• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in that scene above...

Malos may or may not say he loves jin?

He says something that isn't voiced/subbed. There's a few other times that happens in the game(like Zeke to Pandoria) and the implication on all of them is someone telling someone else they love them.

Well in that scene above...

Malos may or may not say he loves jin?

He says something that isn't voiced/subbed. There's a few other times that happens in the game(like Zeke to Pandoria) and the implication on all of them is someone telling someone else they love them.
You don't tell your bros you love them? Are yall even bros then?

Sometimes it feels like playing Xenoblade 2 is a requisite to posting on these threads.

But I refuse!

You're sure this isn't a recency bias thing?
Tri-Ace/Enix have made some legendary titles that imo MonolithSoft hasn't even begun to match.
Sure, HD hit them hard but at the time of the purchase; Star Ocean 1/2/3(3rd is divisive admittedly) Valkyrie Profile 1/2/Cop and Radiata Stories.
That's just Tri-Ace and Enix together, mind you.
Add in Enix alone and you get Dragon Quest, Actraiser, Illusion of Gaia, etc.

The pedigree of work between them and MonolithSoft is a huge chasm where worms from Dune can fit.

The list above was what I expected from Mono.. animu silliness is what I got.

Can you really call it "recency bias" when the last time tri-Ace put out something as well received as any of the Xenoblade games was literally VP2 on the PS2 15 years ago?

Malos being in love with Jin could work and may be even implied in their last scene, but Jin only ever loved Lora for 500 years and that is pretty much the entire reason he is who is in the game. My man Jin only ever felt like dying but he didn't want to break Lora's dying wish of never forgetting about her.

I love Jin, and I love how the villains of XC2 are the embodiment of pessimistic nihilism.

When ranking XII you should specify original or Zodiac Age version because that game sure got one hell of a facelift

no cap, the characters are the best part about pokemon. there should be a better game that uses them than Pokemon Masters. or just give them better sidequests

its difficult to make a rank of FF or DQ games, I prefer to group then in 3 categories:

Final Fantasy
Amazing: VI, VII, IX, X, XII
Okey: III, IV, V, VIII
Don’t recommend it: I, II, XIII, XV

Dragon Quest
Amazing: III, V, VIII, XI
Okey: IV, VI, VII, IX
Don’t recommend it: I, II

People talk about the XC2 waifus all the time but the real hot ones in the game are actually the husbandos Malos and Jin.

ceesTxz.png
Malos is cool and all but Jin has a fantastic design and is such a great, well-written character <3

its difficult to make a rank of FF or DQ games, I prefer to group then in 3 categories:

Final Fantasy

Dragon Quest
Here's my completely objective and unbiased ranking:

Final Fantasy
Amazing:
Okey:
Don't recommend it: All of them

Dragon Quest
Amazing: III, IV, V, VII, VIII, IX, XI
Okey: I, VI
Don't recommend it: II

the only FF you need to play is VI
the only DQ you need to play is V

I am not taking questions at this time.

Can you really call it "recency bias" when the last time tri-Ace put out something as well received as any of the Xenoblade games was literally VP2 on the PS2 15 years ago?

Fair enough.
But it's very telling to me that anytime you get a greatest jrpg of all time list, Enix/Tri-Ace games show up strongly but Xenoblade only gets a recommendation for this past decade.
The pool has shrunk significantly, but in the heyday of Jrpgs, those two studios were regular titans.
They've yet to match Radiata Stories imo, much less VP and Star Ocean.
Those studios made smaller games with innovative turns in game design. Can the same be said for the Xenoblade series?
I'd rather their next game be a Soma Bringer revival than the stuff we're currently getting.
I give credit for their assistance to other studios at Nintendo but imo they badly need new direction.
Matter of fact, I'm sincerely hoping the pristine and elegant character design of the Zelda team will rub off on them.

Last edited:
They've remade DQ's 1-3 for Switch
4-6 were remade on DS
7+8 were remade on 3DS
10 Online is about to be offline-remade on Switch

where the DQ 9 Switch remake at Square??!?!? With online co-op?!?!

Final Fantasy

Dragon Quest

Reported for thinking DQIV is an okay game. I believe that's against the rules, and if it isn't, it should be!

having finished 1 and 2 recently, what was people's problem with 2? I get that it's a pretty barebones game, but coming off of 1, it was a massive improvement. I quite liked it

I like it too. I think I is more fun because it's such an unique game and it's very short, but II is interesting because of all the improvements, I really like that sense of following the evolution of a classic series and learning about gaming history. I think people dislike it because it's grindy, your team mates die all the time, and the map is too big and the game doesn't always tell you where to go. I go into retro games expecting them to be, you know, retro, so none of that was a dealbreaker for me and I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is amazing and the game has a lot of charm, like every other DQ.

It is the DQ I'd be less likely to revisit without some QoL in a future remake, though. Horii did say he might want to remake I and II to make them more modern when they're done with III, so who knows.

Actually nevermind, don't want to bring negativity here
Say what you're feeling friend.
I dislike the Xenoblade games from the point of character design(less is more people), to gameplay(the obtuse systems are a criminal offense) to saccharine story beats.
That doesn't mean I think MonolithSoft is trash, I just think a guiding hand would help rein in some of the bad habits they've continually displayed.
Surely you can outline your thoughts without being tyrannical.

the only FF you need to play is VI
the only DQ you need to play is V

I am not taking questions at this time.
I take issue with this primarily because you're suggesting I need to play a FF game.
They've remade DQ's 1-3 for Switch
4-6 were remade on DS
7+8 were remade on 3DS
10 Online is about to be offline-remade on Switch

where the DQ 9 Switch remake at Square??!?!? With online co-op?!?!
Yeah 9 should be the next remake remake, after 3's HD-2D remake.

I can't count how many times 3 has been remade now.

For Dragon Quest My rankings probably would be
fully 3d games (8 and 11) > Snes games > ps1(7) > Nes games

I take issue with this primarily because you're suggesting I need to play a FF game.
Maybe I should have said "should play" instead of "need to play." No one needs to play anything except Yakuza 0.

Yeah 9 should be the next remake remake, after 3's HD-2D remake.

I can't count how many times 3 has been remade now.

I think it's safe to say the DQ3 HD2D remake is going to be THE definitive version of the game. I can't imagine they will ever remake it again after that.

It's DQ9's turn!! Let's get that co-op multiplayer going Square Enix come on!!!

Btw my list would be

FF
Amazing: VI, IX, X, XII
Okay: III, IV, VII
Don't recommend: VIII, XIII, XV

DQ
Amazing: III, IV, V, VII, VIII, XI
Okay: I (amazing if you're into retro games), VI
Don't recommend: II (unless you're a DQ fan and have played the others, which you should be and have, so nevermind, I do recommend it)

Haven't played IX yet, and X is currently making me cry every night before bed watching trailers of the Japan only remake.

Maybe I should have said "should play" instead of "need to play." No one needs to play anything except Yakuza 0.

I think it's safe to say the DQ3 HD2D remake is going to be THE definitive version of the game. I can't imagine they will ever remake it again after that.

Never underestimate SE's ability to focus on one game in a series until it's milked completely dry.

I expect several more DQ3 remakes over the next few decades.

I don't think there's anyway DQX Offline doesn't get localized. DQX Online is Japan only because it was made that way back on the Wii or whatever, and MMOs are expensive to localize because you have to set up local servers and payment systems and whatnot. At this point, after the international success of DQXI, I feel like DQXOff is a shoo-in for a worldwide release eventually. That said I DO believe it's gonna come sometime after the JP release.

Quoted by: Leo

I recall reading Horii said he might remake I and II in 2D-HD after III, so IX might still take a while. I could see it being remade with X offline's assets by ArtePiazza or some other external studio, though.

DQ is packed with releases for the foreseeable future. They have III remake, Treasures, X offline and its expansions and XII. It might take a while until we hear about a new project. I still want VII and especially VIII in HD on the Switch, though. It's a crime you can't play DQVIII in HD anywhere (no I won't aknowledge the mobile port).

I recall reading Horii said he might remake I and II in 2D-HD after III, so IX might still take a while. I could see it being remade with X offline's assets by ArtePiazza or some other external studio, though.

DQ is packed with releases for the foreseeable future. They have III remake, Treasures, X offline and its expansions and XII. It might take a while until we hear about a new project. I still want VII and especially VIII in HD on the Switch, though. It's a crime you can't play DQVIII in HD anywhere (no I won't aknowledge the mobile port).
Oh he's WILDING OUT if he thinks DQ 1 or 2 should be remade over the MASTERPIECE that is DQ 5. Like SERIOUSLY. DQ 5 is one of the best games ever made.

I recently played DQVIII on pcsx2 and I got it too look really good and my pc aint even that great.

Oh he's WILDING OUT if he thinks DQ 1 or 2 should be remade over the MASTERPIECE that is DQ 5. Like SERIOUSLY. DQ 5 is one of the best games ever made.
IMO DQ5 would probably be better served by a full 3D remake in the style of DQ11, rather than HD-2D. Since it has a much more expanded focus on story compared to 1-3.

And it was already remade twice :p On PS2 and DS.

1/2 would make sense to build on the work they are doing with 3 and expand the lore/ties between the games.

I still maintain that Torna not being truly stand alone and requiring you to have finished XC2 was a missed opportunity.

Like, knowing the endgame events of that game enhance damn near everything about XC2 story-wise*. Like, Torna (the villain group) entrance scene goes from "lol obvious villains" to "HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THAT MALOS AND JIN?!!"

*Except Tora. Fuck Tora.

Direct hype cycle is all year long

The one-two of E3 and Autumn Direct this year actually left me very happy with the schedule almost all the way until next summer. Probably never in the Switch era been less thirsty for schedule hyping than I've been the last two months or so. But I can feel it's starting to build up a bit, not because the schedule is lacking anything for me (I have too much to play!) but because there are just so many fun rumours and expected titles!

I heard the DQ5 remake on ps2 was the definitive version of the game
I happen to like the DS version the most but I also just tend to prefer handheld RPGs more than home console.
IMO DQ5 would probably be better served by a full 3D remake in the style of DQ11, rather than HD-2D. Since it has a much more expanded focus on story compared to 1-3.
You're not wrong! They COULD polish up/remaster the PS2 version of DQ V I guess but I'd want them to include the DS stuff too.
And it was already remade twice :p On PS2 and DS.

1/2 would make sense to build on the work they are doing with 3 and expand the lore/ties between the games.
You're right but also DQ 5 absolutely deserves it more than 1 or 2.

V has already been completely remade twice on the PS2 and DS, though, so it might not be priority. And while I and II have been remade too, I think he wants to modernize them and make them more accessible as a point of entry in the franchise, which makes sense. They would most likely be packaged together and use III remake's assets, so I think it would be a nice thing to have that wouldn't take too many resources.

I don't think there's anyway DQX Offline doesn't get localized. DQX Online is Japan only because it was made that way back on the Wii or whatever, and MMOs are expensive to localize because you have to set up local servers and payment systems and whatnot. At this point, after the international success of DQXI, I feel like DQXOff is a shoo-in for a worldwide release eventually. That said I DO believe it's gonna come sometime after the JP release.

I do think it's coming to the west eventually too, but the uncertainty is unnerving (which is kinda nostalgic lol reminds me of the old days when we never knew if we would get a new DQ in the west). I also have no idea how they would handle the expansions in the west, that might the biggest challenge in localizing the game. In Japan they're coming as DLC, but I don't think the DLC format would work here as it probably wouldn't sell enought to warrant the localization (I heard each expansion is like an a new full game in lenght, so it's a lot of text). It wouldn't work as standalone titles either, so I really have no idea what they would do. They might be holding off on the localization precisely to wait until all the scheduled expansions are done so they can release all as one package, but I'm not sure that would be cost effectiove either, and it would mean we're 2-3 years away from the release.

It is certain it's not gonna be a simultaneous release, the game comes out in february in Japan already.

I REALLY wanna play it, damn it. The artstyle grew a lot on me and I think the game looks amazing in the new trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom