• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly I haven’t played Prime 2 and 3, and I don’t know who Sylux is. But even granting that he’s a big bad who can challenge Samus, when will Prime 4 take place? The Prime trilogy happens between 1 and 2 I thought. If 4 also takes place before 2 then Dread hasn’t happened yet obviously.
I kinda think Nintendo wants us to stop thinking about the Prime series being inbetween 1 and 2. keeping up with that just muddies the water

I want that Federation splinter group from Fusion to attempt to create their own Samus. fusing some random orphan with alien DNA and force them to fight and kill Samus as testing

I want that Federation splinter group from Fusion to attempt to create their own Samus. fusing some random orphan with alien DNA and force them to fight and kill Samus as testing
Samus has already fought herself and won. Twice. A stronger version of herself, even.

Some Federation pretender ain’t gonna stand a chance

The Sylux thing never made sense to me. I haven't played through Prime Hunters since it came out, but they didn't all die at the end, did they? Why is Sylux the most special hunter of them all?

I kinda think Nintendo wants us to stop thinking about the Prime series being inbetween 1 and 2. keeping up with that just muddies the water
Sorta like how Universal wrote themselves into a corner by having Fast & Furious 4 take place between 2 and 3 so Han could still be alive... then Fast 5 was also before 3, then Fast 6 also.. then they decided they finally had to make good on it and "catch up" to Tokyo Drift narratively and let Han be dead, made a whole movie about catching his killer, only to bring him back from the dead one movie later because the character was too popular.

Much like the Oscars, if something deserving wins at the Game Awards, its just a coincidence.
At least the Oscars tends to give more weight to smaller passion projects and strong performances, rather than what I assume the TGAs does which is to just look at the games that look the most expensive and moved the most units and go "yeah, those are obviously the best games."

I'd love to have an Oscars equivalent award show for games.

At least the Oscars tends to give more weight to smaller passion projects and strong performances, rather than what I assume the TGAs does which is to just look at the games that look the most expensive and moved the most units and go "yeah, those are obviously the best games."
True, the TGAs are significantly more nakedly a sham. The Oscars at least pretend for prestige.

I'd love to have an Oscars equivalent award show for games.
This seems like an overly cynical take for TGA, and an underly cynical take for the Oscars

Remember that year Green Book won Best Picture? Or more generally, how movies like Green Book are considered Oscar bait?

I know underly is not a word that is ever really used but I needed to use it for my point okay

True, the TGAs are significantly more nakedly a sham. The Oscars at least pretend for prestige.
The TGAs are basically the MTV Movie Awards for games. I remember one time I watched the MTV awards just because Dwayne Johnson was hosting but in his opening monologue he kept going on about how their show awards movies that "people actually went to see" and that seemed like such a shit position to take that I tuned out right there (I happen to respect the hell out of independent film and hate the position that they're worthless because they don't sell enough tickets). And that's seriously the vibe I get from the TGAs. Like they have to award the big AAA games with all the things because if some weirdass artsy indies were always winning then people would bail because "lol nobody even plays these games wtf"

Sorry, rant over. 😅

Samus has already fought herself and won. Twice. A stronger version of herself, even.

Some Federation pretender ain’t gonna stand a chance
this is the same mentality of "how can you make a superman game when he's invincible". there's like a billion ways superman got his ass kicked, even. just make one and an enemy. you ain't gotta explain everything

BD2 has the best OST for me simply because even though I haven't played it in like 8 months the mere mention of its music has all of flooding back into my mind instantly.

Too bad it won't even be nominated.

This seems like an overly cynical take for TGA, and an underly cynical take for the Oscars

Remember that year Green Book won Best Picture? Or more generally, how movies like Green Book are considered Oscar bait?

I know underly is not a word that is ever really used but I needed to use it for my point okay
I will admit, I am cynical about TGA. And I am a lot less cynical about the Oscars than a lot of people I know. And by "a lot of people I know" I mean "literally everyone I know." 😅 But the stuff that tends to be celebrated at the Oscars tend to be the types of movies I love, so when people shit all over them and talk about how blockbusters should be getting the awards because that's what people actually watch, it hurts. Most non-blockbusters struggle like hell to get seen as it is, without people hand-waving them away as Oscar bait (not saying you're being hand-wavey, just that I get hand-waved a lot when I try to talk movies with my friends).

And I'm confused about Green Book. I really enjoyed it, but then people were mad at it? And I dunno if I'm supposed to like it anymore. Movie discourse confuses me almost as much as games discourse. 😅

I will admit, I am cynical about TGA. And I am a lot less cynical about the Oscars than a lot of people I know. And by "a lot of people I know" I mean "literally everyone I know." 😅 But the stuff that tends to be celebrated at the Oscars tend to be the types of movies I love, so when people shit all over them and talk about how blockbusters should be getting the awards because that's what people actually watch, it hurts. Most non-blockbusters struggle like hell to get seen as it is, without people hand-waving them away as Oscar bait (not saying you're being hand-wavey, just that I get hand-waved a lot when I try to talk movies with my friends).

And I'm confused about Green Book. I really enjoyed it, but then people were mad at it? And I dunno if I'm supposed to like it anymore. Movie discourse confuses me almost as much as games discourse. 😅
Don't worry, my problem with the Oscars isn't that blockbusters don't win, but I personally tend to really dislike the movies that do win.

BD2 has the best OST for me simply because even though I haven't played it in like 8 months the mere mention of its music has all of flooding back into my mind instantly.

Too bad it won't even be nominated.
I am already prepared for the disappointment when BD2, NEO TWEWY, and SMT V all get snubbed from best OST

Presented without context, here is my favorite Pokémon
ampharos.png

Well, there's an easy way to remedy that: just pull the trigger and have Prime 4 take place in the "post-Fusion" part of the timeline. You've already bloated the gap between Metroid 1 and 2, to the point that some marketing makes it out that the Prime games make the gap between those two titles is a matter of YEARS.

Have Sakamoto and Tanabe's individual crews alternate telling stories, communicating with each other regularly, so that Tanabe and co. can take taking advantage of doing some worldbuilding for in-between main Metroid's "episodes". The main series doesn't really get into that kind of stuff, anyway, so it's all the more ideal to leave those details to the Prime series.

I actually still hope that this can happen. Even with the hinting of Sylux doing..."something" involving a newly hatched Metroid at the end of Federation Force.

Don't worry, my problem with the Oscars isn't that blockbusters don't win, but I personally tend to really dislike the movies that do win.
I have a weird sort of way of looking at a lot of creative stuff... even if I don't like a movie or a game or anything, I still have a lot of respect for the passion that went into it. Even when I gripe about AAA stuff I still have a ton of respect for the artists and production team and everyone involved, I'm just admittedly bitter about how toxic the culture can be. And I definitely don't want my griping to sound like I'm being toxic in the other direction. 😅

So yeah. Sorry yall, I'm actually on my way to a movie right now and I sadly have not played any DQXI today, so film is kinda on my mind instead of vidya games. I will stop derailing now.

Here is a brief summary, but the short version is that it contained a lot of historical falsehoods and seemed designed mostly to make white people feel better about racism.

I think suggesting that people don't like the Oscars just prefer blockbusters is unfair. In most years (they have got better recently) it's not hard to predict at least one movie that will likely get several nominations despite not having particularly good critical reception; Hillbilly Elegy, Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are a few recent examples. The fact that this is so easy to predict is where the term Oscar-bait comes from in the first place (from what I've seen, it's not usually used just to refer to any independent or non-blockbuster film).

On the other hand, this doesn't really happen for TGA. Part of that is because AAA games tend to review at least decently, but if you look at the entire history of TGA's GOTY winners, I would say most are pretty deserving, with the exceptions for me being Overwatch and Dragon Age: Inquisition (and I only say that due to a general lack of interest in multiplayer games and a lack of familiarity with that game, respectively).

Here is a brief summary, but the short version is that it contained a lot of historical falsehoods and seemed designed mostly to make white people feel better about racism.

I think suggesting that people don't like the Oscars just prefer blockbusters is unfair. In most years (they have got better recently) it's not hard to predict at least one movie that will likely get several nominations despite not having particularly good critical reception; Hillbilly Elegy, Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are a few recent examples. The fact that this is so easy to predict is where the term Oscar-bait comes from in the first place (from what I've seen, it's not usually used just to refer to any independent or non-blockbuster film).

On the other hand, this doesn't really happen for TGA. Part of that is because AAA games tend to review at least decently, but if you look at the entire history of TGA's GOTY winners, I would say most are pretty deserving, with the exceptions for me being Overwatch and Dragon Age: Inquisition (and I only say that due to a general lack of interest in multiplayer games and a lack of familiarity with that game, respectively).
Oh dang, wow. That Green Book stuff is unfortunate.. And my thing about blockbusters vs Oscars I'll admit comes from my own experiences and conversations with people, which is a limited pool. When the people I know talk about why Oscars are bad, they're usually talking about how Hollywood is trying to push "woke" agendas and stuff, and things like that are why I tend to get defensive. I'm always happy to hear a better caliber of criticism.

Oh dang, wow. That Green Book stuff is unfortunate.. And my thing about blockbusters vs Oscars I'll admit comes from my own experiences and conversations with people, which is a limited pool. When the people I know talk about why Oscars are bad, they're usually talking about how Hollywood is trying to push "woke" agendas and stuff, and things like that are why I tend to get defensive. I'm always happy to hear a better caliber of criticism.
Oh damn lol, yeah I don't blame you in that case

Unfun fact: Fire Emblem (aka the JRPG/Nintendo music GOAT) has never even been nominated for best soundtrack at the TGA's and its had 3 separate chances! :(

M-maybe next time? :(

Also: I was looking through previous TGA winners via Wikipedia and... how the hell did Call of Duty win "best audio design" over RE2R?? Complete BS smh

I have been to one concert in my entire life. It was not a cool one, but I absolutely loved it. A Mannheim Steamroller group came to my university for a Christmas concert and opened with this:

Those who know me know that I love electronic music, and I think that started in part because of my childhood exposure to Mannheim Steamroller Christmas music. That concert got me into the rest of Fresh Aire, and now I have another lame old man music discography to add to my collection.

Mannheim Steamroller is great! I saw them in concert once a few years ago, and even though it was mostly Christmas it was still quite good. I tend to be a bit of a grinch about Christmas music, but MS is some of the only Christmas music I don't mind. Well, that or stuff like more traditional english carols/more classical stuff is fine, too.

We played a medley arrangement of "Fresh Aire Christmas" in high school band and it was very cool, a really fun piece to play.

A seamless RotS into Eva alley-oop. This really is my favorite website
If you notice, the RotS quote was in reference to Xenoblade conversation and, as we all know, the only way to fight weebiness is with more weebiness.
and nothing's weebier than mid-90s anime memes

Sony Pictures and Rockstar after refusing to market the newest release in their most famous IP

Almost wish it was Dec 17th already so I can see No Way Home. Haven't been this excited for a new movie since....well, the last Spider-Man movie lol

3D world is so good :cry:
Your taste is impeccable, mazi!
We played a medley arrangement of "Fresh Aire Christmas" in high school band and it was very cool, a really fun piece to play.
Same! It’s been a while since I was in high school, but I still ‘sing’ the medley in my head all the time.
Almost wish it was Dec 17th already so I can see No Way Home. Haven't been this excited for a new movie since....well, the last Spider-Man movie lol
Yeah! I’m not quite ready for December yet, but I am definitely looking forward to No Way Home. Hoping to go see a matinee (or other not-crowded showing) of Eternals soon as well.

Playing Disco Elysium now and absolutely loving the game. The script is amazing. It does veer into being too pretentious but if you can kind of just let that facet of it slide, this is legit the best written game I’ve played for a long, long time.

Dragon Age Inquisition(and Shadows of Mordor in the same year) are the quintessential examples of AAA 3rd person action adventure(well RPG) being the default for the awards. Both of those games were pretty good and the pickings were slim on PS4/XBO at that point. However Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros 4 all came out in the same year.

Morning all, first post.

Just wanted to say well done to everyone, you've smashed it and made a great community here. I'm really happy to see so many familiar faces engaging in good-natured conversation.

Don't worry, I'm not here to be a negative nancy - but I missed you lot and wanted to engage in discussion from time to time. I witnessed the exodus on Era and have watched this forum grow so quickly in recent weeks. Great stuff.

Now, direct me to the Xenoblade appreciation thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom