• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
AlttP was already topped by its direct sequel, easily
ALBW was pretty good, but I don’t agree. LTTP is a much better game. Much better sense of progression and challenge (I don’t like the item rental system and the flat difficulty curve in ALBW), and the world map is done better in LTTP.

I'm not terribly religious but Mr Peanutbutter is at least a bishop or something in my belief system
He is his own higher power, capable of summoning great treats that spoil him along with disciplinary hugs he is not allowed to derive joy from when I catch his ass tunneling underneath my couch

(At this point I'm giving up and just getting like three crinkle tunnels to thread behind the couch, at least that way he can't get underneath it 🙃)

@Brofield is this how it works?

6mo02qF.jpeg
Having never seen rabbits give birth, I have now accepted this headcanon for how we have colourful and furry stinky bastards 🤎

I am in a better state today than I was the last few days, I got some good sleep for the first time in a few nights.

I sat down and played some more rebirth and the game continues to be amazing.

I bought myself Star Wars dark forces and Mario vs donkey Kong and I downloaded the peach demo.

My uncle gave me an idea to play my handheld systems outside on our deck or porch a bit when it’s nice out so I may try that for a change.

I am feeling better today.

So I just finished the main game of Super Mario RPG as a palette cleanser after the nightmarish hell that was Octopath Traveler’s final dungeon. Is the postgame worth doing or is it really just more boss fights? Next on the palette cleanser is Another Code and then Live A Live (with Unicorn Overlord on in the background)

I am in a better state today than I was the last few days, I got some good sleep for the first time in a few nights.

I sat down and played some more rebirth and the game continues to be amazing.

I bought myself Star Wars dark forces and Mario vs donkey Kong and I downloaded the peach demo.

My uncle gave me an idea to play my handheld systems outside on our deck or porch a bit when it’s nice out so I may try that for a change.

I am feeling better today.
🙌 Excellent 🙌

O2mDLoN.png

also did the theme just get really weird for anyone else?

edit: wow no I think my brain just fucked up bad. carry on

Last edited:
"wtf" is an appropriate reaction to what some of these kids say nowadays

now I am become boomer, destroyer of youth
the kids make more fuckin’ sense than we do

do kids today even know who sephiroth is
I don't think most kids ever knew who he is but he is the only strong character that I know drew likes (or at least the game he appears in)

I cant form a normal sentence because I was awake until 3:30am looking for an artist I will never find

if a kid acts up tell them that sephiroth solos their favourite verse @ngpdrew
nothing is funnier to me than millennial obstinance

“no, I hit thirty, time to assume the youth are dipshits and never once try context clues for slang”

like “boo hoo, it’s our turn to be boomers, how dare you touch my emotional support wizard franchise or billion-repeat mediocre catchphrase”

look, I’m a fucking millennial, I know I’m fated to cringe, but christ. we fucking suck. I hate us.

sephiroth is just short for sephora goth

also damn are you trying to be old or
Well, since today we learned that FF7 Rebirth debuted to record low sales in Japan, it does make me wonder

There's a whole meme with Japanese gamers about FF being for old people... I guess that's why they call it Final Fantasy amirite?

Well, since today we learned that FF7 Rebirth debuted to record low sales in Japan, it does make me wonder

There's a whole meme with Japanese gamers about FF being for old people... I guess that's why they call it Final Fantasy amirite?
final final FINAL fantasy LAST REVISION for REAL this time FINAL edit 56 v 8 USE REAL dot psd

“no, I hit thirty, time to assume the youth are dipshits and never once try context clues for slang”

like “boo hoo, it’s our turn to be boomers, how dare you touch my emotional support wizard franchise or billion-repeat mediocre catchphrase”

look, I’m a fucking millennial, I know I’m fated to cringe, but christ. we fucking suck. I hate us.
Being serious for a moment, it's actually pretty easy to relate to kids at my job. They all love Nintendo and anime and stuff like that. Often during freetime I see then emulating games like Mario 64, and there is a pretty strong overlap nowadays with internet lingo and what kids are saying (stronger than it was when I was a kid, at any rate) so it's easy to stay in the loop.

Once in a while they reference some streamer or internet celebrity that I know nothing about, but I think in that case I'm happy to stay ignorant lol

I tease my eldest nephew by intentionally using Gen Z slang in the cringiest way possible.

... he's a good kid. 21 is still a kid, right?

do kids today even know who sephiroth is
I don't know if I've heard a student talk about a traditional AAA game of any kind in awhile. It's still mostly Fortnite, with smatterings of other games that mostly run on mobile hardware.

So, I think Sephiroth is a stretch!

I don't know if I've heard a student talk about a traditional AAA game of any kind in awhile. It's still mostly Fortnite, with smatterings of other games that mostly run on mobile hardware.

Fortnite, Roblox, Minecraft are the holy trinity where I'm at (partly depending on age of the kids) + sometimes stuff like Brawlstars and Pokémon

I've seen more kids talk about Persona than Final Fantasy (which is to say I've seen 0 kids talk about Final Fantasy)

Fortnite is still huge though, a legitimate phenomenon. I see kids still doing Fortnite dances lol

Being serious for a moment, it's actually pretty easy to relate to kids at my job. They all love Nintendo and anime and stuff like that. Often during freetime I see then emulating games like Mario 64, and there is a pretty strong overlap nowadays with internet lingo and what kids are saying (stronger than it was when I was a kid, at any rate) so it's easy to stay in the loop.
that’s good to hear. you might be an outlier.

I’d just say that doing a bit about it on the internet reads less like dunking on boomers and more like you’re just doing the frustrating thing that so many millennials do uncritically, given our wider audience

lmao

neither here nor there, blame whatever fucking miserable show i’m watching that I can’t remember the name of where the lead is supposed to be a gen z 24-year-old in 2022 but is written like the most boring millennial stereotype by fuckin’ forty-year-olds for my immediate and undue disgust

I'm not denying these people exist, but most millenial-as-boomer discourse I've seen (such as above) is self-deprecating shtick

Like, coming of age it became apparent that our future had been well-and-truly fucked by those who came before us. So what did we have left? Pithy comments, making fun of our elders for not understanding our lingo

But then we became the elders, and now we are the ones who are not quite in step with the younger generations' lingo

And we find it hilarious!

I think most of the time, we (a) can figure out what the slang means easily enough, and (b) don't actually find it any more ridiculous than the slang we would use several years ago. It's more like it's an exaggerated way of acknowledging that we are no longer the young and cool ones. Almost like a parody of what boomers would say to us when we younger (in those cases, I feel, without any sense of irony)

I assure you I'm just funning around with @jirou. I do work with children and make attempts to understand them. At the same time, I'm human and am constantly surprised by the new phrases they come up with. Never annoyed, but definitely caught flat footed here and there.

Sorry to dredge up less pleasant interactions with our demographic!

One of my favorite things at work is kids love covering their laptops with wanted posters of One Piece characters and I always ask them “is that character your favorite?” and half the time they seem surprised that me, an Old Person, is a One Piece fan

I'm not denying these people exist, but most millenial-as-boomer discourse I've seen (such as above) is self-deprecating shtick

Like, coming of age it became apparent that our future had been well-and-truly fucked by those who came before us. So what did we have left? Pithy comments, making fun of our elders for not understanding our lingo

But then we became the elders, and now we are the ones who are not quite in step with the younger generations' lingo

And we find it hilarious!

I think most of the time, we (a) can figure out what the slang means easily enough, and (b) don't actually find it any more ridiculous than the slang we would use several years ago. It's more like it's an exaggerated way of acknowledging that we are no longer the young and cool ones. Almost like a parody of what boomers would say to us when we younger (in those cases, I feel, without any sense of irony)
satire is ineffective when you entertain the notion that those younger than us are people

like to us maybe it’s “oh, haha! we’re the boomers now! hahaha!”

but I think ask anyone here nearer twenty than the grave and they’ll say it just sounds like us doing the same thing, forwarding the shittiness bestowed on us, and doing faux-ironic “haha! look!” millennial shit that reads bleak or worse

and like I have a lot else I have direct problems with, dunking on millennials is just a bonus in my world because I have way too many “peers” who absolutely infuriate me

I just think we’re dodging the grace of acceptance in a way that often keens insufferable amongst ourselves and our betters

like if we keep being like “haha well I don’t understand the dang kids these days” even as a joke we’re just kinda telling the zoomers et al that we’re assholes

which only snowballs when so much “millennial humor” is based in the whitest dweebs available appropriating black slang and pretending it’s ironic and not just shitty

idk there are plenty of layers and it’s always complicated. I just think on the whole we’re doing a bad fucking job when we had a chance to be better than that.

but what do I care — I’m fuckin’ excommunicated from most “favorable” societal taxonomies anyhow. clearly thinking about it all too much for the good of just about no one.

So I just finished the main game of Super Mario RPG as a palette cleanser after the nightmarish hell that was Octopath Traveler’s final dungeon. Is the postgame worth doing or is it really just more boss fights? Next on the palette cleanser is Another Code and then Live A Live (with Unicorn Overlord on in the background)
It’s a small group of demanding super bosses many with fun unique mechanics. You also get more dialog. I wish it was more, but it was surreal and super cool to get more of one of my favorite games of all time decades later.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
yeah see maybe this is aligned with my thoughts. I have in a thousand different ways never been the type to fit into a group, so a lot of the weird group jokes — even in irony — feed back into the same alienation

which aligns pretty well with the reasons we’re often bestowed the cringe crown

sorry for uh being unnecessarily harsh with anyone

there’s just a lot that infuriates me with the world and my “peers” that boils down to a complete abdication of self-awareness

everyone damaged my capacity for grace with COVID responses. I mean it’s been a long line of horrors but I didn’t want to be so easy to throw under so many busses.

plus so many of the friends I thought better of — deigned believers in a better world — married landlords and cops who say theater kid shit about “daddy Biden” even with blood across the board

knowing my own betrayal, I guess I feel very much like I don’t want those who came after us to feel betrayed by us too. I get the sense they already do. not that we had power, but we had power over ourselves and what we put out there.

too much waxing and waning, lmao, I need to log the fuck off and not write everything I think here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom