• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried lowering the difficulty? I did that with Kiwami and was able to stick with the game a little further. I don't mind the combat but the amount of random street battles is what wore me down.

I did that around chapter 7 because I wanted to get it over with. It helped for a bit but I've now reached chapter 10 and I think... I'm good? Part of it is that I've already played most of the games in the series and also up to this exact point on the PS4 version of Kiwami before I lost the save. But I think I'm probably done for good with RGG's action games unless they change it up some more in future entries.

Here was me wondering if 12 Minutes hadn't come out as planned on December 7th but it turns out it has - on Switch and PS4 everywhere else, but only on PS4 here, with the Switch release to follow on the 21st. I'm so tired, Annapurna. I'm so tired!

I think I'm about to drop Yakuza Kiwami (in favour of LAD). It's not that the game is bad but I'm feeling quite burnt out by the series' combat. It's the main reason why I'm not that into Judgment.
Kiwami (1) definitely felt unpolished re:the combat. Zero’s combat was near perfect. Kiwami took a perfect combat engine and put it up against very imperfect boss fights. Totally get it.

That said, I loved Judgment’s combat so maybe it’s just that you’re burnt out on that style of combat. Which I get!!!

Football is worldwide the most beloved sport since the goals are scored based on luck. There’s no other sport where an underdog can beat a top team on a lucky day. This is part of the thrill watching a game. It’s never decided until the game’s over and often turned in the last minutes. I think for Americans it’s more engaging to see the stronger team win. I don’t have another explanation why football is so underrated in the US.

Football is worldwide the most beloved sport since the goals are scored based on luck. There’s no other sport where an underdog can beat a top team on a lucky day. This is part of the thrill watching a game. It’s never decided until the game’s over and often turned in the last minutes. I think for Americans it’s more engaging to see the stronger team win. I don’t have another explanation why football is so underrated in the US.
the scene is growing steadily

you know, the league... i forgot the name of the league.

Do you have other platforms to play on? It's on sale on PC for $28. I almost bit as well but I'm hoping it'll just come to gamepass
Nothing I can really have time to play it on.

I may wait, it'll probably be cheaper at some point next year.

So how's Monster Rancher 1 and 2? I never played those games back in the day on account of them looking like Pokemon knockoffs.

Playing Kid Icarus Uprising currently on the 3DS - Kinda enjoy it.. but man the controlls is ruining quite a bit of the fun.
This game would have been a lot times better on the Wii / Wii U :S

This is purely just my opinion of why I can't get into soccer, but there are more flops in a soccer game then Lebron James in the playoffs. I can't believe how often I see someone that is convinced they are on fire and they have to roll around on the ground to put it out. All for a free kick I think it's called. So to me, it looks like the best players aren't the most athletic or the hardest workers, it's the best actors. Some fouls that I see called just blow my mind and it takes me out of the game so fast. I do live in a state that has an MLS team, and a pretty good one at that (Real Salt Lake), but I just can't watch it. You're leg is still attached to your body and you are not burning to death. Here's your penalty kick Ronaldo, please just get off the grass now.

Mario Soccer on the other hand, now that I do like. I also liked the Sega Soccer game that played like Strikers but I can't remember what it was called.

Plot twist: she has been using bots to scoop up orders of PS5s and Xbox Series Xs, thousands of which she has stored in her basement to put on the resale market.
Second plot twist, she's really the one running EA behind the scenes, which is why she was dismissive of the Switch.

So how's Monster Rancher 1 and 2? I never played those games back in the day on account of them looking like Pokemon knockoffs.
I have an absolutely disgusting amount of nostalgia for these games, so it's difficult to be objective but here is a (hopefully} mini-explanation.

The gameplay is mostly done in menus, and there are not really any hints on what to do within the game. Be prepared to research even basic things like what stats do. You choose jobs to have your monster do each week which will increase their stats in one of 6 categories. They will do better at certain jobs based on things like monster type and age. There are monster fighting tournaments held regularly that you can enlist your monster in. These play out on a 2d plane where you have control of only what you tell your monster to do, not what it does. This is due to a stat called loyalty, where if you have less than 100 loyalty sometimes your monster will disobey. The fights involve positioning your monster at the right range to hit your attacks, and to avoid theirs. You can only attack if you have enough WIll, which auto refills at different rates per monster. Your raise your monster for a few years (typically 3-4 hours), and when you are told it is ready to retire, you can freeze it and later on breed it with another monster you have raised. This is really the only way to reach endgame. Build up some really strong monsters, breed them with each other, and raise the already stong children.

Of course, all of this ignores the most popular feature of these games. Creating monsters from your CDs. Although that is obviously missing, the database they allow you to search through is surprisingly robust, and includes PS1 and Switch games. There are also expeditions you can send your monster on to find artifacts that unlock more monster types, including some super rare 1 of a kind types. There is a lot of game here if the gameplay loop hits for you. Needless to say, I love them. :)

Alright so I wanna make ST4 kinda different. I'm thinking weekly themes/discussions/polls that help drive discussion (since direct speculation will be handled in another thread now). Anyone have any suggestions on those? I'm not as creative as Suswave so I need some help in coming up with ideas.

Anything is game, besides speculation about directs.

Alright so I wanna make ST4 kinda different. I'm thinking weekly themes/discussions/polls that help drive discussion (since direct speculation will be handled in another thread now). Anyone have any suggestions on those? I'm not as creative as Suswave so I need some help in coming up with ideas.

"Removing the obvious choice of Kirby from the conversation, if every Smash Ultimate character were to actually battle royale-style fight, who would win?"

I have 2 "loves", 2 "hahas", and 1 "wow".

Didn't realise Owen Wilson had joined us at some point. And he's been here since an early stage if he managed to find the "wow" reaction...

Would talking points from the news be a good one, where a headline fuels a binary question every week? For example, "Nintendo is rumoured to work on a new Mario-game. You want it 2D or 3D?"

Since there is no week without news you'll never run dry of content.

I do admit it's a bit easy and maybe a bit boring. But I fear doing something more complicated will have it bled dry in no time.

Would talking points from the news be a good one, where a headline fuels a binary question every week? For example, "Nintendo is rumoured to work on a new Mario-game. You want it 2D or 3D?"
News is almost certainly going to end up in the speculation thread

I'm member #24 and I only have yeahs
Well, by "fully" I mean spending like 18 hours a day here like we all do now.

Since there is no week without news you'll never run dry of content.

I do admit it's a bit easy and maybe a bit boring. But I fear doing something more complicated will have it bled dry in no time.
Maybe something like that, though I feel like that's better served by individual threads in the forum. I'll have to think about it.

Maybe I'll come up with some games or trivia or something of the like.
I'm user #35! but I did sign up like, during dinner so I wasn't posting right away.
Exactly what I mean, yeah.

News is almost certainly going to end up in the speculation thread
Sure, but if you want to have a changing poll every week, current events can serve as the basis for a (thought provoking) question with a poll :)

the thread started with foot talk and ended with footy talk
hey, it’s only the middle of the month!

who knows whatever thread-level catastrophes are yet to come

thread level orange juice amirite

This is purely just my opinion of why I can't get into soccer, but there are more flops in a soccer game then Lebron James in the playoffs. I can't believe how often I see someone that is convinced they are on fire and they have to roll around on the ground to put it out. All for a free kick I think it's called. So to me, it looks like the best players aren't the most athletic or the hardest workers, it's the best actors. Some fouls that I see called just blow my mind and it takes me out of the game so fast. I do live in a state that has an MLS team, and a pretty good one at that (Real Salt Lake), but I just can't watch it. You're leg is still attached to your body and you are not burning to death. Here's your penalty kick Ronaldo, please just get off the grass now.

Mario Soccer on the other hand, now that I do like. I also liked the Sega Soccer game that played like Strikers but I can't remember what it was called.
You're exagerating players do not flop that much

Oh FFS Deyverson....

Sorry I got late to the football Off-Topic, swear I'll not go on with it I just had to show Deyverson pretending to be hit by the referee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom