• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ZwpeiRDl.jpg

New date for Advance wars via Canadian eshop

Well, that's more than some weeks for fine tuning. I'm hoping they work on the art style. The first videos didn't connect with me, the pixel art version had far more charme.

Last edited:
Hmmm. But what about the Fami that chewed out other Fami for not respecting their criticisms of a game that isn’t even officially out yet?

(EDIT: To be clear, I’m not trying to be a dink. I just remember that some people here offered that people should wait and see how the games play out before jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. They were charged with being shills who were going on defense for the evil TPC and Nintendo instead of respecting the criticisms of people who obviously know better.

I’m not saying there aren’t going to be valid criticisms of the remakes in the end. I’m sure the Pokémon community will probably hate them. It’d just be nice if the games were given a chance before the outrage starts.)
Gonna be honest, not sure what a dink is but it does come off a bit rude to dismiss criticisms that were formed based on footage of the retail version of the game and datamines that directly lay out exactly what is in the game just because they did include some challenging post-game content. It kind of feels like it ignores what most of the criticisms are about and says "Well, you got this, so the other criticisms aren't valid!"

I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it does kind of read like that to me.

Hmmm. But what about the Fami that chewed out other Fami for not respecting their criticisms of a game that isn’t even officially out yet?

(EDIT: To be clear, I’m not trying to be a dink. I just remember that some people here offered that people should wait and see how the games play out before jumping to conclusions based on incomplete information. They were charged with being shills who were going on defense for the evil TPC and Nintendo instead of respecting the criticisms of people who obviously know better.

I’m not saying there aren’t going to be valid criticisms of the remakes in the end. I’m sure the Pokémon community will probably hate them. It’d just be nice if the games were given a chance before the outrage starts.)

Without going into specifics because of spoilers, the issues in the main game up to the E4 remain. The post-game stuff is looking good but it's obviously still missing the Battle Frontier. We should avoid knee-jerk reactions but the recent leaks haven't shown anything that rebuts the criticism to the first leaks. It's still mainly based on Diamond and Pearl and still has forced Exp share.

My wife ordered the Double Pack for my 30th later this month and I'm so stoked. I'm sure there'll be flaws but I'm very excited to visit Sinnoh!

Dread is huge - a lot bigger than I expected. I think they've found a nice mixture of classic Metroid, with a touch of Fusion. There's sporadic guidance, but it's rather general and you're not necessarily directed in a strong away.

I have a few gripes, but generally, I'm very impressed and am enjoying it a lot.

As someone who has always appreciated the series and enjoyed it, but wouldn't call themselves a huge fan of the universe, I feel - so far - Samus has been handled better here than anywhere else. She comes across as smart, competent and importantly, charismatic. The way she acts in certain scenes... she just feels really magnetic.

I love when you meet the friendly Chozo and he reveals why you've been lured to the planet. The camera gradually pulls in close on Samus, before the main theme kicks in and she tells them she's going to end it. I thought wow, this is just a cool moment. Her speaking the language of the Chozo just made it in even better. Outside of Other M, I'm not sure if we've heard her speak before, but it felt like a great time to pull it out of the bag.

I've just defeated the mini boss for the lock-on missiles and as a fan of Fusion, it was so cool to see the boss morph into one of the X pods. The handling of the X so far has been great in general. I love how they've been introduced and are now starting to overrun the planet.

Yeah Dread is just an excellent game.

First Metroid that I seriously played and finished.

Had to do another run right after. The pace of the game is just exceptionnal. You can feel that it has been polished to death.

Man, cancelling my SMT5 CE did kinda hurt, but honestly, this physical stuff just isn't for me anymore. I regret getting the Dread CE just a bit by now.

It really bums me out to see fucking assholes everywhere already playing SMT V and BDSP with their "totally legit" early copies.
I dont care too much about bdsp because it will sell gangbusters, but you should support and buy something niche like smtv and support even if you are going to emulate it. I want these niche rpg series to succeed

It really bums me out to see fucking assholes everywhere already playing SMT V and BDSP with their "totally legit" early copies.
BDSP I get, but a lot of people received SMT V early in a legit way. Friends got their pre-order as early as monday (I think some resellers in France sent them early because Thursday is a bank holiday).

Probably. I'm betting the schedule is something like:
  • Pokemon Legends Arceus (January)
  • Triangle Strategy (early March)
  • Resident Evil Outrage/Revelations 3 (late March/April)
  • Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp (early April)
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land (May)
  • Splatoon 3 (June)
Resident Evil Outrage wouldn't be a late March release since Capcom has said no new major game releases for the rest of their FY which ends March 2022. April could be possible though.

Gonna be honest, not sure what a dink is but it does come off a bit rude to dismiss criticisms that were formed based on footage of the retail version of the game and datamines that directly lay out exactly what is in the game just because they did include some challenging post-game content. It kind of feels like it ignores what most of the criticisms are about and says "Well, you got this, so the other criticisms aren't valid!"

I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but it does kind of read like that to me.

Without going into specifics because of spoilers, the issues in the main game up to the E4 remain. The post-game stuff is looking good but it's obviously still missing the Battle Frontier. We should avoid knee-jerk reactions but the recent leaks haven't shown anything that rebuts the criticism to the first leaks. It's still mainly based on Diamond and Pearl and still has forced Exp share.
Fair points. I just find it a little disingenuous that message after message argued that EXP Share ruined the game because no other changes were made, but it turns out changes were made to up the difficulty in later parts of the game. So my point was, maybe both “sides” should chill out and stop acting like the other is discussing in bad faith until legal versions are out in the wild. Did people already forget about all the fake and exaggerated NSO+ bugs that ended up overshadowing a lot of the legitimate criticisms?

(Also Estew, a “dink” is a wiener. 😅)

I’ll be honest, I have no ponyta in the race. I’ll likely skip the remakes because the Pokémon formula gets stale for me if I play too many entries (I am looking forward to Legends, though.)

I’ll also admit that I probably have some silly “bias” (for lack of a better word) against the quick-takes from my brothers, sisters, and friends from the Pokémon community. I got Pokémon Sword for a Christmas gift the year it came out and on the inside I felt disappointed (and later like an ungrateful PoS) because I was led to believe the games were the worst thing that could happen to the franchise. Then I played it, enjoyed it, and realized that a lot of the negativity was so far exaggerated (or even flat out lies.) The game wasn’t without its flaws, but at that point, the train for an honest, reality-based discussion about the merits and missteps of Sw/Sh had left the station. Now I just assume that everyone is going to hate everything shown pre-release and dogpile on entries the minute illegal copies get made available online and info starts trickling out.

Again, I’m not dismissing any criticism of the game. I even fully admitted that they would probably have issues and the community wouldn’t like them. It would just be nice for people to actually have a full picture of the games first, because like the last 24 hours show, we don’t yet know what we don’t know.

Sup yall, I woke up randomly at 3am and have been having the damnedest time getting back to sleep so I thought I'd pop in here and remind everyone that Chrono Trigger is absolute gaming perfection.
it is also anime

Sup yall, I woke up randomly at 3am and have been having the damnedest time getting back to sleep so I thought I'd pop in here and remind everyone that Chrono Trigger is absolute gaming perfection.
it is also anime

Also reminding us that this isn't on the Switch and that there isn't any easy way for folks to get to it.

Almost done with Dread. Have to say I enjoyed Hollow Knight significantly more. Metroid is good but just doesn't keep my attention the way HK does

@Raccoon I keep typing and then deleting responses to a lot of the things you’ve said today, so I’m gonna try again:

I’m sorry you’re having a tough time with everything and that Nvidiendo Doink speculation is making you feel cheated out of both community and enjoyment of your Switch

but it’s not dead, and most of us are still very excited about games that have happened, are happening, and will happen — and want to be part of that with you!

but I get how it can all fold in on itself with everything else. so I’m wishing you all the comfort and contentment that I, a chaotic abyss creature, can wish you

5b4645d077c1b.image.jpg

nothing is lost to the future, we are now and we are here. every ending summer begins something new. the stream goes wetways ever onways, the screaming yeehaw drowned in reverb ‘til it soothes the soul. words are a thousand dollars per picture, like tears in the rain. what is love? baby don’t stop beleaguered, hold on to that seabird!

what I’m trying to say is… don’t let the fresh be what’s eating you.

~ it is not so serious ~

love from the abyss
I think I was half asleep when I read this

part of why it's made me so upset is that I really do hate waiting and uncertainty. and I'm now entering a massive transitional period in my life with a lot of real world uncertainty, all the while the switch pro that bloomberg et al swore was coming this year is back to being "just around the corner." I'm just tired of the uncertainty

I thought all of them literally worked like this? like it would be literally more work for no reason to code it any other way
Has there ever been any evidence any past games work like this? I must have missed it.
I don't get your surprise, it was always clear that these are practically the same game.
Yes, of course it was always clear they were practically the same game. No, it was not clear they were being shipped with the exact same code with zero differences in either game.

It was not clear they were being shipped with the exact same code with zero differences in either game.
I wonder how much would they would save in space if they stripped stuff on build? Assuming there's nothing missing from Pearl that is. There's lots of shared content, maybe just some texts and stuff like title screen and icons change?

I think I was half asleep when I read this

part of why it's made me so upset is that I really do hate waiting and uncertainty. and I'm now entering a massive transitional period in my life with a lot of real world uncertainty, all the while the switch pro that bloomberg et al swore was coming this year is back to being "just around the corner." I'm just tired of the uncertainty
yeah, I totally get that. It’s hard shit.

i don’t know if it helps, but the high-anxiety transitional periods in my life so far have been the ones I wish I had been more present for

like you’re putting in the work to get there, but don’t get so lost in pushing forward to the future that you miss what’s right now. all the heavy stuff, the big changes — those will work out, even if it’s not the path you expected, even if it seems hard, even when you can’t do anything but worry about the future.

you’re still alive right now, and I feel like — at least in my life — very few people are able to impart how important just being present and now and less caught up in what may or may not be is

future uncertainty is also absolutely being so thrashed by COVID right now. my partner and I had to completely bail on our wedding plans and come up with something entirely different, years later, etc. I hoped I’d get a new and interesting job in the city, not take on my old one remotely to survive the plague.

but we’re here now

and I cannot emphasize that enough

like I’m not saying that as affirmations shit and I know stating the obvious doesn’t always temper the anxiety

but literally all you can do is be here today, and all life is… is all those todays in a neat little row

you don’t have to be certain about the future, just choosing to do something you enjoy each day, or making an arbitrary decision to see where it goes — that’s the shit that organically grows the future.

I’m not great at pep talks and I am also Mentally Ill™ and I know if our roles were reversed, I probably wouldn’t really listen to me. But I hope some part of this sticks with you and cooks on the slow burner, until it just becomes part of you.

Honestly I'm shocked that GameFreak never thought to change a line of code to pallette swap the two versions before ILCa came along.

The very definition of working smarter, not harder, and people will still give grief. Like, isn't this the kind of work ethic we should be celebrating? Wasn't it uncovered in SM that GF had used a dozen models per character for each town you interact with them rather than having the game call up just one single model which caused the file size to balloon unnecessarily?

I just recall someone compared the programming to be similar like taking out a recipe book, reading a step, putting it back on the shelf, doing that step in the kitchen, and then repeating by pulling the book back out, reading the next step, closing and putting the book back on the shelf and doing the next step ad nauseum.

Nintendo’s next hardware, despite all rumors and evidence and chatter, literally isn’t a released product until it’s a released product. Even if we think we have all the clues, none of us — none of us! — know exactly how it’s gonna pan out whenever it pans out. That’s not our problem right now. They will release it, and then we’ll have enough information about it to figure out the rest. Until then it’s all just air.

Which isn’t to say speculation isn’t sometimes fun! And also isn’t to say that we don’t have a lot of backed-up evidence of things that are happening behind the scenes.

but it doesn’t really warrant the kind of gravity, stress, and judgment I feel like we’re getting wrapped up in

That moment when, after the game tortures you for hours with deep water, you get the gravity suit...

I had a hunch it was behind that bloody door for hours - even tracked back for it one time to no avail - but now the old H2O will bend to my will!

@Raccoon now I’m saying all of this semi-zen bullshit like I didn’t fucking cheat at reality

I got diagnosed with a nigh-inoperable big ol’ brain cyst as a kid, smack dab between several lobes I’d rather keep intact, that could burst and kill me at any moment

so I had a forced primer course on “today is all that’s happening” and “any future you plan for is already dust” while my capacity for being was still extra malleable

that doesn’t mean there weren’t a lot of times I forgot the lesson, and a lot of times I was faced with shit that made me re-learn it

but I don’t want you to feel bad about that future anxiety — it’s a normal thing to have, even if it’s amped up (for good fucking reasons!) It’s ultimately a survival mechanism! I just think that partially submitting to the abyss will increase your enjoyment of time.

but again — I fuckin’ cheated and also I’m as ancient as three-decade-old dirt. My filthy filthy unsolicited advice isn’t from some imagined ascended seat, it is of the flawed earth and a hopeful, tortured heart.

Honestly I'm shocked that GameFreak never thought to change a line of code to pallette swap the two versions before ILCa came along.
I think they probably also shared the same code base, but were just differentiated by some flag on build time so some data from the other version would be missing

@Raccoon now I’m saying all of this semi-zen bullshit like I didn’t fucking cheat at reality

I got diagnosed with a nigh-inoperable big ol’ brain cyst as a kid, smack dab between several lobes I’d rather keep intact, that could burst and kill me at any moment

so I had a forced primer course on “today is all that’s happening” and “any future you plan for is already dust” while my capacity for being was still extra malleable

that doesn’t mean there weren’t a lot of times I forgot the lesson, and a lot of times I was faced with shit that made me re-learn it

but I don’t want you to feel bad about that future anxiety — it’s a normal thing to have, even if it’s amped up (for good fucking reasons!) It’s ultimately a survival mechanism! I just think that partially submitting to the abyss will increase your enjoyment of time.

but again — I fuckin’ cheated and also I’m as ancient as three-decade-old dirt. My filthy filthy unsolicited advice isn’t from some imagined ascended seat, it is of the flawed earth and a hopeful, tortured heart.
wow, I appreciate this

I guess I'll try to move on a bit

Well, that's more than some weeks for fine tuning. I'm hoping they work on the art style. The first videos didn't connect with me, the pixel art version had far more charme.

They don't finish games and ship right out that very moment. April was probably an open slot in the release schedule. The game could very well be done in January or February and Nintendo will just sit on the game until April.

wow, I appreciate this

I guess I'll try to move on a bit
you don’t have to try too hard! don’t fall for the trap of forcing it and then being mad at yourself that it’s not working

my approach in a similar situation was to just take extra notice of when I was dwelling on it, and let’s say maybe two of the many times I would throughout the day, I would try to redirect and do something that required me to be present in the moment. As simple as deciding to walk around the block, or go to seven eleven, or trying something a little weird just for fun.

I also started trying to indulge in myself at least once a day by doing something that seemed more “just for me” and required at least half an hour of present attention — whether that was walking in the woods, visiting a friend, playing a game, or just listening to an album the whole way through. or uh literally this one time I bought a basketball like some sort of fucking maniac and just fucking went outside and bounced the fucker

also started smoking a couple different times to force meditative moments but if you don’t smoke, don’t start, it’s expensive and not worth it

and like I didn’t do it consistently, especially at the start, but I tried not to beat myself up about it, no matter how long I’d go without doing it… each day was just a chance to try it again. (though I definitely beat myself up about it several times and gave up for various stretches)

and the more I did it, the more it became ingrained, and the more it was part of me and my rhythms, and then eventually I stopped noticing altogether because it was just there

Not really. This is rather interesting development over what was initially thought to be honest.

My "more of the same" was a referring to the discourse around it. People have been having the same opinions on Pokémon's direction since ORAS, nothing changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom