• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And there’s the claws down in Grandia 2 as the adventure continues
Any thoughts about when the next batch of N64 games will get pushed out? I wonder if the backlash that they've faced for the initial wave has changed their plans at all. I could see them maybe putting out a few games sooner, to try and please fans, or if they're worried about things not looking/playing right maybe that forces them to wait a little bit.

I do think that expectations for the release schedule should be a little bit higher because of the price. If they went from $20 to $50 then I'd hope we aren't still stuck with releases just every 2-3 months like we've been getting with NES/SNES.

Makes you wonder how many N64 games they add at a time, too. Maybe...2? 3?

It's crazy that those games were announced, but I wouldn't be too shocked if you can play Majora's Mask on your Switch next month...nor would I be shocked if you can't play it until next summer.
Nah. It’s not a push forward whatever’s planned is planned. I wouldn’t rule it out this month but we’ll get something in December because we always get something in december(fe, May, July, sept and December are the normal update months)

As for how many? 3-4 perhaps? When they show a roadmap they go through it pretty quick. Japan will likely get Custom Robo V1. Genesis could get 4-6 games and nes and Snes May get one or two as well

Any thoughts about when the next batch of N64 games will get pushed out? I wonder if the backlash that they've faced for the initial wave has changed their plans at all. I could see them maybe putting out a few games sooner, to try and please fans, or if they're worried about things not looking/playing right maybe that forces them to wait a little bit.

I do think that expectations for the release schedule should be a little bit higher because of the price. If they went from $20 to $50 then I'd hope we aren't still stuck with releases just every 2-3 months like we've been getting with NES/SNES.

Makes you wonder how many N64 games they add at a time, too. Maybe...2? 3?

It's crazy that those games were announced, but I wouldn't be too shocked if you can play Majora's Mask on your Switch next month...nor would I be shocked if you can't play it until next summer.
There’s no way Nintendo has changed
their plans due to the backlash. None.

As for when the next games will drop, if I had to guess I’d say December. I think this month is too soon after the launch of the Expansion Pack to expect new NSO games.

Regarding the music for BDSP, I haven’t heard anything outside of the trailers, but we know that it isn’t being handled interanally. The GF composers who worked on the original games are on Arceus. Shota Kageyama (who used to work at GF) is the music lead instead. He’s had his hands fully lately with this, Unite, Masters, and some random phone game, but I also beleive he had help this time unlike Let’s Go. He’s usually better at composing new tracks than arranging past ones. Though I remember people calling the SwSh soundtrack bad before release, and I ended up really liking it, so I’ll have to wait.

Oof, most painkillers will definitely do a number on you, for sure. Make sure you take care of yourself too, and not just your villagers!
believe me the fake bipedal beasts can fucking rot

just compared to like… my friends and family and self, and also real people

in terms of hierarchy of care

not to dunk on them but they don’t exist

wow so I’m replaying Metroid Dread and (item spoilers)

I had no idea how early I got the Gravity Suit the first time I played. Like I didn’t have Storm Missiles or Space Jump at all when I got it, I just shinesparked out of the wet pit.

this time I still did the skip but apparently got a lot of things that make the whole sequence easier first

like literally I got the Screw Attack long before the Space Jump last time, which seemed odd to me at the time. and now it makes much more sense lol.

also everyone who’s mad about the multiple instances of double-bird jeopardy — did you have the Storm missiles first? because doing it this way feels sinfully easy in comparison

Yup absolute bs. I hate it when people pirate games that are already niche, to begin with.

Also don't get me started on people posting emulated screens that are likely to have been pirated.
You know what's funny? It apparently doesn't run well on emulator. We need a Yuzu Pro ASAP!

https://www.nintendo.com/holiday/#deals here’s the full list of nintendo deals btw, some new additions to the list of $40s on sale games and ringfit is 25 dollars off .
Tbh I'm surprised they made Zelda BotW 39$. It's the first official discount for it ever isn't it??

Also surprised they didn't give Odyssey a discount nor even mention it in the main page.

Ring Fit for 55$ is a big deal.

I just hope there's any discount for NSW and games here in Brazil. The price of both the console and the games are overly high. I have yet to buy mine. I would much welcome a discount on Ring Fit as people here sell it for about ~200$ second hand.

Tbh I'm surprised they made Zelda BotW 39$. It's the first official discount for it ever isn't it??

Also surprised they didn't give Odyssey a discount nor even mention it in the main page.

Ring Fit for 55$ is a big deal.

I just hope there's any discount for NSW and games here in Brazil. The price of both the console and the games are overly high. I have yet to buy mine. I would much welcome a discount on Ring Fit as people here sell it for about ~200$ second hand.
Considerando que a Nintendo não trabalha com jogos físicos no Brasil, acho que o Ring Fit não tem distribuição oficial aqui, tem?
Como a daqui é vinculada à NoA os descontos da BF na eshop devem ser os mesmos que da loja americana. Do console propriamente dito não sei como vai ficar, mas se for igual lá parece que oficialmente não tem redução do preço recomendado, só o combo com os 3 meses de online e o Mario Kart. Então acho que o que tiver vai ser mais a depender das lojas que vendem que qualquer coisa.

You know what's funny? It apparently doesn't run well on emulator. We need a Yuzu Pro ASAP!

It is funny when you see people talking about emulating Switch games on Steam Deck as if there still isn't tons of games with issues when emulated.

The last chapter of Hunter X Hunter released 1079 days ago
At this point I've accepted that we'll never see the end of Hunter X Hunter and I think it's fine, it's such a huge and fascinating world that goes against so many shonen rules, maybe it's fitting that it'll never get a conclusion (YuYu Hakusho was kinda like that too, highly anticlimatic. Yusuke goes to war in Hell.. We don't see any of it, he comes back 4 years later and finally settle with his girlfriend, the end).

But it still hurts because god damn I love the current arc.
Also love how, once again, it went against all expectations you have being a shonen fan. "Wtf there's a whole unknown world full of mankind-ending species ? And humanity is making the bold and stupid move to fully jump into it ? We're going to explore that crazy world, One Piece style ?" but in reality you get "Actually how about a succession war in North Korea with Kurapika being the protagonist, protecting the youngest child of the royal family"
Fucking genius. Hunter X Hunter is a masterpiece, it's never what you expect it to be, but it still always deliver.

IGN’s Sunshine guide is kinda bad. It’s very vague and difficult to follow.
I use it for the blue coin challenge currently because I know the game almost by heart so it's fine for me, but yeah. Some descriptions of blue coins makes me think "what the fuck is this place they're talking about ?", really badly described even though I know this game really well.

also everyone who’s mad about the multiple instances of double-bird jeopardy — did you have the Storm missiles first? because doing it this way feels sinfully easy in comparison
I'm pretty sure the double bird fight is one of those "you just got this item and now you test it on a boss" instances. I ran into them very shortly after I got the storm missiles and once I got comfortable running while aiming and then letting fly while I was facing away (which feels weird but that's what those missiles are built for), it was cake. It's the only boss fight I don't remember dieing on. I can't imagine doing that fight without the storm missiles.

Last edited:
It’s pretty funny that after switching to the OLED my most played software has gone from Pokémon Shield at 200 hours to Mario Party at like 20. I feel like less of a nerd (probably for only a very short while longer, though).

I'm pretty sure the double bird fight is one of those "you just got this item and now you test it on a boss" instances. I ran into them very shortly after I got the storm missiles and once I got comfortable running while aiming and then letting fly while I was facing away (which feels weird but that's what those missiles are built for), it was cake. It's the only boss fight I don't remember dieing on. I can't imagine doing that fight without the storm missiles.
I did it without the storm missiles, because I for some reason had it in my head that they were only for unlocking doors and not useful for combat (I blame Prime 2's similar upgrade for that). So I just did it with a lot of single missiles, aeon dashing, and charged shots. I died maybe 5-8 times, it was challenging but you can do it if you just keep moving.

If one cares about reviews this past month has given a lot of well reviewed Switch games

Tetris Effect - 95
Dusk - 89
Metroit Dread - 88
Shin Megami Tensei V - 87
Disco Elysium - 85

That's pretty great to see.

Damn, Jump axed Red Hood and the author went full Yoko Taro with the last chapters being meta commentary on the series getting the axe. Lovely ending all things considered.

I'm hyped for their next work.

Wow this means I've 2 days to finish The World Ends With You before SMTV releases.... Challenge accepted

Prepare for another wave of "SMTV LOOKS BEAUTIFUL ON EMULATORS" like it happened with Dread.

Both main switch emulators just released new versions that coincidentally fix quite a few emulation issues that people were getting. It's pretty blatant the developers for both of these emulators also have the XCI for SMTV and are updating their emulators so they can make a big "the game runs on day 1" post on Discord/Patreon like they did with Metroid Dread.

I find it really amusing that we have two working switch emulators in the middle of its life while emulation for non Nintendo consoles never seems to become decent. The only reason ps2 emulation is even considered acceptable nowadays is because the average modern PC is powerful enough to bruteforce most of the performance issues. It's just really funny how a lot more money and effort is always invested into Nintendo emulation vs other consoles. Pure coincidence I bet.

At this point I've accepted that we'll never see the end of Hunter X Hunter and I think it's fine, it's such a huge and fascinating world that goes against so many shonen rules, maybe it's fitting that it'll never get a conclusion (YuYu Hakusho was kinda like that too, highly anticlimatic. Yusuke goes to war in Hell.. We don't see any of it, he comes back 4 years later and finally settle with his girlfriend, the end).

But it still hurts because god damn I love the current arc.
Also love how, once again, it went against all expectations you have being a shonen fan. "Wtf there's a whole unknown world full of mankind-ending species ? And humanity is making the bold and stupid move to fully jump into it ? We're going to explore that crazy world, One Piece style ?" but in reality you get "Actually how about a succession war in North Korea with Kurapika being the protagonist, protecting the youngest child of the royal family"
Fucking genius. Hunter X Hunter is a masterpiece, it's never what you expect it to be, but it still always deliver.
Yeah, i'm not keeping my hopes up at this point.

At least Gon and Killua recieved some sort of closure to their stories after the chimera ant arc so the situation is not as bad as it could have been (and it was a fine closure if i might add, unlike the ending of YuYu) and i'm thankful for it, but it still sucks a bit because the current arc is just soo good and it is a shame it will most likely never reach its conclusion.

Thankfully Jujutsu Kaisen is helping to fill the void, the last few chapters are just pure HxH goodness.

Finished Metroid Fusion last night. That's it: Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Fusion are all done. Ready to pick up Dread and see what the fuss is about.

I find it really amusing that we have two working switch emulators in the middle of its life while emulation for non Nintendo consoles never seems to become decent. The only reason ps2 emulation is even considered acceptable nowadays is because the average modern PC is powerful enough to bruteforce most of the performance issues. It's just really funny how a lot more money and effort is always invested into Nintendo emulation vs other consoles. Pure coincidence I bet.

This actually really annoys me. Xbox emulation is woefully underdeveloped, and even with Microsoft's efforts, there is the risk of classics like Otogi and Outrun 2 being lost to players because of the lack of emulation. I've got a shelf of Xbox games I can't play unless I plug Old Faithful in and hope her disc drive still works.

Oh gods above give me strength

I’m about to attempt the chucksters level

Edit
The fucking brown one at the end is glitched I swear to god

Last edited:
Oh gods above give me strength

I’m about to attempt the chucksters level

Edit
The fucking brown one at the end is glitched I swear to god
The chucksters level is amazing because someone at Nintendo was like "yeah this is something worth putting into the latest entry of our flagship character"

If one cares about reviews this past month has given a lot of well reviewed Switch games

Tetris Effect - 95
Dusk - 89
Metroit Dread - 88
Shin Megami Tensei V - 87
Disco Elysium - 85

That's pretty great to see.

Tetris Effect - 95 Third Party
Dusk - 89
Indie/third party
Metroit Dread - 88
Six hour campaign
Shin Megami Tensei V - 87 Niche Series
Disco Elysium - 85 Third Party

Seriously, why does the Switch have no games????????

The chucksters level is amazing because someone at Nintendo was like "yeah this is something worth putting into the latest entry of our flagship character"
Sunshine is just full of these in general. As a kid I tried so hard to get every shine before I was forced to tap out. To this day the thought of trying to get Yoshi to that island with the warp pipe by jumping on those god damn boats just fills me with existential dread.

Don’t ever play it. Your life will be better for not playing Super Mario Sunshine.

That‘s what I thought since I stopped playing it after 1h on the GameCube. When you go in expecting nothing it‘s a fun game, had a blast with it in the 3D All Star collection and to my surprise Sunshine was the highlight for me in that collection.

Main thing for me is that I ended up getting a CIB copy of Sunshine for 50 cents like 6 or 7 years ago, and I also got a copy of 3D All Stars, but have never really played Sunshine despite that. Good to see that my aversion was justified.

Sunshine is just full of these in general. As a kid I tried so hard to get every shine before I was forced to tap out. To this day the thought of trying to get Yoshi to that island with the warp pipe by jumping on those god damn boats just fills me with existential dread.

After I tried and lost all of my lives I said nope to anymore attempts with that level. Too much leg work just to get to that point.

Just finished reading Sakura's story arc in Tokyo School Life. Really hit me in the feels. It's a decent visual novel developed by M2 and I'd recommend picking it up in an inevitable future sale.

Growing up in a place where it rains maybe two or three times a year and spring/summer is six months of disgustingly hot burning, I would like to say: Sunshine is evil.

Aftee playing all the 3D Marios and I'm surprised on how Sunshi compares to the others. I put it only ahead of 3D Land.

Oh boy Dusk is just a delight. I was afraid I wouldn't find something so soon after Dread that hooked me.

You can't resist Jack Frost! Hee-ho!

Persona-5-Strikers-New-Game-5-Cropped-1.jpg

Aftee playing all the 3D Marios and I'm surprised on how Sunshi compares to the others. I put it only ahead of 3D Land.
3D Land is so much better than Sunshine it ain’t even funny. 3D Land has well-designed levels, fun power-ups, a fantastic postgame, and is just all-around a good time.

Everything I see and hear about Sunshine makes me want to play it less and less.
As much as I've been joining in the Sunshine roast, it's not actually a bad game. There are quite a few parts where you can see brilliance shine through all the baffling design decisions. Fludd is a great addition to Mario's moveset and the Fludd-less stages can be quite a challenge (though I'd argue at least part of that is due to somewhat slippery controls). The verticality of certain stages and how Fludd can be used to access different areas is pretty fun. In general, it's the most diverse and expressive Mario moveset this side of Odyssey.

But it's still not as good as the rest of the 3D Marios (except maybe 64, but that game has the excuse of being the first big 3D effort by Nintendo, or really anyone). There's just a lot of those baffling design decisions. Which is honestly a shame, because without those Sunshine would be a legitimately excellent video game.

I want to play SMT5, but I also want to play Pokemon BDSP, although I've heard so many good things about Guardians of the Galaxy as well.....

Too many games, not enough time in the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom