• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The Famiboards Fantasy Critic Thread (2023 in threadmarks)

frog

Spin it, boys!
Hello! Fantasy Critic is basically fantasy football but for Opencritic scores. I asked in the general thread if there was any interest in a Famiboards fantasy critic league but I figure I'll make the thread anyway and see what happens.

Basically you draft games that you think will have the highest review scores in 2022 and the winner of the game is whoever got the most points based on those review scores. You also have to "counterpick" others' choices, basically bet on whether you think someone else drafted a stinker and you get points if the game you counterpick falls below an 80 on Opencritic.

You can also bid on 2022 games that get announced throughout the year with up to $100 fake money to spend. So if the new F-Zero or Gex game is announced it can still join in on the fun that way.

New to this year is trading, where different participants can exchange drafted games between one another, and "flex slots" that must be filled with certain types of games. I have chosen to require a remaster/"director's cut" since we've seen a lot of those types of releases (Sonic Colors Ultimate, GTA Trilogy, etc.) go south in recent months and they aren't as sure bets as they seem.

Here is a better-written FAQ to explain how all of this works.

If people ae interested you can join the third league HERE. I'll award $5 in eShop credit for the winner as a small prize and incentive to make bids every once in a while.

Famiboards Biggest Muscles Championship (Link)
Fight Milk Ltd. (@hologram)
Elden Ring
Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course

Next Level Dane (@decoreturns)
God of War: Ragnarok
Final Fantasy XVI (CP by @Lelouch0612)

Bethesda Hardworks (@mazi)
Starfield
Redfall (CP by @VengefulMagus)

Footlong Games (@derachi)
Tunic (CP by @estew)
Gran Turismo 7 (CP by @hologram)

Nandai Bamco (@estew)
The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (CP by @DecoReturns)
Triangle Strategy (CP by @Green_Meeple)

Riku Ltd. (@raccoon)
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (CP by @frog)
Metroid Prime Remastered

Monolith Midwest (@NabiscoFelt)
Horizon Forbidden West
Splatoon 3

Atlus North (@VengefulMagus)
Bayonetta 3
Pokemon Legends Arceus (CP by @Raccoon)

Sleepless Games (@GreenMeeple)
Ghostwire Tokyo (CP by @NabiscoFelt)
Total War: Warhammer III (CP by @mazi)

Evolver Digital (@frog)
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
OlliOlli World (CP by @derachi)

Install Base (@lelouch0612)
Hollow Knight: Silksong
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Famiboards Galaxy Brain Gala (Zelda)
Chrono Hearts Ltd. (@Terraforce)
Elden Ring
Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course

Prime4Gaming (@WinterMirage)
God of War: Ragnarok (CP: @pinkpunk)
A Plague Tale: Requiem (CP: @heruderu)

Quadrilateral-Enigma (@shoptroll)
Horizon Forbidden West
Kirby and the Forgotten Land (CP: @Terraforce)

Nahobino Cosmetics (@pinkpunk)
Final Fantasy XVI (CP by @DenkeyKong)
Unannounced Fire Emblem game (CP by @Machine Doogs)

Photon Games (@Plato)
Starfield (CP: @shoptroll)
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Chompy Pug Inc. (@Heruderu)
The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (CP: @Abzeronow)
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

Harada Soft (@uncleoptimus)
Gran Turismo 7
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Falcom West (@abzeronow)
Triangle Strategy
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero (CP: @WinterMirage)

Cursed Games (@Machine Doogs)
Hollow Knight: Silksong (CP: @plato)
Pokemon Legends Arceus (CP: @uncleoptimus)

HereComesDaMon(k)ey (@DenkeyKong)
Bayonetta 3
Splatoon 3

UP: Congratulations to @frog and @Terraforce on winning their respective leagues! I will send the promised eShop credit before the year is over if I remember

Last edited:
wait why did I make the same league three times

hold on

it seems I cannot delete leagues so if you see an extra Famiboards Muscles Championship or two floating around on the website pretend you do not see it

I'll start the drafting after we reach 10 people. Or tomorrow. Whichever comes first.

Not gonna lie I'm a little confused but I'm definitely into it
if i understand correctly (I've never done a fantasy thing before) at some point Frog is gonna say "go" and then we all take turns (in snaking order, so if we have 5 players it goes 1 2 3 4 5 5 4 3 2 1 1 2 3 4 5 etc) picking games we think are gonna score well on OpenCritic. Then we get to pick "Counter Picks" which are games on other people's lists we think are gonna be bad because we lose more points the better they do.

if i understand correctly (I've never done a fantasy thing before) at some point Frog is gonna say "go" and then we all take turns (in snaking order, so if we have 5 players it goes 1 2 3 4 5 5 4 3 2 1 1 2 3 4 5 etc) picking games we think are gonna score well on OpenCritic. Then we get to pick "Counter Picks" which are games on other people's lists we think are gonna be bad because we lose more points the better they do.
Ah okay, thanks. How many games do we get total? What's the pool of games to choose from? How are scores determined? (Is it just sum of OC scores minus the sum of your counterpicks?)

Ah okay, thanks. How many games do we get total? What's the pool of games to choose from? How are scores determined? (Is it just sum of OC scores minus the sum of your counterpicks?)
The website has a "master list" which includes rumoured games that might not actually exist. Correct me if I'm wrong @frog but I believe we can write-in our own games and you can connect them to real games later on, right?

Also the scores have a complicated formula, which is in the websites FAQ haha

You either get positive points or negative points (none if the counterpick is delayed) for counterpicks that are then included in the total score. The way I set it up you have 10 games (including the forced remaster/director's cut slot) and then two counterpicks.

The website has a "master list" which includes rumoured games that might not actually exist. Correct me if I'm wrong @frog but I believe we can write-in our own games and you can connect them to real games later on, right?

Also the scores have a complicated formula, which is in the websites FAQ haha
You either get positive points or negative points (none if the counterpick is delayed) for counterpicks that are then included in the total score. The way I set it up you have 10 games (including the forced remaster/director's cut slot) and then two counterpicks.
Thanks friends, I think I follow now!

Oh boy, I am going to struggle with my last few picks, I definitely do not know 100 games coming out next year haha

Has anyone else had trouble validating their email address? Seems not to matter but just thought I'd point out that I get an error every time I try

Thanks friends, I think I follow now!

Oh boy, I am going to struggle with my last few picks, I definitely do not know 100 games coming out next year haha

Has anyone else had trouble validating their email address? Seems not to matter but just thought I'd point out that I get an error every time I try
Nope, mine validated right away.

did not expect this much interest. Should I reduce the number of games to 6

edit: reduced # of games to 6

gonna go to sleep now, hopefully i don't hold up the draft for too long. will pick my games when i wake up.

also maybe we can work with admins/mods to make a badge for the 2022 League winner??? @frog I think that'd be cool and good

Hey @frog maybe we do the draft tomorrow when @mazi is awake
We can start the draft so the people who get chosen before Mazi can draft and then we wait until Mazi wakes up. Not sure how to close new entrants so if we reach above 10 people there might be too many people for one league.

We can start the draft so the people who get chosen before Mazi can draft and then we wait until Mazi wakes up. Not sure how to close new entrants so if we reach above 10 people there might be too many people for one league.
That's fair!!! let's do it

Began the draft! But I don't think the draft order is random? That doesn't seem fair to me. Let me see if I can fix that. (EDIT: fixed)

I can also organize a second league. The winners of both leagues would get a $5 card each in that case. (I would change the league manager and then kick myself out)

As for the first league, @hologram you are up! Tag the next person in the draft order after you have made your pick.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, the only reason I usually join any fantasy league is to come up with funny team names. Usually doing all of this is too stressful for me.

I'll give it some thought.

It is worth 0 points. But I did set the league so you are allowed one drop of a delayed game. If more than one of your games is delayed then you're out of luck.
I guess I'll have to restrain myself from snagging Final Fantasy XVI. I'm in.

It is worth 0 points. But I did set the league so you are allowed one drop of a delayed game. If more than one of your games is delayed then you're out of luck.
What does dropping a delayed game mean?

What does dropping a delayed game mean?
Once the owner of the site marks the delayed game as "will not release" you can remove it from your team and replace it with something that hopefully does release in 2022.

And it is your turn to pick the first game!

Once the owner of the site marks the delayed game as "will not release" you can remove it from your team and replace it with something that hopefully does release in 2022.

And it is your turn to pick the first game!
Haha yes I know, sorry. The "delayed game" provision changes the math slightly and is making me re-think my choice...

Alright I made my decision. The game delay provision threw my math a bit, as it makes it less risky to choose a game which might not make 2022, but I decided to stick to my original pick of Elden Ring.

@DecoReturns, you're up!

I think I’m getting the hang of this. I couldn’t find a list of what’s allow.

What about re-releases? Like how FFVII remake came in 2020 but PC just today 2021

I think I’m getting the hang of this. I couldn’t find a list of what’s allow.

What about re-releases? Like how FFVII remake came in 2020 but PC just today 2021
Director's cuts, ports, remasters, and "partial remakes" are not included in initial drafting I think. Unless you are allowed to fill in the flex slot in the first round of drafting. @hologram did the site let you choose a remaster as your first pick

Me done! @Estew your turn!
Derachi with the early wild card!

I know we can all see it on the site but maybe it would be cool to have the info on who has picked what here too? I picked Elden Ring, @DecoReturns picked God of War: Ragnarok, @mazi picked Starfield and @Derachi picked Tunic. @frog maybe we can keep track of everyone's picks in the OP? It's your OP so it's totally up to you but if you like the idea I can also help you keep it updated

Back
Top Bottom