• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy should look at some more GameCube games if he thinks they looked anywhere close to this
pokemon-pokemon-colosseum.gif

I wonder, with regards to N64, if the plan was always one game a month, or if the very sudden announcement/release of fan-favourite Paper Mario and the announcement of next month's long-requested Banjo-Kazooie were an attempt at getting LITERALLY EVERY NSO related headline away from "Wow the emulation here is ROUGH"

Like obviously this is anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure everybody I've seen that even remotely knows what Nintendo Switch Online Plus Expansion Pack is knows that the emulation is rough. And almost every related headline since release has been about that. So maybe them releasing these games so quickly (let's be real, at this pace they'll be out of good N64 games in a year) is a way to maybe paper-over the negative headlines until they can get the emulation fixed up.
I did wonder if that was a change in plan and perhaps is the fastest rollout NERD can manage. I don't mind one per month for N64 so long as there's a consistent rollout for the other systems too, and so long as those patches for improved emulation keep coming. We've had very minor fixes in the first patch, so more should be in store.

The United States have won a football world cup. In fact, they've won 4 of 8 women's world cups.

This reminds of a fivethirtyeight article. These researchers had used broadcast tracking technology to recreate entire football matches where teams were anonymized so you couldn't see what players looked like. The impetus for this work was to get hard data on the racism in commentary (i.e. Black players are always called "athletic", "powerful", etc instead of "tactical", "intelligent" etc), but they also investigated women's soccer. The NWSL in America is the top-flight women's soccer league, yet the players are paid on average about a quarter of the fourth-tier men's League Two in the UK, despite drawing more viewers to matches. The study showed that people tend to think that the men's matches were higher quality... but only if they could see who was playing. In the anonymized version, the women's matches were perceived to be higher quality.

This is only tangentially related lol but I saw it recently and thought it was interesting!
Haha, I know. In case it wasn't obvious, my post was a kneejerk reaction to that Pokémon tweet, using a dumb analogy to point out how silly that sentiment is imo.

Haha, I know. In case it wasn't obvious, my post was a kneejerk reaction to that Pokémon tweet, using a dumb analogy to point out how silly that sentiment is imo.
I knew your post was sarcasm, but I will admit I didn't quite get that it was a dig at the Pokémon thing and now I feel foolish lol

But yeah, that "largest media company in the world" criticism is old and boring, and also a bit of a non-sequitur. Pokémon critics need new material

I did wonder if that was a change in plan and perhaps is the fastest rollout NERD can manage. I don't mind one per month for N64 so long as there's a consistent rollout for the other systems too, and so long as those patches for improved emulation keep coming. We've had very minor fixes in the first patch, so more should be in store.
Honestly I'd be very OK with one game a month instead of 3-4 games every 3-4 months just kinda in general. Also: when they talked about adding additional games during the Direct, the first "additional game" they mentioned was Majora's Mask. My theory is that they planned on adding that one first, but the Ocarina of Time emulation issues (and subsequent backlash) made them hold off until they could get OOT fixed and MM perfected.

But like I said, at one game a month, N64 is going to run out of games to add in less than 2 years. As of right now, we've got Paper Mario in December, Banjo-Kazooie in January, and F-Zero, Kirby, Majora's Mask, Mario Golf and Pokemon Snap are all on deck. Japan is getting Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2, we aren't, unless they want to whip up some official translations which, hey, I would be 1000% into.

But if they added one of these a month, they'd be done by August 2022. Obviously there are some not on that list they could add (twitter user LuigiBlood, who I do not believe is on this forum unfortunately, has a REALLY comprehensive spreadsheet about this) but still... they're gonna run dry pretty quickly.

sure would be cool if their release of F-Zero X included the 64DD Expansion Kit......

My friend in grad school who was from Iran told me he believes that US Men's Soccer hasn't been that successful is because in the US, you are naturally gifted with athletic ability, your first choices are American football, basketball, then baseball and soccer is near the bottom. But in the rest of the world and for women in the US, soccer/football is at the top. Pretty insightful for someone who had only been living in the US for about 2 years at the time. He said he learned English by watching 90s US sitcoms.

He had some wild stories about his life in Iran. He told me the story how the GRE (the US graduate school exam) isn't offered in Iran because there is no US embassy so Iranian students need to travel to neighboring countries and take the exam there. The GRE isn't only offered to international students twice a year. At the time, he was serving in the Iranian military. He had previously used up his leave and couldn't take the day to go take the exam. So he said he snuck out in the middle on the night, drove to Turkmenistan to take the exam, and then drove back to his army base without getting caught.

Honestly I'd be very OK with one game a month instead of 3-4 games every 3-4 months just kinda in general. Also: when they talked about adding additional games during the Direct, the first "additional game" they mentioned was Majora's Mask. My theory is that they planned on adding that one first, but the Ocarina of Time emulation issues (and subsequent backlash) made them hold off until they could get OOT fixed and MM perfected.

But like I said, at one game a month, N64 is going to run out of games to add in less than 2 years. As of right now, we've got Paper Mario in December, Banjo-Kazooie in January, and F-Zero, Kirby, Majora's Mask, Mario Golf and Pokemon Snap are all on deck. Japan is getting Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2, we aren't, unless they want to whip up some official translations which, hey, I would be 1000% into.

But if they added one of these a month, they'd be done by August 2022. Obviously there are some not on that list they could add (twitter user LuigiBlood, who I do not believe is on this forum unfortunately, has a REALLY comprehensive spreadsheet about this) but still... they're gonna run dry pretty quickly.

sure would be cool if their release of F-Zero X included the 64DD Expansion Kit......
I mean bulk of Snes stuff was 2 years, that could just be the main window they aim for, hope to get some additional third party stuff but just plan for another system at that point

I think the point for me here is that, assuming the datamining is accurate, Nintendo already have enough N64 releases for something like 2 and a half years of monthly additions. It's not unreasonable to assume they use that time to try and secure more releases. By that point, we're well into 2024, and NSO as a whole is six years old and the expansion pack is 3 years old. At that point, Nintendo may well overhaul the way they package the subscription.

That's not to say they drop N64 games or 'start over' on new hardware, but they reposition or restructure the subscription. You would sub for access to a fixed library of 30 to 40 N64 games (plus however many hundreds there are with NES, SNES, MegaDrive, GB/GBC, GBA, and perhaps something like PC-Engine and GameGear) rather than for additional N64 games every month. Additional content would come in another form - exclusive indie games, or a rotating library of things similar to Games with Gold or PS Plus. Perhaps, by that point, Nintendo make GameCube available on newer Switch hardware, and add a GameCube game every month.

Essentially, Nintendo are always going to run out of retro games no matter which systems they turn to. I would assume Nintendo will already be thinking about what shape NSO has in 3 years' time, because it will need to change.

I feel like NSO is a golden opportunity for Nintendo to do some historically interesting stuff. Translate Custom Robo (+V2) into English for the first time. Re-release F-Zero X Expansion Kit, allow online track sharing. Get the N64 Animal Crossing on there, reusing the script from the Gamecube release? Stuff like that. I think it'd be interesting. But also I don't think they'll ever do any of it.

I feel like NSO is a golden opportunity for Nintendo to do some historically interesting stuff. Translate Custom Robo (+V2) into English for the first time. Re-release F-Zero X Expansion Kit, allow online track sharing. Get the N64 Animal Crossing on there, reusing the script from the Gamecube release? Stuff like that. I think it'd be interesting. But also I don't think they'll ever do any of it.
The fact that they released a translated Fire Emblem 1 and sold it separately probably means they won't do these things as part of NSO, sadly.

The fact that they released a translated Fire Emblem 1 and sold it separately probably means they won't do these things as part of NSO, sadly.
I always thought it'd be cool if the NSO apps also allowed for a la carte purchases, so one-off extra-effort releases could live there too. Like the Fire Emblem translation, which is now forever lost to the Nintendo Vault.

I think the point for me here is that, assuming the datamining is accurate, Nintendo already have enough N64 releases for something like 2 and a half years of monthly additions. It's not unreasonable to assume they use that time to try and secure more releases. By that point, we're well into 2024, and NSO as a whole is six years old and the expansion pack is 3 years old. At that point, Nintendo may well overhaul the way they package the subscription.

That's not to say they drop N64 games or 'start over' on new hardware, but they reposition or restructure the subscription. You would sub for access to a fixed library of 30 to 40 N64 games (plus however many hundreds there are with NES, SNES, MegaDrive, GB/GBC, GBA, and perhaps something like PC-Engine and GameGear) rather than for additional N64 games every month. Additional content would come in another form - exclusive indie games, or a rotating library of things similar to Games with Gold or PS Plus. Perhaps, by that point, Nintendo make GameCube available on newer Switch hardware, and add a GameCube game every month.

Essentially, Nintendo are always going to run out of retro games no matter which systems they turn to. I would assume Nintendo will already be thinking about what shape NSO has in 3 years' time, because it will need to change.
Oh right, I forgot about the datamine having enough game "slots" to fill like 30 months. OK That's good! I'm ok with that.

I DO wonder what happened to Game Boy. That was clearly done/ready to go. I guess they're going to just sit on it for now. And to your point: I am like 75% confident (and this is based off of nothing but my own hopes and dreams) that PC-Engine will end up on NSO+EP.

And I do think at some point, they outright say "we're out of NES/SNES (and eventually N64) releases for now. we might add some again later down the road, but for now, that's the library." And I think that'd be OK. There's a limited number of those games in existence. Like you said, they gotta run out eventually.

I’d imagine we’ll have a few overlaps on Japan only release months but considering that’d be 4 games tops that’d still leave us with 2 years of updates if monthly
Custom Robo alone has more text than every first party n64 game released in the west… excluding maybe the Pokémon games?

I feel kinda bad for Nintendo re:NSO because obviously third parties would rather sell their old games themselves, and Nintendo’s first party libraries are basically already on there, so all they’ve got left is like… whatever weird third party stuff they can get. Which isn’t much. But every time they do update it, they get a bunch of people who don’t understand how unwilling Square Enix is to play ball demanding Super Mario RPG.

I think at this point, it’d be cool for them to maybe get into like, Satellaview stuff.
Conversely, I don't feel bad for them at all on this specific topic.

Nintendo has plenty of money. However much third parties want to sell their own versions of old games, if Nintendo gives them enough money, they will be open to licensing their games for the NSO service.

If you want evidence: Microsoft and Sony regularly negotiate modern AAA games from third party publishers to be included in Gamepass and PS Plus. Games that those publishers are still selling, and no doubt want to make as much money selling as possible. Sony and Microsoft's answer is to pay those publishers enough to license those games, which then increases the value of those subscription plans for consumers.

Nintendo could easily pay up for this if they wanted. If Square were happy to negotiate with Sony to get FFXV included in PS Plus, there is no way they would be against Chrono Trigger or FF6 being included in the NSO subscription if Nintendo made them a serious offer. This idea that Nintendo will never get third parties to give up their games so they can only give us first party and niche offerings is not true.

My friend in grad school who was from Iran told me he believes that US Men's Soccer hasn't been that successful is because in the US, you are naturally gifted with athletic ability, your first choices are American football, basketball, then baseball and soccer is near the bottom. But in the rest of the world and for women in the US, soccer/football is at the top. Pretty insightful for someone who had only been living in the US for about 2 years at the time. He said he learned English by watching 90s US sitcoms.

He had some wild stories about his life in Iran. He told me the story how the GRE (the US graduate school exam) isn't offered in Iran because there is no US embassy so Iranian students need to travel to neighboring countries and take the exam there. The GRE isn't only offered to international students twice a year. At the time, he was serving in the Iranian military. He had previously used up his leave and couldn't take the day to go take the exam. So he said he snuck out in the middle on the night, drove to Turkmenistan to take the exam, and then drove back to his army base without getting caught.
This is a good point. It's also worth pointing out that if you're good at football (the soccer version), you'd likely make a great kicker in American football and get paid more. (It blows my mind that they have a dedicated kicker. Like, it's always the same kick! You're always right in front of the posts! I could probably do it! At least in rugby you need to be able to kick from any angle)

Need to book my fiancee's booster shot ASAP, Omicron is running rampant through Ontario. Our case numbers are multiplying and ICU's are starting to go up.....

:(

I do think that once they include all N64 games that were promised for the service back in the September Direct this year (which would be in August next year if they keep up the pace and do one game a month), Nintendo will announce the next slate of N64 games to be added (possibly at next year's September Direct?).

Still lots of notable first party games missing, many of which were already included on previous Virtual Consoles:

• Donkey Kong 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Mario Party 2/3
  • Wave Race 64
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Excitebike 64

These alone could make for a decent "Phase 2" for N64 NSO, along with hopefully other third party stuff Bomberman, the other Rare games, Harvest Moon, etc

This is a good point. It's also worth pointing out that if you're good at football (the soccer version), you'd likely make a great kicker in American football and get paid more. (It blows my mind that they have a dedicated kicker. Like, it's always the same kick! You're always right in front of the posts! I could probably do it! At least in rugby you need to be able to kick from any angle)

Some teams have more than 1 kicker, one for field goals and one for punting the ball. The kickers are probably the most under appreciated players on the team. A bad kicker make you miss out on critical points. Even missing extra point after a touchdown can completely change the dynamic of a game, especially when the score is close. I believe the Patriot's leading scorer is their kicker.

But going back to naturally gifted athletes, in high school, players often play more than 1 sport whether it's football + track and field or basketball + baseball. Whatever. They eventually do begin to focus on one sport but soccer is not the top priority for most.

Some teams have more than 1 kicker, one for field goals and one for punting the ball. The kickers are probably the most under appreciated players on the team. A bad kicker make you miss out on critical points. Even missing extra point after a touchdown can completely change the dynamic of a game, especially when the score is close. I believe the Patriot's leading scorer is their kicker.
But my point is - how does a bad kicker get hired? It's the same kick every time, so they're being paid (on average) $600K a year to do literally one thing, and that one thing is pretty easy when compared to other kicking sports. That's why I bring up the rugby comparison, as there you need to be able to kick from multiple angles, etc

But my point is - how does a bad kicker get hired? It's the same kick every time, so they're being paid (on average) $600K a year to do literally one thing, and that one thing is pretty easy when compared to other kicking sports. That's why I bring up the rugby comparison, as there you need to be able to kick from multiple angles, etc

I think that's a bit reductive. It's not the same kick each and every time. Kicking from 20 yards away is not the same as 50 years away. A great kicker will consistently make kicks regardless of distance and weather. Teams get bad kickers but there just aren't as many good kickers as you would believe.

Playing The Swapper for a little bit and being baffled that there's no Switch version and that also apparently the original team parted ways

It's a suspenseful sci-fi puzzle platformer (kinda a Metroidvania but not really, you can explore the map / backtrack but most of the locked paths need a certain number of orbs that you earn by solving the puzzles instead of new abilities). You can make clones and then swap to them, and it's kinda a mystery about how the device you use even works and there's some dialogue about what consciousness even is

I'm playing on a Vita but it's available on the Wii U too btw

Custom Robo alone has more text than every first party n64 game released in the west… excluding maybe the Pokémon games?
hell yeah it does, which is why nintendo should put all that text into English! though in their defense they'd probably feel the need to do a full EFIGS TL if they're going to do one at all, at that's suddenly expensive/time-consuming so I get why maybe they won't.
Conversely, I don't feel bad for them at all on this specific topic.

Nintendo has plenty of money. However much third parties want to sell their own versions of old games, if Nintendo gives them enough money, they will be open to licensing their games for the NSO service.

If you want evidence: Microsoft and Sony regularly negotiate modern AAA games from third party publishers to be included in Gamepass and PS Plus. Games that those publishers are still selling, and no doubt want to make as much money selling as possible. Sony and Microsoft's answer is to pay those publishers enough to license those games, which then increases the value of those subscription plans for consumers.

Nintendo could easily pay up for this if they wanted. If Square were happy to negotiate with Sony to get FFXV included in PS Plus, there is no way they would be against Chrono Trigger or FF6 being included in the NSO subscription if Nintendo made them a serious offer. This idea that Nintendo will never get third parties to give up their games so they can only give us first party and niche offerings is not true.
hmm ok I see where you're coming from on this but you already have the answer: you say "Nintendo could easily pay up for this if they wanted." You're right. But they don't want to. Nintendo doesn't need FF6 or Chrono Trigger on those services. Chrono Trigger being added would cost them some chunk of the $20 a year they're getting, and that would not add enough subscriptions to render it a profitable venture. This is absolutely 100% a calculation they have done, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. What'll happen instead is they'll let Square release FF6 (probably that pixel remaster?) and Chrono Trigger themselves on the eShop, selling them for $20 each and then Nintendo will take their 30% from the eShop sale. This way, they get your $20 for NSO AND they get $6 from the eShop sale, instead of getting your $20 but then giving Square some amount of that $20 just to put Chrono Trigger out.

This is why Nintendo isn't really going after third party NES/SNES games: they will actively make more money if they do not.

The only thing here is that, for Super Mario RPG, Square would need to dance with Nintendo and Nintendo would need to dance with Square. They can't pick who gets to lead that waltz so we just won't get it until they do.
I do think that once they include all N64 games that were promised for the service back in the September Direct this year (which would be in August next year if they keep up the pace and do one game a month), Nintendo will announce the next slate of N64 games to be added (possibly at next year's September Direct?).

Still lots of notable first party games missing, many of which were already included on previous Virtual Consoles:

• Donkey Kong 64
  • Super Smash Bros.
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
  • Cruis'n USA
  • Mario Party 2/3
  • Wave Race 64
  • 1080 Snowboarding
  • Excitebike 64

These alone could make for a decent "Phase 2" for N64 NSO, along with hopefully other third party stuff Bomberman, the other Rare games, Harvest Moon, etc
I feel like Mario Party is out due to Mario Party Superstars basically being Mario Party 1+2+3.

I think Pokemon Stadium + Pokemon Stadium 2 could happen at the same time GB NSO is released, provided they could make that NSO crossover work properly.

hell yeah it does, which is why nintendo should put all that text into English! though in their defense they'd probably feel the need to do a full EFIGS TL if they're going to do one at all, at that's suddenly expensive/time-consuming so I get why maybe they won't.

hmm ok I see where you're coming from on this but you already have the answer: you say "Nintendo could easily pay up for this if they wanted." You're right. But they don't want to. Nintendo doesn't need FF6 or Chrono Trigger on those services. Chrono Trigger being added would cost them some chunk of the $20 a year they're getting, and that would not add enough subscriptions to render it a profitable venture. This is absolutely 100% a calculation they have done, and it would be foolish to think otherwise. What'll happen instead is they'll let Square release FF6 (probably that pixel remaster?) and Chrono Trigger themselves on the eShop, selling them for $20 each and then Nintendo will take their 30% from the eShop sale. This way, they get your $20 for NSO AND they get $6 from the eShop sale, instead of getting your $20 but then giving Square some amount of that $20 just to put Chrono Trigger out.

This is why Nintendo isn't really going after third party NES/SNES games: they will actively make more money if they do not.

The only thing here is that, for Super Mario RPG, Square would need to dance with Nintendo and Nintendo would need to dance with Square. They can't pick who gets to lead that waltz so we just won't get it until they do.

I feel like Mario Party is out due to Mario Party Superstars basically being Mario Party 1+2+3.

I think Pokemon Stadium + Pokemon Stadium 2 could happen at the same time GB NSO is released, provided they could make that NSO crossover work properly.
Mario party is out till next fall but then it’ll likely happen

Mario party is out till next fall but then it’ll likely happen
I was gonna say "maybe once MPSuperstars' launch sales boom is over" but looking at Super Mario Party (these names are confusing lmao) which has continuously sold well since release, I'm not sure there will be a time when they'd rather us buy Superstars than sub to NSO to play Old Mario Party

I was gonna say "maybe once MPSuperstars' launch sales boom is over" but looking at Super Mario Party (these names are confusing lmao) which has continuously sold well since release, I'm not sure there will be a time when they'd rather us buy Superstars than sub to NSO to play Old Mario Party
I’m not sure they see it as a conflict. Maybe if they do paid dlc but currently the game only has 10% of 3’s content and is unlikely to bring most of it since they don’t do story modes anymore or have the duel mode

Anyone remember Zelda Baseball?

A Link Between Worlds is a great game. I always think about replaying it...but never do.

I think I'm about to drop Yakuza Kiwami (in favour of LAD). It's not that the game is bad but I'm feeling quite burnt out by the series' combat. It's the main reason why I'm not that into Judgment.

I think I'm about to drop Yakuza Kiwami (in favour of LAD). It's not that the game is bad but I'm feeling quite burnt out by the series' combat. It's the main reason why I'm not that into Judgment.

Have you tried lowering the difficulty? I did that with Kiwami and was able to stick with the game a little further. I don't mind the combat but the amount of random street battles is what wore me down.

Oh right, I forgot about the datamine having enough game "slots" to fill like 30 months. OK That's good! I'm ok with that.

I DO wonder what happened to Game Boy. That was clearly done/ready to go. I guess they're going to just sit on it for now. And to your point: I am like 75% confident (and this is based off of nothing but my own hopes and dreams) that PC-Engine will end up on NSO+EP.

And I do think at some point, they outright say "we're out of NES/SNES (and eventually N64) releases for now. we might add some again later down the road, but for now, that's the library." And I think that'd be OK. There's a limited number of those games in existence. Like you said, they gotta run out eventually.
Right - and they can top up the subscription with those other systems if they're pacing the release of them. GB/GBC is an interesting one. My assumption is it comes to the expansion pack purely to try and maximise what the higher cost subscription offers, but the launch timing is difficult to figure out. It could well end up being September or October 2022 before that makes it. Perhaps they're hoping to add another system at the same time - PC-Engine would be great at that point, too!

The other thing is, at the time they do run out of releases, the service should or could have somewhere over 300 games - let's say 40 for the N64, 50 for the Mega Drive, at least 100 for GB/GBC/GBA not counting third-party licenses (I did the maths a little while back), plus the current NES + SNES library of ~130 games. So the advertising then becomes "access over 300 classic games". I had another point here, but I had to abandon posting while I did a video appointment with a student and now who knows what was happening in my brain.

Segacan't do what Nintendo'sbeen doing because if Segadid, then their consoles wouldn't have Segadied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom