• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality of the game aside (I like it, at least) Infinity Strash is another Unreal Engine game that has me asking why P3R isn’t coming to Switch

okok you know what you got me

I do share my first name with that character
parks-and-rec-cones-of-dunshire.gif

SURE FUCKING ENOUGH

Same Beamdog that ported Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition to Switch. Fuck Embracer Group
I think there was some other layoffs that didn’t make the forum news circuit earlier this week or last. I’ll see if I can dig them up when I get back to my computer.

Beamdog didn’t just do the port, they were the devs on a number of Infinity Engine “Enhanced Edition” games, and employed a number of former BioWare developers. It was always odd to me that BG3 went to Larian not Beamdog 🤷‍♂️

I got nintendo online expansion pass now, anyone wanna play mario and luigi online? You can be mario or luigi, your choice

okay, keeping it to one game per series (and considering 2D and 3D versions of the same franchise as being separate "series"), here it be:

6QuxQ26.png

Y'all know any good games with horror settings/tales that aren't really typical scary horror games? So more Castlevania or Paranormasight rather than Resident Evil or Amnesia?

OK, I should post mine too:

chartrgfcq.png

I added two extra rows as picking the favorites is quite hard...

Albums:
chart1i1ijw.png

One of my favorite joys of running multiple sports fan servers on Discord is creating icons for the next season months ahead of time.

Y'all know any good games with horror settings/tales that aren't really typical scary horror games? So more Castlevania or Paranormasight rather than Resident Evil or Amnesia?
I'm not sure where Alan Wake falls on that scale but if there's ever a time of year to play a game heavily inspired by Stephen King novels it's now

Has anyone swapped city life for the country with Harvest Moon on NSO? I started a new file earlier today and it's like putting on a warm, well-worn sweater.

Harvest Moon was one of the first games I ever emulated, in the late 90s, using ZSNES. Me and a neighbour kid got so hooked we even made a fanpage using Microsoft FrontPage that we published on GeoCities. 😂

It's just so relaxing. Why are chores you do in-game so much more appealing that IRL?

Pro Tip: the turbo function on the Hori Split pads will make chopping wood a little less taxing on your thumb.

Parasite Eve might count depending on how much you can handle body horror in the cutscenes.

Otherwise, if you like board games stuff like Eldritch Horror or the Arkham Horror Card Game can be a bit of fun

Has anyone swapped city life for the country with Harvest Moon on NSO? I started a new file earlier today and it's like putting on a warm, well-worn sweater.

Harvest Moon was one of the first games I ever emulated, in the late 90s, using ZSNES. Me and a neighbour kid got so hooked we even made a fanpage using Microsoft FrontPage that we published on GeoCities. 😂

It's just so relaxing. Why are chores you do in-game so much more appealing that IRL?

Pro Tip: the turbo function on the Hori Split pads will make chopping wood a little less taxing on your thumb.
I remember the first time I read about Harvest Moon in a copy of Nintendo Power and asking my parents for it as a Christmas present. That game ended up being one of my most played SNES games next to the DKC trilogy and Kirby Super Star. Even though it's not likely I would ever play it that much again these days it's good to have it on the service.

Lemme just turn my headphones off for the night.
Lemme just watch this video 1 minute later.
Why is there no sound?
Oh.

The only GaaS games that I play are Destiny 2 and Fire Emblem Heroes. For Destiny 2, I think I'm like many people who plan on moving on once The Final Shape releases. It's the end of the current storyline and it seems like a good hopping off point. I have dabbled in a few seasons but I usually get burned out way before I ever reach the end of the battle pass. It's better to just get my fill in when major expansions release each year. With Fire Emblem Heroes, it's relatively simplicity it's the major selling point. There are always time where I'm just standing around, going to the the bathroom, or just want a quick break from work. I can get in a battle or two and be done with it. It's not a major time commitments for me.

I think the promise of a live service seems better than reality, for both the developers and the players. For the developers, you can keep selling content month after month and expand on a game or world you like working on. For fans, you get more content more quickly. But that content comes at a cost. It means a lot of monetization with bloated teams to keep churning out stuff to keep people engaged. The engagement becomes an addiction or an obligation or in the opposite direction, makes you numb to the new stuff you're going getting. You're not given the time to miss something.

People complained a lot about annual sequels back in the day but I found it to be a better middle ground compared to live services. You get something familiar to look forward to and play each year. Once it's done, you get another year break until the next thing comes around. It's like your favorite TV show coming back every year. Sure, it may not be the greatest thing ever but it's something you know you'll probably like. A safe but satisfying purchase.

In a week of shit industry news from layoffs and cancellations, I'm frantically scrounging to make sure none of the bullshit Embracer's been doing in their restructuring has escaped the news circles
As promised, here's what I've seen reports of in the last week or so:

(I think this is the same layoff, just reported much closer to when it occurred)

Same day we got reports of layoffs at Crystal Dynamics:

And Gearbox may be up for sale too:

EDIT: But wait! There's more:

Those madmen at Namco, they actually did it, they made a HG Destroy Gundam

20230928_195408.jpg

On the other hand no clue who was asking for this one

As promised, here's what I've seen reports of in the last week or so:

(I think this is the same layoff, just reported much closer to when it occurred)

Same day we got reports of layoffs at Crystal Dynamics:

And Gearbox may be up for sale too:

EDIT: But wait! There's more:

Thank you for collecting this info, I think it's extremely important that this is highlighted as the consequence of mass acquisition.

Equal parts infuriating and depressing that the perpetrators of these boneheaded business decisions will be the ones getting off scotfree

All of the topster charts I've seen shared all around the internet made me want to make one. That was super fun, but very tough to put together. I had like 20 runner ups lol.

53221443385_d6b03ab581_w.jpg

Can't seem to make it full size for whatever reason so I'll just spoiler tag the list. Kind of works out since I clumped a few games together anyway.

1 Super Mario 64
2 Super Metroid
3 Final Fantasy VI
4 Chrono Trigger
5 Trails in the Sky + SC
6 Magia Record
7 Super Mario Galaxy 2
8 Shadow of the Colossus
9 StarCraft + II
10 Kingdom Hearts 2
11 Metroid Prime
12 Odin Sphere
13 Super Smash Bros Ultimate
14 BlazBlue
15 The World Ends With You
16 Super Mario RPG
17 Xenoblade 3
18 Xenoblade
19 Kirby Super Star
20 Link To The Past
21 Neo The World Ends With You
22 Breath of the Wild
23 Uncharted 2 + 3
24 Rock Band + Guitar Hero
25 Perfect Dark
26 Trails Into Reverie
27 Cave Story
28 Mario Kart 8
29 Halo 3
30 Fortune Street

Last edited:
All of the topster charts I've seen shared all around the internet made me want to make one. That was super fun, but very tough to put together. I had like 20 runner ups lol.

Can't seem to make it full size for whatever reason so I'll just spoiler tag the list. Kind of works out since I clumped a few games together anyway.

1 Super Mario 64
2 Super Metroid
3 Final Fantasy VI
4 Chrono Trigger
5 Trails in the Sky + SC
6 Magia Record
7 Super Mario Galaxy 2
8 Shadow of the Colossus
9 StarCraft + II
10 Kingdom Hearts 2
11 Metroid Prime
12 Odin Sphere
14 BlazBlue
16 Super Mario RPG
17 Xenoblade 3
18 Xenoblade
19 Kirby Super Star
20 Link To The Past
22 Breath of the Wild
23 Uncharted 2
25 Perfect Dark
26 Trails Into Reverie
27 Cave Story
28 Mario Kart 8
29 Halo 3
30 Fortune Street
This is a good list.

Also reminds me of how badly I want Trails in the Sky to come to the god damn switch

Why isn’t Trails in the Sky on Switch anyway? Isn’t it supposed to be the entry point?
Yeah Trails in the Sky is Trails 1. Falcom is like 50 people so they just don’t have a ton of bandwith to do ports. There will also be a problem if they don’t do it themselves as NISA wouldn’t want to touch them as it won’t make business sense and a further problem is XSeed has the English scripts and had a messy falling out with Falcom.

Highly recommend playing Sky regardless if you have a PC (anything even like 10-15 years old could run it) or a PSP/Vita. It’s the series that to me at least carries on the spirit of the classics I loved growing up like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger even if it is very much its own cool thing altogether.

Okay, I’ll do the thing! I can almost guarantee I forgot several but here’s my list for now:

Z4k9nrA.png
Awesome list Sammy :)

Highly recommend playing Sky regardless if you have a PC (anything even like 10-15 years old could run it) or a PSP/Vita
I used to have it on my old PSP, but I never got around to finishing it.

And wow right off the bat, Nocturne already looks more visually impressive than the original Castlevania

Yeah Trails in the Sky is Trails 1. Falcom is like 50 people so they just don’t have a ton of bandwith to do ports. There will also be a problem if they don’t do it themselves as NISA wouldn’t want to touch them as it won’t make business sense and a further problem is XSeed has the English scripts and had a messy falling out with Falcom.

Highly recommend playing Sky regardless if you have a PC (anything even like 10-15 years old could run it) or a PSP/Vita. It’s the series that to me at least carries on the spirit of the classics I loved growing up like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger even if it is very much its own cool thing altogether.

Awesome list Sammy :)
Yours is also very good! Several on there I still need to play, like Odin Sphere.

Here's mine, tried to add some variety by not repeating a lot of games of the same franchise (otherwise it would be a DQ / Atelier / Musou list lol)

8wac5EK.png

1 Super Mario 64
2 Super Metroid
3 Final Fantasy VI
4 Chrono Trigger
5 Trails in the Sky + SC
6 Magia Record
7 Super Mario Galaxy 2
8 Shadow of the Colossus
9 StarCraft + II
10 Kingdom Hearts 2
11 Metroid Prime
12 Odin Sphere
14 BlazBlue
16 Super Mario RPG
17 Xenoblade 3
18 Xenoblade
19 Kirby Super Star
20 Link To The Past
22 Breath of the Wild
23 Uncharted 2 + 3
25 Perfect Dark
26 Trails Into Reverie
27 Cave Story
28 Mario Kart 8
29 Halo 3
30 Fortune Street
I did not realize how much you hated Zelda until this very moment! The highest one ... 9 places below the second Midtroid. 😭

/s

Also that's funny to see Xenoblade 1 and 3 battle it out. I haven't played 3 yet, but if it's as good as 1, I'm in for a treat. And probably some good music, too.

Game execs watching the industry's financials and deciding whether they should pour in a gazillion of dollars to create the next forever game:

E_G7JtOUUAAPThh.jpg
Is it actually about finances "not working" though or is it more about keeping up profit margins

Apparently Epics financials were actually bad, I haven't seen any info on them yet, but I imagine that has more to do with their stupid store eating up all money rather than the finances of Fortnite itself

I did not realize how much you hated Zelda until this very moment! The highest one ... 9 places below the second Midtroid. 😭

/s

Also that's funny to see Xenoblade 1 and 3 battle it out. I haven't played 3 yet, but if it's as good as 1, I'm in for a treat. And probably some good music, too.
Haha! I used to be equally high on Zelda though the last decade or so of having less new games kind of has me connecting with it less. Also I’ve been finding I value meeting / hanging out with characters a lot more in games and that’s less of Zelda’s strengths compared to other games.

Yeah I went back and forth on Xenoblade 3 and 1 a good while haha. Both really amazing games and I think base Xenoblade 3 is enough to edge it out, but Future Redeemed really sealed the deal.

Too many lists. I'm starting to miss the avatar bets.

Why isn’t Trails in the Sky on Switch anyway? Isn’t it supposed to be the entry point?

Could be wrong, but isn't there also some licensing shenanigans with the former dev that localized these games?

Very happy to see how often Super Metroid and Sakaguchi-era FFs are showing up on these lists.

And oops, guess who just accidentally spent the whole evening watching a camcorder recording of the Sonic Symphony from London?

yFYgANa.jpg

The NOA upload for Peach Showtime has now surpassed that of the TTYD trailer.

Can't say I saw that coming a couple of weeks ago!

The NOA upload for Peach Showtime has now surpassed that of the TTYD trailer.

Can't say I saw that coming a couple of weeks ago!

I bet one third of them are from my younger daughter.

She's so freaking hyped for this game.

Indie puzzler Cocoon, from a new studio formed by some of the brains behind Inside and Limbo, getting rave reviews.

Hoping I'll fit in some more indies before the end of the year, so that one's going on the list.

Is it actually about finances "not working" though or is it more about keeping up profit margins

Apparently Epics financials were actually bad, I haven't seen any info on them yet, but I imagine that has more to do with their stupid store eating up all money rather than the finances of Fortnite itself
Yeah. Once you get a GaaS off the ground and manage to run it sustainably it seems to be a pretty sweet deal. Getting there on the other hand... we've seen quite a few fail in the last few months.

I'm not sure where Alan Wake falls on that scale but if there's ever a time of year to play a game heavily inspired by Stephen King novels it's now
Parasite Eve might count depending on how much you can handle body horror in the cutscenes.

Otherwise, if you like board games stuff like Eldritch Horror or the Arkham Horror Card Game can be a bit of fun
Thanks you two! Those are great recommendations, hadn't thought of them. I even got Alan Wake Remastered on PS Plus I believe...

Managed to just watch the first two episodes of Castlevania Nocturne yesterday, but man that was absolutely fantastic already.

If the quality doesn't dip in the other episodes, i can safely say this is another hit raising the quality of game adaptions.

First One Piece, now this ... two big Netflix wins.

Now we’re talking. Gundam, Gurenn Lagann, Rahxephon, Ideon, Macross, and freaking Megazone 23? Hell yeah!
Yeah I accidentally put in megazone 23 part III, should be part 1!!

Also it would have gotten even more mech heavy if I had another row. Layzner, Votoms, L.Gaim...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom