• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like...I'm admittedly a smidge intrigued by Baldur's Gate 3, especially because I have never heard of the first two games before, nor have I been aware of the hype/build up surrounding the title until I realized it released only a few days ago.

I have but two questions: Skyrim* but better? And do I need to have played the first two games to understand what's going on now?

*To this day I still haven't played Skyrim, but one day I'll get cracking on it on Switch. I'm just assuming it's Skyrim vibes based on open-worldness and character customization

So like...I'm admittedly a smidge intrigued by Baldur's Gate 3, especially because I have never heard of the first two games before, nor have I been aware of the hype/build up surrounding the title until I realized it released only a few days ago.

I have but two questions: Skyrim* but better? And do I need to have played the first two games to understand what's going on now?

*To this day I still haven't played Skyrim, but one day I'll get cracking on it on Switch. I'm just assuming it's Skyrim vibes based on open-worldness and character customization
I haven't played either of the first two (or ever played DnD) and I don't think it really matters. It's similar to Skyrim in that it's a big fantasy world with a lot of freedom and consequential choices, but it's not open-world, it's turn-based combat rather than action, and it's an isometric view rather than first-person. It also is very DnD-tied, like you literally do D20 rolls for skill checks (in combat these are done in the background, but in dialogue you literally click on a die)

I haven't played either of the first two (or ever played DnD) and I don't think it really matters. It's similar to Skyrim in that it's a big fantasy world with a lot of freedom and consequential choices, but it's not open-world, it's turn-based combat rather than action, and it's an isometric view rather than first-person. It also is very DnD-tied, like you literally do D20 rolls for skill checks (in combat these are done in the background, but in dialogue you literally click on a die)
Okay now this actually does intrigue me that it does have a basis in DnD, I thought it was just comparisons to it haha

If I ever get some free time in gaming I'd like to add this to the list, seems like it might be up my alley

Okay now this actually does intrigue me that it does have a basis in DnD, I thought it was just comparisons to it haha

If I ever get some free time in gaming I'd like to add this to the list, seems like it might be up my alley
It's not just a basis. It's an officially licensed DnD franchise. I believe the reason there's been such a large gap between entries is because Wizards of the Coast is quite protective of the IP

Anyway it's a fantastic game, I'm ~7 hours in (and won't be able to play again for like a week and a half at least) but you can see the care and attention to detail that has been paid to every element of the game. It very much encourages you to actually role play, rather than attempt to optimize to get the "best" character and story (there's simply too many choices for that to really be an option). I'm finding the combat engaging and fun, and my characters are only at level 3, I hear it opens up even more at level 5

It's not just a basis. It's an officially licensed DnD franchise. I believe the reason there's been such a large gap between entries is because Wizards of the Coast is quite protective of the IP

Anyway it's a fantastic game, I'm ~7 hours in (and won't be able to play again for like a week and a half at least) but you can see the care and attention to detail that has been paid to every element of the game. It very much encourages you to actually role play, rather than attempt to optimize to get the "best" character and story (there's simply too many choices for that to really be an option). I'm finding the combat engaging and fun, and my characters are only at level 3, I hear it opens up even more at level 5
Say word 👀 I'm not going to be delusional and hope for a Switch port only because what I've heard makes it sound very computationally expensive in terms of physics and how it handles its world, but I am definitely keeping an eye on this for the future when I can pick it up!

Bioware made the original two Baldur's Gate games before going to work on KOTOR and Mass Effect. The first Dragon Age was presented as a spiritual successor to their Baldur's Gate games so that might be a better comparison than Skyrim.

It was on my "I'd like to play it at some point this year" list, but it's rapidly moving up. I don't think I'll have time to get to it before Starfield drops, and playing two games that size so close together might be a big ask... too many games this year.

This hero man! I think he's even Dutch, maybe I should meet him. And kudos for the audio engineers at Capcom to make this possible!

Look at this game! Holy shit it's beautiful. Hopefully it's a Switch 2 launch title!

Edit: Used wrong trailer, switched.

Bioware made the original two Baldur's Gate games before going to work on KOTOR and Mass Effect. The first Dragon Age was presented as a spiritual successor to their Baldur's Gate games so that might be a better comparison than Skyrim.
Yeah, this. Although I will say the combat is very much a Larian system - think Divinity Original Sin 2 - rather than a Bioware system, like KOTOR or what I believe the first two Baldur's Gate games were

So I decided to release the OST for my game on bandcamp:

I have no idea how I managed to make 22 unique songs for this game, I've literally never made music before in my life. But I really like how many of them turned out.

Please tell me that "Yar!" comes right after a group of undead pirates sing you a sea shanty, and then the Pirate Captain whips out a saxophone and it launches right into a boss battle while he jams out

Yeah definitely not at all Skyrim. BG3 specifically is probably a lot closer to Divinity Original Sin 1/2 if you've played or seen any of those.
Everyone, I can definitely recommend listening to Skittzo's new album while sitting in a car eating the new Taco Bell grilled cheese dipping taco because the music makes the taco feel like a damn boss battle 🤘
Dammit now you've gone and done it, I need to make a taco boss.

That'll pair well with my Sandwitch:

Sandwitch.png

Yeah definitely not at all Skyrim. BG3 specifically is probably a lot closer to Divinity Original Sin 1/2 if you've played or seen any of those.

Sandwitch.png
Taco Hell(ion)?

I'm almost certain he posted it humorously because it's bizarrely exaggerated and probably sorta meant to make fun of the.. uhh how do I put it politely? the types of game fans who cheer for big corporate acquisitions. Yeah.

Although I'll admit it has more the vibe of something for the "pics that go hard" thread. 😅
Bingo! Sorry no prizes

Sandwitch.png
Tacotrice: It releases foul breath on the party that may turn party members into puddles of guacamole

Please tell me that "Yar!" comes right after a group of undead pirates sing you a sea shanty, and then the Pirate Captain whips out a saxophone and it launches right into a boss battle while he jams out
It's more like the song that plays when the sentient ghost ship hears the bell jingling in your pocket thinking you are its long lost undead captain but then it speeds across the water to see that no, you're just a group of four punks and it's gonna load all ten of its port cannons to wreck your butt

Hey Hollywood execs, if you could stop being dumb for once in your lives and pay your writers and actors that would be amazing. They deserve it, and I'd like to be able to watch Beyond the Spider-Verse before I'm 50 thank you very much.

Hey Hollywood execs, if you could stop being dumb for once in your lives and pay your writers and actors that would be amazing. They deserve it, and I'd like to be able to watch Beyond the Spider-Verse before I'm 50 thank you very much.
Pay their writers and actors, and soon: their VFX artists as well. 😎

Sandwitch.png
Nope, never played/heard of Divinity Original Sin 😋 Either way, while I may not be familiar with the combat mechanics I'm still willing to give it a go either way

Visited a flea market and ended up buying a guide for Pokemon X/Y. I thought that it might be an interesting gift for my nephews. But damn, Pokemon XY is almost 10 years old. I still remember playing Pokemon X as a tertiary student and helping with fan events around the game. Time sure flies and I'm not sure I like that!

p.s. I never completed Pokemon X. I dropped the game at Victory Road.
Be careful with this. At first, it seems like a good idea to pick up a guidebook to bring back memories of an older game or experience a game with cool details and art, but before you know it, you end up with a shit ton of guides across your shelf: a bunch of Nintendo ones dating back before you even started playing games, one for RDR2, and the first-volume guide for Elden Ring despite never having played past the first ten minutes.

…or maybe I just have a spending problem.

Appropriate response, as they're about to flip M(arvel) upside down. 😏
It's almost as if the current MCU run was a bad idea on every conceivable level. They're trying to do way too many projects at once and it's destroying the poor VFX workers, and then the workers get blasted online because of the bad CGI that was caused by crunching. Good on them for unionizing.

Spider-Verse is just as bad when it comes to crunch, but it's more due to constant unnecessary scene revisions than time restraints. It should be a lot easier to clean up.

Rescued Olimar. Having a great time, but will take a break for a few days for Oracle of Seasons and the next episode of the Expanse game before returning for Pikmin 4's postgame.

Holy shit Sega just featured a comic by a guy I've been following since I was in high school.

Fellow olds might remember him as the artist behind the webcomic RPG World some twenty years ago.

see I know him better as one of the core members of the Steven Universe team — and also Rebecca Sugar’s partner.

but I’m also old, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hey everyone, the next Nintendo Direct Speculation ST was scheduled to launch on Tuesday August 15th, but after evaluating everything planned for it I think more time will be needed. Nintendo Direct Speculation ST 6 will now launch in the next 12 hours or so. When I get home tonight I have a few small tweaks left to make and then it’ll go up then. Excited to see you all there :)

It's almost as if the current MCU run was a bad idea on every conceivable level. They're trying to do way too many projects at once and it's destroying the poor VFX workers, and then the workers get blasted online because of the bad CGI that was caused by crunching. Good on them for unionizing.
The only thing Iger said that I've agreed with so far is when he admitted the dude who replaced him (for a while) started packing the Marvel and Star Wars schedules too tightly. I dunno how bad things have to be internally for a CEO to come out and say "yall we're doing too much and stumbling because of it, sorry" but I imagine behind the scenes was not great. Glad we're getting a wholeass industry reset with all eyes on the labor. I hope it'll lead to some better situations for people doing the work (and fuck fuck fuck the people who are profiting immensely off said work).

That was quite a swerve "more time will be needed" so a delay? "I'm launching it today" oh.
They're Ubisofting it

Last edited:
How to make the worst first impression to a group?

Explaining why your discord avatar, which I haven't used since 2016, has a chibi character from an anime that has a questionable(?) name lol.

They're Ubisofting it
Was going for a Xenoblade 3 bump forward since it is basically done anyway :)

I actually planned to launch it early to begin with on Sunday, but I realized two events/games would be better served with extra days. I also heard everyone asking for it so I wanted to get it out early for everyone excited for it so I made sure to basically get it all done last weekend :)

Hey everyone, the next Nintendo Direct Speculation ST was scheduled to launch on Tuesday August 15th, but after evaluating everything planned for it I think more time will be needed. Nintendo Direct Speculation ST 6 will now launch in the next 12 hours or so. When I get home tonight I have a few small tweaks left to make and then it’ll go up then. Excited to see you all there :)

Where is my black text on a yellow background tweet announcing the delay of negative 7 days? This is outrageous!! /s

I recently beaten assassin creed rogue remastered on my ps5 and I’m on chapter 8 on dead space remake. Dead space is still good. It will be my fifth game so far since finding gaming enjoyment since my two health issues this past year. I’m happy to have it back

I may hook the n64 controller for the switch to play Mario 64 again

I’m playing certain older games to see if my opinion has changed. Like assassins creed, grand theft auto, dead space, and some others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom