• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for bombarding this thread with Star Wars, but that ad might just be the best one yet with how fucking morbid it is!

I've probably asked this a thread or two ago, but is it weird that I sometimes listen to anime openings while I workout and I get more pumped up listening to that over other types of music?
it-is-not-weird-shaking-my-head.gif

Dude I've been doing that since the 90s

Damn that slaps. With that intro I would easily mistake this for a groovy boss theme or maybe a beat em up level.
that opening bass synth arp is 100% in the DKC soundtrack damn near note for note

edit: yep, Fear Factory

so basically I'm pretty sure it's all fucking fire
yeah, finally getting into more of it is really proving the point

they’re a gold standard

I’m personally less fond of the slower stuff but it’s still pinnacle shit, I’m only more impressed by the minute

plus like. fifty mainline albums? the constant devotion to making music? thrilling. reminds me of good in the world. killer thread.

You folks are doing a good job of reminding me that one of my "resolutions" for this year was to get into T-SQUARE (and jazz fusion in general). I wanted to try and listen to one album every few weeks, see their discography over time.

Unfortunately, you are also reminding me that I, uh. Kinda got caught up in other things and forgot to listen to all but a few tracks? Oops? Gotta do that ADHD thing and force myself to remember to listen to their albums.

You folks are doing a good job of reminding me that one of my "resolutions" for this year was to get into T-SQUARE (and jazz fusion in general). I wanted to try and listen to one album every few weeks, see their discography over time.

Unfortunately, you are also reminding me that I, uh. Kinda got caught up in other things and forgot to listen to all but a few tracks? Oops? Gotta do that ADHD thing and force myself to remember to listen to their albums.
uTwuZXS.gif

I've probably asked this a thread or two ago, but is it weird that I sometimes listen to anime openings while I workout and I get more pumped up listening to that over other types of music?
Not really, I've done the same. A lot of those songs are designed to pump you up and get you excited for what you're about to watch.

last one for now

here's some t-square with an intro so contemporary sounding that when I first heard it I thought spotify had switched to recommendations. the whole track could be mistaken for some spotify ass indie fusion like louis cole or jacob mann or something idk. snarky puppy? idek but the track is fire

this was 1992 by the way

this thread honestly could have just as easily been vulf themed
They've always been a great time. I've seen them 3 or 4 times, most recently last year at Bonnaroo, they all played the show in white bathrobes and red hats. Even had a wedding performed on stage. It was a highlight of the weekend.

this one's a bit of a stretch but here's wii fit

see if you can find the bit I'm talking about

I uh love that their entire first wave of album covers is just like “hey. it’s the cusp of the eighties. have you heard of woman leg?”

it would piss me off from anyone else but like. eh. t-square flung right out the decade can have it, whatever, it seems in keeping with the gore of the zeitgeist.

this thread honestly could have just as easily been vulf themed
I can’t tell y’all how funny it is that Vulfpeck is famous

immensely talented weird dudes! not always my thing! but uh really truly classmates gone rogue so I chuckle instinctively every time

don’t ask me what exactly it is because I haven’t taken the time to find out

but the sounds of springsteen and ilk cause full-body revulsion in me
futurama-you-and-i-are-enemies-now.gif

/s

But I get it, like I'll never shut up about him but I know it's not gonna be for everyone. I once knew a guy who actively tried to make me feel bad for liking Springsteen because of his intense dislike of glockenspiel (this person is no longer in my life thankfully, but it was a bit that got old real fast)

probably less shocking but

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Last edited:
I uh love that their entire first wave of album covers is just like “hey. it’s the cusp of the eighties. have you heard of woman leg?”

it would piss me off from anyone else but like. eh. t-square flung right out the decade can have it, whatever, it seems in keeping with the gore of the zeitgeist.
I think it hits different because it intersects with the unabated obsession with summer prevalent in japanese music at the time

it's not just a pretty lady, it's a pretty lady who's at the beach because fuck yeah my fellow japanese soul brothers it's summer and the bubble era and that's fucking awesome for us

Wrapped up another session of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Nintendo Land Starring Cloud from the Super Smash Bros. series

I've seen Cory Wong play with the band Vulpeck before. Really great in concert.
Vulfpeck is lowkey a concert bucket list moment for me, but I have seen Cory Wong solo in Toronto. Couldn't find anyone to go with me to the show so I just went alone, but damn hearing Golden and Treehouse live were simply sublime

But I get it, like I'll never shut up about him but I know it's not gonna be for everyone. I once knew a guy who actively tried to make me feel bad for liking Springsteen because of his intense dislike of glockenspiel (this person is no longer in my life thankfully, but it was a bit that got old real fast)
My dad is a massive Springsteen fan, like shelves of records and CDs, posters on the wall. I've never really gotten into him myself, but I kind of wish he played it more often because nowadays it's usually my mom playing music, and her music taste has catastrophically declined with age. We went from Duran Duran to Josh Groban.

My dad is a massive Springsteen fan, like shelves of records and CDs, posters on the wall. I've never really gotten into him myself, but I kind of wish he played it more often because nowadays it's usually my mom playing music, and her music taste has catastrophically declined with age. We went from Duran Duran to Josh Groban.
Honestly I don't even know how I became the forefront of dad rock sensibilities myself, but I think there's something timeless in the lyrics of not just feeling heard for the first time, but also that certain feelings of yearning have been known for eons before my own birth.

I earnestly cannot recommend Born To Run enough as an album that if you do have a passing interest of knowing where to start, it's the best place to be. Sides A and B on vinyl both start optimistic and progressively get sadder until you flip the disc. From there you can explore any direction based on which songs you appreciated most from BTR, whether the more cinematic like Darkness, or the power anthems of BitUSA, or thematic exploration in The River, or the folksy like Nebraska/Pete Seeger Sessions, or political in Magic and The Rising, or strange genre shifts into orchestral country (Western Stars) or Soul covers (Only The Strong Survive, Vol. 1), or just the overly verbose in 'Greetings from Asbury Park' or 'Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle'

This thread is already like one step of organization away from turning into a T-Square book club (album club?). I'm thinking of trying to go through their discography myself now after basically only being familiar with Travelers before this thread.

Honestly I don't even know how I became the forefront of dad rock sensibilities myself, but I think there's something timeless in the lyrics of not just feeling heard for the first time, but also that certain feelings of yearning have been known for eons before my own birth.

I earnestly cannot recommend Born To Run enough as an album that if you do have a passing interest of knowing where to start, it's the best place to be. Sides A and B on vinyl both start optimistic and progressively get sadder until you flip the disc. From there you can explore any direction based on which songs you appreciated most from BTR, whether the more cinematic like Darkness, or the power anthems of BitUSA, or thematic exploration in The River, or the folksy like Nebraska/Pete Seeger Sessions, or political in Magic and The Rising, or strange genre shifts into orchestral country (Western Stars) or Soul covers (Only The Strong Survive, Vol. 1), or just the overly verbose in 'Greetings from Asbury Park' or 'Wild, Innocent and E Street Shuffle'
I've long suspected the main reason I've never been grabbed by any of the Springsteen songs I know is that I don't really listen to music that's "about the lyrics." Not as a rule, I like uh, fuckin' Ode to Billie Joe? But a lot of singer songwriters, a lot of rap, and a lot of folk seem to fall into this category where there's not enough musically to hold my interest most of the time because the focus is more on the words. Or to put it another way, I like The Doors, but if I ranked their entire discography Light My Fire and The End would probably be at opposite ends of the list, and that is mostly down to the relative importance placed upon the verbosity of one Jim Morrison in those two respective musical numbers.

I like the lyrics to The River and still remember its narrative even though I've only heard it a few times years ago, but it fell into the category of songs where I like the lyrics more than the song itself. I'll give Born to Run a go though. I'm of course at least somewhat familiar with the title track, but I don't think I know any of the others beyond some titles.

Snufkin has some great reviews!

should've picked it up for my fantasy fritic league after all.......

it's their song! @frog was singing their song!

c4a97c611aca5ab2c75dd4ce25c6137e63bcc13c.gif
(I'm not kidding, those were literally lyrics from Big The Cat and Froggy's theme from Sonic Adventure)
Ok this would be like finding the cat next door was Doraemon, I understand the excitement now

So remember when I mentioned my weaknesses?

Waving my Special Interest™️ in front of my face is a pretty good one. Still have to motivate myself...and remember to do it...but it's still a weakness!
Well hey as long as you can exploit your weakness to make yourself stronger

I don't really listen to music that's "about the lyrics." Not as a rule, I like uh, fuckin' Ode to Billie Joe? But a lot of singer songwriters, a lot of rap, and a lot of folk seem to fall into this category where there's not enough musically to hold my interest most of the time because the focus is more on the words.
o
m
g

I've never really known how to describe it, but same. I grew up loving game music and movie soundtracks, and eventually started getting big into jpop once I discovered anime, and reactions from other people throughout my life have been, like, not great. 😅 Ranging from bafflement to bullying, because I didn't listen to "normal" music with "lyrics in English" that "you can actually understand."

And I'd try to explain how much more the music part hooked me than the lyrics, and that most of what uhh.. dunno if this is fair or accurate but the way I always said it was "what was on the radio" just never really interested me because it seemed to be more about flat melodies that you could sing lyrics over, and the lyrics never meant much to me. And it eventually became obvious to me that I can barely even understand the lyrics that are in English. So to my ears, Japanese and English lyrics were mostly the same because my ears mostly just caught melody and sound without crisply hearing/understanding what the words were saying or meaning.

So people kept telling me I was supposed to pay attention to lyrics, that omitting lyrics (or listening to lyrics in other languages) was weird, and that I must've been trying to be weird or weeby or whatever. But my mind always focused on the musical part instead, and to my tastes jpop just kicked American pop's ass in that regard. 😅

Eventually (as in just a couple years ago) I'd start finding music theory channels on YouTube that delve into the differences in melodic trends between Japan and America and that helped me understand what was so different that I liked (also explained my love of Rick Astley, IYKYK) and then of course there's my absolute adoration for video game and film OSTs. Because no lyrics to worry about there, just pure instrumentals, which clicked perfectly with what my ears wanted. Mitsuda, Kondo, Uematsu, Wise, everyone here is familiar with them, but then I've also had John Williams, Howard Shore, and Alan Silvestri in my rotation since I was a kid.

Hell, as I type this I'm listening to Daft Punk's Infinity Repeating, which does have lyrics but they use them more like a musical instrument that accentuates the overall music, which I love about Daft Punk. But the stuff that's lyric-focused, which as you point out is what a lot of popular genres tend to do, just kinda bounces off me. Only really lyricy western band that I ever became obsessed with was Queen, because Brian May's riffs are otherworldly and as far as the lyrics go Freddie himself is a musical instrument.

God this got bigger and more meandering than I meant for it to

uh

music's good yall, I'm not very knowledgeable about it but I sure fuckin love it 🤘

Sus asked earlier if we aren't constantly thinking about music and whew lemme tell ya 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom