• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah see maybe this is aligned with my thoughts. I have in a thousand different ways never been the type to fit into a group, so a lot of the weird group jokes — even in irony — feed back into the same alienation

which aligns pretty well with the reasons we’re often bestowed the cringe crown

sorry for uh being unnecessarily harsh with anyone

there’s just a lot that infuriates me with the world and my “peers” that boils down to a complete abdication of self-awareness

everyone damaged my capacity for grace with COVID responses. I mean it’s been a long line of horrors but I didn’t want to be so easy to throw under so many busses.

plus so many of the friends I thought better of — deigned believers in a better world — married landlords and cops who say theater kid shit about “daddy Biden” even with blood across the board

knowing my own betrayal, I guess I feel very much like I don’t want those who came after us to feel betrayed by us too. I get the sense they already do. not that we had power, but we had power over ourselves and what we put out there.

too much waxing and waning, lmao, I need to log the fuck off and not write everything I think here
I think for a lot of us who work in education, our natural response to bond and form camaraderie is talking to each other about how students are silly or into thing we don’t understand or doing XYZ. But at least at my work, we make sure to never interface with students in a way that makes them feel like we’re boring old adults who don’t like them. I love talking to my students about shared interests or finding ways to relate the work to things they like. The fact that I get paid to talk to students about Dragon Ball and One Piece fucking rips, lmao

I also have lots of younger friends who call me boomer or vice versa but it’s always treated as gentle teasing. I do concede your point though that millennials have a lot of humor based in self deprecation, and that can be alienating in certain circumstances.

nothing is funnier to me than millennial obstinance

“no, I hit thirty, time to assume the youth are dipshits and never once try context clues for slang”

like “boo hoo, it’s our turn to be boomers, how dare you touch my emotional support wizard franchise or billion-repeat mediocre catchphrase”

look, I’m a fucking millennial, I know I’m fated to cringe, but christ. we fucking suck. I hate us.
I probably do more of this than I aughta, but 100% meant as a joke against myself for how old and out of touch I am. A lot of "haha, I'm old!" jokes are me coping with the fact that I'm about to have a 4 at the front of my age and it has felt for a decade like my whole life is behind me. I probably should practice more reframing than leaning into my own fears and dissatisfaction for humor, but I'm a stubborn ass. 😅

And as far as the millennial thing, most of the people I know in my age group both just socially here and also my cousins back in Texas, are actively trying to be boomers but not in the "haha, I'm old!" way and instead in the "LOOK HOW BIGOTED AND CONSERVATIVE I AM!!!" way, to the point where literally my dad (78 years old and from Texas mind you) at one point said to me "I thought your generation was supposed to be smarter or something." 😅

So I still kinda hang onto the millennial thing but more out of recognition of how thoroughly fucked our generation has been by those who came before, while we were actively being ridiculed and scolded for expecting better. It's fuckin wild to have the generations who came before shit all over us, only to then watch a significant portion of us respond by trying to turn themselves into that so they can shit on those of us who remain. It's goddamn scary, alienating, disheartening, and I seriously hope the generations younger than us can fuckin help this world because.. damn.

tl;dr: I joke about how old I am but I'd seriously rather live in a world Gen Z would build than the one we're in right now

literally doomed
ezgif-7-00e12a6803.gif

excellent gif courtesy of @chocolate_supra

in all of my ambient crankiness, I forgot — wish me luck tomorrow

I’ve been called in to go over my bloodwork results so who knows what the fuck that means. could be exceedingly chill or exceedingly not. maybe they’ll tell me I’ve got some even clearer indicator of a condition and I’ll say “yeah no shit, we all knew that.” or maybe I have gigacancer!

probably fine

just interesting since with my scans they just texted me. probably reading too much into it

First Kentaro Miura (Berserk author), then Kazuki Takahashi (Yu-Gi-Oh author), now Toriyama. Many of my favorite creators passing away is just..... surreal. Makes me worried for Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter) and Eiichiro Oda (One Piece) even more than I already have.

He wasn’t one of the best to ever do it.

He was the best to ever do it.

Rest in peace, Toriyama.

Been trying to fight back the tears for almost a half hour.....
Same. Had to hide in the bathroom to compose myself. I'm just gonna try and finish work quick and head home early, while my brain is still trying to process things.

I literally bought a DBZ-themed box of Reeses cereal while grocery shopping today just for the novelty. Had Goku on the front and Vegeta on the back, and I said to my dad "when I was a kid I never thought I'd see the day."

I used to be bullied for liking anime. I used to draw DBZ fanart (and yes, my own OCs in Toriyama's style) throughout high school. It felt like this little thing of mine that I loved despite it being "weird" to others, and to see it eventually explode into one of the most famous stories in the world was incredible.

He was able to reach around the world by drawing. That's just amazing to me.

RIP king. He wasn't the first person to create manga or anime but he was certainly one of the most influential. Even after all of these years, no moment in any anime was has been more impactful

iOrVUX.gif

Not sure if it's true but I heard a long time ago that either the last frame of that gif or the fullbody shot from the front that follows it in the show was actually drawn by Toriyama himself. Story was that the production wanted the first look at SSJ Goku to be perfect, so they just asked him to do it for them.

I can't find anything confirming it but I like to think it's possible 😅

gaaaah fuck *wipes away tears*
THIS IS A MUSIC THEMED THREAD, RIGHT???

燃えろヒーロー時を超え!!

Last edited:
Toriyama died on March 1 and we're just hearing about it now. It's amazing how people in Japan can keep something like this a secret for days. No one in his family or his friends leaked it out. If he was American, TMZ would have had an article about his death several minutes before he even died.

I just bought Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot and Dragon Quest Monster. I’m probably gonna get Sand Land now. It’s gonna be sad when we get the last project he was involved in

Man, Dragon Ball was the gateway to manga/anime. What terrible news.

Me and others discussed Dragon Ball without end in secondary school.

What terrible news to wake up to. RIP legend, your impact will be felt for decades to come.

Just rewatched a couple episodes of the og Dragon Ball. And it reminded me about what a weird little world Goku and Co used to live in. Don't get me wrong, I still have huge amounts of nostalgia for Z and love Super but the older I get, the more I appreciate the sense of adventure and chaotic energy that exudes from the original show. It's kinda like comparing original Pokemon to modern iterations.

Just rewatched a couple episodes of the og Dragon Ball. And it reminded me about what a weird little world Goku and Co used to live in. Don't get me wrong, I still have huge amounts of nostalgia for Z and love Super but the older I get, the more I appreciate the sense of adventure and chaotic energy that exudes from the original show. It's kinda like comparing original Pokemon to modern iterations.

Well, you can clearly see that Dragon Ball was heavily influence by "The Journey to the West", whereas (i'd say) starting with the last season of DB it shifted to it's own thing and universe.

Well, you can clearly see that Dragon Ball was heavily influence by "The Journey to the West", whereas (i'd say) starting with the last season of DB it shifted to it's own thing and universe.
Sure, the "Journey to the West"-stuff is very obvious, like Goku literally is basically a monkey god and has a magic stick and fights demons (also Son Goku is basically the japanese "translation" of Sun Wukong) and his first journey is to the Western Capital. But I'm more talking about dragons and dinosaurs, sometimes even sentient, running around and the talking animal people. All are elements that are still kinda there but much more subdued 😅

Admittedly, talking dinosaurs that kidnap random people gets less shocking once you're regularly talking with anthropomorphic cats wielding godlike powers.

My Fami activity has really gone up since work entered low season and since my work started to become such a mental toll that my work morale sank enough for me to allow myself to browse internet forums without bad conscience.

I've given myself a deadline, if i don't get a shipping notification for my UO CE until 3 p.m., i'm going to "double dip" and get it digitally ...

It's dumb, i know, but i need something to play for the weekend. Ignore the ceiling-high backlog behind me.

Sure, the "Journey to the West"-stuff is very obvious, like Goku literally is basically a monkey god and has a magic stick and fights demons (also Son Goku is basically the japanese "translation" of Sun Wukong) and his first journey is to the Western Capital. But I'm more talking about dragons and dinosaurs, sometimes even sentient, running around and the talking animal people. All are elements that are still kinda there but much more subdued 😅

Admittedly, talking dinosaurs that kidnap random people gets less shocking once you're regularly talking with anthropomorphic cats wielding godlike powers.

Guess it became less "let me tell of you this world" when the power-level phase began.

My Fami activity has really gone up since work entered low season and since my work started to become such a mental toll that my work morale sank enough for me to allow myself to browse internet forums without bad conscience.
I'm sorry you're going through it. Hope the storm clouds clear up.

I thank you for the thoughtfulness! But I dunno about clearing up, I’m considering quitting
Well hey, if were to continue the metaphor, if the storm is bringing your mood down, no one can blame you for going to where the skies are clearer

As much as it may suck, but is right now really a good time to leave a job (under the condition it's a safe, not-timed one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom