• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
yall have any idea how damn hard it is to do therapy when for the whole hour your brain is just going 🎶Cerveza Cristal🎶

…I don’t even know what Roblox is other than hearing the name before
now-old.gif

Sending good vibes your way. Play something you like and get some chill tomorrow!
Thanks. I decided not to be overly stressed about my backlog

I’m thinking of buying a couple on switch to pass the time. Rebirth has been good but I want stuff to play on my switch. I’m starting to feel burnt on Pokémon in particular

Trying to rebuild my wardrobe but it's crazy how you have to get to have a decent selection. I've just bought about 25 or so pieces of clothing and I still feel like I could use more lol. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need to buy some more trainers cause I don't have enough white ones to go with my trousers 😭

I used to play soooooooo much Roblox in the early 2010s

still fuck around in tycoons every now and then tbh

Hot damn my kids are gonna love the Peach game. Especially because there's literally Elsa Peach and Ariel Peach.

would love to see the sales #s for Rebirth so far. I'm noticing less enthusiasm for it than Remake in my circles which seems weird considering the much better critical reception this one had. Also noticing a lot of "I want to get Rebirth but need to beat Remake first" Edit: also lots of "what's Integrade?"

would love to see the sales #s for Rebirth so far. I'm noticing less enthusiasm for it than Remake in my circles which seems weird considering the much better critical reception this one had. Also noticing a lot of "I want to get Rebirth but need to beat Remake first"
Word of mouth seems really good, and the general reception from the RPG community at least is that’s it’s a much better game than Remake - there’s a lot of buzz there. The question is how much the less hardcore crowd and more general public are picking it up.

I was aware of Roblox when I was a kid, that it apparently is still kicking over a decade later and has become an immensely popular child labor sweatshop for the next generation was weird to wrap my head around.

o
m
g

I've never really known how to describe it, but same. I grew up loving game music and movie soundtracks, and eventually started getting big into jpop once I discovered anime, and reactions from other people throughout my life have been, like, not great. 😅 Ranging from bafflement to bullying, because I didn't listen to "normal" music with "lyrics in English" that "you can actually understand."

And I'd try to explain how much more the music part hooked me than the lyrics, and that most of what uhh.. dunno if this is fair or accurate but the way I always said it was "what was on the radio" just never really interested me because it seemed to be more about flat melodies that you could sing lyrics over, and the lyrics never meant much to me. And it eventually became obvious to me that I can barely even understand the lyrics that are in English. So to my ears, Japanese and English lyrics were mostly the same because my ears mostly just caught melody and sound without crisply hearing/understanding what the words were saying or meaning.

So people kept telling me I was supposed to pay attention to lyrics, that omitting lyrics (or listening to lyrics in other languages) was weird, and that I must've been trying to be weird or weeby or whatever. But my mind always focused on the musical part instead, and to my tastes jpop just kicked American pop's ass in that regard. 😅

Eventually (as in just a couple years ago) I'd start finding music theory channels on YouTube that delve into the differences in melodic trends between Japan and America and that helped me understand what was so different that I liked (also explained my love of Rick Astley, IYKYK) and then of course there's my absolute adoration for video game and film OSTs. Because no lyrics to worry about there, just pure instrumentals, which clicked perfectly with what my ears wanted. Mitsuda, Kondo, Uematsu, Wise, everyone here is familiar with them, but then I've also had John Williams, Howard Shore, and Alan Silvestri in my rotation since I was a kid.

Hell, as I type this I'm listening to Daft Punk's Infinity Repeating, which does have lyrics but they use them more like a musical instrument that accentuates the overall music, which I love about Daft Punk. But the stuff that's lyric-focused, which as you point out is what a lot of popular genres tend to do, just kinda bounces off me. Only really lyricy western band that I ever became obsessed with was Queen, because Brian May's riffs are otherworldly and as far as the lyrics go Freddie himself is a musical instrument.

God this got bigger and more meandering than I meant for it to

uh

music's good yall, I'm not very knowledgeable about it but I sure fuckin love it 🤘
Funny enough, music is a huge part of my life now. To the extent where I'd like to say I "write" music, although there are a lot of asterisks there. But I had very little interest in music growing up. You know what two songs I actively wanted to listen to as a kid? The Jurassic Park theme, and Reflections of Earth from Epcot. It's difficult to describe how well it captured my imagination. I sort of had names for different parts of it in my head based on what it sounded like to me. Like 3:15 was "desert", and I imagined things like skeletons rising out of the dirt under a red sky, and 8:35 was "festival", and I imagined fireworks and colorful kites flying through the air at night.

In my early teens, I started taking notice of video game music, and pretty much listened to nothing but, and that was when I first started to really notice the difference between it and popular music. The main thing I fixated on, which attracted me to video game music over other things, was that video game music has an aesthetic subject. I took a classical music class in college, and one of the concepts they talked about was program music vs absolute music. Program music is music that is about something. The Nutcracker Suite is program music. On the other hand, Beethoven's 5th Symphony is absolute music, music that exists purely for its own sake and has no hint of a subject matter. It doesn't even really have a set tone, flitting between ominous and cheerful at the drop of a hat.

I would argue that, on average, popular music leans much closer to absolute music in function despite almost never being absolute music in definition. It almost always expresses some idea, but it's usually a very simple idea. Like, the first 50 or so songs The Beatles wrote are all about girls. They had a tone, whether it was sadness or elation, but that was about it. And the funny thing about lyrics is, "normal music" generally has pretty damn ignorable lyrics. Whether it's "oh girl, oh baby, oh darling" or "let's get turnt tonight", pop songs are not exactly known for conveying complex or original ideas. And even when something does have a lot going on lyrically, like Bob Dylan, that doesn't necessarily translate to aesthetic.

See, to briefly describe what I love about Donkey Kong Country's music, it's the way that say, Busted Bayou can paint more of a picture of the environment than the folder full of hundreds of different sound effects exclusively for that level, most of which you probably couldn't hear over the music at all. You could practically say that the music transports you to that place, or that the music in large part is the place. This just isn't typical of what you would hear on the radio, unless "the place" is a club with bisexual lighting where everyone is depressed and on drugs (I haven't heard what's on the radio in like a decade so this is circa like uh 2015 shhh). ...There was a major exception to this I was aware of, though.

My mom was one of those people who had like 2 CDs in the car at one time. I assume that's a type of person, but I haven't been in many cars with CD players in my lifetime. She was also a teenage girl in the early 1980's. So, a surprisingly large portion of my childhood was set to Duran Duran's 2007 album Red Carpet Massacre. Justin Timberlake was on it for some reason. It's not particularly well-liked, usually considered one of their worst records, although I think its image would be significantly improved if it got a new mix by someone who had any idea what they were doing, because a recording of a live performance off of someone's TV sounds clearer than the actual album. But I digress. See, Duran Duran are a very aesthetic band. That aesthetic has constantly shifted over time, but the image they are most associated with is a romanticist one of exotic jetsetting adventures and vaguely occult crypticism. Image was a huge deal for them, as one of the pioneers of music videos. Their two core members, singer Simon Le Bon and keyboardist Nick Rhodes, consistently contribute a certain central identity to the band. Simon's lyrics are generally cryptic nonsense, and Nick's contributions are defined by him not being particularly good at playing the keyboard but having a lot of interest in like, art galleries and shit.

The result is, well... The first song on Red Carpet Massacre is called The Valley. It's about walking, and then running, through The Valley, a place with tall grass and shadows. That's it. All of the instrumentation, all further detail in the lyrics, like "you think you're happy, think you're free, but maybe we're just comfortably dizzy", which doesn't mean anything... It's all in service of a mood. The song is an image. It's a place. This is not at all uncommon, to a greater or lesser degree, in Duran Duran's discography. And I picked up on this strong, what I called color, when other music so frequently lacked much of it. It's not a hard rule, but music with a lot of synthesizer tends to way more easily end up with an atmosphere for whatever reason, and I also picked up on that. I had a whole phase where I set up a Pandora radio station and got way into 80's pop music.

To keep a long story from going even longer, the gist of it is that I came into music from video game music. And even as I developed tastes that went beyond just "atmosphere", it was a recurring theme that I could not get away from. I fell in love with The Beach Boys because of songs like Cool, Cool Water and Wind Chimes which were all about expressing a Thing through music and often used stuff like chewing celery as instruments to enhance that objective. Tonally, it reminds me a lot of Banjo-Kazooie, where the music is accompanied by chirping birds or steam whistles, and everything is in the same style yet also totally evocative of its environment in the most joyfully silly and unrestrained way. My favorite Led Zeppelin song became Kashmir, which depicts a Tolkien-ified version of the imagery of the Sahara desert. I adore the vast yet intimate wintry landscapes of both Radiohead's Kid A and Björk's Vespertine, and I often use the former as a sleep aid because it's relaxing enough to sleep to but chaotic enough to occupy my brain.

Really active music is another thing. One of my favorite songs of all time is The Great Curve by Talking Heads, if that gives an idea. I am not maximalist in most things, but with music, I crave complexity. The main reason I don't often get on with lyrics-heavy music is because the music part is frequently just there to accompany the lyrics. It's not that I don't like interesting lyrics. There are plenty of songs where I still like the lyrics. It's just that lyrics don't need to be there at all for me like for other people, they're never going to carry a song.

...And hey, guess what frequently has very colorful high intensity music that isn't afraid to get weird and abrasive? I listen to a lot of other things now, but I still have the absolutely scorching take that your average successful game composer (just anyone whose music actually gets noticed in a positive fashion) is far more talented than your average successful popular music composer. How many bands will ever explore the breadth of genres across their entire careers that Koji Kondo does in Mario 64 alone? Even if most of the absolute best music ever made isn't from video games due to the frequent limitations afflicting them with things like sound quality and song length and looping and whatnot, I think it's way easier to find interesting game music than it is popular music, which is so frequently just boring in comparison. And I don't just mean chart stuff. I listened to over 1000 songs released in 2020, most of them singles that were highly rated on Rate Your Music, so it was mostly more hipster-ish material and was already pre-curated by hundreds of people. And probably less than 40 of those songs were interesting enough to even give a second glance.

Well, although I am the first to champion Springsteen's prose, I'd be remiss if not to mention the Wall Of Sound™ that accompanies almost all his music 😋 His method of songwriting amounts to that if you were to strip away all the pomp, grandeur, and sax (if he was feeling especially sacrilegious), there would still be a song of substance.

But, if the orchestrations and melodies are more your jam, listening to any of his older albums since they got remastered in 2009, you can easily pick out just one instrument at a time and delight in all its subtleties and personalities, from guitar to sax to snare to tom to bass kick to bass to piano to synth to harmonica to glockenspiel. Not to mention, any live concert experience of his is baptism by rock n roll, and when there's nowhere to hide from the sound and just let it engulf you...it damn near makes me believe in a higher power.

You know what, the Wall of Sound might actually be what has always put me off! I've got a volatile relationship with the concept. I like music that sounds enormous, love The Beach Boys, I love the fuzzy warm SNES sound that most people seem to hate even, but it can just as easily put me off as draw me in. On the title track of Born to Run or that performance of Dancing in the Dark, it's definitely putting me off, in a similar way to Phil Spector's production on Beatles stuff. Great songs, but I kind of hate the way they sound.

My favorites off of Born to Run though were Backstreets and especially Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, although I feel like that one doesn't really "count" because I liked it the most due to it just sounding like a Rolling Stones song. He even sings it like Jagger!

Well, although I am the first to champion Springsteen's prose, I'd be remiss if not to mention the Wall Of Sound™ that accompanies almost all his music 😋 His method of songwriting amounts to that if you were to strip away all the pomp, grandeur, and sax (if he was feeling especially sacrilegious), there would still be a song of substance.

But, if the orchestrations and melodies are more your jam, listening to any of his older albums since they got remastered in 2009, you can easily pick out just one instrument at a time and delight in all its subtleties and personalities, from guitar to sax to snare to tom to bass kick to bass to piano to synth to harmonica to glockenspiel. Not to mention, any live concert experience of his is baptism by rock n roll, and when there's nowhere to hide from the sound and just let it engulf you...it damn near makes me believe in a higher power.

I actually vibe with this explanation so hard. Ever since I was a kid, I always had a tough time parsing lyrics from a song so while I never understood what was being sung, I just took the idea of a voice as another instrument and compared it to how well it complemented the rest of the song. Even now, unless I have lyrics right in front of me to read, I rarely understand a song fully no matter how many times I hear it before then.

When I do understand lyrics and a singers intentions, it's like rediscovering a song all over again for the first time which is pleasant in its own way, but yeah if I can vibe with a song from the get go based on melodies and instrumentation alone, it's definitely fire

GEsQkv7XYAANIPQ.jpg

It's just as silly in maple syrup land (but I'll be the first to admit that this is extremely intuitive to me and used in regular conversation lol)

Switchum, I am so sorry for your loss 💜 For the times I did get to tune in, it was fun sending questions you and your grandpa's way, and he definitely had such a warm and fun personality. The world feels emptier right now, but those memories you carry with him are how he and his legacy live on, and that's bigger than any one human could physically be. I hope that every new experience you find when playing Zelda in the future, your reminded of the good times you got to share with your Grandpa, as well as envision what his reactions would be at every new discovery as if he were playing alongside you

I never would have pictured Bruce Springsteen when I think of “wall of sound” music but that live performance is kind of there! I love music like that. More layers, more synth, more guitar, just let the sound completely engulf me. I love it.

You can just ask me what my Instagram handle is ya know
nice one

but I'm just looking for a horror artist I found once and when I try to search for anything that could lead me to them.half the shit instagram comes up with is sexual what the hell man this is like what slash posts

If we're talking wall of sound, look up a performance of "Can't Stop Rockin'" performed live by STYX, REO Speedwagon & Night Ranger at the same time. At least 9 guitars going at once at the end is a true experience.

I'm so damaged by owning a PS5 that I went to download the Princess Peach demo and thought "$60?! What a deal!"

I was aware of Roblox when I was a kid, that it apparently is still kicking over a decade later and has become an immensely popular child labor sweatshop for the next generation was weird to wrap my head around.

Funny enough, music is a huge part of my life now. To the extent where I'd like to say I "write" music, although there are a lot of asterisks there. But I had very little interest in music growing up. You know what two songs I actively wanted to listen to as a kid? The Jurassic Park theme, and Reflections of Earth from Epcot. It's difficult to describe how well it captured my imagination. I sort of had names for different parts of it in my head based on what it sounded like to me. Like 3:15 was "desert", and I imagined things like skeletons rising out of the dirt under a red sky, and 8:35 was "festival", and I imagined fireworks and colorful kites flying through the air at night.

In my early teens, I started taking notice of video game music, and pretty much listened to nothing but, and that was when I first started to really notice the difference between it and popular music. The main thing I fixated on, which attracted me to video game music over other things, was that video game music has an aesthetic subject. I took a classical music class in college, and one of the concepts they talked about was program music vs absolute music. Program music is music that is about something. The Nutcracker Suite is program music. On the other hand, Beethoven's 5th Symphony is absolute music, music that exists purely for its own sake and has no hint of a subject matter. It doesn't even really have a set tone, flitting between ominous and cheerful at the drop of a hat.

I would argue that, on average, popular music leans much closer to absolute music in function despite almost never being absolute music in definition. It almost always expresses some idea, but it's usually a very simple idea. Like, the first 50 or so songs The Beatles wrote are all about girls. They had a tone, whether it was sadness or elation, but that was about it. And the funny thing about lyrics is, "normal music" generally has pretty damn ignorable lyrics. Whether it's "oh girl, oh baby, oh darling" or "let's get turnt tonight", pop songs are not exactly known for conveying complex or original ideas. And even when something does have a lot going on lyrically, like Bob Dylan, that doesn't necessarily translate to aesthetic.

See, to briefly describe what I love about Donkey Kong Country's music, it's the way that say, Busted Bayou can paint more of a picture of the environment than the folder full of hundreds of different sound effects exclusively for that level, most of which you probably couldn't hear over the music at all. You could practically say that the music transports you to that place, or that the music in large part is the place. This just isn't typical of what you would hear on the radio, unless "the place" is a club with bisexual lighting where everyone is depressed and on drugs (I haven't heard what's on the radio in like a decade so this is circa like uh 2015 shhh). ...There was a major exception to this I was aware of, though.

My mom was one of those people who had like 2 CDs in the car at one time. I assume that's a type of person, but I haven't been in many cars with CD players in my lifetime. She was also a teenage girl in the early 1980's. So, a surprisingly large portion of my childhood was set to Duran Duran's 2007 album Red Carpet Massacre. Justin Timberlake was on it for some reason. It's not particularly well-liked, usually considered one of their worst records, although I think its image would be significantly improved if it got a new mix by someone who had any idea what they were doing, because a recording of a live performance off of someone's TV sounds clearer than the actual album. But I digress. See, Duran Duran are a very aesthetic band. That aesthetic has constantly shifted over time, but the image they are most associated with is a romanticist one of exotic jetsetting adventures and vaguely occult crypticism. Image was a huge deal for them, as one of the pioneers of music videos. Their two core members, singer Simon Le Bon and keyboardist Nick Rhodes, consistently contribute a certain central identity to the band. Simon's lyrics are generally cryptic nonsense, and Nick's contributions are defined by him not being particularly good at playing the keyboard but having a lot of interest in like, art galleries and shit.

The result is, well... The first song on Red Carpet Massacre is called The Valley. It's about walking, and then running, through The Valley, a place with tall grass and shadows. That's it. All of the instrumentation, all further detail in the lyrics, like "you think you're happy, think you're free, but maybe we're just comfortably dizzy", which doesn't mean anything... It's all in service of a mood. The song is an image. It's a place. This is not at all uncommon, to a greater or lesser degree, in Duran Duran's discography. And I picked up on this strong, what I called color, when other music so frequently lacked much of it. It's not a hard rule, but music with a lot of synthesizer tends to way more easily end up with an atmosphere for whatever reason, and I also picked up on that. I had a whole phase where I set up a Pandora radio station and got way into 80's pop music.

To keep a long story from going even longer, the gist of it is that I came into music from video game music. And even as I developed tastes that went beyond just "atmosphere", it was a recurring theme that I could not get away from. I fell in love with The Beach Boys because of songs like Cool, Cool Water and Wind Chimes which were all about expressing a Thing through music and often used stuff like chewing celery as instruments to enhance that objective. Tonally, it reminds me a lot of Banjo-Kazooie, where the music is accompanied by chirping birds or steam whistles, and everything is in the same style yet also totally evocative of its environment in the most joyfully silly and unrestrained way. My favorite Led Zeppelin song became Kashmir, which depicts a Tolkien-ified version of the imagery of the Sahara desert. I adore the vast yet intimate wintry landscapes of both Radiohead's Kid A and Björk's Vespertine, and I often use the former as a sleep aid because it's relaxing enough to sleep to but chaotic enough to occupy my brain.

Really active music is another thing. One of my favorite songs of all time is The Great Curve by Talking Heads, if that gives an idea. I am not maximalist in most things, but with music, I crave complexity. The main reason I don't often get on with lyrics-heavy music is because the music part is frequently just there to accompany the lyrics. It's not that I don't like interesting lyrics. There are plenty of songs where I still like the lyrics. It's just that lyrics don't need to be there at all for me like for other people, they're never going to carry a song.

...And hey, guess what frequently has very colorful high intensity music that isn't afraid to get weird and abrasive? I listen to a lot of other things now, but I still have the absolutely scorching take that your average successful game composer (just anyone whose music actually gets noticed in a positive fashion) is far more talented than your average successful popular music composer. How many bands will ever explore the breadth of genres across their entire careers that Koji Kondo does in Mario 64 alone? Even if most of the absolute best music ever made isn't from video games due to the frequent limitations afflicting them with things like sound quality and song length and looping and whatnot, I think it's way easier to find interesting game music than it is popular music, which is so frequently just boring in comparison. And I don't just mean chart stuff. I listened to over 1000 songs released in 2020, most of them singles that were highly rated on Rate Your Music, so it was mostly more hipster-ish material and was already pre-curated by hundreds of people. And probably less than 40 of those songs were interesting enough to even give a second glance.

You know what, the Wall of Sound might actually be what has always put me off! I've got a volatile relationship with the concept. I like music that sounds enormous, love The Beach Boys, I love the fuzzy warm SNES sound that most people seem to hate even, but it can just as easily put me off as draw me in. On the title track of Born to Run or that performance of Dancing in the Dark, it's definitely putting me off, in a similar way to Phil Spector's production on Beatles stuff. Great songs, but I kind of hate the way they sound.

My favorites off of Born to Run though were Backstreets and especially Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, although I feel like that one doesn't really "count" because I liked it the most due to it just sounding like a Rolling Stones song. He even sings it like Jagger!
I wanna Yeah! so many different individual things here but to break them out and speak on each of them would be a lot so like.. Yeah!

would love to see the sales #s for Rebirth so far. I'm noticing less enthusiasm for it than Remake in my circles which seems weird considering the much better critical reception this one had. Also noticing a lot of "I want to get Rebirth but need to beat Remake first" Edit: also lots of "what's Integrade?"
It's the opposite for me. Everyone I've seen thinks this game is much better than Remake and is a "true" translation of classic Final Fantasy to HD.

The fact that we didn't get a new one announced on Pokemon Day is a travesty.
I don’t know all the development capabilities of spike chunsoft but wonder if the new Shiren took more development resources? Does seem like we are due for a new switch specific PMD though.

You know what two songs I actively wanted to listen to as a kid? The Jurassic Park theme, and Reflections of Earth from Epcot.
I thought I was alone in this 🥹 Long before I ever saw a single Jurassic Park movie, I just had an obsession with the music soundtrack that my parents actually found it for me on CD haha. The emotions it could elicit, even without knowing the actual story beats, it made me romanticize the idea of a dinosaur theme park that doesn't immediately go to shit because of capitalistic greed lmfao

Being put off the wall of sound, I get that it can feel overstimulating, for lack of a better word, but that's fair if it's not to your tastes.

That being said though, Backstreets and Tenth Avenue Freeze Out are some mighty fine selections! Backstreets I appreciate because it is so distinctly gender neutral referring to Terry, and there's a funny as hell reaction when you explain to mildly homophobic Boomers that their red-blooded, All-American, pro-USA hero Springsteen has been queer throughout his lyrics haha (but also, setting a backdrop of watching "Valentino Drag" during the bridge; gut instinct may suggest drag racing with hot rods, but the immediate following line of "Where dancers scraped the tears up off the streets dressed down in rags" makes me think there may have been an underground drag queen scene for all the outcasts in the 70s who felt a little different haha). There was this one particular live performance, either 1977 or 1978, but supposedly the story goes from people who saw it was that it was just Bruce on the piano and his voice for the entire song, and by the end even Bruce sounded a little stunned that it sounded as amazing as it did in this one particular performance. Every time, it's always a different interlude, one of bittersweet yearning, or if the love was ever really there. Just haunting enough to make you weep, and then brings it back for the final outro.

Tenth Avenue Freeze Out just happens to be a song of wholesome masculinity outlining how Bruce and Clarence first met on a fateful night and how their trajectories were forever altered. Bruce said it best how his vision of Born To Run was of a world where people wouldn't make a big deal if two men were physically affectionate of one another, or it wouldn't be so surprising to see two men of different races as close friends.

That said, I've always been a bigger fan of the live versions of Tenth Avenue Freeze Out where there are at least 12 more horns involved 😋 The Live 1975/85 album compilation has my favourite rendition of the song.

You're not wrong though about the Jagger influence; skinny 25 year old bopping along the New York scene wanted to be cool as cool could be. Apparently growing up he had fantasies of Rolling Stones playing a show in Freehold, NJ, where Keith suddenly was too sick to play, and they needed a shining new star to join them all on stage haha

I never would have pictured Bruce Springsteen when I think of “wall of sound” music but that live performance is kind of there! I love music like that. More layers, more synth, more guitar, just let the sound completely engulf me. I love it.
Truthfully I may also be referring to wall of sound in the wrong way 😅 But admittedly when there are anywhere from a dozen or so people at minimum in the liner notes of personnel, each playing two or three instruments, all I can think is how he would layer every thing in his music so intricately, finding the gaps where it all fits, and leaving certain elements of silence to punctuate how loud it really is

I'm kind of over the adaptive triggers on the PS5. Once you get past the initial novelty of them, you realize that making it more difficult to pull down a trigger is nothing something enjoyable in the long run.

Truthfully I may also be referring to wall of sound in the wrong way 😅 But admittedly when there are anywhere from a dozen or so people at minimum in the liner notes of personnel, each playing two or three instruments, all I can think is how he would layer every thing in his music so intricately, finding the gaps where it all fits, and leaving certain elements of silence to punctuate how loud it really is
I think it can still apply! Usually when I think of 'wall of sound' I think of layers of loud, enveloping music like heavy synth mixed with guitar and drums. But layers upon layers of instrumentation like saxes and everything is close.

I'd usually think of something like this for heavy synth (most Birthday Massacre has a real 'blanket of sound' feel to it):

For something heavier with still a lot of synth, Within Temptation fits:

Or if you want something REALLY heavy with tons of synth, guitar, vocals (multiple types!) and just walls upon walls of sound, then Wintersun:

Oh, I forgot Blind Guardian! They're a classic wall of sound band that really layers vocals and guitars, like in Mirror Mirror:

It's the opposite for me. Everyone I've seen thinks this game is much better than Remake and is a "true" translation of classic Final Fantasy to HD.
Yeah this is what I've been hearing too, and it's what's got me really jazzed for this game.

Normally when we talk about a future 2D Zelda game we say that it will be a remake of Oracles. Why doesn't anyone say A Link To The Past?
Because Gameboy games could stand a few more pixels and a bit more color depth, but ALTTP is already perfect ❤️

Normally when we talk about a future 2D Zelda game we say that it will be a remake of Oracles. Why doesn't anyone say A Link To The Past?
Because you could easily reuse the same engine as the Link's Awakening remake in the same way MM3D reused OOT3D's engine. But I think at this point it's clear Nintendo has other plans for 2D Zelda.

Why doesn't anyone say A Link To The Past?
I'm personally just more interested in remakes/revamps of the Oracle games, especially if they add the stuff that was supposedly scrapped. Plus, I think LttP getting a remake is a matter of when, not if, so it's less exciting to speculate about.

Made myself a nice hot cup of tea

Got pulled away by a work concern, that snowballed into several work concerns

Returned to my cup, now cold and icky

And the microwave was busted

Sadness

Personally, when Nintendo decided to merge console and handheld development divisions, I assumed we'd see original top down Zelda games in between their tent-pole 3D releases. Grezzo in particular seemed poised to be working on something along those lines after they'd finished the Link's Awakening remake, but after working on a Miitopia port, they've developed an Apple Arcade exclusive Dragon Racing Team Management game called Jet Dragon. And it was recently announced that Koichi Ishii, Grezzo's CEO, is at least involved with the newly announced Visions of Mana, so who knows what's happening there?

Made myself a nice hot cup of tea

Got pulled away by a work concern, that snowballed into several work concerns

Returned to my cup, now cold and icky

And the microwave was busted

Sadness

A normal day in Silent Hill.

Wait, hold ... no the tea wouldn't get cold in Silent Hill 'cause it's heated up by hell itself. Sorry.

My week off has been productive in terms of house work

Happy camper!

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom