• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's hoping for a Jedi Knight remaster next, with those glorious live action cutscenes.
The expansion, Mysteries of the Sith didn't have any live action FMV's though. It also was graphically superior than the main game so in engine cutscenes weren't that bad.

Some of the reactions to the datamined "cut" content for Baldur's Gate 3 prove once again that the more gamers find out about games the less they know about them.

lol just saw the Sonic Superstars release date. A new 2D Mario and 2D Sonic during the same month is crazy enough, but the same week? Insanity.

Anyway, don’t think I’m getting anything else beyond those two in October. Everything else is a “maybe later, if ever.”

Confession, I have never gotten a 2D Mario on Day 1 and I have never paid for price for one. I got Super Mario Advance as a gift when I got my GBA. I got New Super Mario Bros U on Wii U for free with gold coins when Nintendo was giving games away on My Nintendo. All others I got were bundle with other things like NSO or SNES Classic.

Am I going to get Mario Wonder? I don't know...

What's surprising to me about the cut content is how they were able to cut quite a few things this close before launch without it affecting the content that made it to the gold master of the game.

Especially since it's a big RPG, with content being connected thoroughly.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a gamer. Is being an "interactive medium enjoyer" already a thing? Because that's me then.

Didn't expect you to be a Sony 1st party game enjoyer.

;D

What are some examples? I love a good "point and laugh at gamers" session
Just from a cursory glance on Reddit I saw a lot of really dumb comments. A lot of hyperbole about the state of the game, like comparing it to Cyberpunk and the praise being undeserved, calling it "criminal" how much stuff was cut, how everything that was datamined should have been in the game from the beginning or in a definitive edition etc.

Mind, a lot of the stuff is missing context here and we don't know when or why these things were cut in the first place. Just a lot of assumptions based on limited information.

Just from a cursory glance on Reddit I saw a lot of really dumb comments. A lot of hyperbole about the state of the game, like comparing it to Cyberpunk and the praise being undeserved, calling it "criminal" how much stuff was cut, how everything that was datamined should have been in the game from the beginning or in a definitive edition etc.

Mind, a lot of the stuff is missing context here and we don't know when or why these things were cut in the first place. Just a lot of assumptions based on limited information.
Yeah sounds like a bunch of people who have no idea how game development works.

What's surprising to me about the cut content is how they were able to cut quite a few things this close before launch without it affecting the content that made it to the gold master of the game.

Especially since it's a big RPG, with content being connected thoroughly.

Didn't expect you to be a Sony 1st party game enjoyer.

;D
Lmao 😂

I swear, do gamers know what it takes to write, fund, design, program, develop, test, promote and publish a game, even slightly? Because I think they really don't. Cut content is most of the times cut for a reason.

Hot take time

SW2 will have a weak launch
Mario is better off without Charles
Smash Bros is overrated af

Mario_sad_-_SMRS.png

I swear, do gamers know what it takes to write, fund, design, program, develop, test, promote and publish a game, even slightly?
Scratch that, do gamers know how any form of media is made? Heavens forbid they learn books are made after hundreds of crumpled up rough drafts.

Scratch that, do gamers know how any form of media is made? Heavens forbid they learn books are made after hundreds of crumpled up rough drafts.

... Fans of A Song of Ice and Fire learned that ... in a very very hard way ...

Quake 2, Turok 3, and Star Wars all getting remasters, and I'm a little morose that TimeSplitters is in jeopardy because of Embracer Group's reckless spending.

Two years of radio silence after the initial announcement, and all that CEO can guarantee is "already announced significant titles" will not be impacted. I can't fully give up hope that it might still get released in a year or two, but I hope the bandaid is ripped off sooner rather than later so as to not feel strung along.

Quake 2, Turok 3, and Star Wars all getting remasters, and I'm a little morose that TimeSplitters is in jeopardy because of Embracer Group's reckless spending.

Two years of radio silence after the initial announcement, and all that CEO can guarantee is "already announced significant titles" will not be impacted. I can't fully give up hope that it might still get released in a year or two, but I hope the bandaid is ripped off sooner rather than later so as to not feel strung along.
I mean, there still are tons of 90s and 2000s FPS games waiting to get remastered. TimeSplitters is only one of them, we're waiting but at least we got hopeful updates. Other than that we got Unreal 1-2, No One Lives Forever which WB won't let go, remaining James Bond games that can easily be collected in one collection, Medal of Honor whose existence EA forgot... The whole genre is a huge treasure trove...

I mean, there still are tons of 90s and 2000s FPS games waiting to get remastered. TimeSplitters is only one of them, we're waiting but at least we got hopeful updates. Other than that we got Unreal 1-2, No One Lives Forever which WB won't let go, remaining James Bond games that can easily be collected in one collection, Medal of Honor whose existence EA forgot... The whole genre is a huge treasure trove...
Oh it absolutely is, and Nintendo platforms regularly have had a dearth of actual FPS games on their platforms (or at least multiplayer-focused FPS games that I enjoyed 😅) but TS is the one that holds the most sentimental nostalgia for me haha. That was after school at either my or my friend's house, either on Gamecube or PS2, destroying one another and making up the weirdest game modes with bots haha

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a gamer. Is being an "interactive medium enjoyer" already a thing? Because that's me then.
Like how Mitch Hedberg said "I hope I am never referred to as 'a boating enthusiast,' I hope they just call me 'a guy who likes boats.'"

Like how Mitch Hedberg said "I hope I am never referred to as 'a boating enthusiast,' I hope they just call me 'a guy who likes boats.'"
Yes! How about "person that appreciates games as a medium for what they truly are". It hints towards objectivity without actually saying something objective on gaming as a medium. It sounds pretentious and academic. I like it :D

Haven't seen much chatter about it but Blasphemous 2 is looking really good. Currently mid-80s Metacritic on all platforms with a lot of reviews out there. Sounds like in general it's more metroidvania-y and gives you more options than the first, and while it's not breaking a ton of new ground it's a lot more of what made the first game great but with new features and refinement. I'm really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow:

EDIT: Whoops, video is age-restricted, but it's the IGN review by Travis Northrup

Re: gamers

I stumbled upon Steam reviews of a game where people used its version number as proof for it being released too early by the greedy developers.

Like sure, the game may have been incompete, I haven't even played it. But if you've worked with software at all, you'd realize how arbitrary versioning practices often are, and how absurd it is to try to derive any meaning from the version number a piece of software is released at.

So now that the AC reviews are out and it's a big success, which do you folks think is the best: AC, AC, AC, AC,, or AC?

Personally I'm leaning AC, but I might change my mind and pick AC. Never gonna choose AC though. AC is the worst.

people used its version number as proof for it being released too early by the greedy developers
Dios mio, these poor ignorant souls

Personally I'm leaning AC, but I might change my mind and pick AC. Never gonna choose AC though. AC is the worst
AC would get a C, and haven’t played AC in a while, but the rest are good. Hyped for AC in particular.

November is shaping up to be great year for Switch releases for me, personally:

Super Mario RPG
Persona 5 Tactica
Star Ocean Second Story R
King of Fighters XIII Global Match
Flashback 2
Biomutant
Naruto X Boruto
Turok 3

But as a very greedy person, I'm up for even more games. I could do few surprise releases like we got RDR that month. Maybe Dark Souls 2 port? Never finished it, would welcome such announcement. Or some other remaster from Square? Parasite Eve 1-2 Collection? Now that sounds delicious. And I still want that One Piece Odyssey late port...

Haven't seen much chatter about it but Blasphemous 2 is looking really good. Currently mid-80s Metacritic on all platforms with a lot of reviews out there. Sounds like in general it's more metroidvania-y and gives you more options than the first, and while it's not breaking a ton of new ground it's a lot more of what made the first game great but with new features and refinement. I'm really looking forward to picking it up tomorrow:

EDIT: Whoops, video is age-restricted, but it's the IGN review by Travis Northrup

I'm waiting for it to unlock. First one was very good

I should really get around to getting those Turok remasters, and Quake 1, and Quake 2, and the Doom games....

Lmao

starwars-obi-wan.gif

Funny though, I thought about Sadness recently.
made_myself_sad_futurama.gif

Man, if ever there was a game that held such potential for a core game experience on Wii just to have hopes dashed.

Same with Winter by n-space, that also looked so promising

made_myself_sad_futurama.gif

Man, if ever there was a game that held such potential for a core game experience on Wii just to have hopes dashed.

Same with Winter by n-space, that also looked so promising
Yep! It's also bizarre how some of the old Nibris staff (not sure exactly the same people) now is developing Silent Hill 2 remake. The game might be vavorware, the devs themselves doing quite good now.

Is Daemon X Machina good? Based on the first impressions of people I trust about AC6, the game seems to stray a little bit from its predecessors and be too "Miyazaki-zed" for my taste rn (apparently great on a whole lot of points, but also obtuse, a bit slow, unfairly hard, fifty tries to beat each boss etc) so I’m looking to play a good, fun mecha game that won’t make me wanna cry.

Is Daemon X Machina good? Based on the first impressions of people I trust about AC6, the game seems to stray a little bit from its predecessors and be too "Miyazaki-zed" for my taste rn (apparently great on a whole lot of points, but also obtuse, a bit slow, unfairly hard, fifty tries to beat each boss etc) so I’m looking to play a good, fun mecha game that won’t make me wanna cry.
Have you tried the demo? I've never played other mecha games before, so I can't compare to any but I enjoyed the demo a lot, though dXm to me felt like something that would be really fun to play with friends, in a MH like way, but since no friend of mine picked it up I gave up on the game and did not buy it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom