• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing Iger said that I've agreed with so far is when he admitted the dude who replaced him (for a while) started packing the Marvel and Star Wars schedules too tightly. I dunno how bad things have to be internally for a CEO to come out and say "yall we're doing too much and stumbling because of it, sorry" but I imagine behind the scenes was not great. Glad we're getting a wholeass industry reset with all eyes on the labor. I hope it'll lead to some better situations for people doing the work (and fuck fuck fuck the people who are profiting immensely off said work).

They're Ubisofting it
Previous CEO saw two cash cows (Marvel and Star Wars), and decided to milk it with expanding its universe with a plethora of films and series. Series for almost every character and time period of the respective universe’s history.

Brand fatigue is real. They should sit down with creatives and say:
• Okay, we need a grand story that encompasses several films. How much would be too much?
• Can we squeeze a series here or there?
• What if a character’s popularity explode? Can we make a series with him? Maybe a limited run one?

I can go on a mental trip and blame American Capitalism for this (exploitation of IPs), but I’ll summarize it with:
• CEO’s are too stupid to plan something and the people below them do all the work. Even if it’s a terrible idea, they have to expand it

Just purchased my second lava lamp. Teal liquid with purple wax. Should look gorgeous.
4fqxc.jpg

see I know him better as one of the core members of the Steven Universe team — and also Rebecca Sugar’s partner.

but I’m also old, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alongside that, I'll always know Ian as the show runner behind the criminally underrated OK KO: Let's Be Heroes! - and to bring things full circle, that show had a episode that crossed over with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Gotta say, I had that taco and it did not strike me as very car friendly, lol.
It takes skill and care to execute but it is possible. 😅

see I know him better as one of the core members of the Steven Universe team — and also Rebecca Sugar’s partner.

but I’m also old, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm old too, which is why I know him from something I was reading in 2000-2003 😅

I had no idea he was part of Steven Universe, that's awesome!!

Alongside that, I'll always know Ian as the show runner behind the criminally underrated OK KO: Let's Be Heroes! - and to bring things full circle, that show had a episode that crossed over with Sonic the Hedgehog.

How did I miss all this???

I really need to get a new light in the one I’ve had since grade school. The only issue is I don’t know how to get the old light out with getting injured 😅
I would unplug it and then find one of those grippy things that help you open jars and doors and try that.

Nintendo Direct Speculation ST6 is up! I hope you all enjoy it :)

Another version of Princess Maker 2, guess they needed the excuse to port it to consoles, since apparently the only change are some redrawn graphics

Another version of Princess Maker 2, guess they needed the excuse to port it to consoles, since apparently the only change are some redrawn graphics

good english text here

Princess-Maker-2-Regeneration_2023_08-09-23_002.jpg

and by “good english” i mean “lmao this shit looks like AI or machine translation or something”

good english text here

and by “good english” i mean “lmao this shit looks like AI or machine translation or something”
"Cube the Butler" is the new character Ohshima created for Sonic Superstars

I remember that Nintendo announced that they plan to convert a factory into a museum, and it was planned to open on March 2024, so about 7 months from now. https://livejapan.com/en/in-kansai/in-pref-kyoto/in-fushimi_uji/article-a2000661/

Any word on how close it is to completion? Theme parks have more interest in their completion so it's easier to glean how close that Donkey Kong theme expansion is, but not quite for the former plant.

Thank you for reading.

good english text here

Princess Maker 2 and good localization???

VshY3GY.gif

Princess Maker 2 Refine (the version regeneration is based on) also had some bad quality localization. It's a staple of the series now

Yes! I'm completely ready and braced for utter disappointment that today's Tales of event will bring. I expect nothing Switch related, hell even nothing game related. Some concert or silly meetup event.

Good lord, Twitter Blue made Twitter even more insufferable than it already was. All the top replies to every popular movie/video game tweet are Blue users, and we all know what kind of people are paying for it.

On a related note, if I ever become a god I'm erasing the word "woke" from the English language.

I mean... aside from literally just being the past tense version of "wake", the word in its current usage has roots in AAVE
I had to look this up because I was unfamiliar with it. I understand now. I'm just sick of every dumbass bigot using it as an insult. These people will literally look for the dumbest, most normal shit in anything and call it woke and try to get it banned. It gets frustrating.

Just purchased my second lava lamp. Teal liquid with purple wax. Should look gorgeous.
Love a lava lamp.

Still have the one I was given as a present around the turn of the millennium - a white Telstar rocket with white lava.

...and great. Now I'm looking up lava lamps.

So much lava lamp talk. I feel if i had one of those, i would fall asleep on the couch even more often than i already do.

Bow to your king.

swen.jpg

That’s with only 14 reviews still, with the majority of big outlets having yet to put theirs out. If we only took the first 14 reviews into account, TotK would be a 98.

Though it’s too late for any of this to matter. The narrative’s been set, and anyone who disagrees is ‘coping’ or some other bullshit.

I just wish the internet would stop talking about metascores until there's at least (for a big game) ~60+ reviews available.

It sucked with Zelda, it sucked with Elden Ring, it sucks with Baldur's Gate and it will suck with Starfield.

Of course, the best thing would be to stop caring/talking about metascores generally, but i know that's just a nice dream and i myself am guilty of caring about them, not too often, but still too much.

That’s with only 14 reviews still, with the majority of big outlets having yet to put theirs out. If we only took the first 14 reviews into account, TotK would be a 98.

Though it’s too late for any of this to matter. The narrative’s been set, and anyone who disagrees is ‘coping’ or some other bullshit.

It was a joke.

However, Larian doing this well is great. TotK's fight for GotY might not be as easy as the game thought.

I just wish the internet would stop talking about metascores until there's at least (for a big game) ~60+ reviews available.

It sucked with Zelda, it sucked with Elden Ring, it sucks with Baldur's Gate and it will suck with Starfield.

Of course, the best thing would be to stop caring/talking about metascores generally, but i know that's just a nice dream and i myself am guilty of caring about them, not too often, but still too much.
As long as people treat these things like they’re wars where giving any ground is akin to surrender, nothing will ever change. Gaming discourse is just inherently toxic because, even when we’re doing good, we can’t simply enjoy what we have. It always has to be a competiton and any nuance, and anyone deemed in the ‘out group’, always has to be met with the utmost hostility. It's tiring as hell sometimes.
It was a joke.

However, Larian doing this well is great. TotK's fight for GotY might not be as easy as the game thought.
Definitely; I think either game winning would be amazing and, if Starfield can rival things too, then even more so. It’s just that people are, of course, using this success as a beating stick for comparison and fandom wars instead of just enjoying things. I apologise for taking the post too seriously.

Last edited:
Of course, the best thing would be to stop caring/talking about metascores generally
I remember studying journalism back when I was a kid. One of the lessons my teachers kept hammering into me was to never boil down a review to a numerical score.

And now here we are, our reviews of everything from food to BnBs, governed by numbers, and more often than I’d like, only by the numbers.

So amen to that, down with numerical scores.

Be aware of when you put your switch in sleep mode while connected to the network in P5R. Lost some good progress there ;_;

The best kind of year is when there is a close fight between GotY candidates and picking GotY candidates is difficulty, it just means there are a lot of fantastic games to play.

Years where picking a GotY candidate is easy is boring.

Yes! I'm completely ready and braced for utter disappointment that today's Tales of event will bring. I expect nothing Switch related, hell even nothing game related. Some concert or silly meetup event.
Yeah I guessed right. It was some event for Tales of Symphonia's 20th anniversary with some Sakuraba music involved. Should have known, this thing was hosted by ToS VA.

Well, this was it. I should move on to next disappointment. QuakeCon keynote and THQ Nordic event is tomorrow. Let's see what they'll have.

Speaking of lava lamps, one of my favorite Blackwell series moments:

Still waiting for the Blackwell series to come to Switch. Any second now...

Playing Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and have two thoughts:

1. I think Insomniac might be the best studio specializing in games reviewing in the low to mid 80s. Their quality, quantity and consistency are unmatched.
2. Why is it such a pain in the ass to play the older games in the series?

Playing Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and have two thoughts:

1. I think Insomniac might be the best studio specializing in games reviewing in the low to mid 80s. Their quality, quantity and consistency are unmatched.
2. Why is it such a pain in the ass to play the older games in the series?

Last Ratchet game I played was that movie one on PS4. I didn't find it particularly good. Interested in Rift Apart but we'll see. Might try it later down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom