• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vague memory of Sakurai actually singing the praises of 13 Sentinels on his personal Twitter account years ago, like before the game was announced on Switch. Wouldn't be surprised if he actually reached out to the devs firsthand to ask permission haha

He did. Something like "There has been nothing like 13 Sentinels, you should definitely play it."

Jon Stewart is returning to The Daily Show to cover the 2024 US presidential election.

This feels like a bigger deal to me than it should 😅

Just got unreasonably hyped when I remembered that every Forza Horizon game so far has been announced and revealed within the same year. And the gap between 4 and 5 was three years. And it's been three years since 5.

6 this year? Japan? 👀

Just got unreasonably hyped when I remembered that every Forza Horizon game so far has been announced and revealed within the same year. And the gap between 4 and 5 was three years. And it's been three years since 5.

6 this year? Japan? 👀
@Concernt made this exact point the other day lol. Apparently if you include expansions, Forza Horizon is basically an annual franchise, so it seems reasonable to expect something

typical nintendo people: “WOW DOUG IS IN KYOTO THERE MUST BE A DIRECT COMING UP SOON”
me: ”this is genuinely a beautiful picture. I hope Doug is having a wonderful time.”

@Concernt made this exact point the other day lol. Apparently if you include expansions, Forza Horizon is basically an annual franchise, so it seems reasonable to expect something
2020 didn't have a new map, mea culpa, but had the next gen patch for Xbox Series X|S as well as a custom track and challenge mode in the Super 7 update. I think that's really stretching things, but ultimately it was a huge investment of effort for SOME kind of Forza Horizon content in 2020. Plus, Horizon 4's first expansion was during launch year, it still averages a new map every year.

I think if they wanted Horizon 5 to last extra long, they maybe would have held back the creative features and the new "build plate" map from last year. However with those well and truly out and about, there's not much left for Forza Horizon 5, even new car additions have slowed. These are ultimately the most live service of live service games, and have been since the beginning. Forza Horizon 5 is likely to hit EOL this Autumn with all its content (plus extras) in place practically already. When that comes they'll want something to take its place.

Forza Horizon has a new game every three years*, and this year Horizon 5 is likely to hit EOL: the conclusion seems pretty clear. They've had either a new game, a new expansion, or a major content update every year for what seems like a decade at this point.

Planning and development for the next game starts before the release of the last, so it's not like they're working with three year dev times, probably closer to four or five; there have been rumours of the Japan map since before Horizon 5 came out.

*it used to be every 2 until the gap from Horizon 4 to 5.

Last edited:
We got a release date for Umbraclaw!

Game is giving me some Baroque vibes because it looks like you may have to lose a life in order to progress further?

this isn't going to make any sense to anyone else but I was watching another youtube video in another tab and i started watching that trailer. and when the cat got the orb and powered up at 28 seconds the other youtube video lined up perfectly and played the first note of Gangnam Style and it was the funniest shit I've seen in awhile.

wow this civ 6 run with zombies has been kinda nutty. every other civ has like one city at best, entire islands just swarming with zombies, all the city states wiped out by the medieval period. completely unbalanced. only hanging on because im playing vietnam and drive out the aggressors gives you a bonus while fighting. otherwise whew.

wow this civ 6 run with zombies has been kinda nutty. every other civ has like one city at best, entire islands just swarming with zombies, all the city states wiped out by the medieval period. completely unbalanced. only hanging on because im playing vietnam and drive out the aggressors gives you a bonus while fighting. otherwise whew.
Counter zombies with vampires! Toggle the secret societies on and clear a barbarian camp, You'll have a vampire army in no time (but you'll be beaten again as zombie mode is just ridiculous).

This is a very long and sometimes depressing yet also very informative look at the state of the gaming industry and economics:

https://www.matthewball.vc/all/gaming2024

Lots of really interesting info in there and a good read
A lot here to take in, but one thing that stands out to me is how video games take a long time to make and a long time to play, so studios become more and more risk averse. Definitely feel as I get older gaming is just a black hole of time and often feel more motivated after a long day of work to do something else to unwind.

There's this video about the construction of Epic Universe for Universal team members that went out on social media. At 1:12 into the clip there's a part with people in construction gear at the site of Super Nintendo World, and its believed that Miyamoto and Aonuma are there in that scene.

Screenshot-20240124-220108-Discord.jpg

Miyamoto makes sense cause it's the building site for Mario & DK in Florida. But Aonuma? Seems there's even more smoke now to that rumor of Universal pitching a Zelda land to Nintendo.

There's this video about the construction of Epic Universe for Universal team members that went out on social media. At 1:12 into the clip there's a part with people in construction gear at the site of Super Nintendo World, and its believed that Miyamoto and Aonuma are there in that scene.

Miyamoto makes sense cause it's the building site for Mario & DK in Florida. But Aonuma? Seems there's even more smoke now to that rumor of Universal pitching a Zelda land to Nintendo.

Just a friendly reminder J. K. Rowling gets a cut of Universal Studios park sales whether or not you go to the Harry Potter world.

Last edited:

i mean there is a triforce above his head

Just a friendly reminder J. K. Rowling gets a cut of Universal Studios park sales whether or not you go to the Harry Potter world.

No she doesn't.

What she gets a cut of is the sales on any HP branded food and merch, as well as a regular licensing payment from Universal for the IP. So she doesn't get a cut off park tickets or anything.

No she doesn't.

What she gets a cut of is the sales on any HP branded food and merch, as well as a regular licensing payment from Universal for the IP. So she doesn't get a cut off park tickets or anything.
heaven forfend we describe the mechanism by which JKR profits so long as Universal parks profit slightly incorrectly

heaven forfend we describe the mechanism by which JKR profits so long as Universal parks profit slightly incorrectly

? The point I'm making is you can go to a Universal park to enjoy the Nintendo stuff and your money won't go to JKR so long as you don't go into the HP areas and spend money. That's it.

If you want to avoid Universal entirely because they're a business partner of hers then sure that's a choice that's fair to make.

This is false. This is like saying she gets a cut from every unrelated movie Warner Bros makes.

Edit: And because I actually have personal stakes in this, the money also goes to my friends and ex-coworkers who have nothing to do with her.

? The point I'm making is you can go to a Universal park to enjoy the Nintendo stuff and your money won't go to JKR so long as you don't go into the HP areas and spend money. That's it.

If you want to avoid Universal entirely because they're a business partner of hers then sure that's a choice that's fair to make.
sure, it doesn’t get paid directly. but you can’t pretend the relationship isn’t symbiotic. like Universal is paying WILD fucking amounts of money to make this real. they’re literally contractually obligated to make the JKR areas “better” than the rest of the parks.

you can’t slice this shit piecemeal for your conscience. especially not at that amount of money. especially not with how much of that money is a knife at my throat. not with how many of my friends have died because of that money.

if anyone wants to read the contract themselves (with things like payout amount redacted), go ahead

This is false. This is like saying she gets a cut from every unrelated movie Warner Bros makes.

Edit: And because I actually have personal stakes in this, the money also goes to my friends and ex-coworkers who have nothing to do with her.
i’m gonna go ahead and say my personal stakes are more deadly than yours

sure, it doesn’t get paid directly. but you can’t pretend the relationship isn’t symbiotic. like Universal is paying WILD fucking amounts of money to make this real. they’re literally contractually obligated to make the JKR areas “better” than the rest of the parks.

you can’t slice this shit piecemeal for your conscience. especially not at that amount of money. especially not with how much of that money is a knife at my throat. not with how many of my friends have died because of that money.

if anyone wants to read the contract themselves (with things like payout amount redacted), go ahead

If you don't want to support companies that give her content a platform then don't.

But there is no issue with pointing out how she makes her money so that other people can make their own choice. I don't see how it helps anyone to spread confusion on how it works simply because JKR is evil.

y’all are really gonna split cause and effect rather than holistically understand our blood cash inferno, huh

i’ve typed a good fifty followup sentences but if I say what I think here, we’re gonna have a bad time

bioreconstruct is a good Twitter follow for aerial shots of the Epic Universe construction. Been fun watching the fountain centerpiece come together. Plus that one hotel with all the shiny scales on the side.

Please refrain from strawman arguments to argue your point in light of the context. -xghost777, Tangerine Cookie, big lantern ghost, Dardan Sandiego
I think it's just a ridiculous point to try and drag people who go to Super Nintendo World, and thereby Universal, over false information on whether the money you pay on a ticket is going to her when its factually not. The entire contract is online and there are articles out there breaking it down easily for anyone who wants to know.

Don't support Warner Bros. then. If you buy a Batman movie or Mortal Kombat game your money is going to a company who then pays JKR for HP movies.

Don't support the games industry too. The likes of Sony and Nintendo are happy to host HL on their storefront and promote it on their platform which gives JKR money.

The Green Sandpiper
330px-Green_sandpiper_%28Tringa_ochropus%29.jpg

Found mostly in Europe, Asia & Africa, the Green Sandpiper is named that because its legs and bill are dark green. Truly breathtaking.

If you don't want to support companies that give her content a platform then don't.

But there is no issue with pointing out how she makes her money so that other people can make their own choice. I don't see how it helps anyone to spread confusion on how it works simply because JKR is evil.
ah yes, linking the literal contract is “spreading confusion”

giving platform doesn’t happen in a vacuum — especially with how unprecedented the partnership outlined is. yeah, JKR doesn’t get cash from every coke sold or ticket sale. but what sum do you think they’re paying to make that an attractive deal? one which literally stipulates those rides have to be the “best” in the parks?

that’s the kind of partnership that isn’t operating on chump change. that’s fullscale integration at prices that are gonna match that. if she’s not getting a cut of ticket sales, you’d easily imagine the sum would have to be more attractive than that, right? at a rate increases every three years

you can tell everyone it’s chill like none of the arms talk to the same head but her knife isn’t pointed at your throat — it’s pointed at mine.

Linking the contract isn't confusion, by that I mean saying she gets a cut on park ticket sales just to push away people from engaging with SNW on the forum, especially when she doesn't get a cut of park tickets at all.

This is my last post on this subject. Sorry to make people upset. I won't post rumors/info on SNW here again.

Linking the contract isn't confusion, by that I mean saying she gets a cut on park ticket sales just to push away people from engaging with SNW on the forum, especially when she doesn't get a cut of park tickets at all.

This is my last post on this subject. Sorry to make people upset. I won't post rumors/info on SNW here again.
I'm with you here. I don't want my coworkers and friends to be lumped in with a transphobe because Universal executives made a contract 16 years ago. Especially because Universal is by far the most inclusive and welcoming place I have ever worked for. That should be celebrated.

Smash Kirby said that JKR gets a cut of sales. Didn’t specify of what. Might have meant tickets, which is incorrect, but your slapbacks to each of my statements are deadset on correcting an interpretation of someone else’s comment — taken charitably.

you can post whatever the fuck you want within the confines of the site. you can enjoy your theme parks or whatever the fuck

just don’t expect there not to be irritated responses from people who are directly targeted by those who profit

I'm with you here. I don't want my coworkers and friends to be lumped in with a transphobe because Universal executives made a contract 16 years ago. Especially because Universal is by far the most inclusive and welcoming place I have ever worked for. That should be celebrated.
your coworkers and friends are associated with a transphobe because they work at a park that has a section devoted to a transphobe’s shitty little world

I’m not saying your friends are transphobes. but y’all are literally making money off of people coming to visit the Transphobe’s Kingdom of Imagination

that money goes there no matter what you do. they’re making way more than you, your coworkers, your friends, everyone who makes it possible for them.

those mountains of cash more than you — the people who make it function — that they make… a solid chunk of it goes to some of the most influential transphobia in the literal world

and that contract is renegotiable every handful of years. there was no alteration. it renews this year in July, actually, so get ready for a whopping nothing to change again!

"While we understand tensions are rightfully high around this subject, sending an expletive-filled reply with remarks like "go have the time of your miserable life" to another user is not OK." - big lantern ghost, meatbag, mariodk18
it must be so nice to be able to hang onto the semantics and but my cool friends! as the biggest fights you have to pick here

like the blood-soaked behemoth of starbucks doesn’t hire a ton of cool and / or queer people and then ruin their lives when they try to unionize

like capital doesn’t leverage this shit all the time as a diversion from the literal worst shit imaginable

like all this theme park horseshit isn’t the most gaudy flaunt of grotesque wealth, which would be maybe a hair closer to relative “bad bad neutral” without the JKRs of the world

like Daddy Biden isn’t the same blood-spackled old man making sure every penny you sweat off your day jobs at Lesser Evil Inc goes straight back into Raytheon genocide — fucking ungodly sums — and making sure you get fired for protesting it

like you don’t live in the sick fantasy of people a million times worse than your ideals, and like none of these things have consequence

I can’t stop you! go have the time of your miserable life! but I am NOT going to just fucking lay down and find out how many ways I can be slaughtered! how my dearest friends can be slaughtered! how this beautiful impossible planet can be devoured and shat out! say whatever you want but I WILL SAY SHIT BACK because I will NOT stop giving a shit and my heart will NOT stop breaking about it until gravity catches up to me and I cash my longstanding raincheck with the pavement!

Last edited:
Jon Stewart is returning to The Daily Show to cover the 2024 US presidential election.

This feels like a bigger deal to me than it should 😅
Wooord! I’m hyped as well.

By the way, it’d be funny if he either stays after the electoral season, or he retires again and they bring back Trevor Noah ahahahahahahhaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom