• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion | ST24 September 2023 | Barely Able Will Star as the Main Poster in a Brand New ST (temp.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As promised, here's what I've seen reports of in the last week or so:

(I think this is the same layoff, just reported much closer to when it occurred)

Same day we got reports of layoffs at Crystal Dynamics:

And Gearbox may be up for sale too:

EDIT: But wait! There's more:

but wait there's even more

You know, I wanna join in on the Topsters fun. Games in no particular order. And I'm sure I forgot something I enjoyed a lot, but I don't have my Switch or Deck with me right now, so...
Tried to only pick one game from any given series / franchise.
chartule6i.png

Edit: See, Deus Ex just came to my mind. Would probably replace one of the above, though not entirely sure which.

Last edited:
I also did this a week ago
F7HkSnQWEAAAWek

I just always come to the realization that this kind of favorite lists always remain static to me; I barely add any modern games, because they rarely resonate with me.

I got to 23 of my top 25 but have had to take a break while I consider recency bias. That being said, my main criteria of choosing my top 25 is: would I love to play this game today? That's true of some older games I loved, but not all. Plus, I'm following rules on franchises (1 per franchise, unless it has a 2D and 3D series).

okay, keeping it to one game per series (and considering 2D and 3D versions of the same franchise as being separate "series"), here it be:

6QuxQ26.png
i think I missed it — what are people using to make these grids?

Think this is the vibe right now (pretty much just took the list from my signature and made some adjustments based on my mood atm lol)

jfKiR61.png

when I see a topsters grid with yakuza 0, I am happy

when I see a topsters grid without yakuza 0, I know I am looking at the grid of someone who hasn’t played it

or did and didn’t like it, which I suppose is fair

It's my 40th birthday today, so I'm going to be self-indulgent for a minute and channel my inner Mary Schmich.

So here's some random thoughts and advice based on my own meandering experience of 35 or 36* years of bullshit in this hobby:
  • Games are for everyone
  • If you haven't found a game you like, keep looking, it's out there.
  • Games are art but most games are pop, commercial, or kitsch art. That whole debate is/was stupid anyways.
  • Specs are borderline meaningless like 90% of the time
  • Good art direction will beat raw pixel pushing every single time
  • Games are best when they're small and focused
  • The vast majority of "news" in gaming doesn't matter the following week
  • I'm not a "gamer", I'm "someone who enjoys playing games". No one says they're a "booker" or "movier".
  • Nintendo makes some weird decisions sometimes but I think they're on the right track most of the time
  • Nintendo is basically on their own "generation" timeline ever since the Wii
  • Microsoft is a software service company that happens to have a games division
  • Sony is an entertainment production and consumer electronics company that happens to have a games division
  • Nintendo is a toy company that just wants to keep families entertained
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Don't be online so much that you lose touch with reality
  • Learn to simply let people enjoy what they like
  • Embrace impermanence. Not every series can last 40 years or stay the same. New directions don't invalidate the things that happened previously.
  • A good "old" game will still be good years and decades later
  • There's not enough time to enjoy every game that comes out.
  • There's not enough time to waste it arguing with people who are only there to rob you of your most valuable asset.
  • Games are for everyone
  • Find what you like and stick with it
  • Explore new genres or developers on occasion
  • Retry things you didn't like to see if your tastes or approach has changed
  • Cultivate a "bullshit detector", it will help prevent disappointment when a game is overhyped
  • Japanese retail sales are something to keep an eye on, not because it presents Nintendo in a very rosy light, but because it often dictates where a significant part of the industry is heading
  • Know your gaming history and understand that a lot of tech is cyclical, stuff falls in and out of favor regularly
  • Games should be covered in the Arts & Entertainment sections of newspapers/magazines not the Technology section
  • Gaming hardware should be covered in the Technology section
  • Despite what their PR teams on social media want you to think, corporations are not your friend
  • Don't be insecure about your interests
  • Find at least one thing that gets you away from the screen and moving around, you'll be happy you did so
  • Games are for everyone
Trust me on the sunscreen

* I've not been able to definitively determine if it was '87 or '88 when I was gifted an NES

Last edited:
It's my 40th birthday today, so I'm going to be self-indulgent for a minute and channel my inner Mary Schmich.

So here's some random thoughts and advice based on my own meandering experience of 35 or 36* years of bullshit in this hobby:
  • Games are for everyone
  • Games are art but most games are pop, commercial, or kitsch art. That whole debate is/was stupid anyways.
  • I'm not a "gamer", I'm "someone who enjoys playing games". No one says they're a "booker" or "movier".
  • Nintendo makes some weird decisions sometimes but I think they're on the right track most of the time
  • Sony is an entertainment production and consumer electronics company that happens to have a games division
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Embrace impermanence. Not every series can last 40 years or stay the same. New directions don't invalidate the things that happened previously.
  • There's not enough time to waste it arguing with people who are only there to rob you of your most valuable asset.
  • Games are for everyone
  • Cultivate a "bullshit detector", it will help prevent disappointment when a game is overhyped
  • Japanese retail sales are something to keep an eye on, not because it presents Nintendo in a very rosy light, but because it often dictates where a significant part of the industry is heading
  • Know your gaming history and understand that a lot of tech is cyclical, stuff falls in and out of favor regularly
  • Games should be covered in the Arts & Entertainment sections of newspapers/magazines not the Technology section
  • Gaming hardware should be covered
  • Despite what their PR teams on social media want you to think, corporations are not your friend
  • Find at least one thing that gets you away from the screen and moving around, you'll be happy you did so
  • Games are for everyone

* I've not been able to definitively determine if it was '87 or '88 when I was gifted an NES

sot4v.jpg

I will join you in Club 40 next year.

• Games are for everyone
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Games are for everyone
  • Gaming hardware should be covered
  • Games are for everyone

Some solid life advice here! Happy birthday @shoptroll and all the best!

• Games are for everyone
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Games are for everyone
  • Games are for everyone

Love this. Happy birthday!

• Games are for everyone
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Games are for everyone
  • Games are for everyone

Sir, Happy Birthday!

chart.png

Went with the rule of one game per franchise. Otherwise it would be loaded with Zelda and Final Fantasy. (Truth is, both Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, XII and XIII are in my top 25)

chart.png

Went with the rule of one game per franchise. Otherwise it would be loaded with Zelda and Final Fantasy. (Truth is, both Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, XII and XIII are in my top 25)
This is a good idea. Will try to use this thought process when making one later (though might go with the good ole’ 2D/3D being their own thing so I can sneak a couple games on there).

Following the one per franchise rule (with spinoffs as their own thing), I spent a lot of time getting this wrong, please enjoy:

chart.png

(more people need to play We Were Here, thank you)

Please excuse me while I gush endlessly over Twinings Chai Apple Spice black tea. This has easily become my favorite. Holy smokes.
Oh, noted

(Truth is, both Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, XII and XIII are in my top 25)
both Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, XII and XIII
both [5 items]
🤔

Following the one per franchise rule (with spinoffs as their own thing), I spent a lot of time getting this wrong, please enjoy:

chart.png

(more people need to play We Were Here, thank you)
sheeeeesh got that Smash Ultimate, Kirby Air Ride, Uprising, Gen5, Nintendo Land, Minecraft, Sunshine and many more bangers goddaaaaamn

Finally finished up all my planned post-game content. Anyone who beats the game will be massively, massively overpowered and I'm not sure what else I can throw at them by then but by golly I bet I'll think of something!

Still hoping to release next month, a bit less thrilled about trying for the Epic store's temporary exclusivity program but I can't think of anything else at the moment that can help boost my game's visibility.

It's time for my Topsters list!

Games-to-Get-to-Know-Me.png

This was a tough list, but I came out of it with somewhat of an order. It's rather loose as an order, with only the top 3 really feeling solid. Note that Picross S really encompasses all of Picross, not just that specific entry. I tried going for overall game quality, personal connection, and overall preferences. Even then, this list doesn't encompass everything I feel. You could probably put Sonic 3K somewhere in there, maybe even swapping out with Mania. I love lots of Pokemon generations, and FireRed and White versions barely missed the cut. I want to go back and finish/re-evaluate lots of games from my childhood, like the Spyro games and the Ape Escape games and the Ratchet games. Heck, Mario 3 may be too low and I expect Mario Wonder to make its way into here unless it's like...really disappointing. But I think this is good enough list for now.

...what? Not enough Mario from Famiboards' Self Proclaimed #1 Super Mario Fan™? Well, you asked for it.

Mario-to-Get-to-Know-Me.png

Guess the theme of each row and you get a big thumbs up from me!

Okay but.. wow, actually that's not exactly what I was expecting from your list 😅
I swear, I like more stuff than just Mario! I did show some restraint on my general list. I almost had Galaxy 2, but I wanted to have at least one Mega Man game since I really like those games (I'm more of a Classic fan overall but X1 is just that good). Still, seven Mario specific titles, ten titles in general featuring Mario. Those are some solid numbers!

chart-1.png

Kinda tough. While there's a degree of recency bias, I chose games on the basis of what I'd play today, given the choice, and so more recent games won out over older ones I enjoyed. In one case, Animal Crossing, that actually meant an older game won out purely because the original was so different to what the series is now and, while I loved New Horizons, I wouldn't start the game over again. I absolutely would with the original. I largely stuck to one game per series, with Zelda the exception. This top 25 is a real testament to how much Switch has restored my love of gaming.

One exception to that rule was Civ IV. I'd play Civ VI today if I wanted to start a new campaign, but as the culmination of the original series gameplay, I have immensely fond memories of Civ IV and it's one of my most played games. Civ II nearly snuck into this list instead, because I knew the series had to be present on my list and because II is how I fell in love with the series and the World War 2 scenario virtually functions as its own game. Hell, I'm tempted to reinstall it now and start that one over for the umpteenth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom