, and they name them vaguely like they used to, it added to the charm.
oh my god the Nintendo items were so fuckin cool in new leaf, I love how they had many references to things like the virtual boy, the Wii fit balance board and so much more than just a set focused on mario items.

Unpopular opinion: I hope for the next Animal Crossing that it goes more back to the roots. I just want to be a normal villager again like everyone else. I don‘t want to be a Island Owner or the mayor. I don‘t want the possibility to transform the village, city, island, whatever. They should focus more on different villager personalities and add the mean ones back in that get kinder to you the more you interact with them. Also I don‘t care for all this decorating if I can‘t interact with it. Every time I finished decorating my house, there was no reason for me to change it, because it didn‘t really had an effect what it looked like, because in the game there is not really a reason to be in your house.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: I hope for the next Animal Crossing that it goes more back to the roots. I just want to be a normal villager again like everyone else. I don‘t want to be a Island Owner or the mayor. I don‘t want the possibility to transform the village, city, island, whatever. They should focus more one different villager personalities and add the mean ones back in that get kinder to you the more you interact with them. Also I don‘t care for all this decorating if I can‘t interact with it. Every time I finished decorating my house, there was no reason for me to change it, because it didn‘t really had an effect what it looked like, because in the game there is not really a reason to be in your house.
Agree, better villager personalities and more interactive furniture are the most important things I‘m wishing for a new Animal Crossing. More mini games would also be nice.

I only know AC- New Horizon, but I would be interested in a stronger focus on the life sim aspect.
Maybe they can put out DLC like the Happy Home Paradise DLC at a later stage, where you can transform the whole island and decorate with the stuff you obtained in the main game.
This way, both fan crowds would be served.

I only know AC- New Horizon, but I would be interested in a stronger focus on the life sim aspect.
Maybe they can put out DLC like the Happy Home Paradise DLC at a later stage, where you can transform the whole island and decorate with the stuff you obtained in the main game.
This way, both fan crowds would be served.
That would be perfect. I also think there still could be a lot done for decoration, like allowing higher plateaus or bridges across cliffs.

That would be perfect. I also think there still could be a lot done for decoration, like allowing higher plateaus or bridges across cliffs.

I would be on board.
But with the success NH found with the customizing fans and the endless cottage/pixie-core videos on youtube during the pandemic, I doubt that they will dial back customizing in the next main game.

I’m worried the devs perceive all the control ACNH gave as being a genie that can’t return to the bottle whatsoever. They might be stuck on the path toward more customization and control and away from the life sim aspect of the series. I feel like they have to hit a wall on that approach before they start to refocus themselves on improving in other capacities.

I hope to be proven wrong, though.

Reverting back to the way things used to be after New Horizons sold 40+ million copies would be a horrible idea on so many levels. We can easily have improved life sim aspects while keeping the customization around.

Reverting back to the way things used to be after New Horizons sold 40+ million copies would be a horrible idea on so many levels. We can easily have improved life sim aspects while keeping the customization around.
I think this is true, but I also think that one is always going to emphasized over the other, and there is a certain extent to which each is incompatible with the other. You can’t maintain the feeling of classic Animal Crossing while also making the player effectively a god who can do anything they want.

I think this is true, but I also think that one is always going to emphasized over the other, and there is a certain extent to which each is incompatible with the other. You can’t maintain the feeling of classic Animal Crossing while also making the player effectively a god who can do anything they want.
Oh, I don't think we'll ever fully go back to the old style. I'm thinking we get something more like New Leaf with the Happy Home Paradise customization options and New Horizons management features sprinkled in. Let the neighbors have input on the decisions you make and actually request stuff.

Back
Top Bottom