• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quake 2 Remastered today/tomorrow?

Fuck. Yeah.

I'm not a shooter fan, but Quake 2 is a game that lives in my heart.

I’m interested in this one but I still need to try one of the main shows! Plus I may wait for a sale. Tho it’s KT so maybe not

Also, Ok folks, you’re playing Fate Grand order and you summon the new getter Robo version of Benkei Musashi(who is in fact a version of the historical one that’s already in fate), how do you react?

Yeah I guessed right. It was some event for Tales of Symphonia's 20th anniversary with some Sakuraba music involved. Should have known, this thing was hosted by ToS VA.

Well, this was it. I should move on to next disappointment. QuakeCon keynote and THQ Nordic event is tomorrow. Let's see what they'll have.
I mean, QuakeCon at least has Quake II going for it. More gory shooters for Switch.

Just purchased my second lava lamp. Teal liquid with purple wax. Should look gorgeous.
God I wish I could get like a 6' tall lava lamp for my condo, but the stupid things don't come any bigger than 2' 😒

Although I recently learned they now make official lava lamp wall sconces, so I want to cover my entrance hallway with them lmao

Alongside that, I'll always know Ian as the show runner behind the criminally underrated OK KO: Let's Be Heroes! - and to bring things full circle, that show had a episode that crossed over with Sonic the Hedgehog.

God I loved that show, but when I heard it got unceremoniously cancelled after three seasons I couldn't bring myself to finish the last three episodes. I really should though, one day.

The Captain Planet episode was also absolutely phenomenal; I loved they got the original voice actors for Kwame and Captain Planet to join the episode too ahaha

I don t english good
peachvitty.gif

Last Ratchet game I played was that movie one on PS4. I didn't find it particularly good. Interested in Rift Apart but we'll see. Might try it later down the road.
A lot of people seem to consider the 2016 game to be one of the weaker entries though I still found it fun on higher difficulties. Crack in Time is supposedly still the best non-PS2 entry so it feels sufficiently modern tho I can’t say how Rift Apart compares.

God I loved that show, but when I heard it got unceremoniously cancelled after three seasons I couldn't bring myself to finish the last three episodes. I really should though, one day.
Please do. The last episode in particular grapples with the show's abrupt cancellation in a way that made me feel things.

Just checked out GameXplain for the first time in a long time.

First video I see is ‘why TOTK is such a disappointment’ and Andre going on for 90 minutes like he’s talking about Superman 64.

Reminded me of why I stopped going to that channel and no doubt why all the old team left to form a channel called ‘Good Vibes Gaming’.

Playing Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart and have two thoughts:

1. I think Insomniac might be the best studio specializing in games reviewing in the low to mid 80s. Their quality, quantity and consistency are unmatched.
2. Why is it such a pain in the ass to play the older games in the series?
I found Rift Apart a little disappointing after all of the buzz surrounding it. The selling point was that it was one of the first true next generation experiences, but I felt like it was just a real spiffy PS4 game.

So many games coming up! I totally forgot that Pies of P and Baten Kaitos drop the same week in mid-September, just a couple weeks after Starfield, which is just a week or so after Blasphemous 2 and Sea of Stars. And I want to play Baldur's Gate 3 sometime before Mario hits, too. Oof.

EDIT: You know, I'm just leaving that typo

I think 5 games from Rockstar Games is a new record for a Nintendo system, but I’m too lazy to make sure.

So many games coming up! I totally forgot that Pies of P and Baten Kaitos drop the same week in mid-September, just a couple weeks after Starfield, which is just a week or so after Blasphemous 2 and Sea of Stars. And I want to play Baldur's Gate 3 sometime before Mario hits, too. Oof.

Baten Kaitos still doesn’t have a NA price either DX

Just checked out GameXplain for the first time in a long time.

First video I see is ‘why TOTK is such a disappointment’ and Andre going on for 90 minutes like he’s talking about Superman 64.

Reminded me of why I stopped going to that channel and no doubt why all the old team left to form a channel called ‘Good Vibes Gaming’.
Only positives allowed in zelda fan world? I had to scroll for a while to find the video you mentioned and after listening to only the first 4 minutes it doesnt sound like it will be a hateful tirade. Im gonna give it a listen.

I’m interested in this one but I still need to try one of the main shows! Plus I may wait for a sale. Tho it’s KT so maybe not

The more I see of this game (gameplay or cg) I am more interested in it. Don't know about day 1.

KT sales are odd, my theory is that depending on the studio/team the faster it gets a sale lol. Also if they have a partner like Nintendo or Square.

Based on recent games : Gust (3-4 months), TN (3 months), Omega (2 months), Ruby Party (4 months)

Welp, I contracted this new strain of COVID, and lemme tell ya, it's kicking my ass so far. Much, much worse than when I had Omicron in Jan 2022. Stay safe, everyone! I'm still working remotely, but definitely taking things easy. Hopefully this at least gives me an excuse to put some real degen hours into Pikmin 4 this weekend lol

Lord give me the strength to not buy a new USB C dock to use on my fancy new monitor that’s across the room from my TV

...how much would you have to be paid to wear that to a social gathering?

Are we assuming that the next Switch won't have it's own gimmick? Because I feel like it's really going to be VR.

Had to find out from a Futurama shitposting group, RIP 💔

Welp, I contracted this new strain of COVID, and lemme tell ya, it's kicking my ass so far. Much, much worse than when I had Omicron in Jan 2022. Stay safe, everyone! I'm still working remotely, but definitely taking things easy. Hopefully this at least gives me an excuse to put some real degen hours into Pikmin 4 this weekend lol
Oh no, that sounds like hell. Hope you recover quickly my dude. As good a reminder as any to stay on top of the vaccinations, and I'm probably due for my next one in a few weeks or so

Developer: "Look BG3 was made under special circumstances, it isn't realistic to expect it as some sort of standard going forward"

me: "What special circumstances"?

Developer: "Whole lot of crunch"

Me: "But even if that is true, even if they did, all larger RPG studios have been doing that. And they've done it on longer development cycles, with more staff, and larger budgets time and time again over the last generation+ and still even after crunching harder and longer, with more money thrown at it projects come out half finished; so even if they did crunch what else did they do differently?"

Developers :
Lionel.gif

Developer: "Look BG3 was made under special circumstances, it isn't realistic to expect it as some sort of standard going forward"

me: "What special circumstances"?

Developer: "Whole lot of crunch"

Me: "But even if that is true, even if they did, all larger RPG studios have been doing that. And they've done it on longer development cycles, with more staff, and larger budgets time and time again over the last generation+ and still even after crunching harder and longer, with more money thrown at it projects come out half finished; so even if they did crunch what else did they do differently?"

Developers :
Lionel.gif
Despite what you're saying probably being mostly true, I really don't think we need to accept that crunch will always have to be a part of major studio game development.

September is a massive bloodbath for me. Way too many Switch games to buy! Just a snippet of what I'm getting:

Bomberman R2
Baten Katios
Mortal Kombat 1
Nayuta Endless Trails
Rune Factory 3
Gloomhaven
MythForce and many more...
I think 5 games from Rockstar Games is a new record for a Nintendo system, but I’m too lazy to make sure.
I did that for you. Nah it's a tie if you count all three GTA games separately on Switch. But you shouldn't as they're not on sale separately.

GBC had 5 Rockstar games:
GTA1
GTA II
Austin Powers Oh Behave
Dr Evil Welcome to my Underground Lair
Even Knievel

GBA and Wii had 3 each:

GBA:
Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto
Midnight Club

Wii:
Table Tennis
Manhunt 2
Bully

I did that for you. Nah it's a tie if you count all three GTA games separately on Switch. But you shouldn't as they're not on sale separately.

GBC had 5 Rockstar games:
GTA1
GTA II
Austin Powers Oh Behave
Dr Evil Welcome to my Underground Lair
Even Knievel

GBA and Wii had 3 each:

GBA:
Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto
Midnight Club

Wii:
Table Tennis
Manhunt 2
Bully
Either way, it's been a long time since the Gameboy, and I am excited to replay Red Dead Redemption

what's funny is my friend group would probably love seeing me in the polycule shirt. They are very much a "everyone should love everyone, let's have a cuddle puddle" type of group 😅
still wouldn't, tho

Despite what you're saying probably being mostly true, I really don't think we need to accept that crunch will always have to be a part of major studio game development.
I don't want crunch to be accepted but what I also don't want to happen is for bad faith concern about it being used as a cudgel against trying to praise a good game for being good; especially when as far as I'm aware there aren't reports that should lead us to think they ran some sort of terrible environment worse than any other studio. Like this seems less to me like actual concern about pushing back against crunch and more like some sort of agenda being pushed by people speaking on behalf of the higher ups who want to justify why the monetization and live service bullshit is so bad in large scale games and has to be the way it is because reasons so shut up please do not look at that man behind the curtain

Last edited:

The second one I’d be fine with. The first not so much

Just beat Pikmin 4 at 100% and what a great game. The additional freedom that comes from ditching the time limit, the new camera and the doggo fixed every issue I’ve had with the series before. And it’s so much more beautiful than the third. Easily in my top 3 of the year so far.

Looks like I gotta restart my BG3 file. Missed a recruitment event for a character I liked. I was only 10 hours in though and I have a better idea of Act I’s progression now though.

Oh no, that sounds like hell. Hope you recover quickly my dude. As good a reminder as any to stay on top of the vaccinations, and I'm probably due for my next one in a few weeks or so
Thanks buddy. I know I'm definitely overdue for another booster after this whole ordeal is done, but I'll have to look into how often you can get additional vaccinations.

Thanks buddy. I know I'm definitely overdue for another booster after this whole ordeal is done, but I'll have to look into how often you can get additional vaccinations.
If you find out could you @ me and let me know? Friends of mine are still getting covid (as recently as last week) and I live in an area that believes covid was a hoax anyway so I kinda wanna stay protected. BUT I asked the pharmacist about it this month and he said I can't get any boosters after the initial run of, whatever it was, 2 or 3. He said if I completed those then I'm done and literally not allowed any further boosters. But then I'm hearing on the news that health professionals are recommending an annual covid booster going forward so.. like.. I'm confused.

(also hope you feel better soon!)

It's beautiful 😂
“Coming this fall, we take beloved classic character Pinnochio and follow his story as he gets a job at a bakery to pursue his passion for dessert. And also it’s a punishing dystopian Souls-like full of nightmarish automatons - somehow. Why? Find out in:

Pies of P”

Frankly if gamers put even 50% of the effort they expend propping up the "All games are microtransaction GaaS casual trash," narrative into actually playing more games, they'd probably be much much happier with the state of things.

Issue is so many games simply don't count to the typical "gamer." Indie games? Artsy trash. Nintendo games? Kiddy trash. Sony games? Movie trash. Game has a few bugs? Broken trash. Game runs at anything but 60fps? Unplayable trash. And so on. They dismiss so, so many titles and focus so much on just a select few 'approved' games that they inevitably create a scenario where it feels like there's nothing to play.

If you find out could you @ me and let me know? Friends of mine are still getting covid (as recently as last week) and I live in an area that believes covid was a hoax anyway so I kinda wanna stay protected. BUT I asked the pharmacist about it this month and he said I can't get any boosters after the initial run of, whatever it was, 2 or 3. He said if I completed those then I'm done and literally not allowed any further boosters. But then I'm hearing on the news that health professionals are recommending an annual covid booster going forward so.. like.. I'm confused.

(also hope you feel better soon!)
Once I hear, I'll definitely let you know! I only ever got the first booster, so I guess this was a brutal reminder for me to get on that lol :(

Issue is so many games simply don't count to the typical "gamer." Indie games? Artsy trash. Nintendo games? Kiddy trash. Sony games? Movie trash. Game has a few bugs? Broken trash. Game runs at anything but 60fps? Unplayable trash. And so on. They dismiss so, so many titles and focus so much on just a select few 'approved' games that they inevitably create a scenario where it feels like there's nothing to play.
Gotta move them goalposts or else their arguments don't holt water at all. 🤣

I actually used to have a family member who would do that to me with cars. He'd say "Japanese cars are trash and don't make any power," I'd point out that cars like the Supra and Skyline made over 300hp in the 90s, putting them on par with the Corvette and above the Camaros and Mustangs of the day, and he said "no they lie on those horsepower readings, it was proven they all did it" and I pointed out that SAE standards actually govern how the horsepower is measured now, so those readings are legit and he said "bullshit, since when?" and I googled it and found they started standardizing horsepower measurements in the 80s and he said "I'm not talking about the new shit, I'm talking about back in the day when they made REAL cars, in the 60s and 70s" and I'd try to point out that that was incredibly circular because I'm giving him examples of why new cars are also "real" cars that make tons of power and he just kept talking me in circles and telling me everything I said was propaganda and fuck I hated him so much 🙃

I also can't stand "gamers," for similar reasons. Which was my point.

Grögol Fight! and Enjoy Choy are certified bangers, and Window Seat makes me feel like I need to analyze my life

Chaos Bonanza made me do the Patrick Bateman listening to Huey Lewis face multiple times
That is beautifully specific

Once I hear, I'll definitely let you know! I only ever got the first booster, so I guess this was a brutal reminder for me to get on that lol :(
Oh yeah, the latest boosters are almost necessary now. The one they call the "bivalent" booster is the one that was reformulated to protect against a lot of the newer variants, it's the most recent one they made, I think. Ask for it by name. LOL

I'm confused.
I only ever got the first booster

<puts doctor’s coat on>

The current recommendation is that anyone older than 5 years old (and doesn’t have other significant diseases or immune compromise) only need one updated vaccine from either Pfizer or Moderna, regardless of your previous immunization status. Note: it specifically has to be the updated or “bivalent” vaccine.

On the topic of boosters, studies are mixed! The data does not point to a clear benefit from getting annual boosters. I personally do not recommend getting regular booster vaccinations as in my clinical experience, it doesn’t sway the scales significantly. It’s still better to practice proper hygiene, mask usage and social distancing!

<puts doctor’s coat on>

The current recommendation is that anyone older than 5 years old (and doesn’t have other significant diseases or immune compromise) only need one updated vaccine from either Pfizer or Moderna, regardless of your previous immunization status. Note: it specifically has to be the updated or “bivalent” vaccine.

On the topic of boosters, studies are mixed! The data does not point to a clear benefit from getting annual boosters. I personally do not recommend getting regular booster vaccinations as in my clinical experience, it doesn’t sway the scales significantly. It’s still better to practice proper hygiene, mask usage and social distancing!
Awesome, thanks for the info!

So, from your professional perspective, what's this I'm hearing about the vaccines losing their effectiveness after 6 months or so, is that legit?

<puts doctor’s coat on>

This is super helpful! For the bivalent vaccine, when did they start making those widely available?

Chaos Bonanza made me do the Patrick Bateman listening to Huey Lewis face multiple times

I only partially know the reference but am completely delighted

Grögol Fight! and Enjoy Choy are certified bangers, and Window Seat makes me feel like I need to analyze my life

I’m so glad you like them!!

thank you all 💕

So, from your professional perspective, what's this I'm hearing about the vaccines losing their effectiveness after 6 months or so, is that legit?
That’s not true at all. If we knew the vaccines were losing their effectiveness that quickly, we would be pushing for semi-annual vaccinations.

That might be a misunderstanding of what “effectiveness” means for a COVID vaccine. The vaccine does not make you totally immune from infection/reinfection. Its most important effect is that it greatly decreases the risk of getting severe infection and needing hospitalization. The new bivalent vaccines can decrease those nasty complications in otherwise healthy adults by up to 85%! And for that reason I highly recommend getting the updated vaccines.

If your goal is to avoid getting COVID, as I’ve mentioned, proper hygiene, wearing masks and social distancing are still the most optimal methods. Which is why it’s a shame that people have stopped being vigilant (also part of the reason why we’re getting new strains still).

This is super helpful! For the bivalent vaccine, when did they start making those widely available?
The bivalent vaccines have actually been available since September 2022, but they only became the top recommendation for vaccination this March or April, I believe? That’s when the pharmaceuticals started making more of them (and sort of phasing out the previous vaccines).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom