• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking with my disabled partner about this

and though there are definitely some like UI scaling issues, there are also so many more ways to engage with the world that don’t make it the same kind of struggle that previous FromSoft titles have been

like everything is still challenging obviously but there has never been more complete freedom of approach. you can get the horse and just travel and get runes without killing… almost anything.

you can uncover huge swaths of map by sneaking and running

you can get abilities that entirely change how you play just by fucking around and exploring

you can get through the whole first major plot castle with a magic / ice ability by timing your stomps and sneaking (I can’t speak to the rest but I’m hypothetically nearly to the boss in this one)

you can get spirits that do a bunch of fighting for you, and summon coop AIs to help whittle down most of a boss while you shield a lot and get a couple ranged hits in

there are so many ways to play it that actually let you slow down and take it at your own pace, even moment to moment, and it was actually truly designed for that

that doesn’t mean there aren’t accessibility improvements to be made

but it seems like a false equivalency to act like praise for Elden Ring is shitting on accessible design in other games

and frankly, though I would like to see more accessibility and options in games, depending on the structure and intent…

we don’t… we don’t really think every game has to be a bastion of accessibility

like improvements, absolutely, and more consideration, always

but like nobody’s shitting on Olli Olli World for thrashing my partner’s finger joints (they enjoy the game and aren’t going to stop but they also have to very carefully limit the time they spend playing it)

and though maybe it would be fun to have a slower mode in that for accessibility, it’s a game about flicking sticks in directions to be a fast and fancy skateboarder

again I’m by no means arguing against accessibility

I’m just… kind of confused about the chunk of the discourse I’ve seen, and so is my disabled partner

maybe we’re missing something
I'm not acting like praise for Elden Ring is shitting on accessible design in other games - I'm specifically referring to tweets and rhetoric like the below:

Ones made by ignorant people who assume that improving UX and including more accessibility features is akin to making these games into "Crappy Ubisoft games." Like that initial set of tweets everyone was dunking on said nothing about difficulty (arguably quest design is 'difficulty', but in many Souls games it's more just "look up a guide or get lucky," which ain't difficult or fun), yet the backlash represented them as 'salty developers who want to ruin From's precious vision.'

(I say ignorant because no games look like the image in that tweet nowadays - they just have UIs that aren't stuck in the 00s lol)

Like, over in Era there's a thread where people are legitimately saying that a lack of a pause function is key to the Souls experience... despite Sekiro already including a pause function, and the Demon's Souls remake including a quasi-pause function with Photo Mode. Stuff like better subtitles, better control mapping (e.g. letting people toggle sprinting), visible audio cues, and so on are similar, where if people are to ask for them or, dare say, imply that From's games are worse-off due to their exclusion, it's assumed that they want From to "ruin their vision."

Either way - I do love the Souls games, but I'm honestly just getting tired of the notion that they are these completely perfect set of games where every thing is completely intentional and "part of Miyazaki's vision." Especially when it's used to shit on other visions, implying that developers like Guerilla Games don't have a "vision," in the way From do. That doesn't mean I think Elden Ring doesn't deserve its substantial praise, but in much the same way you're unlikely to see the lack of racial diversity in the game's character creator bought up as a negative in reviews made by white people, it's unlikely that you'll ever see things like accessibility, UX and quest design brought up in reviews made by Souls fans.

Last edited:
I will agree that the "vision" arguments have always been silly. At some point it was part of From's vision to put bonfires far away from each other to make walking back to a boss as tedious challenging as possible. Now they put many of them right next to fog walls and somehow people still enjoy these games.

Now that Triangle Strategy is out, can we have news about Dragon Quest 3 remake please.
I think they are going to focus more now on promoting Live A Live and then its going to be DQ 3 remake turn ( I hope we get a release date or something before Live A Live release though)

It's my vision to turn Famiboards into DKboards, and anyone who opposes gets to spend time with Swanky Kong in his van down by the river.

I don’t know what the cutoff is for geriatric millennial but that’s an excellent term.

38 going on 39.

I’m assuming geriatric millennial is what Gen Y was lol when I was a kid we were called Gen Y and then at some point around 2004 or so all of a sudden we were erased lol

I’ll be 40 this year lol so now y’all make me feel old

Bowser's Fury at 30fps is really disappointing.
Playing for the first time now and I got so used to 60fps on Mario games that it feels really weird playing it with 30fps.

I don’t know what the cutoff is for geriatric millennial but that’s an excellent term.

38 going on 39.
I consider it anyone in those first 4-6 years of the millennial group. Frankly I like the term X-ennial as the early millennials have a decent amount in common with late Gen X, but “generations” need some cutoff. So now I just embrace that I’m the older one in the group.

Turning 32 in two months time. Where does the time go.

I can still pass for barely over 21 when I am fully shaved lol

Bowser's Fury at 30fps is really disappointing.
Playing for the first time now and I got so used to 60fps on Mario games that it feels really weird playing it with 30fps.

Despite my love for handheld gaming I played it docked (60 fps)

If your games has more frames per second than you have years in your age you're too young.
So does this mean I‘m only allowed to play games that are sub 25 fps on average? I guess my choices are reduced to games that run badly on switch and text adventures.

Did you like the first one? H2 just looks like that but... more and better.
I did! Quite liked the first one actually. H2 is perhaps the slowest game I have ever played.

The big issue with H2 is the story isn't about the interesting parts of Horizon, it's more about the innerworkings of the tribes of the world. So if you're like me and you don't give a shit about the Carja or the Tenakth or whatever tribe is at play then a lot of the story just means nothing.

Not to mention that Horizon in general has what I call the Avatar problem where none of the characters from the first one are even remotely memorable. So in H2 there's a character who you find right at the start of the game who I guess played a big role in the original based on the story beats. My immediate reaction was wait who the fuck is that? Later, while you're with him, he says "sorry about the whiskers they grew while I was looking for you" to which Aloy says something extremely snarky about, and I was like man had zero idea you didn't always have a beard.

There are like 4 more interactions with that with characters you're supposed to remember from the first one and I think of all of them I only remembered like 1 and that's cause I remembered his weird beard he has.

Like, over in Era there's a thread where people are legitimately saying that a lack of a pause function is key to the Souls experience... despite Sekiro already including a pause function, and the Demon's Souls remake including a quasi-pause function with Photo Mode. Stuff like better subtitles, better control mapping (e.g. letting people toggle sprinting), visible audio cues, and so on are similar, where if people are to ask for them or, dare say, imply that From's games are worse-off due to their exclusion, it's assumed that they want From to "ruin their vision."

Either way - I do love the Souls games, but I'm honestly just getting tired of the notion that they are these completely perfect set of games where every thing is completely intentional and "part of Miyazaki's vision." Especially when it's used to shit on other visions, implying that developers like Guerilla Games don't have a "vision," in the way From do. That doesn't mean I think Elden Ring doesn't deserve its substantial praise, but in much the same way you're unlikely to see the lack of racial diversity in the game's character creator bought up as a negative in reviews made by white people, it's unlikely that you'll ever see things like accessibility, UX and quest design brought up in reviews made by Souls fans.
the preciousness around criticizing souls games is pretty silly; they've proven time and time again that they have zero interest in changing their design ethos. but I do like that we're seeing a lot of conversation around both open world design and UX design as a result of elden ring's success. a lot of people are real tired of cookie cutter open world design, myself included. and elden ring obviously has some UI/UX issues, but people working in that field calling the game's interface objectively bad, as if it's a solved problem? pretty embarrassing imo

I did! Quite liked the first one actually. H2 is perhaps the slowest game I have ever played.

The big issue with H2 is the story isn't about the interesting parts of Horizon, it's more about the innerworkings of the tribes of the world. So if you're like me and you don't give a shit about the Carja or the Tenakth or whatever tribe is at play then a lot of the story just means nothing.

Not to mention that Horizon in general has what I call the Avatar problem where none of the characters from the first one are even remotely memorable. So in H2 there's a character who you find right at the start of the game who I guess played a big role in the original based on the story beats. My immediate reaction was wait who the fuck is that? Later, while you're with him, he says "sorry about the whiskers they grew while I was looking for you" to which Aloy says something extremely snarky about, and I was like man had zero idea you didn't always have a beard.

There are like 4 more interactions with that with characters you're supposed to remember from the first one and I think of all of them I only remembered like 1 and that's cause I remembered his weird beard he has.
The only thing I cared about in the first one was shooting big robo dinosaurs but there was a lot of other stuff that was very distracting which is why I never finished it. This doesn't sound like it fixes my issues with the first game, sadly.

Me seeing all the fami in their 20s:
Heheh lookit all the babies

Me seeing all the fami in their 30s:
Heheh lookit all the olds

Ok I got a fun discussion point, favorite video game cover of a song from a licensed show(so the game is a licensed game and they did a custom version of a song from the show for backing tracks). Not to common these days but definitely common back in the 16 but era. Though I got it a bit easy since one of my faves is Super Robot Wars and half the ost tends to fall in that category. So here’s a fun one from SRW X, a cover of the second opening of Nadia: The secret of the blue water

(Fun fact, this was one of the shows Anno did pre-Evangelion) also original for comparison

wow i guess you could say we've become a

Gaming/Age Forum
XS5LK.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom