• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got something fun in
IMG_7552.jpg

before anyone has anything less charitable to say about it

I know some of you think I’m full of shit or an idiot

I know some of you would not care nor do the bare minimum even if you believed it

I know this because it’s ruined my entire life, and likely done irreparable damage to yours

but I’m not going to stop talking about it

it’s not like a cold

it’s not even like the flu as we know it these days

no matter how mild your symptoms, catching it can lay the groundwork for incredible horror for decades to come — in your immune system, and in your world

we keep getting variants because people have stopped trying to avoid it, and that puts people like me at massive risk

healthcare workers who’ve gotten it five times don’t come back. they’re either disabled by that point or dealing with at least chronic fatigue

because we keep cooking it, we have to keep up-to-date on research that is actively being suppressed and undercut, which only grows harder

please. please don’t take it lightly

i’m asking you to still be masking, to get regular vaccinations, and to still operate like we’re in a plague to at least some degree

every day you don’t, you’re telling the immunocompromised and disabled that you want them to die, and we can see it on your face in public — whether you will or won’t wear a mask. I know every single day how many people in the waking world want me to die.

and you’re saying “I want to get disabled, I want Long Covid, I want a chronic condition I won’t acknowledge that no one will help me with that will make my life hell.”

like I already knew people wanted me dead but my god, so many people don’t fucking care if they live or die, or get chronically ill, or get their families chronically ill, etc etc etc

I also know systems have fucked us over and keep fucking us over

but this is a case where individual choices really really do matter and wearing a mask is like… the bare minimum solidarity measure. and can only do so much, especially if you think that’s all you need to do and won’t do any other part of COVID mitigation

I was primed to be a target for this shit, a “it only kills the vulnerable” person ignored — my partner is immunocompromised, we were already somewhat unsafe, and I have a history of mild other shit — like many of you, even if you think you don’t.

but it’s much worse than the horrible it even seemed at the beginning. we’ve tamped down immediate hospitalization and death in “super healthy” outliers — even though a not-insignificant portion of that “numbers difference” is due to how many vulnerable people straight-up died to COVID in the first waves

the vaccines certainly help, but they are stopgaps, not cures — they reduce the worst outcomes, for a time, and fade away as soon as they’re in. until we have a vaccine that can target all present and future variants — something that is in the works! but will take quite a long time — every vaccination is a good step but never bulletproof. you feel it less. you shed it slightly less. but it still moves through you and can still make others sick, or evolve

yeah I’m ranting, I’m sure most of you dipped

I caught it for the first time this year in January, right after the big spike

because I needed toilet paper and cucumbers from the grocery store around the corner and couldn’t afford to get grocery delivery or anything like that

I went in fully decked out in an N95. best practice is to never be in one place for more than 15 minutes, even with an N95. The line was long. I was there for 17. maybe 20.

and I got it, and it sucked ass, and everything has been so much worse since because I have Long Covid, which is chronic, and doesn’t really go away for most people.

i havent been sleeping this week because my pain and nerve shit is the worst it’s been since this began. I am having really horrible time. and I don’t want this for me, you, or anyone

so you can wave me off, ignore me, go to your halloween party, see Barbie again in the damn theater because Capitalism Won

but fuck

please

if you won’t give a shit for us now or yourselves

there’s not much in the way of hope

I don’t want to keep watching this all get worse

when I say shit like “be sure you know testing idiosyncrasies of the latest covid variations!” that’s me using incredible restraint

and I still get treated like a fucking pariah for it most places

i don’t know what the point of this was

i don’t think you’ll change your minds

you might yeah! it and still not wear a mask

my loved ones and I will keep being alone in a world that hates us

just. idk.

i don’t know who I’m kidding about changing minds here

carry on

Fell asleep while watching Pluto. You know what that means...

It means I didn't get enough sleep last night
I started Pluto but at like 11 pm (been busy). So I totally get you lol (turn it off before I fully fell asleep though).

But I watched like 30 minutes and man I am conflicted, not in a bad way or anything lol. Its just that I love Naoki Urasawa's art (and I recently re-watched Monster) and its messing with me seeing a bunch of the character that looked like the Monster cast with different names lol. The premise is super fascinating and it give GIST vibes.

Today I got to work at the I CAN Expo, Australia's biggest autistic youth event!
There was this one kid who have a presentation on the history of Pokemon, it was amazing.

Always wanted to add a San Diego Loyal SC kit to the collection, and now that they are getting unfortunately bullied into folding by the MLS, they are cheaper than ever, so naturally I picked one up.

but this is a case where individual choices really really do matter and wearing a mask is like… the bare minimum solidarity measure
I’ll keep beating on this drum too. I’m obviously biased since I’m a healthcare professional, but please people, use those masks, and maintain social distancing. It might save you a trip to the doctor!

I really don't get the resistance to masking up. The few times I don't wear my mask anymore are basically just the times where I either forgot one or it broke when I was putting it on

It's so easy to put a thin piece of fabric over your face for the short amount of time you spend in a crowded indoor space.

Happy 6th Anniversary to Super Mario Odyssey!

(I don't have much to add to the mask talk - wear one, get your vaccines, and take care of one another)

before anyone has anything less charitable to say about it

I know some of you think I’m full of shit or an idiot

I know some of you would not care nor do the bare minimum even if you believed it

I know this because it’s ruined my entire life, and likely done irreparable damage to yours

but I’m not going to stop talking about it

it’s not like a cold

it’s not even like the flu as we know it these days

no matter how mild your symptoms, catching it can lay the groundwork for incredible horror for decades to come — in your immune system, and in your world

we keep getting variants because people have stopped trying to avoid it, and that puts people like me at massive risk

healthcare workers who’ve gotten it five times don’t come back. they’re either disabled by that point or dealing with at least chronic fatigue

because we keep cooking it, we have to keep up-to-date on research that is actively being suppressed and undercut, which only grows harder

please. please don’t take it lightly

i’m asking you to still be masking, to get regular vaccinations, and to still operate like we’re in a plague to at least some degree

every day you don’t, you’re telling the immunocompromised and disabled that you want them to die, and we can see it on your face in public — whether you will or won’t wear a mask. I know every single day how many people in the waking world want me to die.

and you’re saying “I want to get disabled, I want Long Covid, I want a chronic condition I won’t acknowledge that no one will help me with that will make my life hell.”

like I already knew people wanted me dead but my god, so many people don’t fucking care if they live or die, or get chronically ill, or get their families chronically ill, etc etc etc

I also know systems have fucked us over and keep fucking us over

but this is a case where individual choices really really do matter and wearing a mask is like… the bare minimum solidarity measure. and can only do so much, especially if you think that’s all you need to do and won’t do any other part of COVID mitigation

I was primed to be a target for this shit, a “it only kills the vulnerable” person ignored — my partner is immunocompromised, we were already somewhat unsafe, and I have a history of mild other shit — like many of you, even if you think you don’t.

but it’s much worse than the horrible it even seemed at the beginning. we’ve tamped down immediate hospitalization and death in “super healthy” outliers — even though a not-insignificant portion of that “numbers difference” is due to how many vulnerable people straight-up died to COVID in the first waves

the vaccines certainly help, but they are stopgaps, not cures — they reduce the worst outcomes, for a time, and fade away as soon as they’re in. until we have a vaccine that can target all present and future variants — something that is in the works! but will take quite a long time — every vaccination is a good step but never bulletproof. you feel it less. you shed it slightly less. but it still moves through you and can still make others sick, or evolve

yeah I’m ranting, I’m sure most of you dipped

I caught it for the first time this year in January, right after the big spike

because I needed toilet paper and cucumbers from the grocery store around the corner and couldn’t afford to get grocery delivery or anything like that

I went in fully decked out in an N95. best practice is to never be in one place for more than 15 minutes, even with an N95. The line was long. I was there for 17. maybe 20.

and I got it, and it sucked ass, and everything has been so much worse since because I have Long Covid, which is chronic, and doesn’t really go away for most people.

i havent been sleeping this week because my pain and nerve shit is the worst it’s been since this began. I am having really horrible time. and I don’t want this for me, you, or anyone

so you can wave me off, ignore me, go to your halloween party, see Barbie again in the damn theater because Capitalism Won

but fuck

please

if you won’t give a shit for us now or yourselves

there’s not much in the way of hope

I don’t want to keep watching this all get worse

when I say shit like “be sure you know testing idiosyncrasies of the latest covid variations!” that’s me using incredible restraint

and I still get treated like a fucking pariah for it most places

i don’t know what the point of this was

i don’t think you’ll change your minds

you might yeah! it and still not wear a mask

my loved ones and I will keep being alone in a world that hates us

just. idk.

i don’t know who I’m kidding about changing minds here

carry on
Ya know

Your covid rants always bring me a little comfort. Which probably sounds weird but honestly the attitude around here has been so much that covid isn't anything to be concerned about at best and isn't even real at worst, with "no masking" signs popping up almost immediately at local businesses. The antimask and antivax sentiments around here have made me feel so alienated, and it's so huge that I often start feeling like if I really was blowing it out of proportion like conservatives say we have been. Feels lonely and scary to question my own perception of reality, so when you pop up with an impassioned rant about the subject it's a nice reminder that okay, yeah, I'm not alone in continuing to fight this horseshit.

I know that doesn't count as you changing a mind but still, your efforts and awareness and giveashitness are appreciated.

Ya know

Your covid rants always bring me a little comfort. Which probably sounds weird but honestly the attitude around here has been so much that covid isn't anything to be concerned about at best and isn't even real at worst, with "no masking" signs popping up almost immediately at local businesses. The antimask and antivax sentiments around here have made me feel so alienated, and it's so huge that I often start feeling like if I really was blowing it out of proportion like conservatives say we have been. Feels lonely and scary to question my own perception of reality, so when you pop up with an impassioned rant about the subject it's a nice reminder that okay, yeah, I'm not alone in continuing to fight this horseshit.

I know that doesn't count as you changing a mind but still, your efforts and awareness and giveashitness are appreciated.
I'm right there with you - even around here, where covid was taken reasonably seriously, I feel like the current attitude is that not only is it over and done with, most people seem to barely even remember that it exists at all. Or if they do, like I was talking to a guy in a hospital lab the other day, he basically just said "Yeah covid is still around but it's an endemic now, we're just going to be dealing with it forever and it'll become more or less another yearly flu type situation". And then he just sort of shrugged, like that was no big deal.

At least I am starting to see more people masking lately, especially at places like the airport, but it's not even remotely close to where we should be.

Me: Ah, the weekend is here! Nice fall weekend just before Halloween - maybe I'll go for a mountain hike, or go wander around looking at Halloween decorations in the neighborhood, or do a fall cookout, or...

checks the weather

iMd21Tm.png

...or make more beef stew and sit by the fire playing videogames under a blanket

Me: Ah, the weekend is here! Nice fall weekend just before Halloween - maybe I'll go for a mountain hike, or go wander around looking at Halloween decorations in the neighborhood, or do a fall cookout, or...

checks the weather

iMd21Tm.png

...or make more beef stew and sit by the fire playing videogames under a blanket
It's gonna be 85 degrees here tomorrow....yeah

I wear masks everywhere if I have to go out and have no plans to stop. Only myself, my immediate family, and one of my friends haven't gotten it yet. Been a big anecdotal local uptick the past few months and some other nasty cold stuff going around too :/

It's gonna be 85 degrees here tomorrow....yeah
I think I prefer it not even getting above freezing all weekend over it being 85 degrees, geez. I've had more than enough of that for the year. If you want to cool off some, drive over to Colorado!

I’ll keep beating on this drum too. I’m obviously biased since I’m a healthcare professional, but please people, use those masks, and maintain social distancing. It might save you a trip to the doctor!
it also might save the rest of us dying or getting debilitating lifelong conditions

thank you for everyone chiming in, though. I know I’m not crazy — I mean I am, but not because of this — but hearing it reinforced does mean a lot to me when everything’s a shitshow

Today I played 10 hours of Alan Wake II. Might need a break for some Deadly Premonition.

So damn jealous of Sakurai right now

Xj8MELb.png

I can't believe he saw the new MR2 concept before me, and I'm the Toyota nerd 😩

anyone seen Loki season 2 yet?
Yes, the photography, the camera movements and the editing is putting to shame every other MCU project. Fucking hell, a MCU project that actually looks good, and I'm not even talking about CGI, it feels surreal. Someone please make Jon Watts and his editor watch it.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet though, but the first 3 are real good.

Yeah, not really feeling it though. Feels a bit disjointed and hard to follow

Watching it with my girlfriend but it feels a bit lost on what it wants to accomplish
I’m enjoying it actually in comparison to the recent marvel stuff.
Yes, the photography, the camera movements and the editing is putting to shame every other MCU project. Fucking hell, a MCU project that actually looks good, and I'm not even talking about CGI, it feels surreal. Someone please make Jon Watts and his editor watch it.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet though, but the first 3 are real good.
oooooo defo watch the latest one when you can it’s fantastic imo.

Really getting into the hang of World of Horror now. It's such a unique game, I'm really glad it's gotten so (relatively) popular for such a niche idea from a solo dev.

Bit on that Grim Fandango deal since I’ve never played it. Resisted lost in random tho cause the aesthetics aren’t my style

Also had a really fun lucky kit sale grab, I’ll have to post pics when the 3 get in, one sold out like seconds after I bought it

Mike Pollock (voice of Dr Eggman) just popped up in Pluto, and his first line was refusing to build robots for warfare. I am sent 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom