• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Ace Attorney trial

"The prosecution would like to call a witness to the stand. He can testify that he witnessed the defendant murder the victim. "
Jason-Voorhees-of-Friday-the-13th-in-Freddy-vs-Jason.jpeg

"Your honor, I saw him do it. He cut up the man with a machete. Throw his ass in prison"
Obligatory

While I have 100% confidence in Brandon's ability to write an ending that ties up the plot and has good reveals, and also gets done in a timely manner, I 100% don't have confidence in his ability to write anything close to GRRM's style or characters, lol
Definitely can’t imagine Sanderson being able to emulate RR Martin’s writing. Nah, GRRM has to finish ASOIAF himself.

There is one trial I remember in the first game where the prosecution presents basically no evidence, says like 5 words, and then the Judge basically says "Well, I see no reason to continue!"
Just played through the GAA games and those trials can get maddening, where you have all the hypotheses and evidence laid out but the prosecution can ignore it all because of a tiny hole in the testimony. Sometimes it’s the spite against the rigged system that keeps me going!

Definitely can’t imagine Sanderson being able to emulate RR Martin’s writing. Nah, GRRM has to finish ASOIAF himself.
Sanderson probably isn't the best choice but I feel like there are people who could finish it. Daniel Abraham and/or Ty Frank would be my votes (the duo behind The Expanse, though they have other works solo). Ty Frank was even GRRM's personal assistant so he's practically the default choice

But all that depends on if GRRM is even OK with anyone continuing the series

Someone posted a video with Etika dancing to the Moebius action climax theme and now I'm doin a sad
I was a user on the other forum when everything with Etika went down. I'll never forget how they made fun of him before his body was found, saying that he was faking it for the attention. I never realized how mean the internet could be before that point. I was pretty innocent back then. And then most of them acted all sad when the news came out. Fucking bullshit.

I was a user on the other forum when everything with Etika went down. I'll never forget how they made fun of him before his body was found, saying that he was faking it for the attention. I never realized how mean the internet could be before that point. I was pretty innocent back then. And then most of them acted all sad when the news came out. Fucking bullshit.
jesus, I had no idea. What a miserable way to look at the world, to assume right off the bat that someone would fake that for internet points.

Ty Frank was even GRRM's personal assistant
Woah, I didn’t know about that! It could work, him taking up the mantle. Though of course I’d want GRRM himself to finish his series!

jesus, I had no idea. What a miserable way to look at the world, to assume right off the bat that someone would fake that for internet points.
It wasn’t just that site too, I saw the same sentiment across various forums. The internet was especially ugly during those times…

Etika was treated like a punching bag by the entire online community in the weeks before and around his death. The other forum just joined in. I thought the forum was better than that. It was supposed to be a supportive community, not whatever that was. The mods didn't act until after the body was reported, and even then it was more due to the rest of the forum learning about the thread with the bullying and being fucking pissed.

Mental health should be taken seriously, forever and always. It's my belief that had the internet treated him better he'd still be around today.

The final video uploaded by Etika is still able to be watched on YouTube. It was made just minutes before he passed. The video is effectively his note. He believed that his life and death would serve as a cautionary tale. That's not how someone should view their own life. He talked about things and people he would miss and apologized for stuff he had done wrong. He deserved better. He was very clearly a good man, someone that needed help he was never able to get.

To everyone on this forum, please take mental health seriously. No matter who it is. You don't know what others are going through.

I somehow played the hell out of Pikmin 4 the last few days. This is the only one I actually liked, but I want to complete 2 someday.

The Dandori stuff should just be a game of its own at this point, It surprised me how much I liked that factor and I was always hyped to find a new battle. Some of them can get pretty difficult.

Just got a few more night missions and I might try to platinum some of my favorite Dandori battles that I haven't already.

cool side thing thats probably a spoiler to most people
I also have to do Olimar's journey
Been kind of having a lousy time in general and this was a very good way to keep my mind off of things.

Very unsure what to play next as I have been having trouble lately sticking to anything, but I'm glad I gave this a try despite Pikmin not being my series.

I'm definitely getting Baldur's Gate 3 - despite never having played the series before - but I'll have to wait for the Xbox version next year. Which, really, is a good thing given I'm only making very slow progress with my current games (Pikmin 4 and Oracle of Seasons), and given I don't know how I'll juggle the remaining RPGs I wanted to play this year (Octopath Traveler 2, Sea of Stars, XBC3 Future Redeemed, Starfield, maybe Super Mario RPG). But sure looks like 2023 is one special year across the board, with the new generation finally clicking into gear and Switch enjoying a prolonged swansong period.

I could share my Game of Thrones thoughts, but given I've yet to get showered, dressed, or have coffee and breakfast, I can't write much longer. Fatigue kicking my ass following a weekend away.

While it looks good, I personally can't justify buying BG3 with all these other games still waiting for me in my backlog. Even with my current library of games across PC and Switch I'm feeling overwhelmed right now. I could probably stop playing on PC this very instant and still have so much to play on Switch that I'd be good for both 2023 and freakin' 2024, and it's not like my time for gaming is increasing, like at all. Getting something like BG3 then would finish me. :'D

I just need to hold out hope that BG3 will by some miracle make it to Switch 2, otherwise I really will never have a chance to sit down and play it.

Oh yeah, it's Armored Core VI preload day!
Oh no, it's Armored Core VI preload day...

I still have to beat Pikmin 4... I have Baldur's Gate 3 waiting on my PC... AHHHHHH

EDIT: AND Pokemon TCG on NSO AHHHHH

Not to mention Into The Breach still sucking up time AHHHHH

Last edited:
I'd consider buying more games, like Divinity Original Sin 2 (since I don't own a platform to play Baldur's Gate 3), but I still haven't finished Zelda lol. Help.

so you’re saying it’s a great simulation of real law?
How else can anyone stand to be in a courtroom if not for a cocktail of anger and discomfort?

I'd consider buying more games, like Divinity Original Sin 2 (since I don't own a platform to play Baldur's Gate 3), but I still haven't finished Zelda lol. Help.
We all need help

BG3 isn't even on my radar because I have no time for it. Heck, I've barely been paying attention to Starfield and I might not even play that Day 1 at this rate. I'm 10 hours in in Pikmin 4. About halfway through Oracle of Seasons with Ages still to go. Apparently another 60 hours to complete The Great Ace Attorney collection.

Honestly, NSO and DLC has screwed up my play schedule for this year. Every time I think I'll have enough time to play through something, Nintendo announces something that throws a wrench into those plans. Advance Wars? Sorry, Xenoblade 3: Future Redeemed is coming out next week. Oh, and here's Minish Cap as well. Pikmin 4? Here are the Oracle games. That Fire Emblem Engage DLC is still waiting for you to play.

So I decided to release the OST for my game on bandcamp:

I have no idea how I managed to make 22 unique songs for this game, I've literally never made music before in my life. But I really like how many of them turned out.

I still have the FF Pixel Remasters sitting in the shrink wrap while I finish Zelda, and I have Baten Kaitos and Live A Live showing up next month, on top of the rest of the backlog

I have no idea how I managed to make 22 unique songs for this game, I've literally never made music before in my life. But I really like how many of them turned out.

everybody go listen!!

i may or may not have played some small role in this by haranguing @Skittzo about the joys of just going for it — making music for your own chaotic game universe is good for the soul!

and then also maybe harangued him about putting it on Bandcamp (so I can blast Mineral of Madness while pretending to be functional in Zoom meetings…)

Oh no, it's Armored Core VI preload day...

I still have to beat Pikmin 4... I have Baldur's Gate 3 waiting on my PC... AHHHHHH

EDIT: AND Pokemon TCG on NSO AHHHHH

Not to mention Into The Breach still sucking up time AHHHHH
Diablo 4 aside, I have been clearing my backlog over the last couple of weeks and months, so I am definitely ready.

Things are about to become a whole lot busier with AC6 and Starfield in quick succession, though.

everybody go listen!!

i may or may not have played some small role in this by haranguing @Skittzo about the joys of just going for it — making music for your own chaotic game universe is good for the soul!

and then also maybe harangued him about putting it on Bandcamp (so I can blast Mineral of Madness while pretending to be functional in Zoom meetings…)
Said dual haranguement was much appreciated! 🙏

How dare you waltz in here and drop wall to wall bangers on a school night?

i challenge every single one of you to make a song even if you’ve never made one before and drop it on Bandcamp

the music lives inside you already

go for it!!

i challenge every single one of you to make a song even if you’ve never made one before and drop it on Bandcamp

the music lives inside you already

go for it!!
Many years ago, I tried making a song in MTV Music Generator 2 for the PS2. I never made much more than a fairly simple loop with drums bass and guitar. I can still remember how it sounds to this day though.

Actually I feel the urge, what's a good program to fuck around with music making in?

Many years ago, I tried making a song in MTV Music Generator 2 for the PS2. I never made much more than a fairly simple loop with drums bass and guitar. I can still remember how it sounds to this day though.

Actually I feel the urge, what's a good program to fuck around with music making in?
truly whatever you can access

make sounds into your phone! layer them if you want!

Audacity for some basic and somewhat scary straight-up audio editing and or layering

Garageband, nanoloop, Korg Gadget on Switch or phone, https://onlinesequencer.net/…

don’t know Windows ones as well but you can surely find something

and like I cannot emphasize this enough:

never let the lack of the right tool stop you

treat it like a challenge

like play your first track back on speakers and then record the second layer directly onto your phone to build it up

just go wild

some of the best stuff about motown and all the wildest music / audio people is doing weird things with interesting limitations

a motown example — no easy reverb, so they just played tracks back in the bathtub, cut a hole in the ceiling, and recorded the reverb track in the attic

point is you don’t have to engineer shit or buy expensive software — just make something and let the roughness around the edges be part of the charm!!

truly whatever you can access

make sounds into your phone! layer them if you want!

Audacity for some basic and somewhat scary straight-up audio editing and or layering

Garageband, nanoloop, Korg Gadget on Switch or phone, https://onlinesequencer.net/…

don’t know Windows ones as well but you can surely find something

and like I cannot emphasize this enough:

never let the lack of the right tool stop you

treat it like a challenge

like play your first track back on speakers and then record the second layer directly onto your phone to build it up

just go wild

some of the best stuff about motown and all the wildest music / audio people is doing weird things with interesting limitations

a motown example — no easy reverb, so they just played tracks back in the bathtub, cut a hole in the ceiling, and recorded the reverb track in the attic

point is you don’t have to engineer shit or buy expensive software — just make something and let the roughness around the edges be part of the charm!!
This is exactly the advice I was looking for, thank you!

I'll see what I can do this week and report back with results.

someone once told me this about composing with sounds / mixing music: “if you can’t fix it, feature it”

I’m always of the opinion that getting weird with it is worthwhile

I used FL Studio, since a long time ago my brother and I played around with Fruityloops (which is what FL Studio used to be). The catch is you can't save a project with just the free license but luckily for me my brother did buy a lifetime license back then which shockingly they've honored like 20 years later.

You can still export a project with a free license IIRC, so you can make wav files or whatnot.

Last edited:
I used FL Studio, since a long time ago my brother and I played around with Fruityloops (which is what FL Studio used to be). The catch is you can't save a project with just the free license but luckily for me my brother did buy a lifetime license back then which shockingly they've honored like 20 years later.

You can still export a project with a free license IIRC, so you can make wav files or whatnot.
I should probably mention I'm limited to an Android phone and an aging Windows PC, but I'll definitely search around to see what's available.

I have to finish Pokémon Scarlet because I'm really intrigued by the DLCs but it's hard to come back to this game after TotK...
The DLC information yesterday motivated me to do another run of Scarlet... while I'm also doing a run of Black on my 3DS.

Holy shit Sega just featured a comic by a guy I've been following since I was in high school.

Fellow olds might remember him as the artist behind the webcomic RPG World some twenty years ago.

Please tell me this is a meme and not some stupid real thing gamers put out on social media? I mean, I cannot even tell what is dark sarcasm, just humour and real opinions on the internet anymore.
These days I would genuinely expect a chunk of the gaming populace to unironically think this. 😅

Please tell me this is a meme and not some stupid real thing gamers put out on social media? I mean, I cannot even tell what is dark sarcasm, just humour and real opinions on the internet anymore.
Yeah I'm a bit flummoxed as to the purpose of that image being posted here, not gonna lie.

FromSoftware I get, but I don't think it's fair to accuse Larian without us knowing more. It has been in early access for several years, maybe they just had extra time.

Maybe, and I sure hope so, but early access for so long is not necessarily a good sign, early access is often synonymous with more pressure on the employees, given that you have to deal with player requests and remarks on top of the ones from the higher-ups at the studio

Swen commented on crunch in a video interview, they have studios in another part of the globe, so when they go to sleep in Belgium, they wake up in another studio to continue the work.

Yeah I'm a bit flummoxed as to the purpose of that image being posted here, not gonna lie.
I'm almost certain he posted it humorously because it's bizarrely exaggerated and probably sorta meant to make fun of the.. uhh how do I put it politely? the types of game fans who cheer for big corporate acquisitions. Yeah.

Although I'll admit it has more the vibe of something for the "pics that go hard" thread. 😅

These days I would genuinely expect a chunk of the gaming populace to unironically think this. 😅
Really, I quit social media years ago because things I thought were like sarcasm, turned out to be opinions haha!

Haha, yeah, it's posted without context so that's why my question :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom